Would you go to Hell for your children?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I am unable/unwilling to answer the question

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
I can't see any reason to assume her attitude was so mercenary.

Granty,

A people who spend their whole lives in the soft bosom of consumer society are horrified by someone who dies 'for nothing'.

We've been taught that consumption leads to salvation - everlasting life will be achieved by science as long as we keep working and spending. It's our religion in the West.

Here is someone who gave up her very existence - everything she had - for something un-consumable. It goes against the strictest tenets of our faith. Consequently we condemn her for the very sin we are most culpable of.

Greed.

Greenberg said:

Criticizing some other people the way you criticize the woman in the OP

Let's be clear on this one, Greenberg. I criticized her in the topic title. The topic post asked two simple questions (okay, three, but two of the three reflect on one another):

(1) Is this what Jesus meant?
(2) What would you risk for your children?
(3) Is eternal damnation on the list?​

Truth is, Greenberg, there is a sense of greed that poisons the image of Christianity in American culture. I don't understand how it is that the selfless option so often coincides with what is best for the individual of faith. That is, how is it that service others in the way and spirit of Christ is so frequently the personally-profitable option?

I could make the claim that I'm trying to help my Christian neighbors protect their spiritual investment, but that would be disingenuous since I stopped caring about that aspect long ago.

The specific theology of whether God meant transfusions when ordering people to not consume the blood of other animals is, actually, a fairly minor point. It wasn't worth the risk, and theologically (see Matthew 25), whatsoever she would not do for the least of His brethren, so also she would not do for Him. She may have otherwise been willing to walk in the way of Christ, but not on this occasion.

More than whether or not this choice--which I do interpret as greedy--makes her a bad person, this case reflects how a very influential idea in society (e.g., Christian faith) is betrayed in practice by its own adherents. And this would be its own thing to leave unto the flock, except for the fact that the rest of the world suffers for the decisions of this group.

Breaking this illusion within Christianity will bring minimal profit at best in my lifetime. But it will make a better world for my daughter, my neighbor's daughter, and the entire future of humanity. And if that makes me selfish or irrational in your eyes, so be it. I would dispute your standard, but, frankly, it's not worth it. Not because I consider you inflexible or unmovable. Far from it. But, rather, I don't perceive you as a persecutory type, and your inquiries seem to reflect a more genuine consideration. Of course, I might be presuming too much of your character, and if that is the case, I wholeheartedly apologize.

Breaking this illusion within Christianity will bring minimal profit at best in my lifetime. But it will make a better world for my daughter, my neighbor's daughter, and the entire future of humanity.

Ain't that interesting?! It's much the same words that many Christian preachers use to preach to their congregations. They almost always say things like ...when talking about Jesus and the faith, they often say, "...it will make a better world for my daughter, my neighbor's daughter, and the entire future of humanity".

Face it, Tiassa, you're not just stating your opinions, you're preaching to us in the same/similar way as evangelical preachers preach ...just a different faith, that's all. :D

Baron Max

Granty,

A people who spend their whole lives in the soft bosom of consumer society are horrified by someone who dies 'for nothing'.

We've been taught that consumption leads to salvation - everlasting life will be achieved by science as long as we keep working and spending. It's our religion in the West.

Here is someone who gave up her very existence - everything she had - for something un-consumable. It goes against the strictest tenets of our faith. Consequently we condemn her for the very sin we are most culpable of.

Greed.

Well put. But to make it more morally neutral, I agree that it is a projection. I think some people do weigh consequences as a consistant strategy. If I do this, this will happen. If I do that, that will happen. Hmm. Pros and cons. Decision.

There are other people, and many of them are religious - but this is definitely not restricted to religious people - who make decisions based on authority. They see following authority as good in itself. They are not focussing on consequences but focusing on following orders.

In any mundane situation where we have a strict authority figure, some people will be ass-kissers who follow the authority figures orders with goals in mind, greed if you will. But then there are others who see following authority as good and correct in and of itself. They do the authority figures bidding without focusing on personal gain or future consequences.

To assume that her process involved a choice based on prioritizing future gain seems to me to show a lack of awareness of how diverse we are.

When I see an assumption like this I now think of two possibilities for the root of this assumption:
1) it is some sort of projection - which is what you said, specifically focusing on greed. In my version above I am focusing on the projection of a decision-making process and assuming it is universal.
2) there is some psychological gain in making this woman out worse then she may have been.

A last point is that if she had gone against her God - this is from her perspective - her children would have had a mother who had gone against God on a fundamental issue. I am not assuming she took the consequences apart in this way. But if she did the decision she made still does not have to have been one that put her needs ahead of her children's.

