chistians are hypocrites

okinrus said:
I'd group all of the pagan religions as some sort of sorcery.
but why leave xianity out, or is it reality to have floating sky daddys, ghosts and demons and talking snakes, zombies etc.
this one statement, makes you whole reply, complete rubbish.
even though it's has some good points, it's spoilt.

first off, if you read ANYTHING on this forum, you will see that i am not a christian.
second off, why are you so hostile toward folks that DO believe in a god?
third, deuteronomy is NOT part of christianity anymore. thats why they eat pork now. because christians disregard the old testament as "unnecessary" in the face of jesus' "sacrifice".

for being so well read, you dont seem to know the difference between christians and jews.
i have to go to work now. ill respond to your biblical justification when i get home.
till then, keep spreading the love! *shakes head*

who are you aiming your post at, please devil thank you.
you may not be a xian, but you believe god or g-d dont you.
I think you have the boot on the wrong foot , theres no anger on animosity to any religious person, apart from the ones, that are complete jerks, who cause the problem in the first place. it's a debating forum, this is going to happen. and religious books, are just that "books."
Deuteronomy:the fifth book of the OT is still very relevent to the xians, as the bible to them is infallible.
hence why they are hypocrites.

Last edited:
I'm just saying your statement might be going too far. Even if you wanted to say pagans were praising a false God in a ritual, I wouldn't call it sorcery unless they were trying to affect the material world somehow.
No one worships a god for whom they believe cannot affect the material or spiritual world.

I do know of christians who participate in magical rites, by giving money away for the purpose of receiving it back again multiplied. This magical rite is often encouraged by churches, although most churches warn against magic.
Giving money away with the expectation that it will return, though isn't magic(well, if it occurs it's supernatural), is non-charitable. Magic is the stage art performance. Magik, so they say, is conjuring up spirits or demons.

but why leave xianity out, or is it reality to have floating sky daddys, ghosts and demons and talking snakes, zombies etc.
this one statement, makes you whole reply, complete rubbish.
even though it's has some good points, it's spoilt.
I never said sorcery didn't give those who practice what they want. The argument given by CC is that Christian belief are hypocritical or somehow false, which, for what she believes, is shown by assuming a few Christian believes and showing how they contradict the Bible. But if were're going simply by the Bible, Deuteronomy says that all the pagan idols were no-gods, demons, in fact. A pagan could be worshiping demons without even knowing.

Why should my tax dollars, when I am guaranteed first ammendment rights, go to the funding of Christian education? Why should I allow my tax dollars to go to a system which tosses out science, squelches freedom of speech, and ignores almost 1.5 million years of human history in lieu of brain washing? If Christians want to give a shoddy education to their children, I'm all for it, but I'm sure as hell NOT going to pay for it. Just like I wouldn't DARE ask them to pay for a voucher for me to send my kid to an atheist school. And that's another funny thing, this IS about religious preference, because you don't see parochial schools like Waldorf (pagan) getting voucher funding, but Christian schools do.
Well, if some plan like this is adopted, your tax money wouldn't be go to religious books but to the same(or equivalent) books that public schools have, only the distributors would be a private organization.

okinrus said:
Deuteronomy says that all the pagan idols were no-gods, demons, in fact. A pagan could be worshiping demons without even knowing.
as could xians.
and to a xian, any religion other than xian, muslim, jew, is pagan.
including atheism, and we worship nothing.

Someone said "Deuteronomy"?

Deut. 25:11-12:
"If men get into a fight with one another, and the wife of one intervenes to rescue her husband from the grip of his opponent by reaching out and seizing his genitals, you shall cut off her hand; show no pity."

That verse cracks me up.

mis t highs......it originally was aimed at you....*reads backwards through the posts*

i am jewish, to answer your question. but i am not irrational.

cole grey:
1 By using what i have perceived from everything I have studied about the bible, and not taking one verse as the be-all-end-all (at which point I would have to throw it up against another be-all-end-all verse from some other place), I try to come to what I consider the "truths" of the bible are.

I did this as well when a Christian, and though it is normal, it is still up to personal interpretation, often defined by what is most convienant. Let's be honest here, that's typically where we are left. As I studied theology I learned that Secular Bible scholars developed a method, that I feel is most fair:
-The Bible will tell you when something is metaphorical. Jesus will announce it is a parable, John will say he speaks with symbols, Paul will say he had a vision, etc. If something is literal, often it is followed with a statement of affirmation from Yhwh, Jesus or the scribe. These signs are great precursors for checking whether one may even interpret a verse.
-Because the Bible is contradictory, and it warns that some of the scribes were false, we must look at not only the historacity of passages, but more importantly, check them for consistancy. For instance, Republicans will say wealth is a blessing due to Solomon's tale. But the Bible as a whole gives a resounding admonishment of the wealthy, hence they are opting for small obscure verses in lieu of those which condemn their behavior.

It is this arrogrance, this selective morality that angers me concerning Christians. And almost everyone of them engages in it by insisting that a verse is "out of context" or must be "interpreted in another way." I don't make statements about the Bible I have not researched. I'm not an uneducated layman, and I have no vested interest in blasting the Bible over the numerous other scriptures which equally peeve me. I would have no ammo if it wasn't existent in the Bible. I don't need the "Spirit to truly understand". I was a Christian for 20 years. After so many times of being told by people who know less than me regarding the topic I become aggravated. Just as I am sure a Scientist becomes aggravated when a Creationist with no education attempts to tell him he knows nothing of science. It's an insult, and it's arrogant, and it violates Christian command that the Bible is to be reasoned with others versus holding a personal end all opinion.

Many of these "truths", I think, are the ones you derive from your interpretations.

The "truths" I arrived at came via my education and following the consistancy, historacity and metaphore cues the Bible gives which were defined by Bible scholars.

I believe that the greatest commandments, as Jesus taught them were, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

I understand this, by why not equally believe the Jesus who said I came not to bring peace but a sword? Why not equally believe the Jesus who works the winepress of human souls, eternally torturing us? Why not equally believe the God that drowned the whole world, save 8? The Bible talks of hate, warfare, murder and destruction just as much, if not more than love. Isaiah 45 says: "I create peace, and I create evil, I the Lord do these things". Sums it up well, the Lord is the bringer of sorrow and love. And I believe it is Christian duty to accept this dual nature of your deity and be responsible in your choosing to worship it. It is Christian duty indeed to reflect this accoring to the Bible, so why are there so many Christians with the martyr complex talking only of Love? If love was TRULY the path of the religionist they would adopt no system of belief which included the harm of innocent creatures. I think anything less is paying mere lip service to love for the sake of retaining a clear conscience and getting eternal reward.

