Isn't time that Humanity was more important than any religion

all religious wars were conducted by the thinking that they were closer to god than the other , crusades for example were fought to take the Holy Land from the Muslims

this and other religious wars were more about being closer to god , not about power

because once won by either side what power would they have really ? to do what , really , other than to claim ownership of the holy land

so for me power was not really a factor in these wars but rather the prestige of owning or being in control of the holy land

Then you simply cannot differentiate the actual, practical causes from the lofty justifications. War over territory is a war over the power to rule said territory. Everything else is an excuse to take the extreme measure of going to war. The least power won is that of political influence. A war supposedly fought over ideology is only done so to the extent of spreading ones political influence. Those who believe as you do, whether that is a form of government, religion, or any other system of control, are just more likely to yield to your rule than those who have religious or secular ideologies that oppose your own.

You simply cannot make true converts at the point of a sword.

was thinking about the fact that we don't have the greek versions of the nag hammadi stuff and came up with this from the greek version of gospel of thomas - http://gnosis.org/naghamm/thomas_poxy.htm
[His disciples qu]estioned him [and s]aid, "How [should we] fast [and how] should we [pray,] and how [should we do charitable deeds a]nd what [food law should we] observe?"
Jesus said, "[Do not lie and that which] you [hate], do not do [because everything is evident before t]he tru[t]h. [For there is nothing hi]dd[en that will not be made clear.]"
Coptic version:
His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?"
Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."

EDIT * By the way, your post above is a very well said response to this constant recapitulation of the idea that religion itself is the cause of so much war. Your point above cannot be made enough times around here it seems.

pre�scrip�tive/priˈskriptiv/Adjective:Of or relating to the imposition or enforcement of a rule or method.

My point on this is that we may not be sure of the "inflection" used in all the cases of Gnostic practice, but if we are going to think rationally about a religious practice observed by humans, and apply our knowledge of humanity to them at all, many of the gnostics were quite likely imposing a method, even if it was only by social pressure or cultural idealism.

cole grey

the Gnostics didn't impose on anybody that what not there way

from Johns book that I mentioned above ( by the way which can be got for about 16.00$ as a ebook from Kobo , for a desktop ) but I can't copy and paste from it which I hoped I could do

anyway

Behavior manipulation , psychological programming and mind control were completely out of the question for the Gnostics

the goal of the Gnostics was to foster sane and balanced society by helping individuals to reach thier optimum potentaial

cole grey
the Gnostics didn't impose on anybody that what not there way
I understand that ideologically the Gnostics were probably, even if not in total agreement, much, much closer to zen buddhist philosophy than christian or judaic. However, "imposing" isn't the way of zen buddhism either, but yet, all the instructions remain. Zen goes so far as to specifically say, "the finger pointing at the moon isn't the moon", and that "the zen you can talk about isn't zen", but yet the finger is still used to point at the moon. The instruction, "do not lie" is an imposition, for a lot of humans. I guess we are back to talking about humanity and religion, and the way humans function (as opposed to just talking about the ideologies that can come out of humans), which seems to be the essential question that has to be answered to answer the OP in any rational way.

further

in comes the " Illuminati " yes the illuminati we have all heard of them

they were formed from dissidents of the Gnostic movement

they used Gnostic knowledge to manipulate Human behaviour

to quote from john's book

" Originally , Illuminati were members of the Magi order , an ancient Persian lineage of shamanism from which the Gnostic movement was derived "

they were not about education but social mangment because they thought that Humanity was not gifted enough to create a Humane world

whereas Gnostics did not get involved in politics because they didn't want to change society but to bring skilled , well balanced , educated individuals , who were good and did not need to be governed by an external management

Illuminati thought otherwise

to quote again from John's book again

" The Illuminati program was ( and still is ) essential to patriarchy and its cover , perpetrator religion . while it cannot exactly be said that the deviant adepts known as Illuminati created patriarchy , they certainly controlled it . and still do

These behaioral modification tools of the Illuminati were strictly forbidden in the Mysteries overseen by Gnostics "

so were does this bring us ? as Humanity as a whole ?

