Murder by faith

Is there justice?

• Prison. It's a crime. Send them to prison.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Hospital. They're obviously sick.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Justice? What do you mean? It's their right. Freedom of religion.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • There is no justice for something like this.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Justice is fiction. Why worry about what doesn't exist?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (_____)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
These parents man... I mean, I believe in God and the Bible for the most part, but these stupid ignorants make people who believe in God look like Crazies! They also make God look like a real A**hole! Trust me, from someone who knows his Bible, God would not approveof this kind of treatment.

Then again, its probably best that shes gone. Better to be dead than to be raised by idiots like this! They should definitely have the rest of their kids taken away though!

These parents man... I mean, I believe in God and the Bible for the most part, but these stupid ignorants make people who believe in God look like Crazies! They also make God look like a real A**hole! Trust me, from someone who knows his Bible, God would not approveof this kind of treatment.

Then again, its probably best that shes gone. Better to be dead than to be raised by idiots like this! They should definitely have the rest of their kids taken away though!

whoa there!! it is NEVER better to be dead, she should've been given the care she needed, and the Doctors are also in the wrong here, they can force court hearings to make sure a child gets the medication they need, they have the power to get child welfare in and take the child away from the mum and dad, wouldn't that be better than the child being dead???

Lol,First this, which is complete bull.

Many people who believe in the Bible believe that children are bad, selfish, basically second-class persons who yet need to be elevated to full person status (by the mercy of God and the children's wonderful earthly parents, one ought to add).

It doesn't come as a surprise then that some of such parents will be prone to think that when a child looks ill, this is just the child's badness, selfishness, pretense, sinfulness - and not real, medical illness.
So such parents will in effect neglect the child for so long that they become convinced that the child is really ill and not simply displaying selfishness or faking to be ill.

And then this on the same page.

Ouch. You guys, it hurts to read so much gall. What you really want is a good fist fight, not a discussion, don't you?

I've none, I'm trolling.

Ok,this is sorta off topic but since death cannot be escaped by anyone, why do we fear it so?

As for this thread. I think, as most things, there is some degree of truth to all of it. I wouldn't refuse my children med care but I also tend not to entertain the idea that everyone is meant to live to 80 years old. The fact is that your very next breath could be your last. It pays to believe in something good that awaits in the beyond.It pays here and on your death bed.
I can't stay on topic. Um, yeah. Book'em, Danno.

I've none, I'm trolling.

Ok,this is sorta off topic but since death cannot be escaped by anyone, why do we fear it so?
As for this thread. I think, as most things, there is some degree of truth to all of it. I wouldn't refuse my children med care but I also tend not to entertain the idea that everyone is meant to live to 80 years old. The fact is that your very next breath could be your last. It pays to believe in something good that awaits in the beyond.It pays here and on your death bed.

i dont fear death!

just what's beyond this earth! if anything!

Let us pretend, for a moment, that S.A.M. really is that stupid. Now then, would you rather help her learn the things she needs to understand, or are you just more interested in having someone to knock? If you intend to drag your prior grudge into this discussion, then at least do so constructively.

Pretty please? With sugar and (extra) insulin on top?

I am repeating what she said to me .She believes in predetermination. meaning we have no control over her actions . Allah has determined everything we do. Before jumping in to critize me , read what was said on the thread on Muslim women and heaven.

You perceive a grudge where there is none and, yes, in my opinion she is that stupid. Go tilt at a few more windmills !

I've none, I'm trolling.

Do you take your Teddy Bear and comfort blamket with you wherever you go ? Some of us abandoned them when we were toddlers.

I would also like to emphasize that the situation with that family in the OP was possibly more complex than it is made out to be.

One thing is what people report they believe and do. While their actual motivations might have been completely different from the reported ones - while all along those people weren't necessarily aware of (all of) their motivations.

Was that family reluctant to seek medical help for their daughter solely because of their belief in God?
Is it possible that there were other reasons for not seeking medical help, reasons that perhaps the family themselves are not aware of or do not admit to them publicly?

Personally, I think yes. Because usually, there is a lot of factors at work in human situations. It would be wrong to focus only on one of them.

The OP asks about justice. ie is there justice.

My conclusion.

Justice is fiction. Why worry about what doesn't exist?

Clearly it is okay to let people die for your beliefs.

Justice comes from morals. If a society finds that the lives of its own members are more worth that lives of members of other society, then so it is for that society

Parents like this are a prime example of why alot of people don't deserve to have any. I vote send them to prison!

Mod Note: Edited to remove off-topic content as part of thread overhaul and cleanup.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back to the subject, the Mom did know her child was sick. There was no downside to giving her child the medicine to save her life, no practical reason to withhold them, only a belief that the beliefs of a supernatural entity, as related through a human intermediary, wanted her child to die instead.

I picked other.

What this boils down to, rather than religion vs medicine vs family choices vs all kinds of stuff is this kid died because nature was allowed to take its course.

In that case, the mother saved her childs soul and her own, based on what she knew at the time. Was that the better choice?

Since souls have never been shown to exist, and they have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on any legal issue, it is not considered a choice at all. Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

Since souls have never been shown to exist, and they have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on any legal issue, it is not considered a choice at all. Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

I agree, 100%. :thumbsup:

Back