Rape and the "Civilized" World

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't default to them. You do. It's your strategy, not mine.
But they aren't.

You are the only one who insists this is the extent one has to go to to prevent rape.

:shrug:

You haven't even given one example of its limitation. Feel free to provide a quote where you, or anyone else, has provided that outer boundary.
we certainly have

You can usually find the quotes at the end of every time you ask this question

Are you kidding me? How many times have I talked about self-defense, carrying pepper spray, or a gun? How many times have I talked about awareness? I endorsed the free advice given on the second website you linked to.
all of which are unlimited and oppressive by the same twisted logic you insist projecting through your thought cage.

you're a joke at this point.
Will the irony never end?

I'm asking an honest question. Your obsessive use of shrugs and repetitive phrases brings the disorder to mind. I'm trying to discern if it's just laziness, a lack of wit, or something you honestly can't help.
Sure you are asking .. its just that you don't have an interest in having your question answered

But they aren't.

Who's they? Animal and his ladyfriend at nononsenseselfdefense.com certainly are. Your own strategy is open-ended, and you've failed at every juncture to define boundaries, so your own strategy is as well.

You are the only one who insists this is the extent one has to go to to prevent rape.

No. I'm saying that your strategy mandates women go to that extend to prevent being blamed for rape. We all agree that there are sensible strategies that can be adopted, we simply don't agree that women should be expected to go as far as you say they do, or that there's no outer boundary. We don't advocate strategies that end up putting blame on women--you do.

we certainly have

You can usually find the quotes at the end of every time you ask this question

You never have. Not once. You've only claimed that you have outer boundaries; you've never defined them.

all of which are unlimited and oppressive by the same twisted logic you insist projecting through your thought cage.

Never said any such thing, nor have I implied it. If a woman wants to take those steps, fine. I'm not claiming that taking those steps is all that effective in preventing rape, nor am I saying that women should be expected to essentially pay for the right to not be raped, be it through self-defense courses or weapon purchases. My "twisted logic" is that women have a right to expect a reasonable amount of safe passage in our society. Your actual twisted logic is that women are able and expected to virtually eliminate their chances of being raped.

Will the irony never end?

Apparently not.

Sure you are asking .. its just that you don't have an interest in having your question answered

Of course I do. It's the difference between thinking you're a useless asshole and thinking you're unable to help yourself.

I think I have my answer.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell this question has to do with what we're talking about. You're apparently leading to some larger point, so why not just go ahead and make it?

I would but you wouldn't understand.

But what the heck; I will give it a try.

It is up to a woman to decide when to get an abortion. I can advise her on what to do - but it is up to her, not me, not you. Her.
It is up to a woman to decide what lengths she wants to go to to prevent rape. I can advise her on what to do - but it is up to her, not me, not you. Her.

What about that don't you understand?

And as soon as you address any of the points I raised in my reply to you, feel free to criticize me for ducking questions.

I've answered all your questions, even when you seem completely unable to answer mine, apparently because you fear answering them will cause your position to collapse. (Which is a good reason to not answer them, I imagine - but does reveal the intellectual bankruptcy of your position.)

It is up to a woman to decide when to get an abortion. I can advise her on what to do - but it is up to her, not me, not you. Her.
It is up to a woman to decide what lengths she wants to go to to prevent rape. I can advise her on what to do - but it is up to her, not me, not you. Her.

So rather than address the question of outer boundaries of prevention advocacy, you've gone ahead and removed yourself from the debate.

No one is discussing what a woman is physically capable of doing, but what strategies should be advocated to her. Your earlier implication suggested that she is responsible for her own rape; this reframing of your position now means you haven't addressed the question whatsoever. In other words, you're bailing out.

I'm guessing you simply failed to understand the question, since this clearly isn't your intent. Let's try again (and please pay attention this time): What are the outer boundaries of rape prevention advocacy?

I've answered all your questions, even when you seem completely unable to answer mine, apparently because you fear answering them will cause your position to collapse. (Which is a good reason to not answer them, I imagine - but does reveal the intellectual bankruptcy of your position.)