we are being manipulated by religion and the Illuminati to our own detriment , and survival

illuminati.
Good distinction, but as i've said before, contrasting Gnostics with empires and organizations of hyper-control, certainly shows the gnostics much much (i used two much's last time too) less controlling, but that does not make the Gnostics inhuman, nor uninvolved with prescribing and following methods transmitted from the religious to the converts and to those born into their communities, i.e. those further away from the light of knowledge.

illuminati.
Good distinction, but as i've said before, contrasting Gnostics with empires and organizations of hyper-control, certainly shows the gnostics much much (i used two much's last time too) less controlling,

true

but that does not make the Gnostics inhuman, nor uninvolved with prescribing and following methods transmitted from the religious

disagree

the Abrahamic religions were AFTER the Gnostic teachings had been around for a thousand yrs

and notice that Gnostics had NO army in which to force their teachings

to the converts and to those born into their communities, i.e. those further away from the light of knowledge.

they forced nobody

The Illuminati is bunk. Praise Lucifer, baby. Follow the Light.

He's back on the throne to anyone who cares.

the Abrahamic religions were AFTER the Gnostic teachings had been around for a thousand yrs

Can you provide any reference to support that claim? Everything I have read says there is no evidence of gnosticism until Christianity was forming.

Syne said:
Again, you are resorting to generalizing ALL concepts of god, even though you have already said:
Also, i am not sure why you would say that things people disagree about are sketchy, "taken collectively". -CG
Here you are directly using the differences between individual concepts to justify calling all of them "sketchy".
dude. i asked you what you meant. What type of usage you implied that was different from how i was applying it. I wasn't passing judgement on your phrasings and grammar, because i am not rarefied like some people seem to be. Don't use my question to you as some sort of proclamation i made. The fact that there are a hundred versions, doesn't make them sketchy, the lack of thoroughness and detail makes them sketchy to me. Also conceptions that have internal contradictions can also be called sketchy.

You are the one who insists on an explicit question mark for anything to register as a question. And where did you get the idea that I thought you were criticizing anything? It is hard to imagine you would have trouble understanding the usage you were using yourself, as you have repeatedly used the collection of all concepts of god to call them sketchy. If that is not your point, why do you keep making it?

I have already explained that most certain concepts of god have very thorough theological explanations of any supposed internal contradictions.

they don't contradict at all. Did i say those people i talked to in church, are people who "go all the time"? No.

You just really cannot help but castrate your own argument, can you? You cannot both argue that church attendance generally increases certainty in a concept of god and that you just so happen to talk to more people in church whose concept is sketchy.

people that go all the time tend to have much more solid ideas of the details of God, yes or no? do you believe weekly and daily church goers have a more thoroughly defined concept of God or not?

By experience, not necessarily. Many regular church goers seem to get too accustom to being spoon fed to examine and affirm things for themselves. This is well-known, touted by most atheists, and born out in statistics:
religious-knowledge-07.png

Unless there is a poll which shows how many believe "god" is an alien civilization, nature, themselves, the best in all of us, the collective unconscious, the christian god loosely defined, or the christian God thoroughly defined, in detail, your denial of my point is empty. As I said, I am calling many conceptions of God, "sketchy", even among christians, and the fact that many have a "sketchy" concept may be a good or bad thing, i don't know. All of this stems from your denial of the fact that we may be applying the words "thoroughly" and "detailed", differenty, just like i said a long time back in this thread.

No, I am the only one of us who has provided ANY support of his argument. All you have done is deny it is applicable. You have made no substantial argument of you own. Here is more support of my argument:

* Survey question 22: "Even if you might not believe in God, based on your personal understanding, what do you think God is like?" Subjects could mark of one of five responses, from strongly agree to strongly disagree:

QuestionStrongly agreeAgreeUndecidedDisagreeStrongly disagree
A cosmic force in the universe29.828.114.510.417.3
Removed from worldly affairs7.616.112.029.135.2
Removed from my personal affairs8.112.810.431.037.7
Concerned with the well-being of the world48.729.58.95.37.6
Concerned with my personal well-being44.530.39.77.08.5
Angered by human sin29.127.213.017.613.1
Angered by my sins24.626.613.720.414.7
Directly involved in worldly affairs27.822.714.419.715.3
Directly involved in my affairs30.626.112.717.013.5
A "He"25.817.829.49.717.2
- http://www.religioustolerance.org/godnature.htm

You should notice that most of the highest percentages are in the "Strongly agree" or "Strongly disagree" columns. This would indicate a strong certainty in quite a few of the details of a concept of god. There is another poll on that site that is much more detailed with ALL of the highest percentages in the extreme responses.

