Isn't time that Humanity was more important than any religion

He is probably as horrified as I am that you are Australian.

But really LG, considering your behaviour on this site, I guess what it comes down to is don't throw stones when you live in a glass house yourself. :)

He is probably as horrified as I am that you are Australian.
Yes, its not uncommon here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6J6PF47CM

But really LG, considering your behaviour on this site, I guess what it comes down to is don't throw stones when you live in a glass house yourself. :)
perhaps that would make sense if you could indicate where I started hurling abuse at Marquis.

His abuse, on the other hand, just came right out of nowhere (even before he was made aware of my nationality, which, in your view is a valid grounds for hurling insult) and doesn't make the pretense of addressing the thread much less anything I've said in it. That's what gives his posts a sock like aroma ... or at the very least the suggestion he has been working under one or two handles beforehand ...

Last edited:
perhaps that would make sense if you could indicate where I started hurling abuse at Marquis.

His abuse, on the other hand, just came right out of nowhere

While I don't support Marquis' attitude toward you (and other theists), it is something I can relate to.
In part, I share Marquis' and some other atheists' plight.
Although I usually express myself much more politely and analytically than they do.

Marquis has addressed here essentially the same points I have been addressing with you and other theists for years.

It's about the standard epistemological, ontological and interpersonal problems that go with (attempts to) belief in God.

Your defensive attitude suggests that you might not actually be in possession of a philosophy and way of life that would be higher than other people's.
If you would really be in possession of a philosophy and way of life that would be higher than other people's, then I think you would be able to defeat others in argument with skill, and not by resorting to hold other people to specific social norms.

Maybe if, just as an experiment, you'd stop seeing non-theists as your sworn enemies, you might actually see where we're coming from, and you might be able to relate to us - and communication would probably be much more meaningful and with much less strain for both sides.

mod queue

His abuse, on the other hand, just came right out of nowhere

While I don't support Marquis' attitude toward you (and other theists), it is something I can relate to.
Although I usually express myself much more politely and analytically than they do.

Marquis has addressed here essentially the same points I have been addressing with you and other theists for years.

It's about the standard epistemological, ontological and interpersonal problems that go with (attempts to) belief in God.

Your defensive attitude suggests that you might not actually be in possession of a philosophy and way of life that would be higher than other people's.
If you would really be in possession of a philosophy and way of life that would be higher than other people's, then I think you would be able to defeat others in argument with skill, and not by resorting to hold other people to specific social norms.

Maybe if, just as an experiment, you'd stop seeing non-theists as your sworn enemies, you might actually see where we're coming from, and you might be able to relate to us - and communication would probably be much more meaningful and with much less strain for both sides.

And you do not see any ulterior motive in changing religious affiliation solely for economic, political, or social gain? Such a conversion is not religiously transformative, only transformative in the areas of these ulterior motives. Merely claiming to believe a certain religion is a purely social artifice. There is no actual religious transformation without a religious change that can be distinguished from all other such ulterior motives.

Socio-economic status can be an important factor in a person's wellbeing; for some people, it is the crucial factor for their wellbeing. Without a measure of wellbeing (and this measure can differ from one person to another), a person cannot attend to what they believe to be higher, or spiritual pursuits in life.
Only as an excuse, as any real believer will be so regardless of the vicissitudes of life.

A person has to start somewhere.
Some beginnings may not be particularly noble or praiseworthy in some people's eyes, but they are beginnings.

So now you are going to conflate willpower with the desire to control others? So willpower leads to war?

These things are on the same spectrum.

mod queue

Can you think of any particular argument that can function without holding people to social norms?

mod queue

Marquis has addressed here (link removed so I can post ) essentially the same points I have been addressing with you and other theists for years.

can you think of any successful argument that can function without holding the other party to a social norm?

For instance if someone is so damaged and full of self loathing that they can't even enter the general arena of civil discourse, all channels of civil discourse (which would encompass "argument") are simply not available to them.. so generally one wouldn't weigh an argument as successful if it depends on effecting change in such persons.

In my experience, preaching tends to make one secure ... since the moments one ventures in a manner one is not secure, it goes badly. IOW one goes forward on subjects one is confident on .... so there are certainly many subjects I would feel insecure to preach on (Probably a minimal chance of ever encountering those on forums like this)

Its more that I am undergoing a constant process of understanding the depth of the subject and the extent of my limitations

No, actually, I think you are encountering some of those subjects right here at the forums, on a daily basis.

And they are not fancy subjects on the color of God's belly-button or some such.

Instead, they have to do with how to talk to actual people about God, meeting these people wherever they may be on their paths in life.

I'm sure you feel very confident in your ex-cathedra approach to preaching. But you are apparently forgetting that nobody here agreed to take courses lectured by you.

Fortunately or unfortunately, at a forum like this, you are just one out of many, your views are just one out of many. At a forum like this, the authority of the instances that you consider authoritative has not yet been established; they are just one out of many.

No, actually, I think you are encountering some of those subjects right here at the forums, on a daily basis.

And they are not fancy subjects on the color of God's belly-button or some such.

Instead, they have to do with how to talk to actual people about God, meeting these people wherever they may be on their paths in life.