I've answered all of your questions. "I don't know" is an answer. You might not like it, but it's an answer.

Now, to you ducking my questions, if you haven't, then you should have no trouble pointing out where exactly you've done this. I'll wait here while you gather the information.

I'm glad that someone finally found a way to say that.

We've all been saying that from the very beginning. This is the central straw man you and your ilk haven't been able to avoid falling back on. No one here has said prevention advocacy as a concept is a bad thing. We've simply disagreed with virtually all of the strategies provided in this thread. We disagree with the premise that a woman is capable of reliably preventing her own rape outside of taking extreme and oppressive measures. We disagree with the open-ended nature of the strategies advocated by you, LG, bilvon, and others. We disagree that a woman should be expected to do anything other than live her life and exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger.

You see, this whole thread is based on the fallacy that rape is a byproduct of female carelessness. Most of the advice offered by the misogynist idiots here reflects that. (Dress conservatively, stop drinking in public, etc.)

(Note: When I say "this whole thread," I'm referring to the arguments made by the prevention advocates, not the thread itself, which was started by Tiassa for another purpose)

What strategies did you have in mind?

Trust your instincts, be loud when you're in a threatening situation, be aware of your location, don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing. Things like that. I wouldn't advise taking self-defense courses or carrying pepper spray, because I think it teaches women that they have to effectively pay for the right to be safe, but if a woman thinks she needs it, or simply feels better with it, then so be it.

Perhaps you haven't realised it yet, but your question is patronising. Is it for you, a man, to ask or debate when women should get an abortion?

It goes to the whole central basis of the misogyny of open ended rape prevention.

It's not for you to tell women what their responsibilities are when it comes to their own bodies and minds. Your argument would be akin to my telling you that it is your responsibility to make sure you can get a hard on each time you are to have sex. In other words, it's none of my business and my doing so would be reducing you to nothing more than a sexual object. Ergo, when you tell me, that it is my responsibility to prevent myself from being raped, you are being misogynistic, because underlying that demand, whether you deny it or not, is the premise that if I fail to go above and beyond what I could do (which, in effect, would be to alter my life completely) and I am raped, then I am somehow responsible because I did not take all necessary steps that I could have taken.

But if I take all those steps, then my life ceases to be enjoyable.

In other words, Billvon, if I am to do everything that I can to prevent being raped, if I am to take your argument to heart that it is my responsibility to do what I can to prevent being raped, then I would have to cease associating with all males. Because that would be the only way that I could guarantee that I prevent all male rape. Now, that is a ridiculous proposition. But when I get men like you and LG and even women like Wynn, telling me that it is my responsibility to prevent being raped, and questioned about whether I want to be raped or not if I do not employ all the tools available at my disposal to prevent rape, anything I do not do to prevent my own rape, leaves open the fact that I obviously did not do what I could to prevent being raped.. in short, I would have failed in my responsibilities to myself. And it is an obscene position to be placed in.

”billvon” said:
Moving right along, to something more reasonable: There are limits to the advocacy of precaution in facing the risks of drunken drivers. People don't actually advocate, as a matter of personal adult responsibility, that sober drivers stay off the roads driven by drunks, never drive when drunks are driving, take expensive classes in skilled maneuvering to avoid drunks, buy only cars capable of quick drunk dodging, drive only in packs whenever drunks might be around, have their cars towed and get rides in safer vehicles such as buses or limos rather than risk drunken driver scenes, choose where they live and work and play with drunken driver avoidance in mind, and so forth.
Incorrect.
No. Correct. Consider your response:
Consider the following statements:

"Be really careful tonight, honey. It's New Years Eve, and there will be a lot of people out driving drunk."
"This car has side impact airbags. You may never need them, but if a drunk driver runs a red light and hits you, it could save your life."
"I'll buy that car, but I want a third party mechanic to inspect the brakes and steering, because those are the things that could save my life."
"Dude, you've had too many. Here, I'll call you a cab."