Then he supposedly said, " There is no commandment greater than these."
These commandments should be the beginning point for all interpretation of the "law". I assert that this is the "Christian" supreme court.
By the way, none of the ten commandments (which is what I think Jesus was talking about when he said he wasn't here to get rid of the law), oppose his two. Even 'thou shalt have no other Gods', does not require you to try to ensure that nobody else on earth have another God.

Ah, but the commandments DO break love. Ever look at how we are to punish people who do not adhere to them? I had a sermon about this as well at my old site, that we should post the commandments in their entirity and not just the base law, to show Christians just what an immoral God they worship.

Deuteronomy 17:3-5 "And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heavens, which I have not commanded. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing and shalt stone them with stones, till they die". Deuteronomy 14: 6-10, "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is of thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. Thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God. Exodus 22:20 "He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed".

So here we have belief by coercion, not very loving at all, and this is only the first of all the commandments, the punishments for ones like two (making no graven image, which is a pretty retarded commandment in my opinion, and the basis for why art was squelched during the dark ages) are equally harsh. I could go on and on posting the whole of the commandments, but I am sure you can read it for yourself. Needless to say, love by coercion is anything but true love.

I see verses in the bible which seem to say "follow the law", and I see others which seem to say "you don't have to follow the law".

BRAVO! At least you admitt this! Most do not.

I then come upon another verse telling me someone should be killed for adultery or whatever and assume that it is not my responsibility to kill them because I see this as contra-indicated by Jesus' second commandment, which I hold as "greater" than this one.

But Jesus also said that adultery is worthy of hell, and that is the problem. We have a deity which says love is the greatest, and then commands a whole host of things which are contradictory to love. So the Christian must accept this as problematic, and he must accept that it is contradictory. This is where atheists and Christians divide. Atheists will leave the faith saying they can not deal with the lack of consistency, that the Bible does not reflect what they believe is fit for worship in a deity. Christians hold on, whether by fear, desire for reward, tradition, etc. I know that's why I held on for so long. I thought surely if I hung in there long enough Jesus would give me faith and understanding. Unfortunately it never came. But as an atheist I did come to understand what Love truly means. As an atheist I came to understand consistancy, freedom, forgiveness and reverence, things that Christianity talked about but never truly manifested. I feel more "christ like" as an atheist than I ever did as a Christian. And I understand his plight perfectly when he argued with the pharissees. Because as an atheist, Christians are akin to the pharissees, they scream scripture, but often don't understand nor live it.

If I cannot pass the responibility for killing them on to someone else (like the adulterer's spouse, or the judaic court, or whoever), I will then assume that I am misunderstanding either the translation, the context, or something else, about the adultery thing.

But why is the fault with you? We're talking about a supposed omniscient being here. Who had nothing to do for an eternity but create a race of human beings then have our salvation hang on his laws. And we know these laws by this book he sent, yet not ONE living soul can make perfect sense of this book. What kind of deity does this? Robert Ingersoll (the best atheistic/agnostic writer in human history) said: "Either God should make a book to fit my brain, or he should have given me a brain to fit his book." Christianity has a history of belitting humanity. You are sinners, you are lowly, your very nature makes you detestable! You're so unworthy I need to murder my son/self just to look upon you! And you shall cover yourself, and you shall be ashamed, and there shall be animosity upon you, and you shall suffer, etc. Why????? He made us this way, he is damning us for what he created! It's as if I beat a child I gave birth to for being retarded or handicapped. What fault is it of the child? What does it say about my morality? "Oh but ya can't question God!"

Bullshit! Genesis says: "And ye shall be like Gods, knowing the difference between Good and Evil". And with this I say: God you are Evil! You are not fit for my worship! I shall not allow you to abuse me for what you made of me, I shall revolt against you in the name of Good with this knowledge! Call me a friggin Lucifer if you want to, but there is something DIRELY wrong with a religion that tells us how to hide our own excrement, how to cut off our sons' penis' and how to sell our daughters into sexual slavery and burn our children for sacrifice. And I stand here and say NO! Either there is no God, or this shoddy immoral book does NOT define God, in either event, Christianity is not my path. For this, my brethren is spat upon. It enrages me! Because with all this love talk, we understand, I'm willing to say, more than the people who profess it in the name of their very malevolent deity.

Or maybe I will just sit there confused. But I feel pretty safe in making the assumption that, unless Jesus specifically ordered me somehow to do it (at which point he would THEN contradict himself), that "I" am absolutely NOT commanded to kill them.

This is where we differ. When I follow consistency of scripture, I find I am to follow the law. Hence, I am commanded to kill.

Hopefully these steps are helpful in explaining why I don't feel the need to "judge" AUDIBLE, as this would be breaking Jesus' "second commandment".

Of course they make sense, I was there once. I was a Christian too, and trust me when I say: I do feel from you that you want to follow love, and you want to believe your deity is benevolent, and you are sincerely trying to hang onto your faith. I understand this whole heartedly. I simply think your view of love is currently stunted. And it shall continue to be a long as you worship an immoral deity.

okinrus:
What I meant by judgmental is this: all of us has personal moral code, be it Christian or another, but few of us fulfill everything our code tells us. We might try to, but we don't

Well then, Christians aren't trying hard enough, and they better ascribe to try harder before they feel fit to proselytize to people who don't believe their religion. And you certainly shouldn't try to debate me about Christianity when you can't even live the faith.

Tell me what Christian has managed to sell all that they own and give it to the poor for alms.

St. Franscis of Assi.

I said "contemporary" smart ass LOL But I give you points for trying, so here we go on why I don't accept. Though St Francis was certainly a better Christian in that he gave more of a try to be Christ like than others, he still had his failures. (I hate to rank on him here because he is attributed with liberation theology, and it's one of the only redeeming factors Christianity has left.) Yet the atheist in me has to observe that there is actually speculation Saint Francis never even existed! (As is the problem with most saints.) Everything we know of him comes from his supposed followers, and the story of his conversion is pretty outrageous. (Think paul and the road to calvary, visions etc. He did alot of killing too before the conversion. Saint Francis' birth is equally akined to Jesus, being born in a stable, etc.) Regardless of his existence, there are things written about him which are troubling. He is reknown for not respecting bodily integrity and preaching the idea of sado-masochism & self-mutilation to others. He actually asked for forgiveness regarding this prior to his death. He rabidly attacked the idea of females in the church, and though sexism is common place in Christianity, even Christ's apostle of the apostles was a woman. Hence, Assissi helped to further the degregation of women. Francis aided in the holy wars by playing missionary to the Muslims. And his worst crime? Saintly Francis actually helped the inquisition by reporting to the courts, towns in his native europe which were "practicing witchcraft".

