Would you go to Hell for your children?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I am unable/unwilling to answer the question

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

Specifically, the idea that there comes a point when one would no longer take a risk for another. The reason I don't think Ms. Gough's decision reflects what Jesus meant (topic question) is the content of His instruction in Matthew 25. Similar conflicts are found in many churches of varying sects in Christianity. When the choices of faith conveniently represent the most immediate pandering for reward, the faithful are what the KJV describes as the "unprofitable servant" (Matt. 25.30). The NASB uses the phrase "worthless slave"; the RSV, "worthless servant"; and the NWT°, "good-for-nothing slave".
Where the servants who went forth with the wealth entrusted them by the master and risked what they had been given earned praised for their decision, the master had only rebuke for the servant who buried away the talent entrusted him in order to pander for his master's favor: "So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours." (Matt. 25.25 NWT)

The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is the version of the Bible offered at Watchtower.org, the "Official Web Site of Jehovah’s Witnesses".
----------------------------------------------------

I have read your thinly disguised sermon and your commercial. Would you now like to treat us to a few quotations from The Origin of Species.
May I also take this oportunity of recommending The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, available at all fine bookstores. It costs a few dollars and an open mind

Last edited:
Notes Around

Notes Around ....

To start with:

Greenberg

Bravo. I do not say this sarcastically. I do, in fact, appreciate your response in #189. I'm also well aware that I was baiting you in #187.

If I venture to say the primary difference between what I perceive in your posts and what I think, feel, and believe in response to this strange phenomenon called Christianity is a question of inner profit, or whether something has a useful point, I'm aware the assertion treats the whole issue simplistically.

To use a harsh and difficult contrast, if we look at the domestic abuser who asserts—and our modern era still finds some of these among us—that the violence is an expression of love, I would not argue that the abuser should not love, but that the criteria and commitments of love contradict the nature of love. While I have witnessed parents infuriated by their offspring's sexual conduct, I am hard pressed to figure out why—and again, I must disclaim the severity of the contrast—the parent would kill the child. In the contemporary first world, for instance we do not hear of Christians invoking the Old Testament and lopping off a child's hand. Hell, my daughter caught me with an amazing left haymaker Friday night. Should she feel lucky that I'm not a Christian? There are far better reasons for that; I wouldn't invoke the Bible and take off her hand. And perhaps that would be to the peril of my own soul (e.g. topic citations of Matthew and Luke), but I would posit that as faith asserts Christ has died for our sins, it would be better to place my trust in God and know that my daughter's "sin" would be reckoned as the Lord saw fit. And if that means she is forgiven, should I really be upset about that?

• • •​

Myles said:

I have read your thinly disguised sermon and your commercial. Would you now like to treat us to a few quotations from The Origin of Species.
May I also take this oportunity of recommending The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, available at all fine bookstores. It costs a few dollars and an open mind

Why would I? The Origin of Species has no relevance here. As to Dawkins, I don't expect that The God Delusion will cover much that I'm not already familiar with. I'll get to it in time.

While I am frequently accused of sermonizing, I confess your accusation brings a smile. Normally, the accusations are slightly more metaphorical. And I figure if I'm going to answer you about the "commercial", I should probably ask what you mean, because you can't possibly be suggesting the first thing that comes to mind.

• • •​

Mountainhare said:

Can you understand the concept of following through with an obligation, Tiassa?

I post a theological assertion, and this is what you come up with?

Let's consider a pro athlete who signs a contract: he shows up to practice, scores twenty touchdowns, rushes for a thousand yards. He fulfilled his contract, right? Why is he being thrown off the team, seeing the rest of his contract cancelled, and hearing that his right to play in the league is being suspended? Could his violation of the league drug policy have anything to do with it?

What I'm after is that, while Ms. Gough certainly aimed to fulfill a clause of her "contract", as such, she also violated several others. Where you praise her for following through on an obligation, I challenge the foundation and scale of that obligation while simultaneously questioning the relationship of that specific obligation in relation to her other obligations in faith.

I'm an atheist, but I respect this woman's decision.

I would suggest that you're viewing that decision according to a demonstrably narrow perspective on her obligations.

Last edited:
Hi Thiassa,

I read your reference to New Translation of Holy Scriptures....Watchtower, etc. as a commercial. How silly of me. You were only referirng to your source which is the New Translation of the Holy Scriptures at Watchtower etc., etc.

I now share your guilt

Last edited:
Well, at least we got that part figured out. The rest will come in time. Methinks thou art erroneous in one of thy presuppositions.

Well, at least we got that part figured out. The rest will come in time. Methinks thou art erroneous in one of thy presuppositions

Whence thy objection to my presuppositions ? Art thou not aware it is noised abroad that they are wonderfully efficacious in the treatment of those of a haemorrhoidal constitution ?