People DO take precautions to prevent being hit and killed by drunk drivers. They DO take defensive driving courses. They DO buy cars that can keep them alive in accidents that are not their fault. They DO try to prevent drunk driving by keeping drunks off the road. All those preventative actions have resulted in a significant decline in drunk driving.
But they don’t take the kinds of precautions I listed. They take general safety precautions that don’t oppress their own daily lives, and no more is expected of them or advocated for them as "reasonable" or “responsible adults” . And that is the critical point – there are limits to the precautions people advocate by potential victims against the risk of drunk drivers. Your alteration of the examples, your replacement of mine with more reasonable ones, shows your awareness of this.

”billvon” said:
But people like you want to prevent women from taking the same kind of precautions against assault. Odd.
This is now bordering on flat dishonesty, as you steadily approach the lg and wynn territory label you objected to earlier. No quote from me can illustrate such a bizarre assertion.
”billvon” said:
Such precautions, although doubtless effective, are not often or seriously advocated because such advocacy would be oppressive, assignations of responsibility to the wrong adults, promotion of practices characteristic of living in fear.

Only you (and your fellow submission advocates) think that. People do in fact take precautions against being killed in accidents that are not their fault. Most people consider it completely normal to say "please be careful tonight, there are a lot of drunks on the road." The person told this generally does not find this "oppressive, assignations of responsibility to the wrong adults, promotion of practices characteristic of living in fear." (Unless, of course, they are submission advocates.)
1) You have substituted reasonable precautions for the ones I listed, which makes your entire post irrelevant as a response to mine. The nature of the precautions advocated is the central issue here – whether you, or any precaution advocate here, is capable of setting boundaries and limits on the precautions you advocate, the precautions a woman is expected to take to be – in your terms, explicitly from you earlier – a “reasonable adult” who has “taken responsibility” for her safety. I deliberately chose unreasonable precautions no one advocates, to illustrate that there are in fact limits on the advocacy of precaution by potential victims against drunken drivers. My observation is that you still have not acknowledged the necessity of such limits on potential victim precautions in the prevention of rape, and this directly implies an advocacy of oppression and misogynistic social norms in fact – not a theoretical matter either, but rather one of which we have abundant examples in real life.
And this distinction between reasonable and unreasonable precautions for women as advocated by those who advocate essentially nothing – no inconveniences or oppressive precautionary social norms – for men, is the central, thoroughly and plainly explicated, major issue on this thread. You cannot possibly have missed it, cannot still be confused in this matter. Which means, since this is your fourth or fifth such offense against integrity and good faith discussion, that now you are lying, OK? You’ve jumped the shark. There is not one single submission advocate on this thread, you know that or have no excuse for not knowing it, and your use of the term is dishonest.

We've all been saying that from the very beginning. This is the central straw man you and your ilk haven't been able to avoid falling back on.
BS. I don't fall back on anything of the sort. Answer the question.
Originally Posted by Balerion
We all agree that there are sensible strategies that can be adopted...
Originally Posted by Randwolf
I'm glad that someone finally found a way to say that. What strategies did you have in mind?
So what strategies did you have in mind?

No one here has said prevention advocacy as a concept is a bad thing.
Yes they have. Based on the premise that any prevention advocacy is a transfer of blame and responsibility to the victim.

We've simply disagreed with virtually all of the strategies provided in this thread.
You haven't simply done anything. What you've done is propose a convoluted and twisted form of logic to achieve your own ends. While this logic may be traceable (barely) it diverts productive discussion more than anything else. I can see how taking your premise and running with it to the extreme could lead one to the conclusion that somehow a victim is to blame for their own assault. I do not believe that this is what most members are trying to achieve.

I think you are exploiting semantics and being willfully obtuse. That is your right, and your shortcoming.