The inquisition was the bloodiest time in human history, a relentless persecution of women and the occasional male land owner for the sake of gaining western europe's wealth, land and conversion under the guise of heresy. If you read inquisition reports you shall see the St Francis of Assissi order reported numerous times in giving leads to where officers of the court should bring their murderous hand. Why Francis even armed his friars with the "Malleus Maleficarum" Pope Innocent the third gave him. (For those of you don't know the Malleus Maleficarum is the dreaded witch's handbook that was the guide by which millions of innocent people were tortured and murdered.)

The Franciscans participated in the witch trials in an: initiating, supporting and facilitating function by gathering or manufacturing evidence such as for the Logroño witch tribunal (in Spain), for which they interrupted their preaching crusade to present a "dressed toad" and pots of "witches' salve" as evidence of witchcraft. They were deeply involved in spying out potential witches and reporting them to the authorities. The Franciscans were not beyond forcibly extracting false confessions such as done for instance by the monk Fray Juan de Ladron & Saint Francis of Assissi. Here's a little sample from a book I have: "Inquisition in Spain" by Henningson

"He took part in the witch-hunt in Alava in the capacity of one of the Inquisition's special emissaries. Three women were reported by him after the priest at Larrea, Martin Lopez de Lazarraga, had tied them by the hands and neck, assisted by de Ladron, who then threatened to take the women to the Logroño showcase witch-trial if they did not confess. They did confess but later told de Salazar what happened. Lazarraga had been appointed inquisitorial commissioner and put into the head of one of the women the idea of accusing six uncooperative local priests of witchcraft. At Logroño many people were tortured into admitting anything the monks told them to say. One of the women, Mariquita de Atauri, felt so terribly distressed after denouncing so many innocent people under torture that she drowned herself in the river near her house. The main culprit in extracting the confessions was identified as the Franciscan Fray de Ladron. The still existing records tell of many such cases where the Franciscans were instrumental in extracting confessions and reporting all to the witch-tribunals, complete with samples of witches' ointments and toads. Their involvement in the witch burnings can only be called revolting."

In conclusion, did Saint Francis of Assissi exist? Maybe, but if he did, history does not only have kind things to say about him.

ME: Jesus himself said you can not know him unless you give all that you have to the poor.

Okinrus: I disagree.

How you can disagree I do not know, considering it is right there in scripture!

Christians should give to the poor and needy, certainly. There's a time and place to give everything; there's a time not to. For example, if you gave thousands of dollars to a poor person on the street, how do you know that money will be well-spent on food and not drugs? You don't.

Cop Out! I don't ask a poor person what they are going to do with money I give them. I simply give. I have the excess, that excess can help to aid the existence of another, and hence I give. If I am suspect, then I can donate to a charity where I can be assured it is going to causes I find worthy. There are millions of them out there, so why is this country that is 80% still the wealthiest nation in the world? Why is the Catholic church the wealthiest organization in the world when a vow of poverty is mandatory? The answer is easy enough: greed! Like I said a million times before, people believe for personal reward, but when asked to show the veracity of their belief all of a sudden there is a million and one unchristian reasons to not put their money where there mouth is. I say if you are truly a believer, then prove it: give all you have away, wear a rag, roam the country side and tend to the marginalized. But don't ascribe to argue with me about Christianity when you don't even live what you preach.

True, but Judas, saying that the oil could be better spent, objected to Mary's gift.

Another good point point smart ass, but none the less: What did Jesus tell Judas? That the poor shall be there, but not him. The point is that Jesus had to be annointed, the point is that Jesus was going to die. Hence, the point is that the oil served a greater good in annointing the savior and was an act of love to a dying man. I think if you are dying person accepting a gift from a friend is quite different then allowing others to starve to death because you wish to maintain a quality of life and have longivity as far as the eye can see. How much is oil? How much is a four week hospital stay with the top health physicians in the world? Think about it. There is a huge difference here, and that's the point.

Protestants understand the importantance of good works, also. The debate really is on the origin of good works and how good works affects our faith

I beg to differ, protestants don't see good works as important to salvation, and hence they don't see a reason to committ them. You'll have the occasional that think good works are a natural derivitive of faith, but ther are such a rarity it's a shame.

No, a hypocrite involves a false image, yes, but is different than lying.

Hypocrisy is to do one thing and say another and yes, lying is not the same, but it is still dishonest, for you are give a false or dishonest image. The bottom line is deceitfulness, and both acts contain it.

For example, if I was give to the poor only to maintain some sort of goodstanding with other people, that would be hypocrisy. I, through my hypocrisy, never cared for the poor, and my deeds, while possibly beneficial, nevered merit a good work. Claiming to be a christian is not a good deed, however, and so cannot be hypocritical. Sure, it may be a lie, a half truth, but it's not hypocritical.

I disagree:
-when you proclaim to be a christian, you are proclaiming you follow Christ and the Bible.
-When you do not live out the commands of Christ and the bible, yet still maintain the title, you are giving people you profess to a FALSE image.
=That is hypocrisy.
You can play lexical defintions game all you want, but I'm not buying it, and I doubt any other atheist will. The logic of this statement is very clear and breaks no rules of fallacy.

Moreover, the definition of Christian depends on context also. Informally, I'll use Christian to mean "disciple of Christ," for which Jesus says any on who loves his neighbor as he loves himself, but my theological understanding of the word is different, there I require consent to basic Christian theology.

Great, well to bring up Judas again: He was a disciple of Christ, so is he a good Christian? Did he give a false image in betraying christ? Why yes, I believe he did! And modern Christians are just like little Judas' in my opinion. They sin and sin and ignore, take advantage of the savior's gift. They string up people left and right in the name of their salvation, no different the Judas sold out Jesus. Forgive me, but I'd rather be the honest doubting Thomas then the hypocrite Judas. At least Thomas has a shred of integrity and honesty.

To be a sin, crossdressing requires a sinful motive. That is, unless of course you consider crossdressing in of itself to be the sinful motive and sin.

I prefer consistancy, okham's razor: The bible is sexist, a great majority of it's laws concerning gender role is based on the degregation of women. It makes more sense that the passage concerning women not wearing pants has to do with not allowing women to rise up and present themselves as men then it has to do with cross dressing LOL

Oh, and concerning your definition of hypocrisy derived from the the Catholic Enclopedia, please know, such things with me won't work. The catholics claim Saint Brigid was a literal person and define her as such. They have interpolated to suit their own agenda for two thousand years. They define atheism as the belief that there is no god, when atheism is in actually a lack of belief. Trying to have me use a Catholic dictionary is like me forcing a satanic dictionary on you. Let's try to remain secular as often as possible for the sake of neutrality and common ground. (I assure you, even with the secular webster's you still have a higher ground than I, for he was a rabid Christian.)

