Religion Becomes Extinct in Several Countires

Also, I'm really not all that extreme. I've seen far worse examples than me here on this forum. In fact I don't really care what people believe. I don't think religion is really all that dangerous or anything. If it weren't religion another tool would be used to control the masses. Like say patriotism/nationalism or the hatred against a certain race. All you really need is an enemy. Whether it's real or not doesn't matter much.

Atheism is absence of religious faith by definition sir.
if you are also talking about it being an absence of ideological frameworks to contextualize the claims of theists, you are talking about something else other than contemporary society and its recorded history of the past few thousand years.
Whatever else tendencies atheists might have are individual.
far from it, they are derivative.

Many (as the text says) will be anti theists, naturalists and what not. Whether or not an atheist "bereft of the framework to contextualize the claims of theists" is purely individual.
Its certainly not individual. Its societal, unless you have a good argument for an atheist being totally confounded by the question "are you religious?"
I would guess in most cases no, but i can easily imagine an atheist who is not able to make this contextualization. I am talking about the words definition not sociology.
You can imagine an atheist being totally unable to rationalize what might lead a person to dis/believe there is a god?
What are you talking about?
I do also know for a fact that there are atheists that aren't antitheistic.
antitheistic is simply a political term.. Whatever credibility one is willing to lend to Cline and his writings, its in political circles.
In fact one of my closest atheist friends said: "People are totally entitled to their beliefs as long as they don't harm any other people or proselytize".
How would believing that they weren't entitled to such things help or hinder the ability to contextualize the claims of a theist?

He doesn't agree with my antitheistic ways at all and thinks that i should keep my mouth shut.
As mentioned before, talking about political agendas is one thing and talking about world views that frame them is something else

Also, I'm really not all that extreme. I've seen far worse examples than me here on this forum. In fact I don't really care what people believe. I don't think religion is really all that dangerous or anything. If it weren't religion another tool would be used to control the masses. Like say patriotism/nationalism or the hatred against a certain race. All you really need is an enemy. Whether it's real or not doesn't matter much.
There's your atheistic ideology for you
:eek:

If you can talk about the "real" nature of theists while simultaneously professing indignation about theists talking about the "real" nature of atheists, you have an ideology - plain and simple.

:shrug:

Last edited:
No. That's antitheism. You really have a hard time understanding it. I guess it is kinda difficult as the words have a somewhat similar spelling.

Atheism is absence of religion. Whether or not an atheist can contextualise religion doesn't matter. You can deny this fact as long as you want. It won't change for that reason.

The people posting on these forums that you debate with are probably antitheists most of them (myself included as a sort of moderate antitheist. I am married to a christian so i can't be that bad right? ;) ).

There's your atheistic ideology for you

If you can talk about the "real" nature of theists while simultaneously professing indignation about theists talking about the "real" nature of atheists, you have an ideology - plain and simple.

:shrug:

Unlike you i don't generalise. Atheists aren't a homogenous group. Just like the religious aren't.

No. That's antitheism. You really have a hard time understanding it. I guess it is kinda difficult as the words have a somewhat similar spelling.
the division Cline draws up between the two terms is simply a political gesture.
Once more, if you can cite where he refers to an atheist as being unable to contextualize the claims of a theist, and explain how this applies to all who one categories as "atheist", perhaps you would have a point.

Atheism is absence of religion. Whether or not an atheist can contextualise religion doesn't matter. You can deny this fact as long as you want. It won't change for that reason.
so the atheists have a hard time working out who the "real" guys are?

The people posting on these forums that you debate with are probably antitheists most of them (myself included as a sort of moderate antitheist. I am married to a christian so i can't be that bad right? ;) ).
any person who identifies as an atheist is buying into an ontological claim - never mind if there is a variety of views on how to politically (or even apolitically) establish it . Its as simple as that.

Opposition to theism

An antitheist is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "One opposed to belief in the existence of a god." The earliest citation given for this meaning is from 1833. An antitheist may be opposed to belief in the existence of any god or gods, and not merely one in particular. The concept allows a distinction to be drawn between the simple indifference or apathy towards theism, atheism, or agnosticism (cf. apatheism), and a position of antipathy or opposition towards such beliefs. Hence, Stefan Baumrin defines an "antitheist" as "one who actually espouses atheism and would try to convince theists of the error of their ways. A mere atheist might think, or even write, as in a diary or a wellworked manuscript to be left in a locked desk drawer these words but would never broadcast them." [1]

Antitheism has been adopted as a label by those who take the view that theism is dangerous or destructive. One example of this view is demonstrated in Letters to a Young Contrarian (2001), in which Christopher Hitchens writes: "I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful."[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism

How much "ontological basis" does one require to have a lack of belief?
This is what LG seems to keep missing.
Agreed some atheists go further than lack of belief, but the point remains...

How much "ontological basis" does one require to have a lack of belief?
just enough to contextualize the claims of persons who don't have a lack of belief I guess ....
This is what LG seems to keep missing.
Agreed some atheists go further than lack of belief, but the point remains...
So you think an atheist, by definition, is confused about which camp is making the "real" claim?

just enough to contextualize the claims of persons who don't have a lack of belief I guess ....
Assumption again. Please try to stay on track. What does contextualising others' claims have to do with a lack of belief in oneself?

So you think an atheist, by definition, is confused about which camp is making the "real" claim?
Nope. Where's does "confusion" come into it?

Assumption again. Please try to stay on track. What does contextualising others' claims have to do with a lack of belief in oneself?
You don't think having a personal lack of belief in god renders one automatically capable of contextualizing the claims others make to the effect that god is real?
(assuming of course we are not talking about some orphaned child raised by wild buffalo in remote Africa or some other absurd example you might call upon to define "atheist" in manner totally divorced from its common application)

Nope. Where's does "confusion" come into it?
Where you have a person with an asserted disbelief in something encountering a person with an asserted belief in it.
Are you trying to say that the default position of an atheist encountering a theist is "I am wrong"?

Where you have a person with an asserted disbelief in something encountering a person with an asserted belief in it.
Are you trying to say that the default position of an atheist encountering a theist is "I am wrong"?
I may be missing the point here, but what's wrong with the position "I think you are wrong but I can't be certain."? There is no confusion in that position.

I may be missing the point here, but what's wrong with the position "I think you are wrong but I can't be certain."? There is no confusion in that position.
sure, no confusion ...... thanks to having recourse to a framework to contextualize the claims of others (aka ideology)

Ideology? Sure, if by ideology you mean not assuming extraordinary claims, for which there is no evidence, to be true.

You don't think having a personal lack of belief in god renders one automatically capable of contextualizing the claims others make to the effect that god is real?
Nope, I'm saying that, in some cases, the response is "Oh okay that's what you believe. But I don't". End of story.

Back