We disagree with the premise that a woman is capable of reliably preventing her own rape outside of taking extreme and oppressive measures.
I don't believe that a person (why the insistence on "woman" J? Men can be raped too ya' know...) is capable of absolutely and definitively preventing rape. I have never asserted such. This is where the cognitive dissonance comes in on your part. After the fact, a victim is a victim, period. Before the fact, I prefer to believe that one can exercise some influence over your likelihood of being a victim of violent crime in the first place. Your way paints futileness and fatalism. Bully for you, I choose to disagree.

We disagree with the open-ended nature of the strategies advocated by you, LG, bilvon, and others.
I call BS again. If it were that simple we would find common ground somewhere and proceed. For example, we would find consensus that people shouldn't indulge in communicating rape fantasies and requesting that a prospective partner carry them out. Then we could proceed to discuss what "boundaries" are reasonable. Instead, we start by asserting, vehemently, that any attempt at reducing or minimizing risk of violent crime is pointless and transfers the responsibililty to the victim. This is the cognitive dissonance that boggles me. How is it better to propose that there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that any individual can do to lower their chances of assault?

We disagree that a woman should be expected to do anything other than live her life and exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger.
Fuckin' BINGO. We do NOT disagree here. I wholeheartedly endorse that no one should "do anything other than live her life and exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger." This is where your blinders prevent you from seeing the simple bare truth of what (I think) many have been saying. All anyone should do is "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger" My point from the beginning. Thank you again for translating that into English. I wish I had thought of such a simple and concise way of putting it.

You see, this whole thread is based on the fallacy that rape is a byproduct of female carelessness.
No it's not. The contention arises from the reaction received by anyone with the temerity to state that people can reduce their risk of violent crime by "exercise[ing] the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger."

Most of the advice offered by the misogynist idiots here reflects that. (Dress conservatively, stop drinking in public, etc.)
Really? Seriously? We (my friends and I) generally stop drinking alcohol and start "exercise[ing] the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger." You mean you don't? Or you just wouldn't advise a potential rape victim to do so? Hmmm?

Trust your instincts, be loud when you're in a threatening situation, be aware of your location, don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing.
Wow. Those bits sound an awful lot like prevention advocacy. Imagine that...

Things like that. I wouldn't advise taking self-defense courses or carrying pepper spray, because I think it teaches women that they have to effectively pay for the right to be safe, but if a woman thinks she needs it, or simply feels better with it, then so be it.
I'm glad you're comfortable enough with such patronizing condescension to advise women that way. I couldn't pull it off, but hey - each to their own.

I'm going to stick with an outer boundary defined thusly: Advice to all - "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger". Got any problems with that Balerion?

They take general safety precautions that don’t oppress their own daily lives, and no more is expected of them or advocated for them as "reasonable" or “responsible adults” .
My but I'm nearly overwhelmed. We're making such progress tonight. I'm so glad that so many members are acknowledging the existence of "general safety precautions that don’t oppress their own daily lives" and realizing that '"no more is expected of them or advocated for them as "reasonable" or “responsible adults”'. Such breakthroughs give me giddy hope for us all...

BS. I don't fall back on anything of the sort.

Of course you do. You just said that someone "finally" said what I said, when it has been said numerous times by numerous posters, including me in several posts prior to the one you quoted.

Yes they have. Based on the premise that any prevention advocacy is a transfer of blame and responsibility to the victim.

Straw man (per usual). As Tiassa stated in post #744

All of it could be cleared up with an affirmative outer boundary that would allow us to consider the merits and implications of a finite prevention theory.

As I've noted before, when we're telling women to not listen to music or use their mobile phones as they move through the city, there is a problem. It's a quality of life issue, a matter of human rights. This is the context against which a finite prevention theory can be tested and measured.

For whatever reason, our neighbors seem to disdain that proposition.

So they leave their theory infinite, and simply identify against the implications.

It's useless (and kind of impossible) to meaningfully discuss finite prevention theories when the only ones being promoted by you and your friends are open-ended. That said, no one here has spoken out against all prevention measures, and I myself have personally advocated certain measures in this thread. So your point is straw, again.

