Prerequisites for Spiritual Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
LightGigantic produces an argument which, when considered, is actually rather intriguing:

Before one can deal with any issue, one must become socialized in the culture that produces such answers and of course, must go through the processes. Accordingly, in order to speak of electrons and neutrons one must be encultured into the broader scientific community and engage in the discipline of science in a scientific manner to achieve one's results. When taken to religion, this might imply work - such as meditation, prayer, et cetera - in order to gain results. Accordingly, one cannot out right refute a religion dependent on such things without having gone through them.

On the other hand...I'd strongly disagree that this extends to philosophic principles, as opposed to what might be considered experiential/mystic. For philosophic principles fundamentally rest on something we all have equal access to, namely, reason. Accordingly, no one - including a slave boy, as Socrates demonstrated - is alien to the process of reason. Hence, there can be no special knowledge or process needed to verify any of the overall claims of a religion, such as the problem of evil, the nature of God, et cetera, et cetera...

Philosophy (or jnana, as it is referred to in the vedas) is accepted as capable of illuminating the nature of the absolute

the perfection of jnana is stated in BG 13.3 - To understand the distinction between the material field (ksetra - matter - the seen) and the knower of the field (ksetrajna - the knower of the field - the seer) is called knowledge (jnanam)

so of course there is a long road to travel between where ever one may be as a philosopher to the perfection of philosophy, but here are some instructions on what are advised as favourable qualities that can enable one rapid progress in philosophical inquiry

BG 13.8-12: Humility; pridelessness; nonviolence; tolerance; simplicity; approaching a bona fide spiritual master; cleanliness; steadiness; self-control; renunciation of the objects of sense gratification; absence of false ego; the perception of the evil of birth, death, old age and disease; detachment; freedom from entanglement with children, wife, home and the rest; even-mindedness amid pleasant and unpleasant events; constant and unalloyed devotion to Me; aspiring to live in a solitary place; detachment from the general mass of people; accepting the importance of self-realization; and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth — all these I declare to be knowledge, and besides this whatever there may be is ignorance.

basically reason functions through the medium of what one perceives to be natural - like for instance it is perfectly reasonable for a tyrant to assinate his opposition, it is completely reasonable for an alcoholic to spend 95% of their social security pay cheque on booze the first day they receive it etc etc.

so obviously the more one's consciousness is uncontaminated, tehmore effective the reason

In vedic literature there are three general platforms of existence called the gunas (sattva - goodness, rajas - passion, tamas - ignorance) or the three modes of material nature.

there are numerous references through out the vedas on the symptoms of adopting a world view under a mode of nature

14.6: O sinless one, the mode of goodness, being purer than the others, is illuminating, and it frees one from all sinful reactions. Those situated in that mode become conditioned by a sense of happiness and knowledge.

BG 14.7: The mode of passion is born of unlimited desires and longings, O son of Kuntī, and because of this the embodied living entity is bound to material fruitive actions.

BG 14.8: O son of Bharata, know that the mode of darkness, born of ignorance, is the delusion of all embodied living entities. The results of this mode are madness, indolence and sleep, which bind the conditioned soul.

here is a quot e that talks about different types of knowledge under the modes

BG 14.17: From the mode of goodness, real knowledge develops; from the mode of passion, greed develops; and from the mode of ignorance develop foolishness, madness and illusion.

from this we can understand that a majority of what goes down as knowledge in the name of science (and practically anything else, even religion) is under the modes of passion and ignorance (since the results of such knolwedge commonly culminate in greed, exploitation, madness, etc

Even religious activities like penance are defined according to the modes of nature

BG 17.14: Austerity of the body consists in worship of the Supreme Lord, the brāhmaṇas, the spiritual master, and superiors like the father and mother, and in cleanliness, simplicity, celibacy and nonviolence.

BG 17.15: Austerity of speech consists in speaking words that are truthful, pleasing, beneficial, and not agitating to others, and also in regularly reciting Vedic literature.

BG 17.16: And satisfaction, simplicity, gravity, self-control and purification of one's existence are the austerities of the mind.

BG 17.17: This threefold austerity, performed with transcendental faith by men not expecting material benefits but engaged only for the sake of the Supreme, is called austerity in goodness.

BG 17.18: Penance performed out of pride and for the sake of gaining respect, honor and worship is said to be in the mode of passion. It is neither stable nor permanent.

