Murder by faith

Is there justice?

• Prison. It's a crime. Send them to prison.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Hospital. They're obviously sick.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Justice? What do you mean? It's their right. Freedom of religion.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • There is no justice for something like this.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Justice is fiction. Why worry about what doesn't exist?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (_____)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
The best is to give her the healthcare AND pray; the healthcare can save her in the physical world, and the prayer can give the parents peace of mind and hope

Some are less selfish and grateful to the doctors for providing hope and peace of mind, whatever world they live on.

The doctor said antibiotics could have treated the child. Do you really think that their belief system was worth the child dying?

The vegans got life in prison as should these people.

And why? They did what was best for her [according to them], and the best treatment for her [according to them]; no different than what a doctor would've done, what he thought was best for her.

Secondly, don't you get it? They believe THEY are the ones that are right and that THEY knew what was best and YOU DO TOO!!!!!

Should a doctor go to jail for NOT praying for his patient?

Some are less selfish and grateful to the doctors for providing hope and peace of mind, whatever world they live on.

Being grateful to God (if he exists) is the ultimate gratitude you can show.

And why? They did what was best for her [according to them], and the best treatment for her [according to them]; no different than what a doctor would've done, what he thought was best for her.

Clearly these people have been so indoctrinated into their cults, they have lost all use of reason and rationale and are in no position to decide what is best for anyone. To compare these brain dead fools to a doctors prescription is intellectually dishonest.

I do not disagree. I was considering Wsionynw's point in the context of the diabetes. Nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite, and general weakness are all symptomatic of lesser illnesses than diabetes. I tend to just slog through those symptoms without any tremendous worry; for myself I treat it like an inconvenience. I haven't had to worry much about my daughter's health. There was a time when she was two that I had no choice but to suppress a fever, but that's about as serious as it's been. She had a long mild cold this season, and it was more disturbing to me to listen to her mother's family blame immunizations. In the end, my daughter saw a medical doctor twice in that period and some random naturopath at the store where her maternal grandparents buy their supplements. The MD was of the opinion that while the low-grade bug was annoying, there wasn't much to be done about it, and even advised backing off the children's cold medicine in order to let my daughter's body have the fight. The naturopath, of course, went on about how a minor cold could scar her for life, and recommended biotic silver and calcium sulphate. I don't deny that the cold went away, but that could have been coincidental, too. While her mother's family worried about the damage immunization did to her immune system, I will say that she was completely unaffected by a fairly vicious influenza bug that dropped me for three days.

My problem with the parents' outlook is not that they failed to seek medical attention for persistent flu symptoms. Then again, I wasn't there. I probably would have sought medical attention after only a couple of weeks, but that's the thing: if it was me, I would have known already that the girl was diabetic. And that is where I find their outlook inexplicable and frustrating. This isn't even about blood transfusions or immunization shots. This is about diagnosis. I mean, hell, if they'd known, the least they could have done in response was alter the girl's diet. That might have given her a fighting chance. Or, perhaps, they would have prayed and meditated on the problem and at some point God would have made the point that they really should consider getting a doctor for the child. Or maybe that would have only strengthened their resolve. You seem to have covered that issue ....

I agree with you. It is inconceivable to me that they never once took that child to a doctor, since she was 3 years of age. No check up's. Nothing. Had they had the doctors check her, even once a year, the diabetes would have probably been picked up well before now. I take my son's in for a check up three times a year.. weight chart, height chart, etc. If they get sick in the meantime, we take them to the doctors. But they still get checked regardless of any visits they might have in between that for any bugs that might crop up. Some may call it paranoia, and so be it. We had a cancer scare with our youngest in January, where a blood test taken at the hospital after he had his last convulsion (after he had a cold and developed a temperature) showed that he had a dangerously low white blood count. The doctors were hopeful it was all just a virus, but the fact he had such a low count could not be discounted. Oncologists were called, as were doctors dealing with infectious diseases and they determined that because his results were so low and he had had absolutely no other symptoms aside from a temperature that developed 3 days beforehand, it was most probably a virus. It did not comfort us at the time... we were terrified. They allowed us to return home after over 10 hours and he had weekly blood tests to check if it went back to normal and thankfully it did. They don't know what caused it to drop so badly and they are still testing his original blood samples taken at the hospital to try to isolate the virus that caused it. I remember they telling us that it was a good thing he had the convulsion and we brought him in if it had been cancer... As I said, we were terrified and the thought we could lose our little boy was something we could not even begin to contemplate. Had it been cancer, the oncologists advised us that because his count was so low, it would have indicated he was in the end stages and in some rare cases, some children do not exhibit any symptoms at all.. but they were optimistic.. We were just terrified and guilty that he could have had cancer and we did not know. The doctors kept telling us that we could not have known because the results came as a shock to them as well, since he had absolutely no other symptoms that could have given an indication that something else was wrong... it still did not stop us from feeling guilty I must admit. He was eating and drinking well, no easy bruising, had not displayed any lethargy or tiredness that was out of the ordinary at bedtime, was (and is) developing well.. It was a huge shock to all of us. When our first son was 13 months of age, he started to become tired and irritable all the time and we took him to the doctors, because it was so abnormal for him. It turned out he was slightly anemic (the child hates eating meat), so we increased his intake of iron rich foods and after a few weeks, he was back to normal. As a parent, you are always aware when something is not right. How they could go 11 years without checking things that weren't right.. bleh..