You haven't simply done anything. What you've done is propose a convoluted and twisted form of logic to achieve your own ends. While this logic may be traceable (barely) it diverts productive discussion more than anything else. I can see how taking your premise and running with it to the extreme could lead one to the conclusion that somehow a victim is to blame for their own assault.

What you call "extreme" is really just the natural conclusion one is lead to when presented with the rape prevention theories found in this thread: If it is up to the woman to decide what constitutes reasonable action, then any action becomes reasonable--up to and including ridiculous extremes such as avoiding social situations with potential rapists. Likewise, no action becomes unreasonable, meaning that any woman can be accused of failing to act reasonably in her own defense. This isn't twisted logic, it's just plain old regular logical logic. It's 1+1=2. As I've said a hundred times in this thread, you can't divorce responsibility from accountability. You're saying that there is this invisible and contradictory place where even though the woman didn't adopt reasonable measures to protect herself--and therefore put herself in harm's way--that she isn't accountable. Well, hey, that's all well and good...but it's not logical.

I do not believe that this is what most members are trying to achieve.

I would agree to some extent. At least in your case, and even bilvon's, I think what you're doing is being the radical lefty buffoon who needs to find a cause to get upset about. You hear people disagreeing with open-ended prevention strategies and you immediately (and irrationally) think to yourself, "They're trying to say women aren't capable of defending themselves!" You're really just reacting against perceived misogyny, which is what makes your involvement in this so ironic. You're standing alongside people who have advised that women stop drinking in public, stop dressing like sluts, and even one who blamed a 3-year-old for her own sexual assault. This is the company you find yourself in while trying to "protect" the image of women. As I said before:

I'm beginning to think some of the prevention advocates here simply haven't given it much thought.

I think you are exploiting semantics and being willfully obtuse.

I'd love to know how this is a semantic issue.

I don't believe that a person (why the insistence on "woman" J? Men can be raped too ya' know...) is capable of absolutely and definitively preventing rape. I have never asserted such. This is where the cognitive dissonance comes in on your part. After the fact, a victim is a victim, period. Before the fact, I prefer to believe that one can exercise some influence over your likelihood of being a victim of violent crime in the first place. Your way paints futileness and fatalism. Bully for you, I choose to disagree.

And herein is the straw man that begat this whole shebang.

Stranger rape is a statistical minority. Most rapes are committed by people who know their victim. The very idea of suggesting that women are raped because they're putting themselves in that situation is absurd, not to mention insulting. Most women who are raped have no reason whatsoever to mistrust the individual who commits the crime. So how does one then decrease their likelihood of being a victim? Aside from very simple things like the ones I mentioned before, there really aren't any reasonable steps that can be taken.

If only one of you clowns would own up to that, we could move on.

As to why the insistence on "woman," I have used gender-neutral terms like "potential victim" before--even in this post--but this is really about women. Whether it's you, who argues that women are being written off as helpless infants by us, or we who argue that misogyny is at the core of arguments by wynn and LG, this is all really about women.

I call BS again. If it were that simple we would find common ground somewhere and proceed. For example, we would find consensus that people shouldn't indulge in communicating rape fantasies and requesting that a prospective partner carry them out.

And how, exactly, do you figure that? The disagreement is fundamental--open-ended strategies versus finite strategies--so agreeing that people shouldn't engage in rape fantasies isn't going to get us anywhere. (Not to mention that it's another bloody straw man: "Women are raped because they engage in rape fantasies and the man doesn't know when to stop") We need to know the boundaries. Until then, we won't get anywhere.

Then we could proceed to discuss what "boundaries" are reasonable. Instead, we start by asserting, vehemently, that any attempt at reducing or minimizing risk of violent crime is pointless and transfers the responsibililty to the victim. This is the cognitive dissonance that boggles me. How is it better to propose that there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that any individual can do to lower their chances of assault?

Yet another straw man.

We are all open to discussing boundaries. You would do well to establish them. But you've failed to at every opportunity. You've even gone so far as to say you don't have to establish them. Well, you're right, you don't. But if you want to disassociate yourself from folks like LG, establishing boundaries would be a good start.

