Isn't time that Humanity was more important than any religion

you can get reference from John lambs book , of which you can get from Kobo as an ebook for less than 20$

on page 154-155 from Johns book quote;

" If the prehistoric origins of the Mystery schools network is were coeval with the earliest megalithic sites , as seems likely , then they can be dated conservatively to 6000 B.C.E. Thus in the last tenth of their duration before the Christian era, a mere 600 years , the Mysteries produced a corpus of literature that reflected its long preceding development. In 400 C.E. Hypatia lived and taught she had over a thousand years of continuous literacy and learning to draw upon. "

Do you mean John Lamb Lash? I mean a real reference, not someone who has drank the Kool-Aid.

A "superficial conversion" is, by definition, not genuine. If there are "economical, social or political reasons" then those are the only "conversion" actually occurring. You seem to be making up your own definition of "religious conversion".

A genuine religious conversion is the religious conversion that the person is most capable of. For some people, this may be religious conversion for economical etc. reasons.

To measure religious conversion by some externally imposed standard is to say that someone else, an external judge, is the one that is the most qualified to assess whether a person is genuine or not, and further, that a converted person should unconditionally trust this external judge - "How genuine is my conversion? I'll ask this judge and believe whatever he tells me".

IOW, measuring religious conversion by some externally imposed standard is the pipe dream of a fundie.

Conversion or reaffiliation for convenience is an insincere act, sometimes for relatively trivial reasons such as a parent converting to enable a child to be admitted to a good school associated with a religion, or a person adopting a religion more in keeping with the social class he or she aspires to.[5] When people marry one spouse may convert to the religion of the other. -wiki (religious conversion)​

There is no "demonization" in stating that wars are fought over power. It is just a statement that such motives are themselves the causes of war, not the justifications people may claim. There is no "pacifist agenda" in that, only a little objectivity.

You still need to explain why religious motivation and power motivation are mutually exclusive.

I never said they were mutually exclusive, only that religion requires some urge for territorial, political, etc. power to result in war.

War should be understood as an actual, intentional and widespread armed conflict between political communities, and therefore is defined as a form of political violence. -wiki (war)​

Religion can be used, like any tool, for the purpose of gaining power, but correlation does not imply causation. Just because religion can be used to justify war does not imply that religion is the cause. Every war ever fought can be found to have some more practical cause.

Originally Posted by river

you can get reference from John lambs book , of which you can get from Kobo as an ebook for less than 20$

on page 154-155 from Johns book quote;

" If the prehistoric origins of the Mystery schools network is were coeval with the earliest megalithic sites , as seems likely , then they can be dated conservatively to 6000 B.C.E. Thus in the last tenth of their duration before the Christian era, a mere 600 years , the Mysteries produced a corpus of literature that reflected its long preceding development. In 400 C.E. Hypatia lived and taught she had over a thousand years of continuous literacy and learning to draw upon. "

Do you mean John Lamb Lash? I mean a real reference, not someone who has drank the Kool-Aid.

what have you got against John ? explain

Conversion or reaffiliation for convenience is an insincere act, sometimes for relatively trivial reasons such as a parent converting to enable a child to be admitted to a good school associated with a religion, or a person adopting a religion more in keeping with the social class he or she aspires to.[5] When people marry one spouse may convert to the religion of the other. -wiki (religious conversion)​

Wiki is hardly an authority.

You, along with Wiki, keep missing my point:

A person can only be as religious as they can be, and this is as good as it gets for them. As long as the person themselves feels that they have made all the effort they can, that is a genuine conversion.
Even if some outside observers claim that the conversion was superficial, for political, economical etc. reasons, that does not change the fact that the person may have tried as hard as they can.

Religious (theistic) conversion is between the person and God. No human gets to have the say over this.

I never said they were mutually exclusive, only that religion requires some urge for territorial, political, etc. power to result in war.

War should be understood as an actual, intentional and widespread armed conflict between political communities, and therefore is defined as a form of political violence. -wiki (war)​

Religion can be used, like any tool, for the purpose of gaining power, but correlation does not imply causation. Just because religion can be used to justify war does not imply that religion is the cause. Every war ever fought can be found to have some more practical cause.

