Conservation of souls?

Actually, no, you're the one who does that. You see people walking by and you call that evidence of God. That is something other. I see people waking by and they're people walking by. No need to tack on any "God".
If you see the same essence (spirit) in others that is you, when you understand we all come from the same source, do you lose that separation of "other"? Don't get me wrong, the other is important, at least as a concept. I mean, who would I talk to on SciForms if there were no "others"?

Musika:

Its more that there are a host of things that empiricism cannot deliver. God is but one of them.
What are some others?

That discussion culminated in the example of the scope the Andaman Islanders have for recognizing the technological, cultural and political superiority of the Indian sovereignty they are currently existing under.
You concluded they would have no scope beyond a sort of primitive ruminating equivalent to "magic" which is necessarily inaccurate.
I concluded that they could potentially come to proper and full knowledge by appropriate reciprocation with Indian officials on the grounds established, 100%, by the said Indian officials.
My memory of our conversation might be a little different to yours, I think.

I vaguely recall writing something along the lines of Indian Sovereignty over the Andaman Islanders having no visible impact on the daily lives of the Islanders, from their point of view. Hence, they could quite happily go about their daily lives as if India did not exist. If it is true that you and I are in a similar position vis a vis God (i.e. God has no visible effects on our daily lives etc.) then I think we probably agree with one another, more or less.

The Andaman Islanders might imagine some kind of external influence on their lives, but in the absence of any actual effects on them, it's all just theorising. Their imagination need not match the reality in any way. And again, if you and I are in an equivalent position vis a vis God, then how can you be confident that your beliefs about God reflect any kind of meaningful external reality?

But then you mention "reciprocation with Indian officials". To me, that implies some kind of direct contact with said officials, which would amount to an empirical demonstration of the reality of India to the satisfaction of most sensible Andaman Islanders, I would have thought.

Do you claim to have/have had an analogous "appropriate reciprocation" with your God? If so, can you show me evidence of that?

Last edited:
Physics being the result of what

Haven't got the fine details but it appears that a total void containing absolutely nothing is an impossibility

Matter flips in and out of existence

At once stage enough popped into existence to form the Universe

If you wish to claim a sentient Sky Daddy was present before the Universe formed and caused the formation and NOT physics fine.

Look at the calculations, observations and measurements and point to any moment and explain to the Scientists
"See there, right there, THAT could NOT have happened without a Sky Daddy causing it to happen"

Be prepared to be carried on the shoulders of Scientists through the streets of which ever city you happen to be. As well you can expect the pope to come to you
So your intelligence, emotions, and consciousness is the product of a stupid universe? Okay.

No - your homework for the week is to work out why my answer is no

Other posters are free to put forward their views about my answer

Good luck

:)

Haven't got the fine details but it appears that a total void containing absolutely nothing is an impossibility

Matter flips in and out of existence

At once stage enough popped into existence to form the Universe

If you wish to claim a sentient Sky Daddy was present before the Universe formed and caused the formation and NOT physics fine.

Look at the calculations, observations and measurements and point to any moment and explain to the Scientists
"See there, right there, THAT could NOT have happened without a Sky Daddy causing it to happen"

Everything is a creation, Michael, including the minds that set out to explain the physics of the universe. You can look at a circle and call it round, but your far from defining the Universe. Kudos to science. I love it, but I don't worship it.

Be prepared to be carried on the shoulders of Scientists through the streets of which ever city you happen to be. As well you can expect the pope to come to you

That would be fun.

No - your homework for the week is to work out why my answer is no

Other posters are free to put forward their views about my answer

Good luck

No work necessary. In your universe you are nothing more than a lump of space debris. Nothing of any real significance. A freak accident. Of course I don't believe that true

Musika:

I haven't had a chance before now to respond to your posts to me from a while ago. But the theme I'd like to concentrate on is the same one as in my post immediately prior to this one.

You have made various claims about the soul, saying it is the "most intimate source of agency and identity" and that "the soul 'wears' bodies", that it "animates matter", and so on. But all this raises the following question for me: how do you know all this?