Tiassa:
I post a theological assertion, and this is what you come up with?

You're quite right, Tiassa. You're a waste of my time. It seems that you can't appreciate those who have the strength of character to follow up on their convictions.

Mountainhare said:

You're quite right, Tiassa. You're a waste of my time. It seems that you can't appreciate those who have the strength of character to follow up on their convictions.

The problem with simply repeating your accusation is that you've ignored a direct response to it. To reiterate:

What I'm after is that, while Ms. Gough certainly aimed to fulfill a clause of her "contract", as such, she also violated several others. Where you praise her for following through on an obligation, I challenge the foundation and scale of that obligation while simultaneously questioning the relationship of that specific obligation ... to her other obligations in faith.

Thus, even if we set aside my challenge of the doctrinal foundation of Ms. Gough's decision, I also question the idea of this one obligation so isolated from many other, interrelated obligations of faith.

• • •​

Myles said:

Whence thy objection to my presuppositions?

Well, let's clear them up directly, sir. What was the point of invoking Darwin and Dawkins? On the one hand, what do they have to do with the topic? Your "open mind" crack suggests that Dawkins' book will inform me of something I need to know. What is that something?

I think we'll both be better off in this discussion if we get that cleared up as soon as we can.

Last edited:
Myles said:

I was baiting you just as you baited Greenberg.

Fine with me, I suppose. Do a better job of it next time.

Seriously. I mean, I'm hard-pressed to see your comparison between recommending someone just give up so that religious supremacists can have their way, and considering the theology ... what, without condemning it strongly enough? I mean, what's your basis of comparison?

Everybody wants to be so accusing, yet so few will consider the theology involved. I admit I find this strange, and at least a little humorous.

But as you see a comparison between surrender and inquiry, I'm anxious to learn what that is.

Fine with me, I suppose. Do a better job of it next time.
I thought I did a pretty good job this time; you took the bait.

Seriously. I mean, I'm hard-pressed to see your comparison between recommending someone just give up so that religious supremacists can have their way, and considering the theology ... what, without condemning it strongly enough? I mean, what's your basis of comparison?

I do not recommend that anyone should give up. I favour reason over what I regard as superstition . I stand against it, not because I believe theists will change, but because others who may be wavering can read the dialogue and ,perhaps, make what I would regard as an informed choice.

I am currently fighting the introduction of " faith schools " in the Uk because I regard the religious indoctrination of young minds as a form of child abuse.

Myles said:

I do not recommend that anyone should give up. I favour reason over what I regard as superstition . I stand against it, not because I believe theists will change, but because others who may be wavering can read the dialogue and ,perhaps, make what I would regard as an informed choice.

I am currently fighting the introduction of " faith schools " in the Uk because I regard the religious indoctrination of young minds as a form of child abuse.

Good for you. Fight the power. Does that mean you're not going to answer the question?

Tiassa:
The problem with simply repeating your accusation is that you've ignored a direct response to it.

No Tiassa. You failed to respond with anything even remotely relevant. You merely erected a giant strawman argument, garnished with a weak analogy.

What I'm after is that, while Ms. Gough certainly aimed to fulfill a clause of her "contract", as such, she also violated several others.

What others are they? I want you to be very precise here, instead of engaging in your typical verbal masturbation. What other 'contracts' did she fail to fulfil? Are these 'contracts' included in the beliefs of a Jehovah's Witness?

Where you praise her for following through on an obligation, I challenge the foundation and scale of that obligation

It's not your place to question or challenge how this woman prioritized her obligations. That is strictly between her, her conscience, and God.

while simultaneously questioning the relationship of that specific obligation ... to her other obligations in faith.

What other obligations are these? Remember, keep it precise. Even better, bullet points.

Thus, even if we set aside my challenge of the doctrinal foundation of Ms. Gough's decision,

A wise move, because the doctrinal foundation is irrelevant. Ms. Gough held the beliefs of a Jehovah's Witness, and that's all that matters.

Mountainhare said:

You failed to respond with anything even remotely relevant. You merely erected a giant strawman argument, garnished with a weak analogy.

So ... what the Bible says is a straw man when considering the beliefs of Christians? Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tiassa:
So ... what the Bible says is a straw man when considering the beliefs of Christians? Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

When considering the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses, we only take into account their interpretation of scripture, not your interpretation. After all, they are responsible for upholding their interpretation, not yours.

Understand, grasshopper?

I don't see what it matters. They have their father. Is he less of a parent than a mother? I don't know why it would have people mad if you followed your own personal beliefs. She didn't harm anyone and its arrogant to presume she did. Just because it isn't what I personally would have done, doesn't mean what she did was selfish.

If she had given the twins up for adoption, so they would never know her, would that make people mad as well?

Back