Does Omniscience Limit Free Will?

Never mind.
One day you may be smart enough to participate. But don't hold your breath.

If you're wrong (which I know you are), the question regarding
your state of mind becomes the focus.

Do you desire to be seen as evil?

You are not a bubble of goodwill, Ardena.

Or maybe you just want to be desired?

0_61_queen_elizabeth_030607.jpg

A British sexual innuendo! How novel! :rolleyes:

If god knows you will choose option A then you cannot ever, under any circumstance choose B. If the future is known (as it must be with omniscience) then all we are doing is following a pre-written script that we ourselves are unaware of. The fact that we are unaware of the script is what gives us the illusion of free will. The fact that god knows means we don't.
A pre-written script that allows for free-will?

Really your argument doesn't seem to follow as knowledge is not the truth-maker but our choices are.

Allright, let's explore this:
Why is it scary that some people have enormous amounts of self-confidence?

Regarding a christian God, the Bible says that he is outside of time. So cause and effect doesn't necessarily go in only one direction for him. It's quite possible that, if there is a God, he didn't know how all this was going to turn out when he started it, then he sat around and watched, then went back to tell us about it. In fact, he could go back farther than that. He could go back so far that we could say he's always known. In other words, we can do things now that cause him to have that knowledge in the past. His knowledge doesn't cause our actions. Our actions cause his knowledge.

Omniscience/Free Will Paradox

Not so much self-confidence per se but the ones who have an unwavering certainty that they're right.
Certainty leads to inflexibility and a doctrinaire approach.

Not so much self-confidence per se but the ones who have an unwavering certainty that they're right.

And what is wrong with that?

What metaphysical implications does the fact have for you that people exist who presume themselves unwaveringly certain, who are inflexible?

What metaphysical implications does the fact have for you that there exist sharks, smallpox, tapeworms, meteors, vulcanoes, terrorists etc.?

I am certain i am right, but i will accept that i could be wrong..

I am certain i am right, but i will accept that i could be wrong..
Um, then you're not certain are you?

And what is wrong with that?
What metaphysical implications does the fact have for you that people exist who presume themselves unwaveringly certain, who are inflexible?
It's not the metaphysical implications that worry me.
Hence my "Hitler" comment.

Back