Do you have anything to support your argument other than the denial you are projecting on me?

as to belief and action - As i predicted, this is not going anywhere. Nothing useful is being done talking about it.

Of course not, when you cannot manage to make one coherent point.

i quoted the multiple examples as addressing my point, i.e. that instructions were given. It is reasonable to assume that humans would, in practice, use the instructions as rules and methods, just as zen monks sit in certain postures and do certain things, although the point for Zen seems to be to go beyond categories.

It is not reasonable to assume things contrary to EVERY reference on the subject.

"should" and "ought" are not required, and are actually less demanding than the simple instruction.
here is a very very tough set of rules - leviticus -
7 If your grain offering is cooked in a pan, it is to be made of the finest flour and some olive oil. 8 Bring the grain offering made of these things to the Lord; present it to the priest, who shall take it to the altar. 9 He shall take out the memorial portion from the grain offering and burn it on the altar as a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord. 10 The rest of the grain offering belongs to Aaron and his sons; it is a most holy part of the food offerings presented to the Lord. 11 ��Every grain offering you bring to the Lord must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in a food offering presented to the Lord. 12 You may bring them to the Lord as an offering of the firstfruits, but they are not to be offered on the altar as a pleasing aroma. 13 Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings. 14 ��If you bring a grain offering of firstfruits to the Lord, offer crushed heads of new grain roasted in the fire. 15 Put oil and incense on it; it is a grain offering. -Leviticus 2​

Note the multiple instructions presented that don't say should or ought, or anything else (just like valentinus' do not). Note the one use of the modifier "may". Note the use of shall is used when talking about a second person, and not used when instructing. All of this clearly shows that instructions do not need a modifier, just as i have been pointing out to you, so the ONLY part of your statement that makes any sense at all is inflection.
But this only proves my point about english usage not requiring "should" or "ought".
As to the translation - the nasb uses the word "shall". Unless we go further and know the translations of valentinus, and the gospel of philip and other texts, we can't even start to talk about inflection. You and I, I mean.

And you have conveniently omitted the context, as given in Leviticus 1:
1 The Lord called to Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting. He said, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When anyone among you brings an offering to the Lord, bring as your offering an animal from either the herd or the flock.

Anything from the Lord is always considered prescriptive, just as a command from a human to a dog (like you already pointed out), and this is the major difference between the Christian and Gnostic texts, as Gnostics lend no credence to the rules of any demiurge. This is the emphasis or context that makes everything that follows normative. And you really should not be trying to refute a literal "should" or "ought", as you just got done saying your "do" was not literal. Unless you intend to employ a double standard that is. Or to take a page form your book, I never said prescriptive statements ALWAYS use such words as "should" or "ought".

pre�scrip�tive/priˈskriptiv/Adjective:Of or relating to the imposition or enforcement of a rule or method.​
My point on this is that we may not be sure of the "inflection" used in all the cases of Gnostic practice, but if we are going to think rationally about a religious practice observed by humans, and apply our knowledge of humanity to them at all, many of the gnostics were quite likely imposing a method, even if it was only by social pressure or cultural idealism.

Completely unsupported. By guess and by golly seem to be the standard of your reasoning skills. "May not be sure" is no argument to the contrary. Seriously, go read up on gnostic beliefs.

was thinking about the fact that we don't have the greek versions of the nag hammadi stuff and came up with this from the greek version of gospel of thomas - http://gnosis.org/naghamm/thomas_poxy.htm

Btw, most Christians consider Jesus part of the trinity that is god, so commands from him are taken as equally prescriptive as those from god.

