Let's cut through the chase: Jesus didn't exist.

Silas,

But finding parallels between one person and another is never going to be difficult, be they real or the protagonists of narrative tales. It seems to me that Jesus's being considered mythological is completely precluded by the short period that intervenes between his ministry, trial and death, and the first writings about it - in the case of letters of Paul, probably less than thirty years.
No not really. The Jesus myth predates the Christian era by millenia. The virgin birth, sacrifice, savior, ressurection after 3 days, miracles, are all variations on many older identical mythologies. There is no reason to believe the Jesus myth isn't simply another variation, especially in the light of no other empirical evidence of his existence.

Cris said:
TheVisitor,

I think you are missing the point - you are simply regurgitating the very mythology that is in dispute. I.e. your argument is circular.

You are dealing with historical events.
The "mythology" you are reffering to has taken different light due to recent very real events .....
The revealing of the son of man, i.e. "the second coming of Christ"...
He comes as a thief in the night....and will be gone, before they ever know He was here..
The world never knows what He did or how He did it. They just miss it,
Now who is it that has "missed the point" ...?

Cris said:
Silas,

No not really. The Jesus myth predates the Christian era by millenia. The virgin birth, sacrifice, savior, ressurection after 3 days, miracles, are all variations on many older identical mythologies. There is no reason to believe the Jesus myth isn't simply another variation, especially in the light of no other empirical evidence of his existence.

The "Jesus myth" in various older cultures is due to the fact that after the flood the whole world "remaining" were the desendants of Noah, and of one language.
They also had one faith in one God...Jehova or Jove, and being they were desended from a line of spiritual people (the line of Seth), they saw visions of the future and saw into the mind of God with respect to His plan for mankind and the world.
When Nimrod spilt man up into warring groups in Babylon, He started beliefs in different gods, and the "coming saviour" was translated into many cultures....thousands of years before Christ actually came.
This is not a mystery, or something that "disqualifies" Jesus.

Do you think the value of important thoughts are enhanced by talking in riddles? Or does it just make you feel more important?

Ophiolite said:
Do you think the value of important thoughts are enhanced by talking in riddles? Or does it just make you feel more important?

It reveals the truth which contains a supernatural element of power...for it is God, to those it was meant for and hides it from those it wasn't.

God choses to remain hidden from man in general, and reveals HImself to individuals in the same way.

TheVisitor said:
"Jonah was in the whale for three days because that was the length of the Easter period."

And of course, you cannot disagree that is but a silly fairy tale, right? No one could survive in a whale.

"a God of riddles and of "secret knowledge",
-------------------------
That is true, Jesus never spoke plainly to the mixed multitudes.
He revealed the meaning of the parables he taught only in privite with His chosen disciples...
Riddles and secret knowledge are the way God opperates.....

So, in order to reveal the word of god equally and unequivocally to all, he hid away behind closed doors and told only a select few? And if one is not so good at riddles, they go to hell for misinterpreting those parables?

Silly in the extreme.

The only thing that could bring order to this mess we had today called cristianity is for God to send a prophet to line the people back up with the word as He always has and has promised to do for the gentiles as well.
(Mal 4:5-6) (Rev. 10:7)

Then your god failed miserably. Perhaps he shouldn's have spent so much time speaking riddles. Not a very smart god.

But this time He not only sent a prophet but also came Himself as the Son of man revealed from heaven with His mighty angels.....
I hope you notice the past tense used here. It's later than you may think.

But you were remiss to note that he also failed miserably as we see today and throughout history the results.

Riddles and doublespeak don't work, even one who isn't omnipotent can figure that one out.

I'm afraid that as a skeptical rationalist, I was most disappointed by all those links Godless provided

Ah! But a quick looksie, does hardly give merit! :bugeye:

The Jesusneverexisted website gives plenty of good sources and other research of the matter at hand, like I mentioned there's even the doubt that Nasareth even existed. Take a longer look at his research in archeological digs looking for the place, as yet no Nazareth has ever been found, and furthermore, even the word may mean "truth" and not a place at all. Here's a teaser:

*Getting a Name
The expression 'Jesus of Nazareth' is actually a bad translation of the original Greek 'Jesous o Nazoraios'. More accurately, we should speak of 'Jesus the Nazarene' where Nazarene has a meaning quite unrelated to a place name. But just what is that meaning and how did it get applied to a small village? The highly ambiguous Hebrew root of the name is NZR.

