"Book of Mormon" plagiarism?

Trilairian said:
All religions carry a negative connotation. You are religios. Thats not a compliment. You are a cult. That is equivalent.

Yes, but you said you are using the word "cult" only to mean "a religious system of worship." I'm pointing out the fact that the word "cult" usually means a dangerous ego-sect like that of the Branch Davidians or Heaven's Gate, or Jim Jones in Guyana. You would have people believing that Mormons are ready to drink poisoned cool-aid or cut off their genitalia so they can meet up with aliens from the mothership.

There simply is no definition of the word "cult" that is not subjective and negative. It means, "A religion I don't like." Period. Otherwise you are just saying, "Your religion is a religion!" Which doesn't really tell us much.

Trilairian said:
Right, he copied those sections, not translated them, and the rest came from his imagination.
Marlin said:
No it didn't.
So you are saying that he did translate it and got those sections exactly the same as KJV and when he then translated sections of the KJV they came out different. lol
Yes he did.
Changing the sections of the bible for the JST that he had included in the book of Mormon was a blunder.

Trilairian said:
So you are saying that he did translate it and got those sections exactly the same as KJV and when he then translated sections of the KJV they came out different. lol
Yes he did.
Changing the sections of the bible for the JST that he had included in the book of Mormon was a blunder.

Trilairian, do you have a cite for that? I'm curious to see a specific example of what you're talking about. An unbiased web site, perhaps?

Cult, (n): 1. Worship; reverential homage rendered to a divine being or beings. 2. a. A particular form or system of religious worship; esp. in reference to its external rites and ceremonies. b. Now freq. used attrib. by writers on cultic ritual and the archæology of primitive cults. -Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed. 1989.

But even if you accept this secondary definition from the OED: "Designating cultural phenomena with a strong, often enduring appeal to a relatively small audience; (also) designating this appeal or audience, or any resultant success; fringe, non-mainstream," Mormonism is a cult.

I think the bolded points are easily descriptive of Mormonism. The problem is this, however, believers in the supernatural like to be able to justify their own superstitions while reserving the right to ridicule those of others. Thus the term "cult" has been used by mainstream religious establishments (like Catholicism and Protestantism) to refer to those beliefs which are counter to their own, and thus untrue. As if their own beliefs are any less superstitious or fucked up.

Anyone who worships some invisble, supernatural being with any organized fashion, belongs to a cult. I don't care how large it is, you're all twisted to believe that superstitious nonsense.

SkinWalker said:
Anyone who worships some invisble, supernatural being with any organized fashion, belongs to a cult. I don't care how large it is, you're all twisted to believe that superstitious nonsense.

As long as people know the way you are defining the word "cult" to encompass all "religious systems that you don't like," not just the Mormons. We LDS people get the "Mormons are a cult!" shoved in our faces all the time, and we don't really appreciate it. The word, however it may be defined respectably in the dictionary, still conjures up images from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom instead of "non-mainstream" religion.

And the people who use the word "cult" against the Mormons usually know EXACTLY what image they are giving to the LDS Church. They want people to believe the worst of us.

Marlin said:
Trilairian, do you have a cite for that? I'm curious to see a specific example of what you're talking about. An unbiased web site, perhaps?
I was speaking from having actually compared the texts, but since you asked I was googling for a site and found the answer to my question why you don't use the JST instead of the KJV. It is because you lost a court case over the ownership to the rights againsts the Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints. You'd have to buy the book from them, so your church uses a KJV with JST footnotes instead.
I did find a site in googling that gives an example of "the lords prayer" where the BOM is closest to the KJV, and both differ from the JST.
http://loopyturtle.tripod.com/evidence2.html
Book of Mormon:
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
12 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
13 For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

Bible (Joseph Smith translation)
9 Therefore after this manner shall ye pray, saying,
10 Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
11 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is done in heaven.
12 Give us this day, our daily bread.
13 And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
14 And suffer us not to be led into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
15 For thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Bible (KJV)
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Trilairian, all that that proves is that Jesus is the same on the American continent as He is in the Holy Land. Of course He is going to tell people the same message. Different audience, same needs, same speech basically. A motivational speaker who travels from city to city in modern times usually gives the same speech, no matter whether he is in Omaha or Los Angeles or New York. There may be minor variations, but the speech remains the same from city to city.