The pledge is different from prayer though.

Not to the atheist. I resent having to pledge my allegiance to a God, country and flag. I'd sooner pledge to the earth, to my fellow creatures, to love, to charity, but never to a non existent god, or a government which on the whole tends not to the need of it's people.

I didn say the argument had no merit, but there's got to be some balance.

I think there is balance: You want Christianity in school, go to a parochial, and leave public secular. This provides opportunity without impeding on another's rights.

Now back to your child. I don't she's opposed to some kids singing praise God but to mocking. Rather than reneging on the other children's right, isn't it more reasonable for the children who mocked her to be punished.

She is opposed to singing about God. She doesn't believe in a God and doesn't think she should praise what she doesn't believe. But yes, the fundamental issue is the mocking, which arised from the teacher's actions. I don't like what these kids did, but they are kids. It wouldn't have even been an issue if it wasn't for the teacher. If the school has half a brain they will follow my not so kindly given advice that the teacher ought to be reminded of the first ammendment and the children told religious discrimantion will not be tolerated, and religion should not be a topic of discussion unless it is an educational manner concerning history/sociology, etc.

You could have a case here because having the children "praise the Lord" as part of the lesson-plan is having the school endorse a specific religious belief. But the line must be drawn between the individual and the organization.

I understand this, and that is why I am not informing the ACLU. I'm an advocate through and through, but my time is better spent on causes that bring a greater good. I won't bother persuing this because I think diplomacy can be achieved here. I'm not one to sue or cause a but load of troubles unless what occured is so autrocious that justice must be dealt. I have only sued someone once in my life. It involved a police officer who sexually assaulted me, hopefully, I will never have to tangle with the judicial system again, unless it is to lobby for legislation which I do often.

If a teacher is asked whether he or she believes in God, then the teacher could say yes, saying it was his or her personal belief.

Understandable, but a finer teacher would ommit an answer out of respect for the first ammendment. Even as a theology student I have professors which refuse to proclaim their faith in front of students. I teach part time, and I never reveal to my students what I believe unless they ask privately in a social interaction versus in the class room. I will not stupify students via my position of power. Students look up to teachers and professors as experts in their chosen field, as role models, etc. I would never damage the faith of my students by revealing that I do not believe in that which they are dedicating their lives to understanding. I have studied long enough that I know I am capable of crushing the faiths of others if I were to pound them with the overwhelming facts against Christianity. It is my duty to provide an environment of security, inquisitiveness, creativty and quest for knowledge in my class room. Bringing my personal thoughts into the matter would squelch that environment. Education is my goal, not proselytizing.

Schools sponser dances, football games, and tests., all of ostracize the participants and the non-participants.

Yes they do! Which is why educational institutions like waldorf work so well while our public and parochial schools often fail. Competition, though fun, cliques, though socially rewarding to the participants, can cause a great deal of psychological trauma to the losers and social outcasts. This is why I am against a competitive environment in education. Though I am a competitive spirit, love debate, etc. I still contend that nurturing our young is fundamentally more important than competition when it comes to the success of education.

Me: in fact, god demands the killing and also murders countless pregnant women and infants.

Okinrus: Well, that was because God wanted the Isreals to completely wipe out that tribe.

It wasn't a singular tribe, it was a whole host of people on the way to the holy land, in egypt, in babylon, the non believers, the heathens, etc. And again, murdering infants and pregnant mothers simply because God wants to doesn't necessarily make it moral. For the life of me, I don't understand how you can sweep away the atrocities your deity commits so easily. That is blind, unaccountable faith as far as I'm concerned.

ME: The majority of Christian tradition was pro-abortion

OKINRUS: Although St. Thomas and others adopted the Aristotle's view of the quickening, abortion is condemned by the Didache and the Tertuillian's writing.

But it was also considered just and moral by Saint Augustine. It was accepted law by Catholic doctrine untill 1588 when Pope Sixtus forbids it due to falling membership in papal lands. But in 1591 Pope Gregory XIV rescinds it. And it has been legal since, until the 1940's when the Catholics again started to lose their membership. Why, you can still purchase books prior to that time which talks about herbs catholic women can take to "induce the menses" So out of the 1700 years of Catholicism, only in 67 of them was abortion frowned upon, seems to me as if that is a pretty solid history of favoring abortion.

hmm, don't know whether Paul said that, or whether Paul is referring only to God's laws. There really ought to be no need for interpretation of any religious texts. As murder is wrong, so too should abortion.

Here's the verse: Romans 13:1 "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which god has established. The authorities that exist have been established by god. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what god has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves..." on and on it goes. Anyhow, I don't see how abortion is considered murder, and neither do the majorty of people.

Murder: The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

First off, a fetus, embryo, etc. does not have personhood. And we could never legislate that either because the red tape would be a nightmare. Not to mention we can not even pinpoint scientifically one momentous occasion in gestation over another. It opens a literal pandora's box which is why we elect birth as the legal requirement for personhood. Second, murder requires premeditated malice. How are we to prove that the mother who aborts has malice against her fetus? Women elect abortion often due to finances, abusive relationships, not enough emotional or physical resources, etc. This does not equate to malice.

I'm a rabid choicer honey, LMAO don't get me started.

I don't Jesus is described as the "King of division".

Why not? He claims to be!

But, from what I can tell, not only is Jesus telling the future--that there would be sufferring--but that he's not one of the false prophets told about in Jeremiah who say "peace, peace when there is no sin."

So you only focus on the Jesus who speaks of love then, not the Jesus who plans to torture the majority of the population for an eternity for the most petty of sins. This is what I mean by selective morality. I'm not berating you, I assure you, but this kind of attitude is what bothers me about Christians. That all the negativity is so easily swept aside so that the faith can continue. There is no accountability, no true love or righteousness, no true desire for compassion.

It seems reasonable for it to be true in the US, being most of the population is Christian. Elsewhere, I can't be so certain. I'd group all of the pagan religions as some sort of sorcery.

Why thanks for allowing me the point! I am curious as to why you consider paganism sorcery however. I see alot of Christians be speculative concerning the ritual of paganism, oddly however, they adopted and employ a great deal of it without even knowing. The concept of wearing white for purity, of blessing candles, of lighting them for prayer, of beaded rosaries, saints, etc. All these things have roots in pagan religions. The rituals of wicca certainly does seem elaborate, but when one realizes that the ritual is only a physical way of raising energy, that it's nothing but a physial manifestation of prayer, all of a sudden the "sorcery" of it isn't so mystical.

