Let's cut through the chase: Jesus didn't exist.

TheVisitor said:
You once taught from the bible, but what happened..?
could it be she came to her senses.
TheVisitor said:
Something is clouding your mind,
? her mind!
TheVisitor said:
and ask Him to show you the truth.
that is just plain stupid, your saying to leave the rational world behind, and return to the irrational, that's like asking a cured lunatic, to revert back to being a crazy person again, infact it's not like that, it is that.

Last edited:
Jesus as an historical figure in history definitely did exist. The first century Jewish historian, Josephus, wrote of Jesus. Jesus, who is called Christ, is a real person in history.

Goes to show you don't do your homework. Try again.

Lori_7 said:
He actually still exists...I know Him personally, and that's all the proof that I need.

Why do you care? Seriously, what is your big hairy deal about Jesus? You don't want to know Him? Fine...done. Now let it go, and move the fuck on already. Why do you have to be on some antichrist campaign all the time?

It's not so much an antichrist campaign as it is campaign to actually find him when it appears that only a select few, like yourself, "know" him in ways that no one else can relate. In fact, you nor anyone else who claims to know him can't even explain how it is you know him, and when explanation is attempted, it appears indistinguishable from any other conjured concept from the imagination. Hence the severe skepticism.

Why should you have your very own pipeline to gods son and not others? If Jesus existed, he would not allow that to happen, by his own alleged words, don't ya think?

Q, I think you're arguing with Lori's particular faith, when Lori is actually arguing about why the atheists are here pursuing a vendetta against Jesus's actual historical existence.

When a Christian clings with increasing desperation to every last irrational literal word in the Bible, or to some other dogma of their faith, and demonstrates a decreasing sense of proportion with every word or action, it's a pretty clear indication that they are actually on the point of crashing and burning and losing their faith altogether. When I see atheists departing from all reason in order to proclaim the non-existence of the most well-attested historical figure from that particular era, I begin to wonder if the same thing is happening to them in reverse. There are no reasonable grounds for doubting Jesus's existence, and saying that he did exist does not affect my atheism one iota. Neither do I personally feel it my mission to despise and denigrate all Christians for their basic Christian faith. I will argue with them about what their beliefs imply about their God, and I will fight tooth and nail to stop them denying the title of Christian to those who are but don't share their own narrow set of beliefs. But it's really not on to just goad Christians by saying "the game is up" and suchlike. Imposition of ones own faithless view on others can get as dogmatically unacceptable as the Christian proselytising we ourselves cannot tolerate.

Well, seems I'm going to be the only one here to disagree with you Silas.

If I could go through a few of your statements, it would help show why I disagree..

When I see atheists departing from all reason in order to proclaim the non-existence of the most well-attested historical figure from that particular era

A) I fail to see where any "departure from reason" comes into play with concerns to debating the alleged existence of a specific person. I must confess that if someone was to come on here and tell me that Gilgamesh did indeed exist, I would debate the issue. As with all things of this nature, I would ask for some evidence to support the claims made.

B) One of those claims I would ask for evidence for would be your claim that jesus is "the most well-attested historical figure from that particular era". Please, back it up.

There are no reasonable grounds for doubting Jesus's existence

You mean aside from the absolute lack of any evidence supporting his supposed existence?

and saying that he did exist does not affect my atheism one iota

I didn't realise debating history or historical validity had anything to do with atheism. You can say he did exist, didn't exist, used to ride a hairy banana to work... It's utterly irrelevant to 'atheism', but not the reason that these discussions take place.

I will argue with them about what their beliefs imply about their God, and I will fight tooth and nail to stop them denying the title of Christian to those who are but don't share their own narrow set of beliefs.

That's all fine and peachy. Similar to that, some people will debate the historical validity of characters portrayed within certain texts, and believed to have existed by certain people. What's the problem exactly?

Regards,

Geez, snakelord, what are trying to do, make us look bad? ;)

Good post, this should be a very good discussion.

Heh. A debate between atheists. We'll show 'em how it's done, eh, SnakeLord? :D
SnakeLord said:
Well, seems I'm going to be the only one here to disagree with you Silas.

If I could go through a few of your statements, it would help show why I disagree..