I'm sure you feel very confident in your ex-cathedra approach to preaching. But you are apparently forgetting that nobody here agreed to take courses lectured by you.

Fortunately or unfortunately, at a forum like this, you are just one out of many, your views are just one out of many. At a forum like this, the authority of the instances that you consider authoritative has not yet been established; they are just one out of many.
You mean this is an internet forum?

can you think of any successful argument that can function without holding the other party to a social norm?

Arguably, an enlightened being could do precisely that. And devotees are enlightened, are they not?

For instance if someone is so damaged and full of self loathing that they can't even enter the general arena of civil discourse, all channels of civil discourse (which would encompass "argument") are simply not available to them

You're not the first devotee whom I have met who grossly underestimates how personally many people tend to take these topics about religion, whether they are theists or atheists.
And because they take them so personally, they don't talk about them in the aloof, detached manner that professional philosophers or theologians do.
Remember, there are four kinds of people who are interested in the topic of God, and only two of them are into philosophy (or, more strictly, only one kind of them is into philosophy).

You apparently take other people's rudeness as a sign of them being damaged or full of self-loathing, when in fact neither may be the case.

so generally one wouldn't weigh an argument as successful if it depends on effecting change in such persons.

But change is what you want to effect in others, do you not?

well isn't it ?

is not Humanity more important than any god ?

I think so

it is time to find our own destiny

thoughts

It is inevitable that humans who are not already theists, place their own humanity above everything else.
That is the glory and the doom of being human.

A person has to start somewhere.
Some beginnings may not be particularly noble or praiseworthy in some people's eyes, but they are beginnings.

A "start" or "taking a stab at" religious conversion is not equivalent to accomplishing religious conversion.

Syne said:
So now you are going to conflate willpower with the desire to control others? So willpower leads to war?
These things are on the same spectrum.

No, they are not. Willpower requires consensual participation of the individual with their own goals. Such cooperation is not necessarily indicative of controlling others and definitely contrary to the forceful control attempted in any war.

A "start" or "taking a stab at" religious conversion is not equivalent to accomplishing religious conversion.

So you want to play God now, so that you get to decide whether another person's conversion is genuine or not?

No, they are not. Willpower requires consensual participation of the individual with their own goals. Such cooperation is not necessarily indicative of controlling others and definitely contrary to the forceful control attempted in any war.

Some people think, and try to act accordingly, as if other people would be no different than, say, the items in a room one wishes to clean and organize.

Arguably, an enlightened being could do precisely that. And devotees are enlightened, are they not?
Arguably, not at all.

Since discussion does involve two people, there is also the question of the second party innvolved

You're not the first devotee whom I have met who grossly underestimates how personally many people tend to take these topics about religion, whether they are theists or atheists.
And because they take them so personally, they don't talk about them in the aloof, detached manner that professional philosophers or theologians do.
Remember, there are four kinds of people who are interested in the topic of God, and only two of them are into philosophy (or, more strictly, only one kind of them is into philosophy).
and don't forget the 4 types who aren't, all of which are essentially attitude problems to the topic at hand

You apparently take other people's rudeness as a sign of them being damaged or full of self-loathing, when in fact neither may be the case.
If one hates who they are talking too (and even themselves too) it does tend to impede the reception of information

But change is what you want to effect in others, do you not?
sure, but how do you think that change occurs? That someone just gets magically zapped totally absolved from any personal responsibility or attitude issues that frame the subject?

sure, but how do you think that change occurs? That someone just gets magically zapped totally absolved from any personal responsibility or attitude issues that frame the subject?

I think that while you want people to change, you simply don't care enough about them. And it shows in how ineffective your exchanges with them are.

Change is a complex phenomenon.

But here, we are talking about you wanting others to change - while you prefer to place the majority of the responsibility on them.

If you are the one who wants others to change, and you want others to change in a particular way,
then the majority of responsibility for their change is on you.

It's not clear why this is so hard for you to accept.

You and I, nor you and other posters here, have not agreed on the ways in which we are supposed to change, not on the goals nor on the standards by which to change.

We have agreed to no plan.

We have not agreed to cooperate.

You, on the other hand, seem to be coming from the perspective that it goes without saying that others should change, and in a particular way. That no plan and no agreement are necessary.

It is no wonder that some posters here resent you.

Syne said:
So you want to play God now, so that you get to decide whether another person's conversion is genuine or not?

I am not playing god in the least, only refusing to accept your solipsist redefinition of common words. A social, economic, or political change for social, economic, or political reasons are only ulterior motives for any apparent religious conversion. And you have completely failed to make the case for it being otherwise. The only argument you have made is that if a person convinces themselves that their ulterior motives are pure, or something, then we must accept their solipsist and self-deluded justification.

People can lie to themselves all they like, it does not mean I have to buy it. Actions speak louder than words, so if the actions only indicate serving these ulterior motives, why should I believe the incongruity? You only seek to excuse these people because you are in the same boat.

Syne said:
Some people think, and try to act accordingly, as if other people would be no different than, say, the items in a room one wishes to clean and organize.

Yeah, solipsists and sociopaths. The latter also tend to suffer from poor impulse control, which is the opposite of willpower. Try again.

Back