I don't understand where all this information about souls comes from. You might tell me that you read about souls in a religious text, but that merely pushes the question back a step, and I ask how the writer(s) of that text came to have that knowledge.

You agree that none of this stuff about souls is empirical knowledge. It isn't based on observation of souls, because souls are not detectable by empirical methods. So how do you know all this?

You take issue with the "reductionism" of physics, so I take it that your knowledge of the soul is based on some kind of "wholeistic" knowledge. But I'm still at a loss as to how you gained such knowledge. Understand that I don't mean you, specifically, but anybody.

Similarly with statements like this:
The soul has no qualitative connection to matter. Granted we now experience life through the medium of matter, but that occurs through a superior agency ... I think we touched on that briefly in your "what does God do" thread.
The animating force of life is not a material element, hence it doesnt appear in the purview of instruments that record matter.
How is this animating force of life perceived, if not through the medium of matter?

If the soul animates the body, doesn't that imply a connection between the non-material soul and the material body? Clearly it does, and your explanation for how that connection "works" reduces, as far as I can tell, to "God makes it work".

From my point of view, you look like you're assuming that a non-material "spark" is needed to animate life. But I'm sure you don't regard it as an assumption - or else you regard it as a justified assumption (perhaps on the basis of "life comes from life" or something like that)? Is that right?

And then you posit and additional entity (God), that is separate from these animating souls, that is supposedly required in addition, in order to run the whole "soul" system. Which raises the obvious next question: how do you know that God exists?

This is where I'm getting stuck. Where does this knowledge - this certainty - you claim to have, about souls and God, come from? And how does it come?

It would be circular to claim that knowledge of God is given by the very God whose existence you're trying to establish in the first place, wouldn't it? You'd just be begging the question if you were to claim that God exists because he tells you he exists (through some other non-material, unspecified, mechanism). Wouldn't you?

You make an analogy:
Perhaps its like the life of a nerd who takes shelter of computer games to compensate for their poor social skills. The computer and the game are manufactured by "superior agencies" IRL(the nerd neither manufactured or designed it nor powers it). The nerd is also IRL. The games they play are based on themes and narratives and events IRL. The computer and associated components are IRL But because the nerd has some reservation about real life in regards to their identity or role, they spend all their time controlling a pixelated avatar that is designed, facilitated and maintained by superior agency, IRL. In the state of such immersion, they experience (a shadow) of the full gamut of human experience through the trials and tribulations of a series of pixelated avatars. The pixels are real, the computer is real. The nerd is real (and of course real life, the very medium on which the game is based, is real). The grief and jubilation the nerd feels on account of the exploits of various avatars is real. Yet the only part that is not real is the nerds identification with the avatar. Actually they are not the avatars (that they are controlling through the arrangement of superior agencies). IOW the rubber meets the road through the medium of illusion.
This reminds me of the brain-in-a-vat scenario. It is possible, of course, that you and I are actually brains in vats, being fed "fake" sensory data by somebody else (aliens, advanced humans, AIs, you name it). But I don't claim to know that these "enablers" of my life and all my perceptions exist (if they exist). The best I can say is: they might conceivably exist. I certainly couldn't know anything about them, independently of what they chose to feed me.

Would you agree that your God could be an alien species or advanced artificial intelligence controlling you as a brain in a vat, or perhaps a simulation in their computer? That kind of God would not need to be supernatural, in the sense of being empirically unexplainable, though of course that God would be inaccessible to our empirical investigation.

Throughout all of this, the nerd is but a disempowered seer, who can merely desire. We are in a position of being unlimitedly limited
Is this how you view your relationship to God? Is God the computer programmer who restricts your real choices while providing you with the mere illusion of freedom in an ultimately-artificial world?

It strikes me as a depressing sort of worldview to hold, if so. Not that it would have any practical effects on your daily life, if it were true.

My point has been that its the nature of life that it doesnt leave a material fingerprint to trace, so to speak.
In a previous post, you acknowledged that you would be willing to change your mind if it turns our that life does leave a material fingerprint, contrary to what you currently believe. I'm glad you're open to changing your mind.

