Bear with jar stuck on its head killed in MN

c) because when a black bear attacks you, it's hungry and looking to eat you. Brown bears are most likely doing it to defend cubs or because they're spooked

You got that backwards hammer hea....

Question:
Why do the experts tell you to fight back against an attacking black bear, and curl up vs. a grizzly?

Is it
a) an arbitrary decision
b) voodoo
c) because when a black bear attacks you, it's hungry and looking to eat you. Brown bears are most likely doing it to defend cubs or because they're spooked
d) some ineffable reason
e) otter and/or duck

Are you trolling ?

It's because the bear then no longer sees you as a thread. Bears attack humans out of fear and surprise mostly, not hunger.

I'd assume the DNR would follow the bear ?
How is it that shooting tranquilizer darts was too dangerous while shooting bullets wasn't ?

darts are different than bullets. The guns are different. You have to be trained to use those specific kinds of guns, which cops aren't. One dept doesn't just loan out their guns to another dept, specifically to another dept that isn't trained to use them.
There isn't a DNR dept in every town in America. There isn't a DNR in every county for that matter. The bear was out in the woods where they couldn't find it. How many people did you want out scouting for this bear? Did you want them to be unarmed so they wouldn't hurt it if they came upon it? Should everyone go through a crash course in tranquilizer darts and be outfitted with the appropriate weapon?

What would be your perfect solution to a hungry scared bear walking through town?

darts are different than bullets. The guns are different. You have to be trained to use those specific kinds of guns, which cops aren't. One dept doesn't just loan out their guns to another dept, specifically to another dept that isn't trained to use them.
There isn't a DNR dept in every town in America. There isn't a DNR in every county for that matter.
Well, they should have when they are just dumping their garbage on the edge of town when there are bears around.

The bear was out in the woods where they couldn't find it.
Why were they wanting to shoot it if it was out in the woods ?
Did they flush it out into the town ?

How many people did you want out scouting for this bear?
Uhm.. I thought the bear was such a huge threat.. seems to me they should have done anything to get it before it got into town. So.. as many as possible.

Did you want them to be unarmed so they wouldn't hurt it if they came upon it?
No, teams of two or three spreading out through the woods would make sense.. one or two of them carrying a tranq gun, the rest regular guns just in case.
Since it's their job I can expect them to know what strategy to follow while not getting hurt.

Should everyone go through a crash course in tranquilizer darts and be outfitted with the appropriate weapon?
Since you Americans are such gun loving people, why not. Keep the tranq guns stashed away at the police station and have a number of pre-selected citizens to call upon when the need arises.
Or just train the police to use them in bear country.

What would be your perfect solution to a hungry scared bear walking through town?
See above.

By the way, the attitude displayed here should tell you enough:
How many bears were killed by humans in the same period ?
Who cares?

http://www.startribune.com/local/26095434.html?location_refer=Homepage:highlightModules:7

I don't get it. First it says the bear wandered into town, then it says they couldn't shoot it with a tranquilizer because it was in a wooded area???:shrug:

This is so unbelievable

They could shot it with a bullet, but not a tranquilizer???

WTF. I'm so disgusted right now

Skaught, it is much harder to shoot a bear with a tranquilizer than a bullet. A tranquilizer requires bear not to move and stay steady as well as be very close.

Close and still enough ? It was for the photographer.. :shrug:

Bear+in+Jar.jpg

To take a photograph of a moving target nowdays with amazing technology that takes pictures in 1/1000's of a second is muuuuuch easier than to use a tranquilizer gun.

Well, they should have when they are just dumping their garbage on the edge of town when there are bears around.

Where should the dump be? Should they have it hauled to another community?

Why were they wanting to shoot it if it was out in the woods ?
Did they flush it out into the town ?

It was seen in the woods and the DNR was called in to tranq it. They couldn't find it.

Uhm.. I thought the bear was such a huge threat.. seems to me they should have done anything to get it before it got into town. So.. as many as possible.

As possible could have been only a 5 man DNR team.

No, teams of two or three spreading out through the woods would make sense.. one or two of them carrying a tranq gun, the rest regular guns just in case.
Since it's their job I can expect them to know what strategy to follow while not getting hurt.

The only people's job it is is the DNR. Not every person in the DNR is trained in bears on tranq guns. Some are fish biologists. Why would they need tranq training? Its like expecting every person int eh police dept to have bomb disposal, SWAT, or hostage negotiation training.

Since you Americans are such gun loving people, why not. Keep the tranq guns stashed away at the police station and have a number of pre-selected citizens to call upon when the need arises.
Or just train the police to use them in bear country.

I never expected to see you stereotype the way bigots do. I expected more from you. :rolleyes: We also love our children more than a bear, which is why it got shot when it came into town. I am sure they would have rather had the DNR save it, which is why they were called the first time instead of simply being shot.

See above.

By the way, the attitude displayed here should tell you enough:

And what Roman said is how you feel about people. If the question had been "how many people had been killed by bears, your first though would be "who cares, they are in the bears environment"

Added to that, the bear needs to be located on level ground with the projectile of the tranquilizer gun.

Enmos, I do feel sorry for the bear, but in this case I see that the bear acted exstaticly and dangerous to the human population. Should they have killed the bear? No. But since they could not use a tranq. gun they should have tried to scare it off back to the wood area.

Added to that, the bear needs to be located on level ground with the projectile of the tranquilizer gun.
Nonsense.

Enmos, I do feel sorry for the bear, but in this case I see that the bear acted exstaticly and dangerous to the human population. Should they have killed the bear? No. But since they could not use a tranq. gun they should have tried to scare it off back to the wood area.
They scared it off into the village..

Look at the picture..

Its just a motion-free camera which gets rid of motion blurrines. Thats all it is, for all we know he could have been moving violently and constantly trying to get rid of the plastic canister.

And what Roman said is how you feel about people. If the question had been "how many people had been killed by bears, your first though would be "who cares, they are in the bears environment"

Oh really.. you should pay more attention. And besides, if I would have said that, I at least had a better point then Roman.

And I'd expect people in bear country to make sure the bears can't get to their garbage yes.
I also expect them to have a police team or whatever that is specialized in tranq darting bears.
The whole situation is just dumb.

Its just a motion-free camera which gets rid of motion blurrines. Thats all it is, for all we know he could have been moving violently and constantly trying to get rid of the plastic canister.

It is standing still.

It is standing still.

it is not standing still! The camera is digital it got rid of all the motion blurriness associated with the picture.

Excuse me, but would you stand still with a jar on your head and lots of animals running at you?

Back