I can understand that these parents had not recognised or picked up on the symptoms the girl displayed, but surely when she fell ill as she did, medical intervention would have probably saved her. But they did nothing aside from pray.

I agree with shorty, (I'm afraid too, shorty), by the time a child is 11 years of age, the parent knows what constitutes a serious illness and what does not. A child lapsing into a coma goes beyond what one could constitute as being 'serious'. That her family interstate recognised the seriousness of the situation and called for help, while the parents did not, astounds me. It is all well and good to say 'it is in God's hands now', after all that was done to help her was looked at. But again, they did nothing aside from pray. As a parent, I cannot wrap my brain around sitting by and doing nothing but pray if my child were that sick. As a parent, I would be doing everything and anything to try to get my child better.

Norsefire said:
Shorty, I agree, but these people believe in the power of faith, as there are people who believe in the power of money.

Therefore, what is the BEST choice the parents could've taken? Not simply to give her healthcare.
Fair enough. But when you realise that the prayers aren't working and she's still getting sick, why not just call a doctor? Why not call for help when she lapses into a coma?

Those parents were the one's who should have acted in their daughters best interest and they failed to do so. This next point you made, I think, gets down to the crux of this issue:

and the prayer can give the parents peace of mind and hope
Their refusal to seek medical help was selfish in the extreme, because they wanted "peace of mind and hope".

Being grateful to God (if he exists) is the ultimate gratitude you can show.

Impossible. A god (if he exists) is cruel, immoral, misogynistic murderer. What gratitude could anyone possibly offer to that sort of despot? A god did nothing to save the child, which died. Hence, the only gratitude one could show would be to the doctors, had they the opportunity to save the child.

Clearly these people have been so indoctrinated into their cults, they have lost all use of reason and rationale and are in no position to decide what is best for anyone. To compare these brain dead fools to a doctors prescription is intellectually dishonest.

OK, yea, let's create an entirely belief-free world: how great that would be:rolleyes:
Removing religion or belief from society has dramatic effects, and in my opinion, would be bad; people wouldn't care about anything higher anymore than they do their own wallets.

And how can they not decide? Clearly the doctors, so caught up with the "right now and right here", are in no position to evaluate a situation to a greater extent. To compare those brain dead fools to these brain dead fools makes plenty sense.

Impossible. A god (if he exists) is cruel, immoral, misogynistic murderer. What gratitude could anyone possibly offer to that sort of despot? A god did nothing to save the child, which died. Hence, the only gratitude one could show would be to the doctors, had they the opportunity to save the child.

Is he? If there is a God, and he is omniscent, how do you know his intentions? How do you know it wasn't simply her time? How do you know she is not in Heaven as we speak?

Again, nobody can prove or disprove God; it's still on the table, it's just being burrowed under by all the filth.

Secondly, don't you get it? They believe THEY are the ones that are right and that THEY knew what was best and YOU DO TOO!!!!!

Should a doctor go to jail for NOT praying for his patient?

What if they were to believe that bleeding the sickness out of a child was the best thing they could do, would you advocate that as well?

Is he? If there is a God, and he is omniscent, how do you know his intentions? How do you know it wasn't simply her time? How do you know she is not in Heaven as we speak?