This is the PC version, yes. It supposes that religion is something that is in and of itself peaceful, harmless, tolerant, acceptant of all. So that when religious people bully others, go to wars etc., the PC version concludes it was for economical, political etc. reasons.

Religion is about power, and different religions manifest this in different ways.
Some, like traditional Buddhism, manifest it in the form of exerting power over one's thoughts and actions.
Some, like the Abrahamic ones in some of their forms, manifest it in the form of exerting power over other people.
Etc.

You are the one who insists on an explicit question mark for anything to register as a question.
no i specifically asked that any question you MUST have answered be pointed out in some way, since it is a waste of time to answer ad hom questions.
And where did you get the idea that I thought you were criticizing anything? It is hard to imagine you would have trouble understanding the usage you were using yourself, as you have repeatedly used the collection of all concepts of god to call them sketchy. If that is not your point, why do you keep making it?
again with what i didn't say. I specifically said your definition might be different from mine. Your definition fits that. Mine does not, otherwise i could just point out all the different faiths represented in one of the polls you posted and be done with this, having shown "sketchy' should apply. My idea however, is that there can be a hundred disagreeing statements, and one of the statements can be perfectly UNsketchy. I have not moved once from that. If you want to call statements that happen to have opposition "sketchy", that is your right, but don't say i did.

I have already explained that most certain concepts of god have very thorough theological explanations of any supposed internal contradictions.
so what? my definition of sketchy includes those concepts which are self-contradictory, unless they are logically explained, and I have yet to hear a logical explanation of many of the core concepts, such as a good god who creates an evil world. I personally don't think this lack of applicability of pure logic has any negative impact on God or the belief in God, because there is obviously quite a bit of life that cannot be put into words, and i assume the metaphysical world even less completely describable, but I am certainly not willing to just call the "thorough" explanations a logical and functional removal of sketchiness.

You just really cannot help but castrate your own argument, can you? You cannot both argue that church attendance generally increases certainty in a concept of god and that you just so happen to talk to more people in church whose concept is sketchy.
you can't help twisting my words into straw i guess. Do you have a an english to straw conversion program on your computer? I didn't say more people in church have a sketchy concept. The point the actual me made was that, in church, some people have sketchy concepts, and the people who are highly religious, and who go to church very regularly, usually exhibit the most solidly held and detailed definitions of the God they believe in. I can't contradict my own experience, that is what i have gathered over twenty years of discussion with people who have sketchy concepts of God, and not so sketchy ones, along with thousands of other exposures to people's ideas. At least you are saying, "not necessarily" in your answer about whether frequent church-goers have a more thorough and detailed concept of God. Like i said earlier, if you can just answer the question we can move on. I am perfectly willing to say, it is not necessarily true that frequent church-goers have a more thorough and detailed concept, but my experience leads me to believe otherwise. Also your poll, the new one that actually deals with the question, has 8 out of ten questions being answered with a preponderance of people who neither strongly agree nor disagree, or are completely undecided. 80% of the concepts listed show fewer people have a strong feeling, and choose one of the two choices for strong preference, than one of the middle three choices. Please explain how you interpret that to show there is a preponderance of people who have a strong concept.
You should notice that most of the highest percentages are in the "Strongly agree" or "Strongly disagree" columns. This would indicate a strong certainty in quite a few of the details of a concept of god. There is another poll on that site that is much more detailed with ALL of the highest percentages in the extreme responses.
80% of the questions are answered with more of the "no strong feeling about" responses.
Do you have anything to support your argument other than the denial you are projecting on me?
your poll. Hey but, all poking and joking aside, i appreciate you finding that poll because that poll is much closer to answering that specific question about strong concepts than anything i could find.
It is not reasonable to assume things contrary to EVERY reference on the subject.
a few of the references on the subject clearly point out that the gnostic label is quite possibly misplaced and misunderstood, and at minimum incomplete. The book that river recommended (i love my city library) has this statement. (regardless of your belief in his legitimacy as a scholar, the point being that even the modern gnostics say things like this) not in his image p.364- "The Nag hammadi codex presents an imbalanced, incomplete, and incoherent record of second- and third-hand versions of Gnostic teachings."
Of course if you would rather have a scholarly scholar there is the whole book "re-thinking gnosticism" by R.G. williams. this book is basically a pulling apart and un-labeling of gnosticism which is of the utmost scholarship, and unless you can take into account all of the various traditions that have been labeled as Gnosticism, you really can't say i am contrary to EVERY reference on the subject. Like i said before, Iranaeus was highly biased and really should only be used for his transcriptions of gnostic texts if we are going to fair to the gnostics, and then you also referenced the wiki, so I would hardly say i have ignored every reference on the subject. just to be clear, let me summarize where i am at at this point with Gnosticism and you can see if you actually disagree with any of this
1 - creator god bad or defective
2 - instructions not salvific except for possible aberrations from the mainstream. (many christians believe the same BTW)
3 - labeling of gnostic ideologies not thorough or necessarily accurate
4 - some instructions were given on how to act.
5 - ultimate freedom from right and wrong may have been the goal, but that was the ultimate experience of those who achieved gnosis, not the general believer (similar to zen)