Are you a catholic?

audible said:
Christians are hypocrites

That's because these people who call themselves Christians are sinners, as is everyone. There is only one Jesus, and thank God for Him, considering. Christians aren't supposed to be Jesus...they're never going to turn into Him so stop looking for them to.

You are doing quite a bit of preaching yourself here, and I'm just sure that you are not a perfect man...I'm sure that you may be accused of being a hypocrit yourself. Hypocrisy doesn't come about by preaching though, but only by judging. Why judge others? Certainly you have enough to consider upon examining your own "morality".

I'm born again, and I know Jesus. I don't go to church because I've always been so turned off by the holier than thou judgmentalism that I think you're trying to address with this post. But I have to admit that I then sit in judgement of these "church people" which is wrong. And I have to realize that I am no better, just in a different way I guess. After all, I know I'll never be close to perfect in this life...I'm wretched. In knowing God, you become aware of how far off the mark you really are...it's amazing.

So I don't expect anyone to be perfect or anywhere close to it...but what pisses me off, and rightfully so, is when some "church people" claim to be born again and to know God when they do not. They've never sought a relationship with Him and wouldn't know Him if He slapped them across the face. And yet, they throw the terminology around, and through His name around in vain and witness falsely against Him. That pisses me off.

Love,

Lori

The Devil Inside second off, why are you so hostile toward folks that DO believe in a god?

I know this comment was not directed at me, but I feel compelled to observe: What some may see as unprompted hostility, is in fact neither. Atheists have a host of excellent reasons to do onto Christians as has been done onto them. Second, hostility towards a belief is not necessarily a personal attack on the believer.

deuteronomy is NOT part of christianity anymore. thats why they eat pork now. because christians disregard the old testament as "unnecessary" in the face of jesus' "sacrifice".

I don't know how many more times I have to say this: The bible tells us to follow the law just as much as, if not more than, it proclaims we are free of the law. Hence, when you say outright, that the law is not part of Christianity, you are being decietful and ignorant concerning what is found in scripture. Only one Christian in this thread has had the integrity to admit the contradiction thus far, too bad there are not more of Christians with such integrity on this board.

okinrus
But if were're going simply by the Bible, Deuteronomy says that all the pagan idols were no-gods, demons, in fact. A pagan could be worshiping demons without even knowing.

The bible is not that cut and dry on other Gods, especially in the torah and early prophetic writings. In fact, there was a council of deities, and that Yhwh was considered a higher up on the pantheon, being a regional God. The Jews did not become monotheistic people until after the exile. That is why in Genesis we have a pluralistic use of deities, and prophets who proclaimed to have consulted the council of deities. That is why we have depictions of God wrestling with other deities for power, such as with Tiamut, who was originally the great cosmic womb. Judaism arose from the polytheistic hinduism. This is why we have abraham & sara (father brahma and sarasvati) as the founders of the subsequent religions. We must remember that no religion came perfectly passed down from deity onto the people. That all religions share commonality, and arose from base beliefs which explains these commonalities. Monotheism was not born, it developed over thousands of years, and the Jews weren't the first to have it, the Egyptians were: with Amen Rah, which is why still affirm our prayer requests with "amen".

I know many Christians and maybe a handful of Jews will get angry with this, but it's the truth, all Biblical Scholars of the OT proclaim it, as well as those of the rabbianic tradition. I could write a literal novel on all the verses which back up this theological fact. But I shouldn't have to, plenty are available for those who truly want to understand religion, to read.

Lori_7
That's because these people who call themselves Christians are sinners, as is everyone. There is only one Jesus, and thank God for Him, considering. Christians aren't supposed to be Jesus...they're never going to turn into Him so stop looking for them to.

It's christian duty to be ascribe to be as Christ like as humanly possible. It's not atheists telling you to do this, it's your own God, so why should we stop pointing out that you all fail miserably in even attempting? After all, Christians don't cease telling my brethren on a daily basis we are ignorant, evil, and a whole host of other condescending titles.

You are doing quite a bit of preaching yourself here, and I'm just sure that you are not a perfect man...

I'm not perfect, nor am I a man. But I do certainly try more whole heartedly to take care of the marginalized and aid compassion then most Christians. Concerning preaching, I think there is a big difference concering debating on an open forum, versus shoving your religion unwelcomly down someone's throat. It's not atheists that run around with Bible or literature in hand, door to door, harassing the crap out of people to follow a religion they don't even give a shit enough about to try and follow.

I'm sure that you may be accused of being a hypocrit yourself.

Not when it comes to religion. As an atheist I have no code that tells me how I am supposed to act, while I deny it. Hence, I don't see how hypocrisy can even come close to touching me when it comes to theology.

Hypocrisy doesn't come about by preaching though, but only by judging. Why judge others? Certainly you have enough to consider upon examining your own "morality"

I don't believe in Judge not. I agree with judging. I'm a firm believer in the idea that some people need to have the brutal truth told to them so that they can become more constructive. As far as my morality, I assure you, it is quite well. I am so moral that I negate Christianity based on it's failings in compassion. (Though this isn't the only reason I negate Christianity, it certainly is a large one.)

I'm born again, and I know Jesus.

I'm a former Christian, now atheist, and a scholar of religion, and I equally know Jesus.

I don't go to church because I've always been so turned off by the holier than thou judgmentalism that I think you're trying to address with this post.

Bravo! This I will certainly say you understand. I do not believe that Jesus would be fond of what Christianity is today, and he would loathe the church. Hence, the Christian who does not attend church at least somewhat understands Christ's ministry.

But I have to admit that I then sit in judgement of these "church people" which is wrong. And I have to realize that I am no better, just in a different way I guess. After all, I know I'll never be close to perfect in this life...I'm wretched. In knowing God, you become aware of how far off the mark you really are...it's amazing.

We differ on this completely. I don't think that humans are mere pieces of sinful shit simply because some pathetic diety didn't have the foresight to create properly. I refuse to condescend my fellow beings for the mortal condition they can do nothing to allieve. And for the life of me I can not believe a benevolent being would curse us for being what he created. Or make us suffer for the sins of two nimrods 6,000 years ago. Such a being is worthy only of detest, nothing more.

So I don't expect anyone to be perfect or anywhere close to it...but what pisses me off, and rightfully so, is when some "church people" claim to be born again and to know God when they do not. They've never sought a relationship with Him and wouldn't know Him if He slapped them across the face. And yet, they throw the terminology around, and through His name around in vain and witness falsely against Him. That pisses me off.