BG 17.19: Penance performed out of foolishness, with self-torture or to destroy or injure others, is said to be in the mode of ignorance.
even food is catagorized according to the modes

BG 17.8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

BG 17.9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

BG 17.10: Food prepared more than three hours before being eaten, food that is tasteless, decomposed and putrid, and food consisting of remnants and untouchable things is dear to those in the mode of darkness.

many things can be defined by the three modes of nature - like I said there are numerous quotes

SB 11.25.2-5: Mind and sense control, tolerance, discrimination, sticking to one's prescribed duty, truthfulness, mercy, careful study of the past and future, satisfaction in any condition, generosity, renunciation of sense gratification, faith in the spiritual master, being embarrassed at improper action, charity, simplicity, humbleness and satisfaction within oneself are qualities of the mode of goodness. Material desire, great endeavor, audacity, dissatisfaction even in gain, false pride, praying for material advancement, considering oneself different and better than others, sense gratification, rash eagerness to fight, a fondness for hearing oneself praised, the tendency to ridicule others, advertising one's own prowess and justifying one's actions by one's strength are qualities of the mode of passion. Intolerant anger, stinginess, speaking without scriptural authority, violent hatred, living as a parasite, hypocrisy, chronic fatigue, quarrel, lamentation, delusion, unhappiness, depression, sleeping too much, false expectations, fear and laziness constitute the major qualities of the mode of ignorance. Now please hear about the combination of these three modes.

thus the conclusion is that reason, or philsophy, is more successful to the degree that it is in line with the mode of goodness (sattva guna).

Practically it is seen that everyone, from the most materially pious to the most wretched, is a mixture of these modes - the modes are constantly vying for supremacy - thus a person may think in the mode of passion, work in the mode of goodness and eat in the mode of ignorance, and the next day think in the mode of goodness, work in the mode of ignorance and eat in the mod eof passion.

Successful religiousity culminates in transcending these three modes (suddha sattva - constant goodness) - the initial platform of religiousity (transcendence) much the same as the initial platform for reason (philosophy) is the mode of goodness.
Since it is clearly stated in Bhagavad-gītā that the material modes of nature constantly rotate, one must take advantage of an elevated position in material goodness to step onto the transcendental platform. Otherwise, as the wheel of time turns one will again go into the darkness of material ignorance.
http://srimadbhagavatam.com/11/13/1/en

there is the analogy that if one wants to catch a plane, one must go to the airport (as opposed to trying to hail it from one's balcony). Similarly if one wants to approach the absolute truth/transcendence one must do so via sattva guna

actually jnana (philosophy) and bhakti (devotional service to the supreme personality of godhead) are nondifferent

when intelligence develops and remains constantly in the mind it becomes wisdom (jnana)
when wisdom, issuing with life's actions( having intergrated with it), it becomes bhakti (the perfection of religiousity)
knowledge when it becomes fully mature is bhakti
If knolwedge fails to get transformed into bhakti it is useless
to say that jnana and bhakti are different from each other is ignorance (ie symptomatic of conditioned life)

Last edited:
Spidergoat:

Looking in a microscope is hardly an esoteric procedure, requiring the acceptance of a culture.

Try telling that to someone that denies the reliability of the senses. Or has no idea that things can be magnified. Moreover, it is very likely that the majority of scientific claims are outside the ken of the average person to comprehend or even be exposed to. Very few of us will ever see atoms through powerful electron microscopes, or gaze through unfiltered hubble Deep Field images. In as much as that is true, it even has a similar structure to a church. Only a privileged few are really "in" science.

Q:

Fair enough. But, what exactly does one master with religion? It would appear the only "requirement" to master a religion is a suspension of disbelief. The rest is ritual.

Some religions purport to initiate "transcendental experience".

Sauna:

Reason is trained, conditioned, an imposition, a requirement, not a free lunch.

Reason is self-evident, innate, and certainly a "free lunch" if anything. The principles underneath reason cannot be denied coherently.

SamCDKey:

Some interesting and well thought out comments. Far too many for me to reply to directly, but nice extension of the topic. Well done.

LightGigantic:

Philosophy (or jnana, as it is referred to in the vedas) is accepted as capable of illuminating the nature of the absolute

One of the reasons why I respect Indian religion so much is this. There has never truly be an anti-philosophic movement in Hinduism or its offshoots.