And you have conveniently omitted the context, as given in Leviticus 1:
1 The Lord called to Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting. He said, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When anyone among you brings an offering to the Lord, bring as your offering an animal from either the herd or the flock.
i didn't conveniently omit anything, as that context has no bearing on what i was saying. I merely pointed out that, in english, should or shall can be dropped at any time from an instruction, which is exactly what the niv translators did.
Anything from the Lord is always considered prescriptive, just as a command from a human to a dog (like you already pointed out), and this is the major difference between the Christian and Gnostic texts, as Gnostics lend no credence to the rules of any demiurge. This is the emphasis or context that makes everything that follows normative. And you really should not be trying to refute a literal "should" or "ought", as you just got done saying your "do" was not literal. Unless you intend to employ a double standard that is.
Or to take a page form your book, I never said prescriptive statements ALWAYS use such words as "should" or "ought".
well you did say they were ALWAYS needing such modifers, OR that "intent" be known. My point is that intent isn't always known or shown in the gnostic texts, so for you to show that the gnostics had no prescriptive points, and therefore, that all believers were left only with solipsitic descriptions of right and wrong and good and bad, contrary to the fact that they have instruction from jesus not to lie, and from valentinus to do a bunch of other stuff, i would like to see more evidence.
Completely unsupported. By guess and by golly seem to be the standard of your reasoning skills.
yep, it is all supported by guess and by golly. haha.
"May not be sure" is no argument to the contrary. Seriously, go read up on gnostic beliefs.
like i said, where i am at with this is that there is an ideology of ultimate freedom from right and wrong once the gnostic has achieved Gnosis, but probably not before. Still waiting for references within which you have seen your point, and like i said at the very beginning of this, i would gladly be willing to be enlightened on the subject by an actual expert, even if through a book written by such an expert.

Now as for you, if i were to put you up to your own standard of distrust and negative labeling, i would say that accepting a reference when convenient and rejecting it when in disagreement is "dishonest". Here is what you said to River regarding his reference when it supposedly supported you - "Thanks River. I did not have the time or inclination to find such a great example myself. " Later you say, "Do you mean John Lamb Lash? I mean a real reference, not someone who has drank the Kool-Aid." I am willing to let that go if you can back up off all this antagonism you try to throw at me, and we can treat each other politely. If you can't do that, I guess I will have to put that in my sig or something. But seriously, I am willing to give it another go at being polite, mainly because the impolite stuff, although fun, takes up too much time.

Btw, most Christians consider Jesus part of the trinity that is god, so commands from him are taken as equally prescriptive as those from god.
well, if most gnostics felt that way, you would be helping my argument by pointing that out. If the gnostics believed that, then there would be no doubt at all that they had a prescriptive statement from jesus telling them not to lie, and that would be case closed, my point made. Fortunately for your argument, the gnostics don't seem to hold the same view of jesus' category of divinity that most christians do. believe me, i would have gone straight there, with the jesus reference, if i could have.

The thing is that I think you made the point (and continue to make the same point) in a manner you didn't anticipate ...

:shrug:
Dear oh dear.
So basically, you entire comeback is "no... you are."

I thought I had made it quite clear, on more than one occasion, that humans are basically much the same no matter what their ideals. If I need to make it any more clear for the intellectually challenged, which, to make things even more clear, includes you, then please take on board that the moajority of what I write does, and has always, included myself. Why the fuck do you think I write as I do, you simpleton?
If you're quite incapable of grasping this, then kindly shut up. Your attempts at playing the game are little more than annoying interjections at this point. Like a little brother being dragged along on a date.
Go. Away.