Marlin said:
Trilairian, all that that proves is that Jesus is the same on the American continent as He is in the Holy Land. Of course He is going to tell people the same message. Different audience, same needs, same speech basically. A motivational speaker who travels from city to city in modern times usually gives the same speech, no matter whether he is in Omaha or Los Angeles or New York. There may be minor variations, but the speech remains the same from city to city.
But it was a different message. It proves no such thing.
Look at the "translations" yourself. That was merely one example.

Trilairian, here you go:

Why Don't the Book of Mormon and the JST correct the KJV?

If Joseph Smith claimed that either the Book of Mormon or the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible (JST) were perfect and free from all error, then errors in the King James text that are perpetuated in the new scriptures as well might case doubt on the prophet's work. However, Joseph Smith never made this claim. Instead, the Prophet held the view that the new scriptures corrected some of the mistakes in the original Biblical texts. Furthermore, he specifically stated that he did not correct everything that he could have corrected in the translation process.

South Park's Mormon take was priceless. If you ever get a chance to see it you will chuckle for hours, not at the religion but at ourselves. Joe Smith was a genius and we need more like him. Even though he nearly slipped up he manged to cover his tracks. Managing a split from mainstream Christianity with nothing more than the gift of gab, a couple of props, a good story and voila, Utah. He paved the way for guys like the Reverend Ike and P.T. Barnum for instance. Its Americana. Why fight mainstream religion, just make it suit your needs, and all that without being a King.

The power of persuasion, the evangelist, the used car salesman, the snake oil salesman.... beautiful.

Trilairian, the issues you raise are only of passing academic interest to me, as I know already within my heart and soul that Mormonism is true. I know this in a way that cannot be denied, with every fiber of my being. Moroni's Promise is what I recommend for you and for anyone who really wants to know the truth.

SkinWalker said:
I also think that the Mormo cult is a "cultural phenomena with a strong, often enduring appeal to a relatively small audience," one that is both fringe and non-mainstream. One that is not only wierd and twisted, but potentially dangerous as well:

http://www.rickross.com/reference/polygamy/polygamy277.html

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/6588-Polygamist_church_purportedly_building_compound_in_Texas.html

http://children.safepassagefoundation.org/archives/2000/04/

Those references are not to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but rather to fundamentalist apostate Mormons. You're trying to scare people with cites that aren't even relevant to the mainstream LDS Church, which not only doesn't practice polygamy anymore, but excommunicates all polygamists. We are a perfectly respectable religious group.

Marlin said:
Trilairian, the issues you raise are only of passing academic interest to me, as I know already within my heart and soul that Mormonism is true. I know this in a way that cannot be denied, with every fiber of my being. Moroni's Promise is what I recommend for you and for anyone who really wants to know the truth.
The problem is that you don't really know anything in your heart and sole. You know things in your mind and are dilutioned into taking emotions as an authority on reality over the weight of evidence as percieved by your intelect.

Soul, deluded, perceived, intellect. Learn some spelling skills, man!

I use both my intellect and my feelings in determining what is true and what isn't. I find Mormonism to be the most logical, intellectually satisfying religion I've ever come across. If you stop reading the anti-Mormon websites and materials and listen to what the Mormons actually believe, you will find such a logical structure to it as to eliminate all false doctrines to the contrary.

Call it a cult, call it religion, call it fact, call it fiction. It's great some people have such deep-seated convictions concerning the LDS church, however none of them affect the organization in any least possible way. And it will continue to prosper and be the largest and fastest growing church through converts.

We expect persecution, go on heap it upon us. As long as you are sure of what you say, you shouldn't have any reason to relent, right? Fight it, gather yourselves, mock, spit and scoff at it.

But be weary of the Judgements of God in your actions and persecutions--

"lest he shall come out in justice against you—lest a remnant of the seed of Jacob shall go forth among you as a lion, and tear you in pieces, and there is none to deliver." (Mormon 5:24)

Back