BG 13.8-12: Humility; pridelessness; nonviolence; tolerance; simplicity; approaching a bona fide spiritual master; cleanliness; steadiness; self-control; renunciation of the objects of sense gratification; absence of false ego; the perception of the evil of birth, death, old age and disease; detachment; freedom from entanglement with children, wife, home and the rest; even-mindedness amid pleasant and unpleasant events; constant and unalloyed devotion to Me; aspiring to live in a solitary place; detachment from the general mass of people; accepting the importance of self-realization; and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth — all these I declare to be knowledge, and besides this whatever there may be is ignorance.

Ultimately, the majority of these things are obvious goods, yes. Others not so much, but admittedly beneficial for some people.

thus the conclusion is that reason, or philsophy, is more successful to the degree that it is in line with the mode of goodness (sattva guna).

A point generally stressed amongst philosophy and I think few would disagree that one must adopt a position of, at the -very- least, an intellectual goodness to achieve any results from philosophy. A deceptive person will become a sophist, not a philosopher.

An interesting post overall.

Sauna:

As the unvierse itself depends upon principles of reason, then it stands that even a cat or dog exist solely dependent upon it.

The Indian culture has encountered countless religious/cultural invasions and survived relatively unchanged for 5000 years of known history. When you come up with a system that can work so well so long let me know.

The duration of such a system doesn't equate to success. I've seen the non-westernized Indian culture and success is not quite the word I would use to describe it.

If there was better system that didn't promote magic as reality would you use it?

Evidence as requested. From the link you posted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

"This Supreme Cosmic Spirit or Absolute Reality called Brahman..."

And an explanation of anthropomorphization: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphization

Chocolate meet Peanut Butter.

But both are man made concepts, symbols, representation.

Meaningless without consensus, which in turn means acceptance of the interpretation of the symbol.

If I refuse to accept your interpretation of Brahman, what does that mean?

The duration of such a system doesn't equate to success. I've seen the non-westernized Indian culture and success is not quite the word I would use to describe it.

If there was better system that didn't promote magic as reality would you use it?

Survival of a system is what determines success.

As for your better system, does it take into account the fact that not everyone has the same set of beliefs, the same understanding of their place in the universe, the same requirements for structure and pattern to reach a satisfactory conclusion. If so, can it accommodate all the views harmoniously enough to avoid conflict? Or does it propose negating/ignoring one belief system over another?

Without consensus on a system that is satisfactory to all, there is little chance it will be accepted without opposition and hence, conflict.

And the conceptual divide between the rationalists and the spiritualists is of canyon-like proportions.

As a rationalist, I can't begin to understand the position of spiritualists that somehow equates the objectively verifiable results of science (which surround you all) with the "experiences" of spirituality. No matter how much spiritual training you go through, enlightenment, nirvana, or whatever will always be a subjective thing. Is this not obvious? And as such will never be verifiable as due to a real extant entity known commonly as "god", as opposed to brain chemistry.

The insistence that proper "training" will yield spiritual results, the same way that training in physics will yield "physical" results is fine. The difference is in our two favorite words: Objective and Subjective.

I can prove to LG that something called "electricity" exists even though he has zero expertise in physics. Don't worry about the underlying nature of it. I can generate "it", make precise predictions about its behavior that are consistently repeatable. LG, the bulb in your lamp emits heat and light. Being completely ignorant of electrons (as was faraday, volta, watt, maxwell, etc.) I can tell you precisely how much heat and light will be produced by a given amount of voltage applied across a filament with a given resistance and heat capacity.

So, when you can show me or anyone an objectively predictable and repeatable result of the effect of a given "spiritual" experience on the physical world that can be explained in no other way, you are stuck with the fact that spiritual "knowledge" is the result of internal brain chemistry. Nothing wrong with that. But elevating it to the status of some externally generated knowledge or opening some "window" onto a higher plane is just plain self indulgence in fantasy.

Your argument form "adequate training" is and always has been highly specious.

But both are man made concepts, symbols, representation.

Concepts, symbols, and representations of what? The former is imagination. The latter is an observed and consistent human behavior.

Meaningless without consensus, which in turn means acceptance of the interpretation of the symbol.

Without something to ground interpretation to, consensus isn't necessarily valuable.

If I refuse to accept your interpretation of Brahman, what does that mean?

Possibly that you values differ from mine.

Yet another cutting and in-depth response. :D

Well I could go back to the definition of objective and subjective, but then you would first need to admit that you place perception on a level higher than knowledge while at the same time acknowledging that knowledge is derived from perception and is a result of consensus which is used to generate assumptions and inferences that form the basis of further knowledge which you accept (within the confines of knowledge and ability) all the while recognising that the future basis of your knowledge is abstract thought within the realm of a perceptual reality. However at the same time you refuse to recognise that cognitive boundaries are determined by the capacity of abstract thought in the light of perceptual stimulation and yet you place boundaries on that abstract thought based on your limitations in cognitive capacity, even though you are aware that materialism solely does not provide the sense of complete fulfillment, as is evident from the work of countless philosophers over the ages.