Another major disadvantage of this medium... you can't simply stick a pin in a punch clown.

Dear oh dear.
So basically, you entire comeback is "no... you are."
err ... no, its more like reflexive criticism on your behalf ... or shooting yourself in the foot as it is commonly known ...

I thought I had made it quite clear, on more than one occasion, that humans are basically much the same no matter what their ideals. If I need to make it any more clear for the intellectually challenged, which, to make things even more clear, includes you, then please take on board that the moajority of what I write does, and has always, included myself. Why the fuck do you think I write as I do, you simpleton?
Given the lofty manner of your waffle, probably to entertain grandiose notions of your own self importance I guess ...
If you're quite incapable of grasping this, then kindly shut up. Your attempts at playing the game are little more than annoying interjections at this point. Like a little brother being dragged along on a date.
Go. Away.
I guess one way to deal with criticisms of one's opinions is simply to sling crap ... not a terribly successful option, but an option nonetheless
:shrug:

Another major disadvantage of this medium... you can't simply stick a pin in a punch clown.
Or continue to post from an ISP branded as belonging to a troll sockpuppet on sci ...... or can you?
:scratchin:

When that opinion is consistently being conveyed in an aggressive manner, one cannot but allow for the possibility that this aggressiveness is precisely what was intended to be conveyed.
Yes. But why?

Why what?

Do you mean - Why one must allow for the possibility that this aggressiveness is precisely what was intended to be conveyed, when an opinion is consistently being conveyed in an aggressive manner?

It's not outlandish to conclude that a person who calls you names, yells at you, claims that you are worthless and even punches you in the face - it's not outlandish to conclude that such a person has something against you. Or do you think it is?

By Cole grey

like i said, where i am at with this is that there is an ideology of ultimate freedom from right and wrong once the gnostic has achieved Gnosis, but probably not before. Still waiting for references within which you have seen your point, and like i said at the very beginning of this, i would gladly be willing to be enlightened on the subject by an actual expert, even if through a book written by such an expert.

John lash is such an expert, read his book " Not in his Image "

His insight on the Gnostic philosophy comes from the Nag Hammadi Codices and from the Dead Sea Scrolls

And his book is available as an ebook

river

Originally Posted by river
John lash is such an expert, read his book " Not in his Image "

i already started reading that book, and quoted from his book in this thread in my last post. I got it from the library. haven't finished it yet.

This is a good thing , nice to find a open mind

Also look up John on YouTube I have

what have you got against John ? explain

In Gnostic cosmology, Archons are a species of inorganic beings that emerged in the solar system prior to the formation of the earth. They are cyborgs inhabiting the planetary system (exclusive of the earth, sun and moon), which is described as a virtual world (stereoma) they construct by imitating the geometric forms emanated from the Pleroma, the realm of the Generators, the Cosmic Gods.

The Archons are a genuine species with their own proper habitat, and may even be considered to be god-like, but they lack intentionality (ennoia: self-directive capacity), and they have a nasty tendency to stray from their boundaries and intrude on the human realm. Archons are said to feel intense envy toward humanity because we possess the intentionality they lack
-John Lash ( http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vida_alien/alien_archons02.htm )​

Aside from all his space alien stuff, here he is saying that what most refer to as angels are cyborgs. How anyone can take this guy seriously is completely beyond me, much less lending any credence to his "self-educated free-lance scholar[ship]", whatever the hell that may be.

Wiki is hardly an authority.

You, along with Wiki, keep missing my point:

A person can only be as religious as they can be, and this is as good as it gets for them. As long as the person themselves feels that they have made all the effort they can, that is a genuine conversion.
Even if some outside observers claim that the conversion was superficial, for political, economical etc. reasons, that does not change the fact that the person may have tried as hard as they can.

Religious (theistic) conversion is between the person and God. No human gets to have the say over this.

What about economical motives is transformative? Nothing, as economic motives only make the supposed conversion a means to an end, i.e. an ulterior motive other than religious. You have already agreed that conversion for such reasons is superficial, and only the self-delusional can convince themselves otherwise.

