Murder by faith

Is there justice?

• Prison. It's a crime. Send them to prison.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Hospital. They're obviously sick.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Justice? What do you mean? It's their right. Freedom of religion.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • There is no justice for something like this.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Justice is fiction. Why worry about what doesn't exist?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (_____)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
If my religion tells me to kill my child, should I be able to avoid persecution?

So its the death of the child that is the crime, regardless of intent, ignorance, foreknowledge, motivation or religious or social inclinations. Correct?

Sure........From now on everybody who gets arrested for any crime should just say:

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!!

Judge: Oh....Why didn't you say so.. You are free to go.
Case Closed! :rolleyes:

Sure........From now on everybody who gets arrested for any crime should just say:

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!!

Judge: Oh....Why didn't you say so.. You are free to go.
Case Closed! :rolleyes:

There's always diminished capacity.

Mod Hat — Cleanup and splinter

Mod Hat — Cleanup and splinter

Members are advised that the discussion comparing the death of one girl for the sake of parental religious zeal to the effects of international sanctions against Iraq during the period between the two American invasions of that country has been splintered into a new topic:

Thus far, sixty-five posts have been either moved or copied into the new thread; I've lost track of the number of posts deleted for their lack of merit in either discussion. Furthermore, don't be surprised if the transfer is not finished. For now, a small part of the Iraq digression remains, and is intended to end at Lucifers Angel's response currently residing at #60. All other discussion of that comparison should take place in the above-listed splinter topic.

At present, this post will be #84 in the topic. Any further discussion of the Iraq splinter in this topic will be subject to moderator action including, but not limited to, post editing or deletion.

In the meantime, this topic is hereby reopened for discussion.

Last edited:
How exactly is it a crime to refuse healthcare?
Secondly, before we can state that they are sick, we must first figure out if there is a God!

Secondly, before we can state that they are sick, we must first figure out if there is a God!

If there was a way to save the child with antibiotics, and the parents knowingly neglected that, its the same as not feeding your child the nutrients they need becuase your a vegan, which has happened.

It's not a crime for an adult to refuse health care, but it is a crime to make that decision for a minor in your care. It's the same if you ignored the child and it drowned in a bucket.

A parent knows by the time their child is 11 yrs old what is serious and what isn't.
You don't need to run to the doctor everytime your child sneezes or gets a stuffynose.
You know when it is something that needs to be looked at by a doctor. My son's have both complained of ear pain. I know that when they are complaining and telling me when they lay down their ear hurts, it is time to see the doctor. 3 of 4 times usually it has been an ear infection, which requires antibiotics. I would not be a responsible parent if I left it and just prayed for it to go away and gave them some tylenol for the pain. If it is serious enough, it can cause permanent damage and hearing loss. I would feel so guilty if that happened, let alone neglecting something really serious and risking their lives.

These parents should go to jail in my opinion!

It's not a crime for an adult to refuse health care, but it is a crime to make that decision for a minor in your care. It's the same if you ignored the child and it drowned in a bucket.

No, it isn't; the parents did what they thought they could do, as they were very religious.
Secondly, the fact that she died does not mean that, if there is a God, her prayers weren't answered; rather, that her time was up.

Shorty, I agree, but these people believe in the power of faith, as there are people who believe in the power of money.

Therefore, what is the BEST choice the parents could've taken? Not simply to give her healthcare.

The best is to give her the healthcare AND pray; the healthcare can save her in the physical world, and the prayer can give the parents peace of mind and hope

The best is to give her the healthcare AND pray; the healthcare can save her in the physical world, and the prayer can give the parents peace of mind and hope

Sure, Pray all you want while she is getting medical treatment! Praying for a miracle and watching your daughter die is nothing more then NEGLECT!
Poor Girl.

What they did was serious neglect in my opinion, they should be jailed.

Impossible, because how can it be neglect if they sincerely believed it was treatment? They DID take action: their own form. Unless, of course, your form is the only right one?