Can you analyze the world of matter to enter in to a deeper understanding of things? Sure, the world is your unlimited oyster.
Can you come to the point of materially isolating a transcendent cause? You would have better chances of locating a missing submarine in your kitchen sink.
But the thing is, you make the explicit claim that you have isolated a transcendent cause. You call that cause God. But how did you locate that God? Since material means can't help, you must have used transcendent means. Right? How does that work, then?

If the idea of God destroys your curiousity about the world, I would argue that you weren't primarily curious about the world at the onset.
My point is that God is a dead end in terms of being an explanation of anything. Once you say "God did it", that's as far as you can go. And you haven't really increased your understanding. "God did it" is just a place holder for not understanding, as far as I can tell. I want to know how God makes souls work, and how souls make bodies work. I want a better answer than "They just do". Don't you?

Last edited:
No work necessary. In your universe you are nothing more than a lump of space debris. Nothing of any real significance. A freak accident. Of course I don't believe that true

F - Fail - must try harder

You take issue with the "reductionism" of physics, so I take it that your knowledge of the soul is based on some kind of "wholeistic" knowledge. But I'm still at a loss as to how you gained such knowledge. Understand that I don't mean you, specifically, but anybody.
The soul, if you choose to call it that, is the emptiness that perceives. You can observe every aspect of life--Objects, Body, Feelings, Mind--but you cannot observe that thing that is observing. That's what they mean when asking whether a knife can cut itself. It can't, nor can the the self observe its self. The Atman is the self, third eye, soul. It has no substance yet it exist for each of us--we all have it. It has no identity, it simply is, and it is universal. Everything you think you are is a ego wrapper around your true self, merely concepts of mind.

Does that help?

(continued...)

It was more your reference to the brain, with a vague suggestion of electricity correlating to memories/desire, etc, where things become meaningless. All you are doing is refining the point of location without any real ability to identify the processes involved beyond crude terms that do not deliver anything meaningful (meaningful in the sense of establishing life as some sort of materially reducible phenomena).
Sure, my description there was vague, but I could, in principle, go into a lot more detail about, say, how memories are formed. I could talk about brain plasticity and the specific chemical and biological processes involved in neurons making new connections, and on and and so forth.

I think you assume that, at some point, science will hit an inevitable wall beyond which life processes become a mystery that demands a "transcendent" explanation.

Consider how computer memories work. I imagine you'd agree that I could, in principle, provide you with a detailed description of exactly how this sentence is stored in the device on which you are reading this post, down to the level of individual electrons buzzing around in a silicon chip. Do you think that, apart from the obvious differences in the
"hardware" substrate, human memory is really that different? (Perhaps, it's worth noting here that we can build neural networks in silicon, too.)

Would you argue that a transcendent soul is needed in order for your computer to store its memory of the words that are on your screen? I'm sure you wouldn't. But, you'd argue, your computing device isn't "alive".

Is this all it comes down to - your belief that a mysterious, transcendent "spark of life" is required in biological systems? Is it your belief (I wanted to write "faith") that those biological systems will never be capable of being reduced to an equivalent silicon system?

As far as the mechanism of a spasmodically jerking arm goes, you don't even require that it be attached to a body.
Why do you think that forming an intention to raise my arm requires a fundamentally different mechanism to the one that results in a spasmodic jerking?

I would argue that progressing in an understanding occurs at the rate of properly formatted Qs and As. If you are advocating that life is an emergent property of matter as the basis for excluding a view that life itself has some independent agency, I would expect you would have better access to a thorough breakdown of parts and functions.
I'm not advocating that - yet!

On the other hand, if you're advocating that life has some independent agency behind it as the basis for excluding emergence as a possibility, I would expect you to have better access to a thorough breakdown of parts and functions. ;)

In my world, it is not rational to believe in certain claims being evidenced by epistemologies that have inherent limitations, or to misuse epistemologies so that they become compromised vehicles of knowledge.
I look forward to your description of the epistemologies you used to gain your knowledge about souls and God.