I am not, just to be clear, saying she made the right decision, or her beliefs are correct. (this is not directed so much at you but at other potential readers)

Breaking this illusion within Christianity will bring minimal profit at best in my lifetime.

Breaking this illusion within Christianity? Have you had any success so far? Has any militant or vigilant atheist or rationalist ever had any lasting success with debunking Christian claims?

I don't think so. When Christian claims are attacked, Christians usually hold on to them even more firmly. And then we all get more oppression from them.

But much more important than the external fight is that the real fight against Christianity goes on within one's own mind, especially if one has been raised Christian and struggles to break free.
I think this is where one can make the most progress, though, and reap the greatest benefits.

It is certainly not easy to break free from the accusatory Christian voice in the mind. But one can learn to disengage from that and find new, healthier sources of self-esteem and self-worth.

I know that I bring much more joy to my loved ones if I stay away from fighting with Christianity, either with Christians or when fighting out the arguments in my mind.
I am in a better mood, I am more productive. Last but not least, I am healthier than I was before.
All that anger and spitefulness I felt for Christians used to give me bad stomach problems. Not to mention that I was literally becoming more and more stupid.

That doesn't mean I am carelss about what is going on in the world. It's just my realization that worried, worn and troubled, I can not do much good, neither for myself, nor for others.

Your daughter needs you now. Worn and troubled, you are of little use to her.

I'm sorry, Greenberg, but I just can't share your hopeless attitude. I realize it's much easier for folks like you to do your job if you can convince everyone else to just give up, but I'm not buying it. As long as surrounding a child with Christian media so that anywhere she looks she sees the graven image of Jesus isn't preaching, evangelizing, or otherwise teaching Jesus, I will continue to question those standards. As long as teaching a child to sing theologically-inaccurate propaganda songs isn't preaching or evangelizing, I will continue to question such standards. As long as my neighbors include people who claim to be Christians, I will continue to examine the theology and its translation into practice. And as long as the only consistent factor about that translation is that it "coincidentally" reflects what any particular individual Christian already wants, I will hold Christianity to be a fraud.

It's real simple, Greenberg: even if I could shoot them for endangering my child's welfare, I wouldn't. I don't believe such violence accomplishes anything positive in the end. But I simply refuse to accept your proposition that I should simply sit back and let a bunch of greedy people harm my child, or anyone else's. I can't tell other parents how to protect the future generations of humanity, but I can certainly leave a record for people to see if they wander through here.

And if the only effect of this relatively simple study and labor is that a Christian here or there is compelled to be more honest about his or her faith, I don't see why I should be disappointed. No one of us can save the world alone, and that's just fine.

You may have worn yourself out, but, frankly, I don't buy your pitch. How convenient that the one thing you apparently learned is to step out of the way and let the liars run free. Get them out of school board arguments, get them off the ballot, and get their supremacist ideology out of the way of civil rights, and I would be happy to leave them be. In other words, they picked a fight, and it would have been easy enough to ignore and walk away from, except they insist.

I recognize that you think my best duty to my daughter is to not protect her, but you simply aren't going to convince me of that point.

...I can certainly leave a record for people to see if they wander through here.

Yes, and as the Good Book states unequivocally: By your words thou shalt be justified, and by your words thou shalt be condemned.

In other words, they picked a fight, and it would have been easy enough to ignore and walk away from, except they insist.

No, it is the likes of you, who stubbornly resist God's offer of peace who've picked the fight with Him. Guess what, you're toast.

I'm sorry, Greenberg, but I just can't share your hopeless attitude. I realize it's much easier for folks like you to do your job if you can convince everyone else to just give up, but I'm not buying it. As long as surrounding a child with Christian media so that anywhere she looks she sees the graven image of Jesus isn't preaching, evangelizing, or otherwise teaching Jesus, I will continue to question those standards. As long as teaching a child to sing theologically-inaccurate propaganda songs isn't preaching or evangelizing, I will continue to question such standards. As long as my neighbors include people who claim to be Christians, I will continue to examine the theology and its translation into practice. And as long as the only consistent factor about that translation is that it "coincidentally" reflects what any particular individual Christian already wants, I will hold Christianity to be a fraud.

I deal with Christians on a daily basis, I know all to well what it is like.
Not letting myself be dragged into debates with them works far better than trying to convince them that I am a person too and that I have the right to my own mind. They don't buy that. For them, I don't really exist, other than as a potential convert. Such people cannot be reasonably dealt with.

And if the only effect of this relatively simple study and labor is that a Christian here or there is compelled to be more honest about his or her faith, I don't see why I should be disappointed.