Mod Hat - A note for Myles

Mod Hat — A note for Myles

Myles said:

I am repeating what she said to me .She believes in predetermination. meaning we have no control over her actions . Allah has determined everything we do. Before jumping in to critize me , read what was said on the thread on Muslim women and heaven.

I have attempted to address you as one of my Sciforums neighbors, and also to regard privately the issue of your pathetic, whining excuses. As you have invited ... no, let me correct myself on that. As you have dared me to make a public issue of this, I will reiterate the two primary points in the form of this official public warning:

• I have spent what black ink I intend to dealing with you in this topic.

• I don't care about your prior argument with S.A.M. about Muslim women and heaven.​

Easy enough? Now cram the attitude, quit whining, and leave the argument about Muslim heaven in the topic on Muslim heaven, or get out of EM&J.

Got it?

Good.

Norsefire, Under the Consent to Medical Treatment and Palliative Care Act 1995 making a decision for someone ELSE (be them a child or an incapacitated adult who you have medical power of atorney over) is different from making that choice for yourself

This is the section relating to children from the act

Division 4—Medical treatment of children
12—Administration of medical treatment to a child
A medical practitioner may administer medical treatment to a child if—
(a) the parent or guardian consents; or
(b) the child consents and—
(i) the medical practitioner who is to administer the treatment is of the opinion that the child is capable of understanding the nature, consequences and risks of the treatment and that the treatment is in the best interest of the child's health and well-being; and
(ii) that opinion is supported by the written opinion of at least one other medical practitioner who personally examines the child before the treatment is commenced.

This one is on medical power of atorney:

(7) A medical power of attorney—
(a) authorises the agent, subject to any conditions and directions contained in the power of attorney, to make decisions about the medical treatment of the person who granted the power if that person is incapable of making decisions on his or her own behalf; but
(b) does not authorise the agent to refuse
(i) the natural provision or natural administration of food and water; or
(ii) the administration of drugs to relieve pain or distress; or
(iii) medical treatment that would result in the grantor regaining the capacity to make decisions about his or her own medical treatment unless the grantor is in the terminal phase of a terminal illness.
(8) The powers conferred by a medical power of attorney must be exercised—
(a) in accordance with any lawful conditions and directions contained in the medical power of attorney; and
(b) if the grantor of the power has also given an anticipatory direction—consistently with the direction,
and subject to those requirements, in what the agent genuinely believes to be the best interests of the grantor.

i cant find the corisponding passages from the Guardianship and Administration Act 1993

But basically it means if the parents WONT act in the correct way for the child then they are derilict in there duties. I could find the act regarding neglect of a child if needed too but im much more comfertable talking about medical legilation

Parents DONT have the same rights over the child as they have over there OWN bodies and they should be either hospitalised or charged with negligent manslaughter and child neglect occasioning death

Impossible, because how can it be neglect if they sincerely believed it was treatment? They DID take action: their own form. Unless, of course, your form is the only right one?

The same reason two vegan parents go to prison for starving their child to death because they believed..and thats the key word there that they were doing the right thing. The child has no say in these beliefs so it is their duty as parents to make sure that the childs best interest is looked out for not theirs. The well being of a child suprecedes the belief system of its parents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

The same reason two vegan parents go to prison for starving their child to death because they believed..and thats the key word there that they were doing the right thing. The child has no say in these beliefs so it is their duty as parents to make sure that the childs best interest is looked out for not theirs. The well being of a child suprecedes the belief system of its parents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

And that's precisely it! Again, the prayers were done by the parents for the best interest of the child, because the parents believed that was the best course of action.

We are acting under the assumption that medical treatment was the right choice; this is not proven.

And that's precisely it! Again, the prayers were done by the parents for the best interest of the child, because the parents believed that was the best course of action.

We are acting under the assumption that medical treatment was the right choice; this is not proven.

The doctor said antibiotics could have treated the child. Do you really think that their belief system was worth the child dying?

The vegans got life in prison as should these people.

Back