The 2nd century gnostic Gospel of Philip offers this explanation:

'The apostles that came before us called him Jesus Nazarene the Christ ..."Nazara" is the "Truth". Therefore 'Nazarene' is "The One of the Truth" ...'
(Gospel of Philip, 47)

What we do know is that 'Nazarene' was originally the name of an early Jewish-Christian sect – a faction, or off-shoot, of the Essenes. They had no particular relation to a city of Nazareth. The root of their name may have been 'Truth' or it may have been the Hebrew noun 'netser' ('netzor'), meaning 'branch' or 'flower.' The plural of 'Netzor' becomes 'Netzoreem.' There is no mention of the Nazarenes in any of Paul's writings. The Nazorim emerged towards the end of the 1st century, after a curse had been placed on heretics in Jewish daily prayer. click

WHERE JESUS NEVER WALKED http://www.atheists.org/christianity/ozjesus.html

Another look at non existence of Nasareth..

And how about a Jewish take on the bid of Jesus' existence; click

Let's compare: Jesus myth & Krishna myth click

Oh! my the similarities are many aren't they? :rolleyes:

Godless

Sup :D Sorry, well overslept..

The crucial difference between these (forgive the oxymoron) authentically mythological characters and Jesus is that the stories of these people predate their having been written down by many centuries. The stories themselves invariably contain statements that the tale dates from "hundreds of years ago" at the time of writing.

I'm afraid I don't recall any of the stories concerning the listed people as stating the tale dates from hundreds of years ago. Maybe I just misunderstand your statement, (or have by and large forgotten the stories :D), but to be honest would still fail to see a connection between style of writing and the existence or non-existence of a certain person.

It would be probably be accurate to state that the earlier stories would have first been handed down verbally - and thus the texts are more likely to contain errors, but it's probably also accurate to state that by the time of the alleged jesus, people had a greater ability to write and get creative.

Unfortunately we still have a complete lack of evidence, and as such jesus is right there along with robin hood.

As such he has I believe cast doubt on Jesus's existence by pointing to parallels between Jesus and other mythological characters from the past. But finding parallels between one person and another is never going to be difficult, be they real or the protagonists of narrative tales.

Might I ask, if the stories are not later changes to existing stories, why you would find parallels, (to the degree seen with jesus and other stories/the OT and Sumerian text etc)?

It seems to me that Jesus's being considered mythological is completely precluded by the short period that intervenes between his ministry, trial and death, and the first writings about it - in the case of letters of Paul, probably less than thirty years.

A) Where did the 30 years come from?

B) Is it not customary for an author to write a story from start to finish? (i.e a man was born, did some miracles, then got whacked). The later letters would come under story advertising.

We still await evidence.

Here we have a person of whom there are not one, but four full histories all of which were definitely written within a century of his death.

A) Let's not forget that those four histories do not agree with each other on most of the details - and if written up to 100 years after his supposed death, have no valid say on the matter. It would seem more likely that these people were familiar with the earlier jesus story and then did a later version of it. People are still doing it now. There's thousands of "christ books", written by people in the year 2006 attesting to the existence of jesus. What would they know?

It would perhaps help to explain the vast amount of differences in the stories.

{edit} There probably was a 'B', but I obviously forgot about it.

You don't create complete hoax characters when people around you are more than capable of saying "I was around in Jerusalem then, and I've never even heard of him". In other words, if they were creating a fictional character somewhere between 50 and 70CE, they would have fictionalised him to further back in time.

People still do it and still get away with it. Why, just the other day a ufo landed in North London.. apparently. Now imagine how hard it would be for me if someone said it was upto 100 years ago. The only person I know that would even be close to being there would be my gran, but her brains have gone funny in recent years, so she ain't much good for confirmation.

Were these texts open for sale in jerusalem at the time?

Documentarily, we have known of Caiaphas the high priest and of Pilate the procurator only through the accounts of them in the Gospels. But archaeological discoveries of recent years have confirmed their existence.

My apologies, but it's 1am.. Any chance you can link to the discoveries please? I'm not entirely awake yet. Thanks.

B Vaticanus, d 1, Rome, fourth cent.;
Sinaiticus, d 2, Saint Petersburg, fourth cent.;
C Ephræmus rescriptus, d 3, Paris, fifth cent.;
A Alexandrinus, d 4, London, fifth cent.;
D Cantabrigiensis (or Codex Bezæ) d 5, Cambridge, sixth cent.;
D 2 Claromontanus, a 1026, Paris, sixth cent.;
Laurensis, d 6, Mount Athos, eighth-ninth cent.;
E Basilcensis, e 55, Bâle, eighth cent.

