Does Omniscience Limit Free Will?

You're saying that about a theory that you presented??

My bad. :D
I am using one of those little notebook computers, and my eyesight
isn't good at the best of times.
I thought you were refering to the theories you put forward.

jan.

My bad.
I am using one of those little notebook computers, and my eyesight
isn't good at the best of times.
I thought you were refering to the theories you put forward.

Riiight. Your first thought is that I am someone who prefers to shoot herself in the foot. Duh.

That said, my comment nr. 75 stands.

Signa,

Riiight. Your first thought is that I am someone who prefers to shoot herself in the foot. Duh.

I could make the same assumption:

Riiight. Your first thought is that I am someone who prefers to shoot himself in the foot, Duh!

But my actual assumption was, you didn't attach your belief to
the statement.

It is a theory.

It may be, but, but for me, it is fuller version of
the theory yoiu proposed.

Your desire to see me as evil skews your perceptions.

If you're wrong (which I know you are), the question regarding
your state of mind becomes the focus.

Do you desire to be seen as evil? :D
Or maybe you just want to be desired? :eek:

jan.

ah..but that brings up an issue of partiality..its not about one or the other,but both.
How so?

in regards to human nature
But we're not talking about human nature.

the answer to the question of the OP, lies in the middle..
the answer cannot be yes or no.
Still no reasoning on this...

If God were to tell you what choice you would make at 7:15 Saturday morning,would you still make that choice?
Yes. Otherwise god would be wrong, and therefore not omniscient. I couldn't make any other choice.

You're not looking at HOW God could possibly know that you will choose A, without predetermination. He either:

a. knows without calculation
b. can caluclate every motion of every moment, in relation to everything
Specious argument.

If 'b', then you are free to change your mind as often as you like, and
God will instantly know the outcome through calculation.
Will god know before I choose? I "yes" then I have no choice, if "no" then he's not omniscient.

If 'a' then you may have a point.
I wish you had one.

But we're not talking about human nature.
um..when it comes to God,we are..

Yes. Otherwise god would be wrong, and therefore not omniscient. I couldn't make any other choice.
this is reverse thinking..IOW you are tailoring your answer to your point.
so it is not a honest answer. besides it is also a Pro-God answer, Ie God can't be wrong. as opposed to an anti-god answer like "i would do the opposite of what God wanted."

i would think you would not, just because he said you would.

um..when it comes to God,we are.
So god "suffers" from having a human nature?

this is reverse thinking..IOW you are tailoring your answer to your point.
so it is not a honest answer.
Nope: I gave the answer as I see it. It's fully consistent with what I've been arguing all along.

i would think you would not, just because he said you would.
If god is omniscient (and therefore always right) I couldn't do the opposite.

So god "suffers" from having a human nature?
the OP is about free will,which is human nature.

Nope: I gave the answer as I see it. It's fully consistent with what I've been arguing all along.
this statement is not false..it is exactly as i said, you answer was in line with your argument, which is not necessarily what you would actually do.

If god is omniscient (and therefore always right) I couldn't do the opposite.

not if God is omniscient AND we have free will.
me thinks i got you on this one..doesn't prove anything though. its all good..

the OP is about free will,which is human nature.
The OP is about omniscience precluding free will.

this statement is not false..it is exactly as i said, you answer was in line with your argument, which is not necessarily what you would actually do.
Huh?

not if God is omniscient AND we have free will.
me thinks i got you on this one..doesn't prove anything though. its all good..
I see. So you're under the impression I could choose otherwise and thus make god wrong (and therefore not omniscient). Tell me, how does that work?

I see. So you're under the impression I could choose otherwise and thus make god wrong (and therefore not omniscient). Tell me, how does that work?
dunno..im not smart enough to answer that..
keep in mind it is us who assign omniscient to God.

maybe it is a case of God knows what choices we make, means God knows all the possible choices that we could make. not about just one choice.

If you come upon a robbery, what choices would you be presented with? of those choices how many would not be considered as a result of your personality? (i would not kill another,so that choice would be eliminated from my list of choices)

God can know you will either interfere or not, how you go about those conditions are up to you.(this sounds close)

in a job setting..your boss tells you he wants X designed, since he is boss that means you have no choice but to get X designed.. you still have the freedom to design the thing any way you want as long as it meets your boss's specifications,

so maybe the omniscients is more about 'how' we choose, more than 'what' we choose.

so maybe the omniscients is more about 'how' we choose, more than 'what' we choose.
This comes back to compatibilism:
Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills

Whatever we think about having a free choice if god truly is omniscient then we cannot have one.

Back