You simply cannot make true converts at the point of a sword.

I agree that not everyone can genuinely convert simply because they are pressured into conversion.

But I think that people who are already functioning in a might-makes-right mentality, may convert under pressure, and genuinely at that - as genuinely as they are capable to begin with.

Some people convert for economical, social or political reasons. From some advanced or lofty perspective, this kind of conversion may also not seem very genuine, but it may very well be the most genuine religiosity that these people are capable of anyway.

IOW, for some people, religion is a rather superficial matter to begin with, so it's easy enough for them to convert if the need or pressure arises. Although "superficial" may not be the exactly right word. Perhaps they are just flexible or adaptable in ways that an idealist (whether an idealist of the peaceful or militant kind) is not.

EDIT * By the way, your post above is a very well said response to this constant recapitulation of the idea that religion itself is the cause of so much war. Your point above cannot be made enough times around here it seems.

I am not convinced.

The wholesale demonization of power and power-seeking is simply part of the power-seeking agenda (!) of the professed pacifists.

I understand that ideologically the Gnostics were probably, even if not in total agreement, much, much closer to zen buddhist philosophy than christian or judaic. However, "imposing" isn't the way of zen buddhism either, but yet, all the instructions remain. Zen goes so far as to specifically say, "the finger pointing at the moon isn't the moon", and that "the zen you can talk about isn't zen", but yet the finger is still used to point at the moon. The instruction, "do not lie" is an imposition, for a lot of humans.

Buddhism isn't Sunday school where under threat of eternal damnation a person must comply with what is taught.

Some people convert for economical, social or political reasons. From some advanced or lofty perspective, this kind of conversion may also not seem very genuine, but it may very well be the most genuine religiosity that these people are capable of anyway.

IOW, for some people, religion is a rather superficial matter to begin with, so it's easy enough for them to convert if the need or pressure arises. Although "superficial" may not be the exactly right word. Perhaps they are just flexible or adaptable in ways that an idealist (whether an idealist of the peaceful or militant kind) is not.

A "superficial conversion" is, by definition, not genuine. If there are "economical, social or political reasons" then those are the only "conversion" actually occurring. You seem to be making up your own definition of "religious conversion".

CG said:
I am not convinced.

The wholesale demonization of power and power-seeking is simply part of the power-seeking agenda (!) of the professed pacifists.

There is no "demonization" in stating that wars are fought over power. It is just a statement that such motives are themselves the causes of war, not the justifications people may claim. There is no "pacifist agenda" in that, only a little objectivity.

Originally Posted by river

Can you provide any reference to support that claim? Everything I have read says there is no evidence of gnosticism until Christianity was forming.

you can get reference from John lambs book , of which you can get from Kobo as an ebook for less than 20$

on page 154-155 from Johns book quote;

" If the prehistoric origins of the Mystery schools network is were coeval with the earliest megalithic sites , as seems likely , then they can be dated conservatively to 6000 B.C.E. Thus in the last tenth of their duration before the Christian era, a mere 600 years , the Mysteries produced a corpus of literature that reflected its long preceding development. In 400 C.E. Hypatia lived and taught she had over a thousand years of continuous literacy and learning to draw upon. "

A "superficial conversion" is, by definition, not genuine. If there are "economical, social or political reasons" then those are the only "conversion" actually occurring. You seem to be making up your own definition of "religious conversion".
A genuine religious conversion is the religious conversion that the person is most capable of. For some people, this may be religious conversion for economical etc. reasons.

To measure religious conversion by some externally imposed standard is to say that someone else, an external judge, is the one that is the most qualified to assess whether a person is genuine or not, and further, that a converted person should unconditionally trust this external judge - "How genuine is my conversion? I'll ask this judge and believe whatever he tells me".

IOW, measuring religious conversion by some externally imposed standard is the pipe dream of a fundie.

There is no "demonization" in stating that wars are fought over power. It is just a statement that such motives are themselves the causes of war, not the justifications people may claim. There is no "pacifist agenda" in that, only a little objectivity.

You still need to explain why religious motivation and power motivation are mutually exclusive.

Back