Is Muslim terrorism due to defects in the faith?

Then it needs to be given up, there are all sorts of real reasons for violence, let's eliminate the fake ones.

I agree let have law so in churches ,synagogs , masks and temples be place of worship and not politics , they should preach of peace and not violence

I agree let have law so in churches ,synagogs , masks and temples be place of worship and not politics , they should preach of peace and not violence

Gonna have to ban an awful lot of things to make that happen - the Star Spangled Banner, the Old Testament, the Battle Hymn of the Republic etc etc. And traditionally "thought police" don't work out too well.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being zealous.

But then some educated zealous people, even if it is only a couple of 1000 out of a billion, may strap a bomb to their chest and..... you see where I'm going with this.

Gonna have to ban an awful lot of things to make that happen - the Star Spangled Banner, the Old Testament, the Battle Hymn of the Republic etc etc. And traditionally "thought police" don't work out too well.

Not so much a thought police but a proper separtation of church and state. Which is what we are supposed to have anyway (we don't just look at gay marrage and abortion).

But then some educated zealous people, even if it is only a couple of 1000 out of a billion, may strap a bomb to their chest and..... you see where I'm going with this.

Atheists are unlikely to do that without a good reason, since there is most probably no afterlife.

It certainly doesn't fit with the common liberal view, where all religions are equally benign, and that problems only happen when people distort them for their own purposes. I don't believe that. Go back to the texts themselves, they are bad enough.

and yet they are far better than what we see in jewish and christian texts which condone and or at least turn a blind eye to genocide, rape, child prostitution, oh and incest can't forget about the incest.

the reason we see more violence from islamic countries is because the factors for violence are higher. and despite your attempts to portray it as such being islamic is not one of those factors.

It certainly doesn't fit with the common liberal view, where all religions are equally benign, and that problems only happen when people distort them for their own purposes. I don't believe that. Go back to the texts themselves, they are bad enough.

I agree.

It would be more accurate to say "all religions are equally dangerous." Any religion can be distorted into a pretext for violence.

I don't think religious terrorism is based on a distortion of the doctrine.
Violence against non-members is the doctrine.

Whether it is in the form of a religious family stigmatizing and excluding a non-religious family member, or religious kids at school bullying the non-religious ones, or a whole state going on crusades, or terrorists placing bombs.

Atheists are unlikely to do that without a good reason, since there is most probably no afterlife.

What makes you think violence is inspired by thought of an afterlife?

Seeing as there is ''most probably no afterlife'', there just maybe, so to hell with it?

They could convince themselves they believe to justify their action.

They just don't fear death, afterlife or not.

jan.

It would be more accurate to say "all religions are equally dangerous." Any religion can be distorted into a pretext for violence.

Why not just go the whole hog and say ''all people are equally dangerous''
as any persons perception can be distorted into a pretext for violence.

jan.

Are you sure it is safe to discuss this in open forums?

I use my own name and I have had no problem objectively posing religious problems before except one case where I had my e-mail jammed with return notices from other people. It went away after a while. I assume it was a retaliation after posing more than a couple of such posts on a single religion---not Christianity or Islam. I have studied all the main religions and have found that educated people of other religions are often even eager to discuss it with you if you are fair and stick to the facts.

brough
http://civilization-overview.com

Last edited:
this thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with forums. A provocative subject is set up, but a few simplistic, childish posts follow :blbl: and then all the other posters yack back and forth fighting over the dumpest posts and leaving the whole subject alone.:shrug:

brough

this thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with forums. A provocative subject is set up, but a few simplistic, childish posts follow :blbl: and then all the other posters yack back and forth fighting over the dumpest posts and leaving the whole subject alone.:shrug:

brough

lol..like we are all supposed to agree?

U1;I believe X is true.
U2; I agree
U3; me too
U4; thats true..

end of discussion..
no need for forums at all...

I don't think the teachings of Islam are inherently the problem. Every religion and even many secular organizations have their own crazy militant groups. But it's hard to hold the group accountable for these random nut-jobs. The U.S. Military, for example, isn't defective just because Lee Harvey Oswald was a Marine.

The teachings of "mainstream" Islam are pretty compatible with Christianity and Western culture. In fact, many Muslim nations, such as Pakistan, are accepting an increasingly commercial, materialistic, "western" lifestyle. Although there are many Muslims who remain loyal to "conservative" Islamic ideals, this can also be said of almost any religion, political party or government in any part of the world, and those "conservative" Islamic ideals have nothing to do with hating America or the West.

Most of what Americans know of Islam we only know because it's only the extremists who make the news. Even the concept of "Jihad" is nothing like what we typically imagine it being.

I think that is all an accurate picture.
It just occurred to me also that if Islam was waging wars in parts of our Christian-Western world, we would find that Christian fundamentalists would be much more militant and disruptive. Under enough Muslim repression, they too would become fanatical enough to plant bombs and take over the passenger planes.

brough

Right, because there are good reasons to carry out terrorist attacks. Be it for religion or otherwise terrorist attacks are inexcusable.

What makes you think violence is inspired by thought of an afterlife?

Seeing as there is ''most probably no afterlife'', there just maybe, so to hell with it?

They could convince themselves they believe to justify their action.

They just don't fear death, afterlife or not.

jan.

I read. Stuff like interviews with failed suicide bombers and the people who recruit them.

Why not just go the whole hog and say ''all people are equally dangerous''
as any persons perception can be distorted into a pretext for violence.

Theists are a class apart, because they are the ones claiming to know God, to know The Absolute Truth, to have God on their side.

For theists, different criteria apply than for ordinary people.

Back