And this is how I feel about Christians. They throw the terminology around, the proclaim and profess, but don't know a friggin thing when it really boils down. The have no idea concerning ancient Judaic and Roman history. They have no idea concerning interpolations, no idea what the scripture contains, or even the evolution of it. Yet they certainly feel fit to debate people who do, and cry they are under attack when met with a resounding rebuttle.

Critiquing Christ,

You can not "know" Jesus, and then deny His existence and His identity as God. That is not logical. Unless you were alive 2000 years ago, to know Him means that you have a spiritual relationship with Him, and interact with Him spiritually. I did not say that I've read about or studied Jesus, I said that I KNOW Him...I mean personally.

See, I'm not like you, in that, I could never ever claim to believe something just because it was written in a book, or because lots of other people in some organizations believed it. I had to know for sure...and therefore, had to know HIM.

Love,

Lori

Lori_7 said:
I could never ever claim to believe something just because it was written in a book, or because lots of other people in some organizations believed it. I had to know for sure...and therefore, had to know HIM.
I’m sure a lot of people felt the same about Athena.

Just because you feel something is true certainly does not make it true. Due to the billions of people who live and have lived and the millions of Gods (and other) they all KNEW/KNOW are true, makes me KNOW that it’s just a state of mind and there are no Gods and probably never was a Jesus.

As there are billions of beliefs and the mind is a tricky thing, maybe it’s not such a bad idea to take a look into these books and see what they say?

At the very least, the books that are a part of your religion.

You say you know HIM, well do you know the HIM that kills innocent children or the HIM that commands others to kill innocent children or just the HIM that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Because if it’s just the later and not the prior, the chances are it’s just in your mind because it feels nice to feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Hi CritiquingChrist,

Welcome and thanks for your rational input. God knows we need it! (oops) My question would be,why were you fooled for so long? (20 years)

Allcare.

"Amen!" Michael really does do a phenomenal job of wrapping it up. It is true that people everyday think they know something, when what they proclaim to know is false. And furthermore, he is right, what Lori proclaims to know is only half of the story, she's missing a massive other side to Christianity.

As far as Lori telling me I need faith to know Christ, it's simply ludicrous. I am just as capable of picking up a Bible and reading it. In fact, my standing as a scholar of religion, having a master's degree in comparative religions, only further testifies to the fact that I do know more about theology than the average believer. The idea that one who believes in Jesus some how knows him more than the expert in the field is ridiculous. But to say just that won't make sense to most Christians so let's expound upon it: Who knows more about santa? The child that believes in him, or the parent who signs the tag and places the gift under the tree?

It's the SAME concept. I know about Christianity because I have spent my life studying it. I know all about the early church fathers, the councils, the interpolations, the eschatological urgencies, all these things that make or break the "truth" about Jesus; where all the layman Christian has is his "faith". And they actually think that means they know him better than I? It's insulting, audacious and quite frankly: self defeating. I don't step to Sociology professors and tell them I know all about human relations because I am a parent. I don't step to Scientists and tell them I know all about the Super String theory because my body contains quarks. I don't step to a judge and tell him he doesn't know the law because he has never sat in jail. It's ridiculous! Limited experience in a perceived relationship with a mythological deity doesn't equate to a theology degree. And not being a Christian doesn't undue my ten year long excursion in the education field.

See, I'm not like you, in that, I could never ever claim to believe something just because it was written in a book, or because lots of other people in some organizations believed it. I had to know for sure...and therefore, had to know HIM.

No my dear, that's PERCISELY what you do. You believe in a God simply because the Bible says so. There is not ONE shred of empirical evidence outside of the Bible that supports the idea of a Jesus of Nazareth existing. EVERYTHING you believe is based on this ONE singular book. And any other mystical experiance you may have is ATTRIBUTED to Jesus because of this book. So don't give me this crap that you are better then me.

I'm not DUMB enough to believe something because it is in a book. You're right, that's how we are different. I'm not niave enough to turn myself over to a faith I don't research. I require PHYSICAL CONCRETE EMPIRICAL UNDENIABLE evidence before I ascribe to accept anything. And that is PERCISELY what science is. A collection of evidences gathered via study of the natural world. When I say I accept Evolution, it isn't because Darwin said it. It's because I can see the undeniable evidence RIGHT IN MY FACE. It's because at any time I can test the theory and see for myself that it is true. This is WHY Creationism, theology, divinity, etc. is NOT considered a science. There is no evidence for its favor. Your assumption that I believe things simply because some group of people tell me so is ludicrous. If I was so niave I'd be a Christian, like you. The difference between you and I is, I actually have the gumption to back up and research what the hell I claim is my conviction.

I think the lady doth protest too much...

Being so well versed in Christianity you would know the Bible isn't "one book", and that such simplification just doesn't do for the purposes of historical evaluation. And we don't believe it because it's in a book -- that's a recent emphasis after the West had all but deified literature after the printing press.

And when you say you accept evolution based on PHYSICAL CONCRETE EMPIRICAL UNDENIABLE evidence, you aren't saying much. You have to rely on recorded evidence for that conclusion, because it isn't right in your face. Without resorting to any book, please show us the evidence for evolution. (I agree that adaptation takes place, but I rely heavily on observations made by other people, and therefore 'books', so by your criteria this doesn't count).

You're not the only person on earth who ever studied religion and theology, and all scholars by no means agree with you so unanimously as you seem to imagine them to. You might have run into Hans Küng in all your studies, for instance.

Everything I know about God is based solely upon a personal relationship that I have with Him and nothing else. Don't tell me otherwise, as I would have to point out that I know my own self, my own life, and my own experience better than you. Oh, you who is assuming all of this about me. I know God. I have conversations with Him. He has taught me so many things that it would take a book to explain it all, and as I'm not talking about the Bible, but a personal testimony. Although the Bible does confirm all that He has taught me through my life experience...that's the only reason that I understand anything about the Bible.

I have seen Him do things in my life...to me, around me, with me, and through me that would make your head spin...it sure has mine...He has blown me away. I have a personal mountain of physical concrete empirical undeniable evidence and that is why and how I know what I know to be true.

You sure sound vehemently defensive. Are you going to be ok? I did not and would not ever say that I'm "better than you"...that sounds idiotic....like something a grade schooler would say. I'm not better than anyone. I'm just saying that I have a personal relationship with God Himself...as many do, and as anyone can. All you have to do is seek Him, and you will find Him. I'm just saying that you're not going to find Him hiding in a book, and you're not going to find Him using your intellect. He's a real spiritual being that you can interact with...all you have to do is want to know Him and let Him know that and there ya go. It's really quite simple. Well, then again, it's not so simple to sincerely want to know Him, as your attitude quite clearly demonstrates.