The fact that you included the word (yet) is evidence that you are misusing empirical epistemology.
Its entire strength and credibility lies in not writing post-dated cheques.
I freely concede that science does not currently have a full explanation of the "cause" of life (although I also reserve the right to say that the question is somewhat ill-posed when it is put in those terms).

At the same time, I think the weakness of your "transcendent" description is that it is more of a place holder for the unknown than an explanation. God of the Gaps: we don't know, therefore God.

Unless you know, of course - which again raises the question of how you know. (Jan Ardena scupulously and consistently ignores questions about how he knows anything that he claims to know about God. The closest he ever comes to addressing the issue is some hand-waving at "scriptures".)

.... and your equating "transcendent" with "beyond human understanding" and "the abandonment of reason" gives your game away.
I repeat: I look forward to reading your description of the epistemology that leads you to your understanding of the transcendent.

The problem is that you periodically hijack the authority of science, moving away from mere observation of the natural world, for the sake of foisting your beliefs ...
Do you feel like I've been "foisting" my beliefs on you? Can't we have a civilised discussion about our respective philosophical positions without claiming that we're each being bullied into submission by the other?

My main concern here, as should be abundantly clear by this point, is with your epistemology. You claim to have knowledge of the "transcendent". My question is: whence comes this knowledge?

What knowledge I have of the causes of consciousness comes from science, and the epistemology of empiricism that goes with that. I don't see how I am "hijacking" science to foist any particular position on you. You claim knowledge that I do not have. I ask you how you come to have that knowledge, which you say is not empirical knowledge. What method did you use to gain the knowledge?

What method did you use to gain the knowledge?
I'm curious, James, what is the core essence of a being. I believe consciousness to be a function of the brain, but it would have no significance without something there the experience consciousness. Agreed?

Bowser:

The soul, if you choose to call it that, is the emptiness that perceives.
Why is this "emptiness" you describe necessary? And how do you know it is there?

You can observe every aspect of life--Objects, Body, Feelings, Mind--but you cannot observe that thing that is observing.
This suggests to me that the "thing that is observing" is an illusion, which, stripped of the religious mumbo jumbo, is not inconsistent with the teachings of certain Eastern philosophies, as I understand them. To put it in Western terms, I would say that the "you" that you perceive is an illusion that your brain conjures up for you, to provide you with a coherent narrative for what your body is doing from moment to moment. Of course, most of what your body and brain are doing from moment to moment is inaccessible to your conscious awareness. I would say that your conscious awareness consists precisely of those features that are most useful to your brain in deciding how to react to the external environment.

The Atman is the self, third eye, soul. It has no substance yet it exist for each of us--we all have it. It has no identity, it simply is, and it is universal. Everything you think you are is a ego wrapper around your true self, merely concepts of mind.

Does that help?
Maybe. How do you know all this is true?

Bowser:

I'm curious, James, what is the core essence of a being. I believe consciousness to be a function of the brain, but it would have no significance without something there the experience consciousness. Agreed?
I don't see any need to take a dualistic view of consciousness. I'd say that the thing that experiences the consciousness is the same as the thing that houses the consciousness - namely, the brain. But then, I shouldn't have written that word "houses" there, should I? Because in my view, consciousness is (probably) nothing more than a function of the brain. In a nutshell, "you" are your brain, nothing more.

Caveat: I don't claim to know this is the case. It is a working hypothesis that has not been disproven (or proven). The attraction of this hypothesis is that it does not require the introduction of mysterious additional entities and unknowable processes.

Bowser:

Why is this "emptiness" you describe necessary? And how do you know it is there?
Because unlike every other experience, it can't be defined, so it is considered emptiness. It experiences all, and it is the one thing that never changes. Your body and mind will grow old and feeble, but the observer will still be there. It's consistent through time. Can you deny your first-person experience?