So I decided to go with

samcdkey said:

Concepts, symbols, and representations of what? The former is imagination. The latter is an observed and consistent human behavior.

Absolute Reality is imagination? How?
Without something to ground interpretation to, consensus isn't necessarily valuable.

But without any consensus, neither is any fundamental interpretation of any value
Possibly that you values differ from mine.

You get a cookie.;)

Well I could go back to the definition of objective and subjective, but then you would first need to admit that you place perception on a level higher than knowledge while at the same time acknowledging that knowledge is derived from perception and is a result of consensus which is used to generate assumptions and inferences that form the basis of further knowledge which you accept (within the confines of knowledge and ability) all the while recognising that the future basis of your knowledge is abstract thought within the realm of a perceptual reality. However at the same time you refuse to recognise that cognitive boundaries are determined by the capacity of abstract thought in the light of perceptual stimulation and yet you place boundaries on that abstract thought based on your limitations in cognitive capacity, even though you are aware that materialism solely does not provide the sense of fulfillment, as is evident from the work of countless philosophers over the ages.

So I decided to go with
You are completely missing my point (deliberatly?)

Ignore the underlying "reality" of any phenomenon. It's all perceptual consensus. Fine. Can you demonstrate to me, unequivocally, the spiritual equivalent of the heat and light produced by a functioning 100W lightbulb?

If you cannot, and all you have is an internal result, you cannot rationally claim any consensus as to it's existence. The only rational explanation is brain chemistry. Right?

Can you?

I'll take any flippancy on your part as a complete and utter capitulation to my argument and a decisive defeat in this debate. Fair enough?

A point generally stressed amongst philosophy and I think few would disagree that one must adopt a position of, at the -very- least, an intellectual goodness to achieve any results from philosophy. A deceptive person will become a sophist, not a philosopher.

therefore there are existential conditions that have to be fulfilled to partake of the full fruits of reason

Well I could go back to the definition of objective and subjective
Why? Can't we all read? You spiritualists are the ones with heartburn over the definitions of these words.

but then you would first need to admit that you place perception on a level higher than knowledge while at the same time acknowledging that knowledge is derived from perception and is a result of consensus which is used to generate assumptions and inferences that form the basis of further knowledge which you accept (within the confines of knowledge and ability) all the while recognising that the future basis of your knowledge is abstract thought within the realm of a perceptual reality.
That's one freakin' long sentence. I can't really respond to such a thing. The chunking ability of my analytical brain regions is too pathetically limited.

However at the same time you refuse to recognise that cognitive boundaries are determined by the capacity of abstract thought in the light of perceptual stimulation and yet you place boundaries on that abstract thought based on your limitations in cognitive capacity, even though you are aware that materialism solely does not provide the sense of complete fulfillment, as is evident from the work of countless philosophers over the ages.
Same complaint.

I'd be happy to respond to a dumbed-down version of those two sentences.

therefore there are existential conditions that have to be fulfilled to partake of the full fruits of reason

Yes. As an exercise in self-analysis, perception, and completely internally generated states with no demonstrable source other than brain chemistry. I totally agree.

Survival of a system is what determines success.

Regardless of its results?

As for your better system, does it take into account the fact that not everyone has the same set of beliefs, the same understanding of their place in the universe, the same requirements for structure and pattern to reach a satisfactory conclusion. If so, can it accommodate all the views harmoniously enough to avoid conflict? Or does it propose negating/ignoring one belief system over another?

Having beliefs and requiring satisfactory conclusions appear to be part of a different system themselves. Why not better understand human psychological needs and engineer something meet them that doesn't rely on magic?

It seems that valuing truth and human psychological needs might have historically been a one OR the other situation (i.e. having more of one requires having less of the other). Why not make it an AND situation?

Without consensus on a system that is satisfactory to all, there is little chance it will be accepted without opposition and hence, conflict.

If / when such a system exists, maybe the results will gain the meme popularity.

Just as an aside, how hard is it to not obfuscate the discussion with linguistic gymnastics? Or is it a prerequsite of the student of philosophy to intentionally bury the thrust of a discussion under metric tons of semantic and linguistic diversion? Is that an indication of the weakness of your position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back