Good luck with that,

Lori

Well then, Christians aren't trying hard enough, and they better ascribe to try harder before they feel fit to proselytize to people who don't believe their religion. And you certainly shouldn't try to debate me about Christianity when you can't even live the faith.
Debating you is quite different than proselytizing.

Oh, and concerning your definition of hypocrisy derived from the the Catholic Enclopedia, please know, such things with me won't work.
The definition given there derives from St. Thomas' Summa theologica and is for my purposes standard. Someone who adopts your definition is unable to tell the difference between a liar and a hypocrite.

The catholics claim Saint Brigid was a literal person and define her as such.
She seems to be a literal person to me. The very old saints like her weren't declared saints by any official body.

They have interpolated to suit their own agenda for two thousand years. They define atheism as the belief that there is no god, when atheism is in actually a lack of belief.
Atheism, used by the Greeks, is the belief there is no God, I think. You can't really lack belief.

Trying to have me use a Catholic dictionary is like me forcing a satanic dictionary on you. Let's try to remain secular as often as possible for the sake of neutrality and common ground. (I assure you, even with the secular webster's you still have a higher ground than I, for he was a rabid Christian.)
Well, when your arguing what hypocrisy means(here at least) your arguing it in a theological sense. More importantly, when interpreting what Jesus said, you have to go back to what the word meant in Greek or Aramaic, not in English. What I'm telling you is that when Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites, he didn't mean a liar--these people had not spoken--but a someone who did good as for show. http://www.newadvent.org/summa/311102.htm

I said "contemporary" smart ass LOL But I give you points for trying, so here we go on why I don't accept.
Didn't even notice that. Well, shouldn't matter.

Though St Francis was certainly a better Christian in that he gave more of a try to be Christ like than others, he still had his failures. (I hate to rank on him here because he is attributed with liberation theology, and it's one of the only redeeming factors Christianity has left.) Yet the atheist in me has to observe that there is actually speculation Saint Francis never even existed! (As is the problem with most saints.) Everything we know of him comes from his supposed followers, and the story of his conversion is pretty outrageous.
The Pope recorded the day St. Francis was given permision to have his order. We also have some of St. Francis' own writings.

(Think paul and the road to calvary, visions etc. He did alot of killing too before the conversion.
He served in the military. I wouldn't know how much killing he did, though.

He rabidly attacked the idea of females in the church
As priestess, nuns, or laiety? There's quite a bit of evidence, in the Bible, tradition, and what a Priest signifies, to disallow women from becoming priest. Besides, St. Clare, a women, was a disciple of St. Francis.

and though sexism is common place in Christianity, even Christ's apostle of the apostles was a woman.
You mean Mary Magdalene? She's never given the title apostles of apostles, nor even apostle in the canonical Bible.

Francis aided in the holy wars by playing missionary to the Muslims.
I think rather the contrary. St. Francis asked to the Sultan, and attempted to share the gospel, but he didn't do anything to incite violence.

And his worst crime? Saintly Francis actually helped the inquisition by reporting to the courts, towns in his native europe which were "practicing witchcraft".
What document is this form?

The inquisition was the bloodiest time in human history, a relentless persecution of women and the occasional male land owner for the sake of gaining western europe's wealth, land and conversion under the guise of heresy.
Many accounts of the Inquisition relied on second-hand accounts. Modern research done by historians say it may not have been as bloody as was thought.
http://www.theworkofgod.org/Library/Apologtc/R_Haddad/Course/Book2A2.htm#THE INQUISITION

If you read inquisition reports you shall see the St Francis of Assissi order reported numerous times in giving leads to where officers of the court should bring their murderous hand. Why Francis even armed his friars with the "Malleus Maleficarum" Pope Innocent the third gave him. (For those of you don't know the Malleus Maleficarum is the dreaded witch's handbook that was the guide by which millions of innocent people were tortured and murdered.)
Cannot find an online source that can support these claims. St. Francis lived from 1182 to 1226, so you must be talking of the Albigensian Inquisition. But to determine an Albigensian heretic, the Inquisitor would likely ask questions theological in nature. Because the <a href="http://history.hanover.edu/texts/mm.html">Malleus Maleficarum</a> was completed in 1486, it couldn't have been used by the Franciscans, who are more of a charity, preaching, order than a inquisitor order.

The bible is not that cut and dry on other Gods, especially in the torah and early prophetic writings. In fact, there was a council of deities, and that Yhwh was considered a higher up on the pantheon, being a regional God. The Jews did not become monotheistic people until after the exile.
You mean El not Yahweh. Yahweh is the name of God given to Moses. There's little proof of this theory, because all the evidence is taken from the Bible. Abraham, while not worshiping other gods, may have believed they existed. The only recorded instance of monotheism is of the god Aten, who is similar to Ra, both being sun gods, but also different. Around this period of Egypt, the Exodus occurred. Scholars aren't certain whether there's enough historical evidence to say the Exodus occurred, much less to say whether it occurred before or after Atkenaton. Since one of the OT psalms bears a striking resemblance to one of Atkenaton's praise songs of Aten, the Exodus, to me, seems to have occurred before Atkenaton.

"He took part in the witch-hunt in Alava in the capacity of one of the Inquisition's special emissaries. Three women were reported by him after the priest at Larrea, Martin Lopez de Lazarraga, had tied them by the hands and neck, assisted by de Ladron, who then threatened to take the women to the Logroño showcase witch-trial if they did not confess. They did confess but later told de Salazar what happened. Lazarraga had been appointed inquisitorial commissioner and put into the head of one of the women the idea of accusing six uncooperative local priests of witchcraft. At Logroño many people were tortured into admitting anything the monks told them to say. One of the women, Mariquita de Atauri, felt so terribly distressed after denouncing so many innocent people under torture that she drowned herself in the river near her house. The main culprit in extracting the confessions was identified as the Franciscan Fray de Ladron. The still existing records tell of many such cases where the Franciscans were instrumental in extracting confessions and reporting all to the witch-tribunals, complete with samples of witches' ointments and toads. Their involvement in the witch burnings can only be called revolting."

Cop Out! I don't ask a poor person what they are going to do with money I give them. I simply give. I have the excess, that excess can help to aid the existence of another, and hence I give. If I am suspect, then I can donate to a charity where I can be assured it is going to causes I find worthy. There are millions of them out there, so why is this country that is 80% still the wealthiest nation in the world? Why is the Catholic church the wealthiest organization in the world when a vow of poverty is mandatory?
Okay, point taken. But know that money can only do so much. Even if the Pope sold all the gold of the Vatican and gave the money to the poor, he wouldn't have solve because hunger is caused by war and lack of organization. Basically, the world produces enough food to feed everyone, but the poorer countries don't have appropriate infrastructure or they fight; the food doesn't go to the people who need it. Moreover, this plan only solves for one generation. Eventually the wealth given to the poor would bubble up to the richer class, and were back to where we started.