I have to say you are very idealistic.
I have never once seen that a Christian would actually take to heart what I said about his religion, no matter what I said.
"First look at the beam in your own eye" is the standard reply.

How convenient that the one thing you apparently learned is to step out of the way and let the liars run free.

Not at all. I make an effort not to bite their baits. And I think this is more efficient than to get into debates with them. If I leave them be without aggravating them, they calm down, they lose interest.

Get them out of school board arguments, get them off the ballot, and get their supremacist ideology out of the way of civil rights, and I would be happy to leave them be. In other words, they picked a fight, and it would have been easy enough to ignore and walk away from, except they insist.

Yes, they pick a fight, and they are the ones setting the terms - and we give in. We let them set the rules of the fight. That's the problem.

To straighten things out in the social arena, I think a much more fundamental change is needed than to figure out arguments against various Christian claims.

I recognize that you think my best duty to my daughter is to not protect her, but you simply aren't going to convince me of that point.

I just don't think you are actually protecting her or yourself that way. Or at least I think there are better ways to protect oneself and that which is precious.

Like learning to say No and not feeling guilty for it.
Learning not to get dragged into debates.
Working out one's insecurities and vulnerabilities so that others can't take advantage of us.
Having a goal in life and diligently pursuing it.
Learning to stand up for oneself.
These things can be learned and developed.

Appealing to other people's compassion, goodness and reasonability is, in my opinion, a dangerous and inefficient way to seek safety in this world.

And most of all, I think one should first have a strong inner core, a firm set of clearly worked out stances, good concentration, good debate tactics, a great variety of strategies - before getting into debate with the opposing party. Otherwise, one will just make a greater mess.

Yes, and as the Good Book states unequivocally: By your words thou shalt be justified, and by your words thou shalt be condemned.

No, it is the likes of you, who stubbornly resist God's offer of peace who've picked the fight with Him. Guess what, you're toast.

Well, there's as surprise. The good book says this and the good book says that. Do you ever think about anything that is not related to the so-called good book ? As long as you and other people of the good book have any say in the " education " ( brainwashing ) of the young , the future is bleak.

How do you know the good book is good ? Let me guess. It was drawn to your attention when you were at an impressionable age and you believed what you were told by others who quoted passages from the good book, and they in turn believed in the good book because ........

Can you explain why your good book is true and other good books are wrong ?

One of the most odious injunctions I have heard is : "Bring up your children in the Fear and Love of God" What a contradiction. But I'm sure you can find an explanation in the good book

Your mention of "toast" might provide an explanation. " Children, if you do not believe in the Good Book, God, in His infinite Love and Mercy. will see you burn in Hell for all eternity "

I think you are sick

Greenberg,

I can see where you are coming from, but consider the following :

Here in the UK there are moves afoot to introduce privately funded " faith schools". I believe such schools will create deeper divisions in society than exist at present. And here's a real surprise: children will be thought Intelligent Design as if it were a science.

How would you oppose the introduction of such schools? I don't think a supine posture is effective.

Perhaps I should mention that not all pupils will come from a religious background. Because these schools are funded by the wealthy, they will have high calibre, teachers better resources and so on. Non-Christian parents will seek admission for their kids on these grounds alone, without realizing the wider consequences of making such a choice.

Last edited:
How do you know the good book is good ? Let me guess. It was drawn to your attention when you were at an impressionable age and you believed what you were told by others who quoted passages from the good book, and they in turn believed in the good book because ........

Guess again. I was raised Catholic, didn't know much of the Good Book throughout my early life. As a child I was drawn to and studied Communism...during early adolescence, I studied many religions but remained very cynical toward religion--and Christianity in particular...however, interestingly, during all this time I never considered myself an athiest...After High School, chose not to go to college and quite unexpectedly was asked to join a group of local HS Basketball players who were all recruited to play for a Baptist church. It was while there that my attitude towards God stuff and Christianity in particular began to change. I was among the most cynical mockers of these people within this group of HS players. However, ther kindness impressed me...I began to study the Bible for myself...the rest is HIS Story.

I know the Good Book is Good because I've looked at what's out there--nothing else even comes close.

Can you explain why your good book is true and other good books are wrong ?

In a word, Authorship. You are made in the Image of God. A trained ear can recognise and differentiate between the work of one composer and another--it's the same with comparing and listening to Scriptures. You can recognise the work/'voice' of man...given our creation, the work and voice of God is similarly recognisable and unmistakably clear.