By their dates, not one of these is of any value. It would be like using Interview with the Vampire to attest to the validity of 14th century vampire texts.

This is where the "departure from reason" comes in. You can't just dismiss the Gospels and the Epistles of Paul because they're devotional texts.

Their "devotional" status is not the reason. The word of a couple of people is just never really suitable to be convinced of the validity of a character written about. Even more so when they all disagree on the details, and even by your own submission - some of them wouldn't have even been there, (maybe even upto 100 years after his supposed death).

It's only been 96 years since Twain died, and yet there's already like 100 copies of Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court. Does that make Hank Morgan a real person? But who can argue otherwise?

at least one of which was by common consent written only 40 years after the events, or well within the living memories of many people around at the time

Purely out of interest, what was the life expectancy back then? (If you know).

which describe meetings between Paul and Peter and James, whose personal acquaintance with Jesus is not in doubt.

It isn't in doubt? Why not?

Here is testimony

Testimony some 150/170 years after the supposed events. Who is to argue it? Not to mention that apparently Irenaeus was a bishop, (and thus in a position where bias would play a major part).

I have noticed posters who are declared atheists arguing quite vehemently against the existence of Jesus

Yeah, that happens a bit.

which leads me to suppose that their atheism is somehow bolstered if they believe there never was a Jesus.

I wouldn't go that far. By now we've probably all seen the arguments from both sides, and how they work. As a brief example: A christian will start off with the 'love speech', move on to the 'hell speech', then start with the 'evolution's bollocks' speech and then go right back to the 'hell speech'.

Debates between our kinds usually work in ongoing circles. First we perhaps argue for evidence, when that goes unanswered some move onto the 'god wouldnt do this, it's nasty' argument, (although I do personally try and avoid this one.. the bible clearly shows that god would do nasty things). From there it is common to debate existence of characters and the understanding that these texts have their origins elsewhere.

With me it's not about "bolstering atheism", (I can't believe in gods any less than I do now), but simply - as it has always been - down to the evidence. Four dodgy texts that rarely even agree on the basics does not come under the 'evidence' classification as far as I see it.

It would by and large appear to be a political move against the jews. The god of the jews comes down in human form, goes against every jewish law and custom and the jews kill him for it. Throw some insults against the romans in for effect and you're left with an intriguing political device much like they still write on occasions. Less cross-dressers though.

Yeah baby!.. 2500 :p

Q said:

And of course, you cannot disagree that is but a silly fairy tale, right? No one could survive in a whale.

I don't know, do you? I think Jonah would probably agree with you if he was alive today. He looked dead enough to get everyone's attention in Ninevah! His appearance was so convincing that the whole city of heathens repented, and it wasn't a small town either. ;)

Where does it end Silas?

You see how we go from a nice discussion concerning jesus alleged existence to now watching Woody trying to convince the world that jonah really existed.

Who knows, soon we might just watch Woody tell us all Frodo Baggins existed because archaeologists recently found "hobbits".

Agreed! (I will answer your big post later, SL.) Perhaps on a separate thread Woody and TheVisitor can have an argument about the literal truth of the Old Testament, in which, as a "similitudist" Visitor emphatically does not believe.

Woody said:
Q said:

I don't know, do you? I think Jonah would probably agree with you if he was alive today. He looked dead enough to get everyone's attention in Ninevah! His appearance was so convincing that the whole city of heathens repented, and it wasn't a small town either. ;)

Why don't you try getting eaten by a whale and let us all know how it turns out?

Actualy the bible never uses the word "whale".
It says a specially prepared fish.
Niniveh worshiped the fish god dagon, and when Jonah was regurgitated onto the shore of the city from a giant fish's mouth that is what made them listen and repent.

You people are argueing about a book, either you never fully read, or are purposfully mis-quoting to fit you needs.
The old testament is literal, the New testament is in part pulled from types and shadows of the old.

The largest "fish" (that we know of) is the "whale shark"... or should we not accept "fish" as meaning "fish" biblically.

Edit: Given the observed world distribution of such fish, if this isn't a likely candidate for Jonah's piscean assistant, what is?

Whalesharkdist.GIF

Last edited:
Back