Silas said:
When I see atheists departing from all reason in order to proclaim the non-existence of the most well-attested historical figure from that particular era

A) I fail to see where any "departure from reason" comes into play with concerns to debating the alleged existence of a specific person. I must confess that if someone was to come on here and tell me that Gilgamesh did indeed exist, I would debate the issue. As with all things of this nature, I would ask for some evidence to support the claims made.
Gilgamesh, Abraham, Moses, Job, Daniel, King Arthur, Robin Hood. There is of course a debate about whether each or any of these characters who can be rightly classified as "mythological" ever had their basis in a single, real, human being, whether they are composites, or whether they were completely made up out of whole cloth. The crucial difference between these (forgive the oxymoron) authentically mythological characters and Jesus is that the stories of these people predate their having been written down by many centuries. The stories themselves invariably contain statements that the tale dates from "hundreds of years ago" at the time of writing. The "historical minimalist" and head of the Copenhagen school of biblical scholarship, Thomas L. Thompson, prefers to see fiction in all writings until its backed up by some kind of archaeological evidence. As such he has I believe cast doubt on Jesus's existence by pointing to parallels between Jesus and other mythological characters from the past. But finding parallels between one person and another is never going to be difficult, be they real or the protagonists of narrative tales. It seems to me that Jesus's being considered mythological is completely precluded by the short period that intervenes between his ministry, trial and death, and the first writings about it - in the case of letters of Paul, probably less than thirty years.

SnakeLord said:
B) One of those claims I would ask for evidence for would be your claim that jesus is "the most well-attested historical figure from that particular era". Please, back it up.
If this discussion were about anybody other than Jesus, it would scarcely be necessary for me to do so! Here we have a person of whom there are not one, but four full histories all of which were definitely written within a century of his death. There are more manuscript copies of these books probably than any other individual historical document that dates back as far as nineteen hundred years. Those books have been pored over by generations of scholars, so that in the later decades of the 20th Century one could probably count no fewer than ten new translations being prepared from them, in English alone. For the New Testament documents, those translations are based on scholarly editions of the original Greek documents, mainly the Nestlé Aland Greek New Testament, currently in its 27th edition - each edition making use and cross-reference to more and more original manuscripts as they come to light. This is attestation up the wazoo. It's not strictly speaking "proof" of a man's existence, but it's strong evidence against any claims that the entire story was dreamt up as a fiction, something that would have had to have happened within scant decades of the events they describe. You don't create complete hoax characters when people around you are more than capable of saying "I was around in Jerusalem then, and I've never even heard of him". In other words, if they were creating a fictional character somewhere between 50 and 70CE, they would have fictionalised him to further back in time.

Jesus is not the only character in the New Testament to which this kind of scrutiny can be given back-up. Documentarily, we have known of Caiaphas the high priest and of Pilate the procurator only through the accounts of them in the Gospels. But archaeological discoveries of recent years have confirmed their existence.

Finally, to assert the high level of attestation for the books themselves, I quote this from the Catholic Encyclopaedia:
Manuscripts of the Texts

More than 4000 have been already catalogued and partly studied, only the minority of which contain the whole New Testament. Twenty of these texts are prior to the eighth century, a dozen are of the sixth century, five of the fifth century, and two of the fourth. On account of the number and antiquity of these documents the text of the New Testament is better established than that of our Greek and Latin classics, except Virgil, which, from a critical point of view, is almost in the same conditions. The most celebrated of these manuscripts are:

B Vaticanus, d 1, Rome, fourth cent.;
Sinaiticus, d 2, Saint Petersburg, fourth cent.;
C Ephræmus rescriptus, d 3, Paris, fifth cent.;
A Alexandrinus, d 4, London, fifth cent.;
D Cantabrigiensis (or Codex Bezæ) d 5, Cambridge, sixth cent.;
D 2 Claromontanus, a 1026, Paris, sixth cent.;
Laurensis, d 6, Mount Athos, eighth-ninth cent.;
E Basilcensis, e 55, Bâle, eighth cent.
SnakeLord said:
Silas said:
There are no reasonable grounds for doubting Jesus's existence

You mean aside from the absolute lack of any evidence supporting his supposed existence?
This is where the "departure from reason" comes in. You can't just dismiss the Gospels and the Epistles of Paul because they're devotional texts. Neither can you reasonably exclude them as evidence merely because they are not precisely contemporary. Very little of our knowledge of the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius derives from contemporaneous documentation. Nevertheless the histories of Tacitus, Suetonius and others are considered valid historical backing for a great deal of detail from that period that is not available from the few sources (outside the Bible) that we have directly from the 1st Century (not one original manuscript among them, by the way!) The evidence we have for those periods are frequently less well founded than the evidence for Jesus's existence attested by the Gospels - at least one of which was by common consent written only 40 years after the events, or well within the living memories of many people around at the time - and of the Pauline letters (the authorship of which by Paul himself is uncontested) which describe meetings between Paul and Peter and James, whose personal acquaintance with Jesus is not in doubt.