This is the PC version, yes. It supposes that religion is something that is in and of itself peaceful, harmless, tolerant, acceptant of all. So that when religious people bully others, go to wars etc., the PC version concludes it was for economical, political etc. reasons.

Religion is about power, and different religions manifest this in different ways.
Some, like traditional Buddhism, manifest it in the form of exerting power over one's thoughts and actions.
Some, like the Abrahamic ones in some of their forms, manifest it in the form of exerting power over other people.
Etc.

Really? So you go from, rightly, saying that religious conversion is between the person and their god to claiming that religion is about power. So how is a person's relationship with their god about power? Seems you are conflating religion with organized religion, which suffers from the same frailties as any other human organization.

Syne said:
I have already explained that most certain concepts of god have very thorough theological explanations of any supposed internal contradictions.
so what? my definition of sketchy includes those concepts which are self-contradictory, unless they are logically explained, and I have yet to hear a logical explanation of many of the core concepts, such as a good god who creates an evil world. I personally don't think this lack of applicability of pure logic has any negative impact on God or the belief in God, because there is obviously quite a bit of life that cannot be put into words, and i assume the metaphysical world even less completely describable, but I am certainly not willing to just call the "thorough" explanations a logical and functional removal of sketchiness.

The bolded is an argument from ignorance. You cannot hope to argue against things you are apparently completely unfamiliar.

Syne said:
* Survey question 22: "Even if you might not believe in God, based on your personal understanding, what do you think God is like?" Subjects could mark of one of five responses, from strongly agree to strongly disagree:

QuestionStrongly agreeAgreeUndecidedDisagreeStrongly disagree
A cosmic force in the universe29.828.114.510.417.3
Removed from worldly affairs7.616.112.029.135.2
Removed from my personal affairs8.112.810.431.037.7
Concerned with the well-being of the world48.729.58.95.37.6
Concerned with my personal well-being44.530.39.77.08.5
Angered by human sin29.127.213.017.613.1
Angered by my sins24.626.613.720.414.7
Directly involved in worldly affairs27.822.714.419.715.3
Directly involved in my affairs30.626.112.717.013.5
A "He"25.817.829.49.717.2
- http://www.religioustolerance.org/godnature.htm
Also your poll, the new one that actually deals with the question, has 8 out of ten questions being answered with a preponderance of people who neither strongly agree nor disagree, or are completely undecided. 80% of the concepts listed show fewer people have a strong feeling, and choose one of the two choices for strong preference, than one of the middle three choices. Please explain how you interpret that to show there is a preponderance of people who have a strong concept.

So now you are equivocating over whether a "thorough, well-defined" concept must also have conviction? Belief has already been shown, in countless polls. This one addresses your quibbles over thoroughness. On average, less than 20% are undecided, and of the over 80% decided, their answers are heavily weighted toward "strongly". Any decision is an indicator of certainty, and this poll shows some certainty in a wide range of characteristics of the concept of a god.

Quit squirming around and decide on which argument you are trying to make, rather than continually moving the goalposts every time I show actual data to refute your bare assertions.

80% of the questions are answered with more of the "no strong feeling about" responses.

Again, are you arguing thoroughness or conviction? Make up you mind.

Hey but, all poking and joking aside, i appreciate you finding that poll because that poll is much closer to answering that specific question about strong concepts than anything i could find.

Yes, I know. Cognitive bias is poor motivation for find such data.

a few of the references on the subject clearly point out that the gnostic label is quite possibly misplaced and misunderstood, and at minimum incomplete. The book that river recommended (i love my city library) has this statement. (regardless of your belief in his legitimacy as a scholar, the point being that even the modern gnostics say things like this) not in his image p.364- "The Nag hammadi codex presents an imbalanced, incomplete, and incoherent record of second- and third-hand versions of Gnostic teachings."
Of course if you would rather have a scholarly scholar there is the whole book "re-thinking gnosticism" by R.G. williams. this book is basically a pulling apart and un-labeling of gnosticism which is of the utmost scholarship, and unless you can take into account all of the various traditions that have been labeled as Gnosticism, you really can't say i am contrary to EVERY reference on the subject. Like i said before, Iranaeus was highly biased and really should only be used for his transcriptions of gnostic texts if we are going to fair to the gnostics, and then you also referenced the wiki, so I would hardly say i have ignored every reference on the subject.

