I think it's fun to step on ants. So what?

Why not?

Guys: I'm not some demented freak who rubs his hands together and laughs maniacally when I see a bug. It's not like I'm delighted by pain or that I hate all ants -- except when they get on my stuff. I have a neutral attitude toward them, but that also means I don't care about them. They're just ants and their lives make no difference to me, which means if I feel like stepping on them out of boredom, then I will.

Religion aside, what are the possible consequences of this, practically or philosophically? There are none.

Yeah man it's gross. They might stick to the bottom of your shoe and gunk up in the treads - then you've got little exoskeletons and ant guts in your house.

Think about this...viewed from the andromeda galaxy, is there a significant difference between you and even one ant? I say no. You are more significant than an ant to us because you can come on a message board and brag about how many ants you killed, while some ant survivors cannot come on here and tell of the atrocities that befell them at colony234234 in the quadrant 654266 in the life of queen 1324134.

Yea, but do you care for them ?

well, I have ladybugs that I bought in my flowergarden. No one in our house is allowed to kill a daddylonglegs no matter where they find it. No one is allowed to kill a bumblebee. No one is allowed to kill fireflys. No one is allowed to kill butterflies or moths, etc.
We have bug rules. Is that what you mean?

well, I have ladybugs that I bought in my flowergarden. No one in our house is allowed to kill a daddylonglegs no matter where they find it. No one is allowed to kill a bumblebee. No one is allowed to kill fireflys. No one is allowed to kill butterflies or moths, etc.
We have bug rules. Is that what you mean?

Kinda.. but I think you should respect all bugs. Well, were talking about bugs now.. actually I think everyone should respect all life as much as possible.
Of course I swat mosquitoes when they try to bite me.. but that's a job risk for them lol

Kinda.. but I think you should respect all bugs. Well, were talking about bugs now.. actually I think everyone should respect all life as much as possible.
Of course I swat mosquitoes when they try to bite me.. but that's a job risk for them lol

I take it you aren't for mouse traps then..

Well I gotta admit although they are cute little things.
They shouldn't chew their way into a house or cottage, and
start destroying things.

I have set traps and yes.........there have been casualties.

What about mouse raps?

Mickey%20Mouse%20Makeover.jpg

Well I gotta admit although they are cute little things.
They shouldn't chew their way into a house or cottage, and
start destroying things.

I have set traps and yes.........there have been casualties.

I admit that it's a difficult matter. We are here.. we just are.
Just remember they were here first, they have at least as much right to live there as you have..
Sometimes it is 'necessary' though to kill them off, when they become a danger or just a nuisance.. but I believe people should not think too lightly of it and consider alternatives.

I admit that it's a difficult matter. We are here.. we just are.
Just remember they were here first, they have at least as much right to live there as you have..
Sometimes it is 'necessary' though to kill them off, when they become a danger or just a nuisance.. but I believe people should not think too lightly of it and consider alternatives.

Yeah like poison...

At our cottage they can cause alot of damage. Once they get inside
they will start chewing up wires, get into the electrical panel, pee and crap
on stuff. When it comes down to their life or my mess and expense they loose.

Yeah like poison...

At our cottage they can cause alot of damage. Once they get inside
they will start chewing up wires, get into the electrical panel, pee and crap
on stuff. When it comes down to their life or my mess and expense they loose.

And basically that should be wrong.. but I guess we have little choice.
You can also catch them and release them in another area. They have mousetraps for that.

You can also catch them and release them in another area. They have mousetraps for that.

we have a cat who catches them. So its survival of the fittest at our house.
She's already caught 3 this winter. We've never had them in the house before, but since its been so damn cold they have come in.

We don't use traps or poison. Seems like a cruel way to kill something that I'm just gonna throw away.

we have a cat who catches them. So its survival of the fittest at our house.
She's already caught 3 this winter. We've never had them in the house before, but since its been so damn cold they have come in.

We don't use traps or poison. Seems like a cruel way to kill something that I'm just gonna throw away.

Cats are acceptable I guess.. it's not really as natural as you may think though.

Cats are acceptable I guess.. it's not really as natural as you may think though.

you're kidding! Its not natural for a cat to eat a rodent?:bugeye:
and we did manage to save one before the cat got him, and threw him out of the house. (I got him cornered and put him in a cup)

you're kidding! Its not natural for a cat to eat a rodent?:bugeye:
and we did manage to save one before the cat got him, and threw him out of the house. (I got him cornered and put him in a cup)

Not truly.. cats are not natural you know..

You can use repellants, for both rodents and insects and spiders and stuff. That way no one gets hurt. I don't have insects everywhere and I don't have to upset my morals. It works really well for me. We used to get ants and roaches all of the time, but put the chalk stuff around and they never came back. The chalk also isn't toxic so its safe for small children and nosy pets. Its kind of expensive, but it last for about four months so I can deal.

No it's not wrong. Killing with a "good" reason is not wrong. Broken down simply they are attaching your property-your livelihood - your power.

Regarding catch and release. When Gophers were digging up my dads land so bad he couldn't even run a swather safely because of gopher holes, he hired me to shoot them for like 10 bucks a gopher or something. I got about 10 or so, left the bodies out in the field. Guess what, no more gophers - they all fucked off. There was waaay more than 10 of the little bastards on 2 sections of land. The rest probably lived happily ever after, on some Dairy farmers land.

No it's not wrong. Killing with a "good" reason is not wrong. Broken down simply they are attaching your property-your livelihood - your power.

Regarding catch and release. When Gophers were digging up my dads land so bad he couldn't even run a swather safely because of gopher holes, he hired me to shoot them for like 10 bucks a gopher or something. I got about 10 or so, left the bodies out in the field. Guess what, no more gophers - they all fucked off. There was waaay more than 10 of the little bastards on 2 sections of land. The rest probably lived happily ever after, on some Dairy farmers land.

I know it's not wrong, I said it should be wrong... somehow lol
The problem lies in establishing what a good reason is..
I believe one should should minimize his/her damage to the environment as much as possible.
I think it's a good sign when you feel bad about having killed an animal when it was absolutely necessary..
Btw. I know I can come off as one but I am not one of those green freaks.. lol

Back