Fuckin' BINGO. We do NOT disagree here. I wholeheartedly endorse that no one should "do anything other than live her life and exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger." This is where your blinders prevent you from seeing the simple bare truth of what (I think) many have been saying. All anyone should do is "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger" My point from the beginning. Thank you again for translating that into English. I wish I had thought of such a simple and concise way of putting it.

Then why haven't you said so from the very beginning?

Again, this is what Tiassa was talking about. You give boundaries lip service, but fail to actually establish what those boundaries might be. The closest anyone has come is bilvon, whom promptly advocated a theory that mandates women take some form of blame if they are ever raped.

All you had to do was say what I just said. But you didn't. For whatever reason.

No it's not. The contention arises from the reaction received by anyone with the temerity to state that people can reduce their risk of violent crime by "exercise[ing] the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger."

No, you're strawmanning again. The implications have been that women are raped because they are careless, and rape would stop if they would change their behavior. No one has argued against prevention strategies as a concept. It simply has not happened. People have argued against open-ended and victim-blaming strategies and theories, as well as a ton of misinformation, such as the idea that women can reduce their chances of being raped to "virtually zero," which was found in a link provided by LG, and then endorsed by your friend bilvon.

Really? Seriously? We (my friends and I) generally stop drinking alcohol and start "exercise[ing] the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger." You mean you don't? Or you just wouldn't advise a potential rape victim to do so? Hmmm?

The suggestion from LG was not that women stop drinking in public when they think they're in danger, but stop drinking in public because it might lead to rape. Certainly you can see the difference between the two strategies.

Oh, and he also said women should at least stop drinking when someone they don't like is hitting on them. Because, you know, he might be a rapist.

Wow. Those bits sound an awful lot like prevention advocacy. Imagine that...

Are you still strawmanning? Even after I said...

We all agree that there are sensible strategies that can be adopted...

I mean, seriously? Is this all just an ego-defense thing for you? You can't have an "Ah-ha" moment, so you're just going to pretend you did?

I'm glad you're comfortable enough with such patronizing condescension to advise women that way. I couldn't pull it off, but hey - each to their own.

So if I'm against prevention strategies, I'm a submission advocate, but when I'm actually advocating prevention, I'm patronizingly condescending them?

I'm going to stick with an outer boundary defined thusly: Advice to all - "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger". Got any problems with that Balerion?

I'm glad to hear it. It's only too bad you wasted everyone's time by refusing to do so a dozen posts ago.

My but I'm nearly overwhelmed. We're making such progress tonight. I'm so glad that so many members are acknowledging the existence of "general safety precautions that don’t oppress their own daily lives" and realizing that '"no more is expected of them or advocated for them as "reasonable" or “responsible adults”'. Such breakthroughs give me giddy hope for us all...

This stuff has been said from the start. Your claim that we are against all prevention strategies is and always has been a straw man.

This stuff has been said from the start. Your claim that we are against all prevention strategies is and always has been a straw man.
then feel free to explain how such precautions/strategies you apparently don't have a problem with are not open ended, since you have stated numerous times that you are yet to receive an adequate answer.

All anyone should do is "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger" My point from the beginning. Thank you again for translating that into English. I wish I had thought of such a simple and concise way of putting it.
Then why haven't you said so from the very beginning?
I'm still in the process of giving your post a careful reading and formulating a reply but this question stopped me in my tracks. Seriously? This.. is.. exactly.. what.. I've been saying from the beginning. Beginning six years ago.

All anyone should do is "exercise the same caution we all do when we think we're in danger"

That was my introduction to beloved Sci. I asserted this in the "Rape thread" of that time. I have been saying it ever since. So the very beginning goes back almost until your beginning. Pardon me, just wanted to point that out. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Wow. All of that for nothing.
Do you dispute this admonition Balerion?