There is other evidence too which is not part of the Bible but which has well-attested antiquity. Irenaeus (St. Irenaeus in the Catholic Church) wrote in 170-180 CE of his discipleship of Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna in Asia Minor, martyred in 155CE at the age of 86, and how he would tell of his personal acquaintanceship with St. John, the "beloved disciple" when he, John, was in his 80s in the late 1st Century, and of Polycarp's having spoken in his youth with others who knew Jesus personally. Here is testimony which garners considerable benefit from never having been considered any kind of "Holy Writ", but is simply a personal testimony in a letter.

It is simply not reasonable, in my view, to regard historical documents of acknowledged antiquity as not possessing the status of evidence.

SnakeLord said:
Silas said:
and saying that he did exist does not affect my atheism one iota

I didn't realise debating history or historical validity had anything to do with atheism. You can say he did exist, didn't exist, used to ride a hairy banana to work... It's utterly irrelevant to 'atheism', but not the reason that these discussions take place.
I have noticed posters who are declared atheists arguing quite vehemently against the existence of Jesus, which leads me to suppose that their atheism is somehow bolstered if they believe there never was a Jesus. It seems to be more important to shout the non-existence of Jesus from the rooftops than to take a sober consideration of all the available facts. Atheism is nothing if it isn't based on rationality, and I am trying to steer people away from illogical positions simply because those positions are congruent with there being no God.

SnakeLord said:
Silas said:
I will argue with them about what their beliefs imply about their God, and I will fight tooth and nail to stop them denying the title of Christian to those who are but don't share their own narrow set of beliefs.
That's all fine and peachy. Similar to that, some people will debate the historical validity of characters portrayed within certain texts, and believed to have existed by certain people. What's the problem exactly?
I admit, I was getting off topic a little there. Our debates here descend too frequently to name calling, and it's the anti-God side which often starts off the insulting rhetoric, which I find unnecessary and annoying. But lets not get into an argument about that right here.

Excellent post, Silas, one which deserves a more measured reply than mine, and some (pardon this oxymoron) skeptical praise. Regarding the Jesus of Christianity, I've always tried to phrase it this way:

(1) That there was no historical "Jesus Christ"- that by divorcing this described character from his alleged "divinity" (born of a virgin, arose from the dead, etc) what one has left an "ordinary" man of legitimately questionable historicity.

(2) I remain agnostic on the proposition that a historical ordinary man named "Yesh'ua bin Joseph" or Ieossus or Jesus (or whatever) actually existed, and place the burden of support on the protagonist view of historicity.

(3) It would not change my views of deities one way or another if overwhelming evidence of Jesus' alleged existence were to be revealed, and at times I catch myself thinking that "I wish it were settled historical fact" since it detracts from the larger discussion of theism. I accept that Siddartha and Mohammed and John Smith for that matter were historical individuals, what's one more supposed prophet? It would put to rest an issue which is "inherently divisive."

Whereas it is an error to dismiss scripture altogether, the better position for the skeptic or agnostic is to show where the biblical accounts differ in detail. I'm no so familiar with Christian scripture, though I own a copy of KJV, so I tend to leave these incoherencies and harmonizations to those more expert than I.

It is an unavoidable point of contention that no period documents or first hand accounts of Jesus survive, or are known to survive, to this day, and the best we can do (no pun intended) is to "keep digging."

Anxiously awaiting Snake's reply. Best, all.

Greetings

Just to keep everyone in the loop...

I'll reply between 3pm and 4pm today.

Thanks for your patience :)

Will it be SnakeLord's 2,500th post?? That would be an honour!