Last edited:

In a word, Authorship. You are made in the Image of God. A trained ear can recognise and differentiate between the work of one composer and another--it's the same with comparing and listening to Scriptures. You can recognise the work/'voice' of man...given our creation, the work and voice of God is similarly recognisable and unmistakably clear.

Spoken like a true Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and an affiliate of any other religion / sect you care to think of.

lucifer:
you know you make me giggle at times, you wont belive that certain medical conditions excist

No. I do believe that ADHD exists, but I think it is overdiagnosed. But that's irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

but you think its totally ok for a woman to kill herself after giving birth leaving her children wihtout a mum!!

I don't think it's OK! It's a pity, but at least she was true to her beliefs. But then again, a lot of the whiners in this thread apparently have no problem with breaking an oath! These preachy imbeciles have no spine. They lack the courage to follow through with their convictions, even if these convictions do them harm. Remember, the whiners are the same people who moderate these forums, and only enforce the rules when it suits them. Go figure.

On good-for-nothing slaves

Mountainhare

Regarding a couple of your statements:

• It's a pity, but at least she was true to her beliefs. (#1644793/195)
• Or couldn't she just be so devoted to her God, that she chooses to act with honour and obey the pact she made with him? (#1644810/196)​

I would ask if nothing strikes you amiss when being true to one's (Christian) beliefs conveniently means choosing the self (even by some perverse twist, such as passive suicide) over others? The tragedy of this situation is what happens when we step beyond the one (doctrinally dubious) belief about transfusions and consider broader aspects of Christian faith and theology.

Specifically, the idea that there comes a point when one would no longer take a risk for another. The reason I don't think Ms. Gough's decision reflects what Jesus meant (topic question) is the content of His instruction in Matthew 25. Similar conflicts are found in many churches of varying sects in Christianity. When the choices of faith conveniently represent the most immediate pandering for reward, the faithful are what the KJV describes as the "unprofitable servant" (Matt. 25.30). The NASB uses the phrase "worthless slave"; the RSV, "worthless servant"; and the NWT°, "good-for-nothing slave".

Where the servants who went forth with the wealth entrusted them by the master and risked what they had been given earned praised for their decision, the master had only rebuke for the servant who buried away the talent entrusted him in order to pander for his master's favor: "So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours." (Matt. 25.25 NWT)

There is, of course, an argument to be made concerning the greed of the master, but since this comparison was put forward by Jesus himself, we can probably leave that discussion for another day.

Yes, I called this woman greedy for her decision. But I also suggested that she might be a victim. Those who feel compelled to pay attention to my posts might recall that I sometimes use a phrase akin to, "they didn't stand a chance from the outset", and this is, in part what I'm referring to. She may well have acted in accord with her belief, but that would indicate that the beliefs she was taught and accepted played more to her own self-interest than anything else.

And it is this teaching, this bestowal, that is so damaging. From the moment one believes that Christian faith is invested effectively in self-interest, one does not stand a chance.

Notes:

° NWT - The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is the version of the Bible offered at Watchtower.org, the "Official Web Site of Jehovah’s Witnesses".

Tiassa:
I would ask if nothing strikes you amiss when being true to one's (Christian) beliefs conveniently means choosing the self (even by some perverse twist, such as passive suicide) over others?

She didn't choose 'herself', any more than a soldier chooses 'themself' when they decide to die for their country. You assume selfish motives, when all this woman did was hold true to her convictions. The fact of the matter is that she made an obligation to God, and she stayed true to her beliefs. I find that admirable.

If more religious individuals had the cajones to follow through with their doctrines (no matter how absurd they may be) instead of selectively ignoring particular passages when it suited them to do so, I would have significantly more respect for the religious in general.

Can you understand the concept of following through with an obligation, Tiassa? I'm an atheist, but I respect this woman's decision.

And it is this teaching, this bestowal, that is so damaging. From the moment one believes that Christian faith is invested effectively in self-interest, one does not stand a chance.

You're not alone with this kind of criticism.

There is a Buddhist teaching that goes into this decisively:

"Monks, there are these three sectarian guilds that — when cross-examined, pressed for reasons, & rebuked by wise people — even though they may explain otherwise, remain stuck in [a doctrine of] inaction. Which three?

"There are priests & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all caused by what was done in the past.' There are priests & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation.' There are priests & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all without cause & without condition.'

"Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.'

When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplative who hold to such teachings, such views.

AN 3.61

(emphases mine)

:shrug:

Spoken like a true ignoramus.

I envy you your monopoly of the truth ,while the rest of the world lives in ignorance of your good book.Why not take a copy to the Middle East and explain to those poor, ignorant Muslims why their good book is not such a good book as your good book.

Last edited:
Back