Even as a theology student I have professors which refuse to proclaim their faith in front of students. I teach part time, and I never reveal to my students what I believe unless they ask privately in a social interaction versus in the class room.
In certain types of writing or speaking, a reader or listener would want to know the writer or speaker's stance, so as to know where the biases are. At other times, this type of thing would suggest some type of endorsement, in an otherwise unbiased speech.

But it was also considered just and moral by Saint Augustine.
Nope. Augustine, like most of that time, blindedly adopted the Aristotle's theory, said this: <blockquote>
Sometimes, indeed, this lustful cruelty, or if you please, cruel lust, resorts to such extravagant methods as to use poisonous drugs to secure barrenness; or else, if unsuccessful in this, to destroy the conceived seed by some means previous to birth, preferring that its offspring should rather perish than receive vitality; or if it was advancing to life within the womb, should be slain before it was born.</blockquote>
http://www.priestsforlife.org/magisterium/earlychurchfathers/augustine.html

So neither of these authors, their being no Biblical evidence, really put a binding stamp of authority on Aristotle's theory. Later, when scientific evidence shed light on the theory, the belief changed.

It was accepted law by Catholic doctrine untill 1588 when Pope Sixtus forbids it due to falling membership in papal lands.
Abortion was never allowed. The knowledge of precisely whether the soul was planted into the fetus--debated as it was--is different from allowing abortion.

But in 1591 Pope Gregory XIV rescinds it. And it has been legal since, until the 1940's
Abortion, in all its forms, wasn't legal during the 1940.

when the Catholics again started to lose their membership. Why, you can still purchase books prior to that time which talks about herbs catholic women can take to "induce the menses"
The one pamplet I know of, authored by Sanger, was banned by the US.

So out of the 1700 years of Catholicism, only in 67 of them was abortion frowned upon, seems to me as if that is a pretty solid history of favoring abortion.
No, abortion has consistently been wrong, even the English common law forbid abortion.

Here's the verse: Romans 13:1 "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which god has established. The authorities that exist have been established by god. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what god has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves..." on and on it goes. Anyhow, I don't see how abortion is considered murder, and neither do the majorty of people.
Paul, here, seems to be adapting Jesus' "give to Caesar what is Caesar and give to God what is God." Naturally, the emphasize is on "give to Caesar what is Ceasar's"--Paul says "This is why you also pay taxes, for the authorities are <em>ministers</em> of God, devoting themselves to this very thing." Obviously, any authority looses its authority when it tries to upsurp power it does not have, and so your so-called govermental-authorities are no longer an authority. They may say "go murder" and "go lie" but we have no obligation to follow these commands as this goverment is no longer an authority.

Yes they do! Which is why educational institutions like waldorf work so well while our public and parochial schools often fail.
I've never heard of Waldorf? They don't take tests or have competitions?

Competition, though fun, cliques, though socially rewarding to the participants, can cause a great deal of psychological trauma to the losers and social outcasts. This is why I am against a competitive environment in education. Though I am a competitive spirit, love debate, etc. I still contend that nurturing our young is fundamentally more important than competition when it comes to the success of education.
Agreed. But really depends on what the school is there for. If the school is there to turn us into shrewd businessmen--those few you aren't teased or oppressed--then it has succeeded. But for any type of learning, our schools are inadequate most of time.

First off, a fetus, embryo, etc. does not have personhood. And we could never legislate that either because the red tape would be a nightmare.
If murder was so-defined then abortion would be murder before Roe-versus-Wade and not murder after. Rather than a legal definition, I'm suggesting an universal one. Not much is required of red-tape. Before Roe-versus-Wade most of the states had banned abortion. To fully call abortion legal murder only requires giving the fetus the legal status of a baby.

Not to mention we can not even pinpoint scientifically one momentous occasion in gestation over another. It opens a literal pandora's box which is why we elect birth as the legal requirement for personhood.
Personhood is not well-defined. Are babies persons? Do they really have personality to the outside observer?

Second, murder requires premeditated malice. How are we to prove that the mother who aborts has malice against her fetus?
Again, that's a legal definition, but there's some type of malice in most of the cases. These women want the fetus not to exis when the fetus has the right to exist. It be like me killing Joe simply because I don't want Joe to exist. That said, there a lot of mitigating circumstances. The women, in her mind, believes the fetus does not have the right to exist, because the fetus is not up to her par of citizenship. But we have to draw the line somewhere. Hitler believed the Jews not up to his definition of human.

Women elect abortion often due to finances, abusive relationships, not enough emotional or physical resources, etc. This does not equate to malice.
Depends on how you look. A theif steals, not to harm the other person, but to have money. These are all really much mitigating circumstance, however. If a theif stole from a peasent, to cause the peasent to starve, then the gravity of the crime is greater. Same with abortion. If the women committed abortion to cause the fetus pain, then the crime is, to me, greater.

So you only focus on the Jesus who speaks of love then, not the Jesus who plans to torture the majority of the population for an eternity for the most petty of sins. This is what I mean by selective morality.
No, but I understand it like this. Steal from a few pennies and, then, for all your life and the hereafter, refuse to repent(even when God in his perfect light shines his light everywhere)you've committed a more serious sin than just stealing pennies.

The concept of wearing white for purity
This is cultural not religious.

of blessing candles
Catacombs.

beaded rosaries
Well, if you believe the tale, that they were given to St. Dominicus by the Virgin Mary...

All these things have roots in pagan religions. The rituals of wicca certainly does seem elaborate, but when one realizes that the ritual is only a physical way of raising energy, that it's nothing but a physial manifestation of prayer, all of a sudden the "sorcery" of it isn't so mystical.
Well, with wiccans, their seeking something not given to them by God but by something it else, be it their ritual, their gods, or their spirits, all of which suggest some degree of sorcery. Even if they believed only their ritual gave them this power-- no other factors involved--I'd still say they have degree of witchcraft: their doing rituals to have a supernatural affect. While not convincing proof of the supernatural, their rituals to increase their energy, when they'd naturally decrease energy, are attempting to influence the supernatural without God, and, moreover, attempting to attribute supernatural powers to otherwse physical things, the sequence of a ritual may be abstracted as something physical. This problem is avoided in Judaism and other religions because the physical activity or ritual, whether prayer or sacrifice, is always secondary to God. In other words, God gives the sacrifice or prayer power, not the sacrifice or prayer.

Back