Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

children are not stupid
but their values are very pliable
you can teach them by making them understand that things that they don't want for themselves shouldn't be done to others
yes, the "making" is quite easy

and more important, you teach them by giving your own example

not by brainwashing them
why is one's own example not suggestive of brain washing?
BTW there are models of childhood education (not that I agree with them) that children are contaminated due to association with adults (Rudolph Steiner) - I only mention it because even such practitioners concede that the result of adult association is inevitable

sam, pay attention
at the point i cited that as an example, we were discussing subjective forms of good

probably hate

Or despair?
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n21/rose01_.html

That Israeli policy engendered suicide bombing was acknowledged by Rabin. Having originally promoted indiscriminate bombing of South Lebanon ‘until there’s nobody left there’ – he was defence minister at the time – he finally came to the view that ‘terror cannot be finished by one war; it’s total nonsense.’ By replacing ‘PLO terrorism’ with ‘Shia terrorism’, he acknowledged, Israel had done ‘the worst thing’ in the struggle against terrorism: ‘Not one PLO terrorist,’ he said, ‘has ever made himself into a live bomb.’

According to Eyad El-Sarraj, the founder and director of the Gaza Community Mental Health Programme, today’s suicide attackers are, for the most part, children of the first intifada. Studies show that during the first uprising, 55 per cent of children saw their fathers being humiliated or beaten by Israeli soldiers. Martyrdom – sacrificing oneself for God – increases its appeal when the image of the earthly father bites the dust. ‘It’s despair,’ El-Sarraj states baldly, ‘a despair where living becomes no different from dying.’ When life is constant degradation, death is the only source of pride. ‘In 1996, practically all of us were against the martyr operations,’ Kamal Aqeel, the acting mayor of Khan Yunis in Gaza, explains. ‘Not any longer . . . We all feel that we can no longer bear the situation as it is; we feel that we’d simply explode under all this pressure of humiliation.’

It's not difficult at all. My niece is only 3 years old and she is perfectly cabable of understanding that she shouldn't hit her little brother because it hurts, she shouldn't steal his candy because she wouldn't like hers stolen. The lessons grow in complexity along with the child's capacity to understand.

The parent's example is a very powerful education tool, children imitate the adults, therefore this tool shouldn't be abused. I think that actions should be acompained with explanations.

I haven't raised any children myself, so I am not going to propose anything.

I'm watching closely as my sister raises her 3 year old and her 1 year old,though, much like we were raised by our parents, except without religion. No absolutes except the inconditional love. It's working pretty well but it's too soon to make affirmations I suppose.

I'm sure that at least some atheists teach their children their version of how the Earth and its creatures came to be; just like agnostics and theists do.

It's not difficult at all. My niece is only 3 years old and she is perfectly cabable of understanding that she shouldn't hit her little brother because it hurts, she shouldn't steal his candy because she wouldn't like hers stolen. The lessons grow in complexity along with the child's capacity to understand.

The parent's example is a very powerful education tool, children imitate the adults, therefore this tool shouldn't be abused. I think that actions should be acompained with explanations.

I haven't raised any children myself, so I am not going to propose anything.

I'm watching closely as my sister raises her 3 year old and her 1 year old,though, much like we were raised by our parents, except without religion. No absolutes except the inconditional love. It's working pretty well but it's too soon to make affirmations I suppose.

basically complexities arise when a child comes to understand themselves as a vehicle of justice - which gives rise to responses when things are not "fair", what constitutes a misuse of justice ("who is right" "who is wrong") etc etc --- you know, all the things we lurv to discuss on sciforums

I'm sure that at least some atheists teach their children their version of how the Earth and its creatures came to be; just like agnostics and theists do.

"Their" version is based on observed facts, and the best evidence that is available at this time. Not on dogmatic creation myths that date from thousands of years ago when it was common knowledge that diseases were caused by evil spirits, and lightning was used by god to punish the unrighteous.

"Their" version is based on observed facts, and the best evidence that is available at this time. Not on dogmatic creation myths that date from thousands of years ago when it was common knowledge that diseases were caused by evil spirits, and lightning was used by god to punish the unrighteous.
observed facts and best evidence, eh?
;)

basically complexities arise when a child comes to understand themselves as a vehicle of justice - which gives rise to responses when things are not "fair", what constitutes a misuse of justice ("who is right" "who is wrong") etc etc --- you know, all the things we lurv to discuss on sciforums

yes yes of course

I recall that most of my conflicts with my siblings and parents as I was growing up were for thinking that my parent's ruling against me on a certain matter was not just
but ultimately you know that while you are living under their roof, their word is final word

Raising children is deffinitely one of the most challenging life experiences. I don't mean to sound like it's easy. I just think that children's intelligence, specially younger ones, is seriously demeaned by a lot of parents.

just as long as they are not presented as facts

Assuming I manage to have some, my children will be taught that we live on a very old planet, that we, (and all other life forms) evolved, and that the universe is large and old beyond true human comprehension. That there is no good reason to believe that humans are special, and that claims that a creator made the universe for our benefit are incredible. I have no problem with the idea of presenting these ideas as facts, especially since they will also understand that believing in things dogmatically is wrong.

Assuming I manage to have some, my children will be taught that we live on a very old planet, that we, (and all other life forms) evolved, and that the universe is large and old beyond true human comprehension. That there is no good reason to believe that humans are special, and that claims that a creator made the universe for our benefit are incredible. I have no problem with the idea of presenting these ideas as facts, especially since they will also understand that believing in things dogmatically is wrong.
Agreed. In this case a child raised so can easily confirm or deny these things with a modicum of study. And in any event, such a person is encouraged to question things and find out for themselves. The reams of evidence for the claims made above is accessible to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and interest.

I don't see the similarities between this approach and a dogmatic indoctrination into a way of belief.

maybe they will start to smell the dogma after reaching a certain age ....
:D

And your point is...?

Agreed. In this case a child raised so can easily confirm or deny these things with a modicum of study. And in any event, such a person is encouraged to question things and find out for themselves. The reams of evidence for the claims made above is accessible to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and interest.

I don't see the similarities between this approach and a dogmatic indoctrination into a way of belief.

All rhetoric. Not a single athiest here with theist children. :p

You would be teaching them a life of silent despair.
And then they would take guns, shoot other people and themselves.

There are things that must be believed dogmatically, if the person is to survive. Like believing about oneself that one is a worthy person and has the right to live.

Thats exactly what believing is...merely a choice.

How many people who believe one thing or another,
actually sat down, thought about the options -
"Let's see, which could I believe, A, or B. Or C? Or D? Okay. I'll believe in B."
- and ended up believing?

I don't think anyone did. Arriving at a belief in something is usually complex and can therefore be hardly considered a "choice".

SAM said:
All rhetoric. Not a single athiest here with theist children.
But plenty of examples of atheists raising their children with much exposure to theisms of one sort and another.

And nothing much in the way of indoctrination, apparently.

Back