Is Atheism Irrelavent?

Why don't you tell us since it is something you wish to know? And then, you can tell us why you would believe atheism has anything to do with near death experiences and ghosts?
I asked the question first, you can't get out of it that easy. Sorry, you guys are the atheists so surely you know if you have seen ghosts or experienced poltergeists, or know people that have had NDEs.

But then how can they claim to be moral? What morals are they talking about?

I'm tired of this claim that theism is somehow neccessary to derive a moral set. It's bogus, false, hocum, nonsense, and complete BS.

Morals can, in fact, be derived empiricaly from a starting point of 'Survival of the species'.

I agree with Neil degrassse-tyson on the matter. Atheism is a silly word. It's ridiculous to think that we need a word to describe someone who doesn't do a 'thing'. We don't have a word for people choose not to play golf. That's why when people ask me about my personal philosophy I describe myself as an empirical sceptic.

What I am reading here is that if you did not believe in God, you would be a liar... since the only reason that you think lying is wrong is because God will punish you.
No not true. Everyone has the chance of telling the honest truth or making up a deception to hide the truth. You don't have tell lies all the time, but you could pick and choose.
For me there is no longer the option of picking and choosing. I have to tell the truth. Makes life harder, for how do I tell someone the truth and get away with it? But at least I don't have my head cluttered with lies.

Don't try and over analyse me please, as in your statement: "since the only reason that you think lying is wrong is because God will punish you". Only reason! No; for the person you are telling the lie to could also find out, and give you a slap around your ears as well. You might be wise not just to fear God.

I'm tired of this claim that theism is somehow necessary to derive a moral set. It's bogus, false, hocum, nonsense, and complete BS.

Morals can, in fact, be derived empirically from a starting point of 'Survival of the species'.

Look Trippy I hope your trolls aren't getting too hungry. It was the repeated claim by atheists on the forum that they were moral, that I wanted them to list their morals or describe their form of morality to us, the hopeless theists.
I was contrasting this to my morality which was underscored by my vow to never lie. What underscores an atheists morality?

What underscores an atheists morality?

images

Well, Erich Fromm said: "The attitude towards ourselves and others' runs basically parallel."

Do you like that better?

Look Trippy I hope your trolls aren't getting too hungry. It was the repeated claim by atheists on the forum that they were moral, that I wanted them to list their morals or describe their form of morality to us, the hopeless theists.
I was contrasting this to my morality which was underscored by my vow to never lie. What underscores an atheists morality?

What if you were hiding Jews in the attic and some Nazis came to find them? Would you lie to save their lives?

Our morality is the same as yours. At some point you decided that the Bible was moral and you would follow it. At some point atheists decide what is moral and follow that.

What if you were hiding Jews in the attic and some Nazis came to find them? Would you lie to save their lives?

Our morality is the same as yours. At some point you decided that the Bible was moral and you would follow it. At some point atheists decide what is moral and follow that.
Yes I had decided in that case I would. If they were innocent, and their life was in jeopardy I would lie to save their lives.
Like it isn't right to harbour a criminal is it? So if these Jews were wanted for murder, what do I do then? The whole thing can get quite complex. (As Carol just said "They might be wanted for murder, for murdering other Nazis that had murdered other Jews.")

I would hope the Lord inspires my thoughts at the time I needed to say anything, in a complex situation like that.

Look Trippy I hope your trolls aren't getting too hungry.
I'll thank you to hold your tongue. My tone was perfectly civil and what your displaying now could be interpreted as hypocrisy. You remember what Christs stance on hypocrisy was right?

It was the repeated claim by atheists on the forum that they were moral, that I wanted them to list their morals or describe their form of morality to us, the hopeless theists.
In a sense, I just did.

What underscores an atheists morality?
Ask an Atheist. I'm an empirical sceptic, remember? Should I start asking you questions about cultists?

Personally, as an emperical sceptic, I adhere to facts. This is a product of my philosophy of empirical scepticism, my career in science and law enforcement, and my personal admiration of Ghandi and some of his teachings (among other things). I try to avoid distorting facts, and generally endeavour to make it clear when I am uncertain what the facts are.

I believe Erich Fromm, big Freud admirer, was getting more on neurosis affecting emotion and are perception of reality.

Should be able to find it online: Historical and Ethical Pyschoanalysis - Selfishness and Self-Love http://www.fromm-gesellschaft.eu/

No trippy, I was brought up on the river not in some fairy tale. Rafting, canoeing, fishing and fossicking in the flotsam.
What's your point? I grew up on the Coromandel hunting rabbits, trapping possums, chasing Eeels, moving rocks in fields, and herding livestock. Still had time to read and take in the Disney classics.

What's your point? I grew up on the Coromandel hunting rabbits, trapping possums, chasing Eels, moving rocks in fields, and herding livestock. Still had time to read and take in the Disney classics.
Well you were luckier than me then, in my spare time we were forced to work. If I spent time reading it was considered a waste of time. It was a conflict though, for Dad would say "get a good education" but wouldn't allow us to read anything.

Back