Cruel and immoral intentions? Yeah, it was her time, we should be embracing the parents for bringing their child that much closer and quicker to their god. What loving parents they must be to do their child such an honor. Praise be to god, amen.

Again, nobody can prove or disprove God; it's still on the table, it's just being burrowed under by all the filth.

Yes, you can't prove god, can you?

But, you can act insane in his name rather easily.

What if they were to believe that bleeding the sickness out of a child was the best thing they could do, would you advocate that as well?

I would have no control over it; however, I would try to stop them BUT I WOULD NOT VIEW THEM AS CRIMINALS, because they ARE trying to do the best thing [for them] for the child

A cult-free world would suffice.

I agree somewhat; extremism is bad, but likewise a belief-free world would be dull, and life would lose value (as in, becoming only for money, drugs, media, etc)

Sort of like in "Brave New World"

Therefore, Faith in society at a moderate form is better than both extremism AND pure atheism. It gives the people that connection, and that hope and that extra element to their lives, in my opinion; it is difficult to explain, so sorry if you can't understand.

I would have no control over it; however, I would try to stop them BUT I WOULD NOT VIEW THEM AS CRIMINALS, because they ARE trying to do the best thing [for them] for the child

So as long as the parent uses the precident that they are doing what they think is in their childs best interest they can do whatever they please. So does a child have no rights?

Well in the U.s. a child does have rights and when that child is being harmed as a result of action taken by the parents, or as a result of neglect by the parents the law will step in.

As a parent, I cannot wrap my brain around sitting by and doing nothing but pray if my child were that sick. As a parent, I would be doing everything and anything to try to get my child better.

Me either. My youngest was vomitting up everything (baby forumla) at 6 weeks old. I took him to the doctor and they told me that maybe he had the flu and to give it a couple days. I knew something wasn't right, and it was no flu. Later on that night I took him to the hospital. They took him in right away because he was dehydrated and he had already lost some weight. He had to have a simple surgery done to thin out out a muscle that was causing him to throw up. The doctor at the hospital said it was a good thing I didn't wait a couple days and brought him in when I did. It was heart wrenching to see him hooked up to IV's and stuff. I would have gladly took his place.

If I would have depended on God for another week or so, he probably would have died. As serious as it seemed at the time a week later at home he was right back to his normal healthy self. He is 7 now and I couldn't imagine life without him. I feel sorry for the little girl, whose life ended because of stupid ppl.

It says she has 3 older siblings. I wonder how old they are. I wonder if the parents if faced with this sort of thing again would follow the same practice again!

Cruel and immoral intentions? Yeah, it was her time, we should be embracing the parents for bringing their child that much closer and quicker to their god. What loving parents they must be to do their child such an honor. Praise be to god, amen.
Again, if there is a God and those were His intentions, we can do nothing about it; likewise, we can praise God for bringing HER to paradise.

Of course, this is under the assumption such a being exists (and it is still up for debate)

Yes, you can't prove god, can you?

But, you can act insane in his name rather easily.

No, I cannot. Nor can you disprove him. We both believe, or have a lack of it, but it is NOT knowledge; it is not fact.

I don't act insanely in his name........and those who do, they do so in belief, not in His name. The belief in His name.

So as long as the parent uses the precident that they are doing what they think is in their childs best interest they can do whatever they please. So does a child have no rights?

Well in the U.s. a child does have rights and when that child is being harmed as a result of action taken by the parents, or as a result of neglect by the parents the law will step in.

The problem is, defining "neglect"; you keep saying neglect, they weren't neglecting the child. They did take action, they prayed for her.

I agree somewhat; extremism is bad, but likewise a belief-free world would be dull, and life would lose value (as in, becoming only for money, drugs, media, etc)

So, to you, the world is nothing more than money, drugs, media... and religion? And, without religion, all you'd have left is the money, the drugs, the media and the etc.?

Therefore, Faith in society at a moderate form is better than both extremism AND pure atheism. It gives the people that connection, and that hope and that extra element to their lives, in my opinion; it is difficult to explain, so sorry if you can't understand.

I could never agree to faith in the supernatural having any value whatsoever. Faith is slavery and oppression. That is a fact.

Your statement above demonstrates that your life is little more than money, drugs, media and religion, with a smattering of etc. - and you imagine a life without religion as your life is now with religion.

Doesn't that tell you something?

Back