This suggests to me that the "thing that is observing" is an illusion, which, stripped of the religious mumbo jumbo, is not inconsistent with the teachings of certain Eastern philosophies, as I understand them. To put it in Western terms, I would say that the "you" that you perceive is an illusion that your brain conjures up for you, to provide you with a coherent narrative for what your body is doing from moment to moment. Of course, most of what your body and brain are doing from moment to moment is inaccessible to your conscious awareness. I would say that your conscious awareness consists precisely of those features that are most useful to your brain in deciding how to react to the external environment.
We start by identifying with the body, then mind, constructing an ego which is nothing more than self concepts. The only thing that has permanence, never changing, is awareness--the observer. There is also a term called spiritual fire, which means to burn away the ego, or the tree of mind. Yes, this is very much Eastern philosophy/religion

How do you know all this is true?
Because I am that thing experiencing. There's no way to miss it. I am.

Kudos to science. I love it, but I don't worship it.

Neither do I

That would be fun.

Indeed I am sure it would be so

Did you miss the part to earn this honour you should

Have you fullfilled this requirement?

No need. I have you pegged. Unless you're telling me you found God.

Really? Round or square peg?

The F for Fail stands

It can't, nor can the the self observe its self. The Atman is the self, third eye, soul. It has no substance yet it exist for each of us--we all have it. It has no identity, it simply is, and it is universal. Everything you think you are is a ego wrapper around

Very interesting. VERY INTERESTING

Let me see if I can unpack this and see what I can make of it

nor can the the self observe its self.

I take this to be the soul (which I likened to the little man in the brain which gathers up the essence of you to take to heaven) This discriptive only to provide a framework for discussion
You seem to be indicating that this little man (the essence of you) has no insight into its own existence

The Atman is the self, third eye, soul. It has no substance yet it exist for each of us--we all have it.

Ummm no substance, very much the stuff required to be considered real or exist BUT the soul has not this stuff yet it, according to yourself exist

May I ask how you know HOW you KNOW it exist and the detection method used

I bet it was the new Mark IV Coombs Pressley Reciprocating Ossuary Recombinant Analogue signal analyser or some such

Soooo you cannot observe yourself. OK not sold on it
How about other people? Can they observe your soul? You seem to be implying yes because you say we all have them

I believe consciousness to be a function of the brain, but it would have no significance without something there the experience consciousness

Simple words as has been explained - you have to be alive to experience concessness, although you do not need to be concess to be alive

Enough enough Coffee time

Bowser:

Because unlike every other experience, it can't be defined, so it is considered emptiness. It experiences all, and it is the one thing that never changes. Your body and mind will grow old and feeble, but the observer will still be there.
Are you sure?

I've known a number of people with Alzheimer's, for example, and it seems to me that in those people the "observer" went away right along with the mind. I could not discern the presence of any unchanging, unimpaired "observer" in those people.

It's consistent through time. Can you deny your first-person experience?
I don't see how anything about my first-person experience compels me to believe in any kind of transcendent soul.

We start by identifying with the body, then mind, constructing an ego which is nothing more than self concepts. The only thing that has permanence, never changing, is awareness--the observer.
Again, I see no reason to think that the "self" is anything other than the brain, fundamentally. The mind is a function of the brain, as far as I can tell. The brain controls the body. The ego is a way of referring to certain behaviours exhibited by brains. I see no evidence of any "never changing" awareness.

There is also a term called spiritual fire, which means to burn away the ego, or the tree of mind. Yes, this is very much Eastern philosophy/religion
I think there is some value and insight in this, but it needn't (and doesn't always) rely on religious trappings. I don't believe that "spirituality" in this sense requires a belief in the supernatural or in the existence of a transcendent soul.

Because I am that thing experiencing. There's no way to miss it. I am.
How do you know it's your transcendent soul that is observing, and not just your brain?

I mean, who would I talk to on SciForms if there were no "others"?
The others on sciforums are not fundamentally different from me. Sciforums is communication within a species, much like ants communicate within their species. We don't require any more woo-wonder at a "creator" than the ants do.

How so? If there is a purpose to life, might it simply be to just live. Does there need to be any grandiose meaning to it? Think of all the things in life that have no meaning, yet they exist anyways, and they are quite beautiful just being what they are.
But ... that doesn't rebut my assertion that the two statements are contradictory.

How can there be a place for God in a world where there is no "hidden meaning in life or existence. It simply IS."?

Back