I can say you are contrary until you ever manage to provide a single credible and specific reference to support your claims. Hell, you cannot even manage to give the correct author's name. Again, you are the only one seeming to claim Iranaeus as any kind of authority. We can safely stick to the Nag Hammadi Library.

i didn't conveniently omit anything, as that context has no bearing on what i was saying. I merely pointed out that, in english, should or shall can be dropped at any time from an instruction, which is exactly what the niv translators did.

Again:"And you really should not be trying to refute a literal "should" or "ought", as you just got done saying your "do" was not literal."

well you did say they were ALWAYS needing such modifers, OR that "intent" be known. My point is that intent isn't always known or shown in the gnostic texts, so for you to show that the gnostics had no prescriptive points, and therefore, that all believers were left only with solipsitic descriptions of right and wrong and good and bad, contrary to the fact that they have instruction from jesus not to lie, and from valentinus to do a bunch of other stuff, i would like to see more evidence.

You have yet to show a single, clear example of normative morality in any gnostic text.

Now as for you, if i were to put you up to your own standard of distrust and negative labeling, i would say that accepting a reference when convenient and rejecting it when in disagreement is "dishonest". Here is what you said to River regarding his reference when it supposedly supported you - "Thanks River. I did not have the time or inclination to find such a great example myself. " Later you say, "Do you mean John Lamb Lash? I mean a real reference, not someone who has drank the Kool-Aid." I am willing to let that go if you can back up off all this antagonism you try to throw at me, and we can treat each other politely. If you can't do that, I guess I will have to put that in my sig or something. But seriously, I am willing to give it another go at being polite, mainly because the impolite stuff, although fun, takes up too much time.

I never accepted or rejected any reference wholesale, and this is just more of your own intellectual dishonesty. Lash is an obvious hack, but that does not preclude him from having some valid points, especially when he references such points of other authors. I do not make the argument from fallacy that you use to evade much of my argument.

well, if most gnostics felt that way, you would be helping my argument by pointing that out. If the gnostics believed that, then there would be no doubt at all that they had a prescriptive statement from jesus telling them not to lie, and that would be case closed, my point made. Fortunately for your argument, the gnostics don't seem to hold the same view of jesus' category of divinity that most christians do. believe me, i would have gone straight there, with the jesus reference, if i could have.

So, are you ever going to show any specific support for your barrage of bare assertions?

What about economical motives is transformative? Nothing, as economic motives only make the supposed conversion a means to an end, i.e. an ulterior motive other than religious. You have already agreed that conversion for such reasons is superficial, and only the self-delusional can convince themselves otherwise.

This is what I said:

IOW, for some people, religion is a rather superficial matter to begin with, so it's easy enough for them to convert if the need or pressure arises. Although "superficial" may not be the exactly right word. Perhaps they are just flexible or adaptable in ways that an idealist (whether an idealist of the peaceful or militant kind) is not.

Note, I specifically qualified that "superficial."

And yes, economical, political, social motives can be transformative - "If I would be a Catholic, instead of a Protestant, then I'd have a better life - I'd earn more money and have better social status." There are socio-economic contexts in which this is true.

Socio-economic status can be an important factor in a person's wellbeing; for some people, it is the crucial factor for their wellbeing. Without a measure of wellbeing (and this measure can differ from one person to another), a person cannot attend to what they believe to be higher, or spiritual pursuits in life.

"Plain living and high thinking" is an ideal that not everyone can live up to or make sense of.

Also, sticking to one's current religion regardless of the circumstances one is in may simply be an irrational rigidity that is counterproductive, socio-economically, politically, as well as spiritually.

Really? So you go from, rightly, saying that religious conversion is between the person and their god to claiming that religion is about power. So how is a person's relationship with their god about power? Seems you are conflating religion with organized religion, which suffers from the same frailties as any other human organization.

I've already provided examples that power has a range of manifestations:

Etc.

So how is a person's relationship with their god about power?

That is probably the most common central theme in many theistic doctrines: the inner struggle of the believer between following what are considered the "lower urges" and "divine urges" - it requires power to resist the lower urges.

Back