Perfectly evil God

Jan:

Jesus was correct to say God is good, then?

Note: the quote has "good", not "goodness".

James R said:
Romans 8:28 ESV
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

''For those who love God''. Like I said God can be considered to think God is good, bad, or non existent.

Jame R said:
Psalm 145:9 ESV
The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.

This is a part of a poem, from a man, testifying the glories of God.
Like I said, humans can declare what they perceive of God.

James R said:
Psalm 107:1 ESV
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!

Followed by: Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble

James R said:
James 1:17 ESV
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Another human's point of view.

James R said:
Genesis 1:31 ESV
And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

You're going to roll with this? Really?

James R said:
James R said:
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

:?

Jesus was correct to say God is good, then?

Did you notice that he stated no one , including himself is to be called good (despite doing good deeds)? I'll let you mull over that.

Note: the quote has "good", not "goodness".

Yes thanks.

jan.

Alex, why persist in this foolishness.
I dont think drawing attention to the truth by repetition is foolish Jan.
Because someone wasn't there, does not mean it is made up,
But it does Jan just because that fact does not sit well with you does not mean it is not valid.
If someone is not there he must make up the story. That is obvious Jan.
Chinese Whispers is nothing but a game.
Yes Jan it is only a game involving one short simple message which is passed on in a matter of minutes and this simple game shows how easily a simple message is horribly distorted.
Can you imagine how the words of Jesus, which not only can said to be voluminous but also somewhat, due to the use of the style of parrables, also relatively complicated, passed on and on over near a century, could not escape corruption, disortion and various alterations dependant on those telling the story over those many years.

Sorry mate.

Now Jan you say that only in an effort to diminish my observation.

But my observation is entirely valid and can be demonstrated by a simple game over a short time frame dealing with a simple message so to suggest a message of considerable size and comexity would not be corrupted is simply not plausible.
Not only that but our law courts will not admit heresay evidence because clearly heresay is unreliable evidence.
Anyways I just wanted to help truth prevail.
Alex

In an effort to play the game.....
We assume God exists but we can not attribute any actions of God to any happenings and in the absence of at least a link our assumed God can not be said to be good or evil.
Alex

I notice he stated that God is to be called good.

You mean he stated that no one is to be called good ''except God alone''.

There are two different Greek words in the New Testament which are usually translated ‘good’,‘agathos’ and ‘kalos’.

Agathos: agathós – inherently (intrinsically) good; as to the believer, 18 (agathós) describes what originates from Godand is empowered by Him in their life, through faith.

Kalos: kalósattractively good; good that inspires(motivates) others to embrace what is lovely (beautiful, praiseworthy); i.e. well done so as to be winsome (appealing).

Jesus uses ''agathos'' as the description of God.

Goodness: the quality of being good.

Do you get it yet James?

jan.

Yeah. I get that Goodness (agathos) is a euphemism for God.

So you're saying that Jesus was really saying that no-one can be called God other than God. Correct?

Jesus uses ''agathos'' as the description of God.
Jan that sounds like Greek, did Jesus speak Greek? and were his words passed on in Greek to be recorded some fifty years or more later in Greek.
I am trying to determine the opportunities for corruption of the words of Jesus.
Alex

You should go to YouTube and look for lectures by Richard Carrier Phd. He wrote a book called "On The Historicity of Jesus".

He is a researcher in the field of literature of the antiquities. He comes to the conclusion (not the point of the book necessarily) that Jesus probably didn't exist even as just a historical person.

The interesting part is just learning about literary practices and devises in that time period and also about other creation myths and how they worked. Most everything in the Bible occurred in earlier myths as well.

It was also common to add in a real person to a fictional story years after the fictional events. Therefore, it's easy to make predictions come true. It's also similar to the Japanese considering Emperor Hirohito to be a god. The Dalai Lama has that kind of connection as well I believe.

I recall watching a video where in it was claimed Christianity had been around in something like 20 other civilizations.
There was a common parallel between the Sun and the human God and the 12 constelations and the 12 followers, the death and resurection link to the observation that the Sun sits for three days before it "rises from the dead".
But believers are not interested in knowing about the inconsistencies being happy to pick out enough to find God and claim a faith.
At the end of the day it turns on faith because the bible certainly is full of problems and I think it should be thrown out and replaced.
Alex

Back