I'll keep the reply to a minimum in the (perhaps futile) hope that you are capable of assimilating and replying directly to the question as it is phrased. Is that even possible?

Edit: Never mind. It's quite apparent that you don't even have the courage of your own convictions. So be it...

I'm still in the process of giving your post a careful reading and formulating a reply but this question stopped me in my tracks. Seriously? This.. is.. exactly.. what.. I've been saying from the beginning. Beginning six years ago.

Then why did you say this:

I get to assert that subjective ideals, limits and boundaries exist without having to enumerate them.

Here you are subscribing to bilvon's open-ended theory. Now you agree with me. Don't get me wrong, you're certainly moving in the right direction, but let's not pretend that this was always your position. At least not in this thread. You began with "Do as you see fit" and concluded with "Do as we all do."

I should remind you that you've also discussed several straw men regarding rape, such as the "rape fantasy" bit.

That was my introduction to beloved Sci. I asserted this in the "Rape thread" of that time. I have been saying it ever since. So the very beginning goes back almost until your beginning. Pardon me, just wanted to point that out. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I don't recall that thread, but you certainly haven't promoted this here.

Wow. All of that for nothing.Do you dispute this admonition Balerion?

Of course not. You've finally establish that outer boundary. Good for you! Again, I only wish you had done so earlier.

I'll keep the reply to a minimum in the (perhaps futile) hope that you are capable of assimilating and replying directly to the question as it is phrased. Is that even possible?

You'll have to forgive my initial response, because my surprise at you actually establishing a boundary that you had repeatedly failed to--flat-out refused to, even--took precedent over your question.

No, I do not have a problem with that as a maxim. However, I do wonder how that would qualify as prevention advocacy. Is that something which needs to be said? I would think such a broad and vague idea would be utterly useless to people who find themselves in those situations. And, as has been pointed out many times, it likely doesn't help the woman who is raped by a person they know.

Edit: Never mind. It's quite apparent that you don't even have the courage of your own convictions. So be it...

And how do you figure that? Why am I even asking? All you're going to do is knock down another straw man.

then feel free to explain how such precautions/strategies you apparently don't have a problem with are not open ended,

You need me to explain to you how these...

Trust your instincts, be loud when you're in a threatening situation, be aware of your location, don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing.

...are not open-ended? Really?

The fact remains that while these constitute good advice, they're not exactly anything anyone needs to be told. This is why rape prevention advocacy is a misnomer. Your goal isn't really to prevent rape--that's not really something anyone can reasonably do without a great deal of luck--but to find ways to blame the victim for their rape. Because, as you've shown before, you believe the woman is ultimately at fault, and that there is nothing that can be done for the man who rapes her.

since you have stated numerous times that you are yet to receive an adequate answer.

More incoherence. What does this have to do with the rest of the sentence?

You need me to explain to you how these...

...are not open-ended? Really?
but then you kindly brought to our attention that alcohol consumption (which affects awareness of location) and associating with the no. 1 hazard category of "man" (which apparently dictates something one should not be comfortable with) are prime examples of open ended prevention theory ... so welcome to the club I guess ....

The fact remains that while these constitute good advice, they're not exactly anything anyone needs to be told.
Of course not.

In fact you could say that they are elementary to the issues of risk assessment and management.

This doesn't mean however that upon coming to the wonderful conclusion that its a neat idea to be safe, that all practical considerations for identifying hazards and implementing strategies are automatically arrived at.

This is why rape prevention advocacy is a misnomer. Your goal isn't really to prevent rape--that's not really something anyone can reasonably do without a great deal of luck--but to find ways to blame the victim for their rape. Because, as you've shown before, you believe the woman is ultimately at fault, and that there is nothing that can be done for the man who rapes her.
The irony is that you cannot even provide examples of rape prevention that can evade the extreme absurdity of your ideas on how open-ended strategies equates with oppression.

More incoherence. What does this have to do with the rest of the sentence?
too late to feign ignorance.

You have already revealed how you too cannot meet your own ridiculous standard of closure in prevention strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back