Is there anything everyone agrees on as either good or bad?

Ok here we go:

Suffering is bad.... mkay?

I'm ashamed of you:
suffering is good for the soul.
Having suffered makes you understand others' pain that much more.
It makes you more receptive to your fellow human beings.
Suffering is better than dying.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger (Shorty should recognise that one).

Only to match yours and Shorty's. :)

An unequalled opportunity for astrophysicists to gain hard data.
We'd all find out if there really is a god together. And some of us would (or wouldn't) be shouting "Told you so! Nyah nyah!"
You don't have to pay any more bills.
It won't matter that you haven't washed your hair/ changed the bedding/ fed the cat.
It'll be a good excuse to not turn up for work.

so what your saying is that nothing is bad?. and everything is good? but how can things be good if nothing is bad? dont you need one to point out the other?

or are you saying everything is just moderate?. so if i were to ask you if anything is bad, or what is your idea of something that is bad. what would you say?

wait i got 1. george bush as president, now that has to be bad right? i mean whats good about that, apart from commic relief?

peace,

so what your saying is that nothing is bad?. and everything is good? but how can things be good if nothing is bad? dont you need one to point out the other?

or are you saying everything is just moderate?. so if i were to ask you if anything is bad, or what is your idea of something that is bad. what would you say?

wait i got 1. george bush as president, now that has to be bad right? i mean whats good about that, apart from commic relief?

peace,

There is no good or bad. Those ideals were invented by us to control people.
"Ate from the Tree of Good and Evil" ring any bells?

I'm ashamed of you:
suffering is good for the soul.
Having suffered makes you understand others' pain that much more.
It makes you more receptive to your fellow human beings.
Suffering is better than dying.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger (Shorty should recognise that one).

i believe he was joking, ofcourse suffering is good for the soul, but not all types of suffering are good for everybody, a newborn does not learn from bieng cut in the face with a rusty ancient neolithic blade, he just gets hurt and cries,

peace,

Read the thread.
I've argued that the supposed good things aren't necessarily so.

or are you saying everything is just moderate?
I'm just saying that what is regarded as definitively and unmitigatedly good or bad, isn't.

so if i were to ask you if anything is bad, or what is your idea of something that is bad. what would you say?
I'd probably come up with something that someone else would disagree with.
Which was the main question of this thread: can we all agree that...

Would the Americans that voted for him agree?
Do all of the Americans on this forum agree?

There is no good or bad. Those ideals were invented by us to control people.
"Ate from the Tree of Good and Evil" ring any bells?

not entirely, good and bad are subjective, but they also exist just as much as right and wrong do, this is the type of buddhist behaviour that i dont agree with, i love buddhist philosophy i honestly do. but i draw the line at some things,

if you dont believe in good and bad then you dont believe in right and wrong, and if you dont think anything is wrong then you have no honour. i will defend and stand up for the people i love. because i think it is "right". would you not fight for the people you love? if you truley believe nothing is bad or wrong then you wouldent ever fight for whats right,

you dont like seeing your family get slaughtered because you see it as "wrong" and "bad", and if you dont stand up for your people and the ones you care about what have you got?

not very chivalrous

peace.

Read the thread.
I've argued that the supposed good things aren't necessarily so.

I'm just saying that what is regarded as definitively and unmitigatedly good or bad, isn't.

I'd probably come up with something that someone else would disagree with.
Which was the main question of this thread: can we all agree that...

Would the Americans that voted for him agree?
Do all of the Americans on this forum agree?

i thought those were your opinions.

peace.

not entirely, good and bad are subjective, but they also exist just as much as right and wrong do, this is the type of buddhist behaviour that i dont agree with, i love buddhist philosophy i honestly do. but i draw the line at some things,

if you dont believe in good and bad then you dont believe in right and wrong, and if you dont think anything is wrong then you have no honour.

Then you completely misunderstand Buddhist philosophy.

i thought those were your opinions.

Why on Earth would you think that?
No-one asked my opinion, they just posted things they thought unreservedly good or bad.
All I did was point out that there are two sides to each coin... :D

Why on Earth would you think that?
No-one asked my opinion, they just posted things they thought unreservedly good or bad.
All I did was point out that there are two sides to each coin... :D

i dont know lol, i guess you posted so many times i began to think it was your opinions :).

if good is one side of the coin and bad the other, then where does not caring reside?

peace,

Ho ho.
You've accepted that you've given up.
Or you've given up accepting.

Ya' know, I've thought some about this topic and .....

I just can't help but believe that, with all humans, there must be something that we can all agree on. It just makes sense, ya' know? There are gazillions and gazillions of "things" ...so at some point, at some time, all humans would probably agree ...even if for only a second or two.

So ....what is it?

Baron Max

Ya' know, I've thought some about this topic and .....

I just can't help but believe that, with all humans, there must be something that we can all agree on. It just makes sense, ya' know? There are gazillions and gazillions of "things" ...so at some point, at some time, all humans would probably agree ...even if for only a second or two.

So ....what is it?

Baron Max

lol wow thats not the reply i expected from you :) but i agree there must be something that we all agree on, even if its the most stupid thing.

there must be something,

peace.

Back