I'm afraid that as a skeptical rationalist, I was most disappointed by all those links Godless provided, particularly the last one, on a site called "Objective Thought". Of course, I welcome the objective examination of whether there was a man Yeshua bar Yusuf, but every one of the arguments that concludes that he did not rest themselves entirely upon negative evidence, or waste a lot of space showing how the evidently mythical elements of the Jesus story are derived from evidently mythical elements of older myths and religions. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to state that when the Bible claims Jesus was the result of a virgin birth, that he possessed power to change water into wine, walk on water, heal the sick, raise the dead and come back from the dead himself, it is (to be charitable) mistaken. Debunking those parts of the bible does nothing to strengthen ones hand that the man himself never existed, in the face of what that would actually mean: that a group of men came up with a new way of looking at Judaistic thought, and fabricated a figurehead and an accompanying story about his life, ministry and death. It's that story that I find immensely less convincing than that there was a single charismatic individual who had new ideas and a powerful way of expressing them, who was executed (rightly or wrongly) for fomenting sedition, and whose followers spread the word globally - something that happens to this very day with various cult leaders. I personally have no doubt whatsoever that Jesus himself would have had considerable difficulties with the theology that was woven around his name, but his being a mythological entity created in those early years for that very purpose is the proposition that falls foul, in my opinion, of Occam's Razor.

Just to prove that I'm not so smart myself:
querty mob said:
(2) I remain agnostic on the proposition that a historical ordinary man named "Yesh'ua bin Joseph" or Ieossus or Jesus (or whatever) actually existed, and place the burden of support on the protagonist view of historicity.
Who's in the what now? :confused:

Last edited:
Silas said:
As such he has I believe cast doubt on Jesus's existence by pointing to parallels between Jesus and other mythological characters from the past. But finding parallels between one person and another is never going to be difficult, be they real or the protagonists of narrative tales.

Jesus as a historical figure has many similarities to other christian or jewish figures because He was the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
That means what they all lived or manifested in part, each one of them just a part of or a type of the whole, an expression of God in flesh that He - Jesus, manifested in the completion.
They were all just a forshadow of Him.
Every word, every verse in the old and new testaments are somehow a type or shadow speaking of Him.

TheVisitor said:
Every word, every verse in the old and new testaments are somehow a type or shadow speaking of Him.
That's a somewhat Gnostic, not to say Kabbalistic view of God, a God of riddles and of "secret knowledge", thoroughly repudiated by reputable theologians of all strands of Christianity and Judaism. You might as well believe in the Bible Code as believe that Jonah was in the whale for three days because that was the length of the Easter period.

(edited to remove response to part of Visitor's post that (s)he edited out.)

Last edited:
My brain turned to "squid-shit"... I apologize :) Allow me to try to clarify-- (2) I remain unpersuaded that the Jesus of Christianity was an actual historical man, and the burden of proof (that he lived) is on those claiming he did; at present I consider the evidence(s) inconclusive, therefore (that Jesus actually lived-) unknowable.

In simpler terms, it's not "unbelievable" that this guy lived; just unknowable.

Edit: Oh, hell, after reading this again it reads like a syllogism. Kindly just put a period after protagonist, and lend me another brick. lol.

Last edited:
"Jonah was in the whale for three days because that was the length of the Easter period."
------------------

Yes, there is a good type there...Good eye!
As for sounding Ghostic......Gnosticism had some ideas that were close to the true, but they came out of the first church age with limited light, and like all demoninations, established their creed and went off into error."

"a God of riddles and of "secret knowledge",
-------------------------
That is true, Jesus never spoke plainly to the mixed multitudes.
He revealed the meaning of the parables he taught only in privite with His chosen disciples...
He said; "The mysteries of the kingdom of heaven have not been given unto them, but unto you it's been given."
Also when He asked Peter; who do you say I am...?Peter answered; "thou art the christ, the son of the living God"
Then Jesus said to Peter; " Flesh and blood hath not revealed this unto you, but the Father which is in heaven hath REVEALED it.
Riddles and secret knowledge are the way God opperates.....He's dealing with two different groups...the wheat and the tares, His own children and the children of the world...which are the seed of the serpent.

The only thing that could bring order to this mess we had today called cristianity is for God to send a prophet to line the people back up with the word as He always has and has promised to do for the gentiles as well.
(Mal 4:5-6) (Rev. 10:7)
But this time He not only sent a prophet but also came Himself as the Son of man revealed from heaven with His mighty angels.....
I hope you notice the past tense used here. It's later than you may think.

Last edited:
TheVisitor,

I think you are missing the point - you are simply regurgitating the very mythology that is in dispute. I.e. your argument is circular.

Back