Atheism=Theism?

I live my life with the hope that the God I have chosen ...

But what good reason informs your choice of gods?

No evidence is available to discount Him, so rationalism is feeding my theism, especially because I see every occurance as an act of God.

If that were a rational line of thinking, there are many things you should, therefore, believe in since there aren't evidences to discount them. There is no evidence to discount the invisible dragon I could, hypothetically, claim exists in my garage. Yet, I wouldn't expect you to believe in it.

For those that make the weak and feable attempt to claim that the existence of the universe/life/etc is evidence, this is an argument from ignorance.

Not can one not say a god did it, they cannot say which god. Supposing a god did do it, it still doesn't suggest any good reason for accepting the christian god, which is what most theists in this forum do.

In that sense, I, as an atheist, have the better chance of appeasing any creator-god since I'm not pretending I know who or what he is. Surely such a creator-god would favor those that are open-minded (atheists such as myself) over those who are closed minded (theists who are certain they know who/what their god is).

Mod Note: discussion of abiogenesis is off-topic and will be split to a new thread. If you want to continue that line of discussion, feel free, but please don't be offended when I give it its own thread. Such a discussion is deserving of its own.

So if you're a liberal you must be for abortion and if you're conservative, you must be against gays?

Precisely why I do not compartmentalize myself into a political affiliation and do support abolishing the two cabal system that runs this country.

No.
Why would it be? :bugeye:

If anything, it would be a desire to NOT be compartmentalized by NOT joining a group.

How many people who do not want to join a group identify themselves as a not-joiner? The group could identify people who are not part of it. But its only atheists who feel compelled to proselytise their non-groupiness.

Exactly. Now do you go around telling people not to play badminton?

Nope.
When asked, however, I do tell them that I think it is a silly sport and I do not enjoy it and it is not for me.
I will tell them to go ahead and enjoy themselves, but I'll not play.

However, if they keep trying to coerce me to join their league, and keep harping on me about the benefits of it, and if they say that I will suffer for eternity should I not play, I will either disassocite myself with them or try my best to explain to them why I not only do not enjoy the sport, but why it is silly to beleive that I will suffer for eternity if I do not play.

And if Badminton takes off to the point that non Badminton players are oppressed and children are taught that they are evil and the dominant hegemony screams about how derranged and deluded these twisted non Badminton players are, I will certainly have something to say about it, and I will stand up and loudly declare that I do not play and explain why I do not play and why I will not suffer for eternity if I choose not to play, so that others will see that they are not alone.
But I will still not tell people they should not play, nor will I join any non Badminton players club, while I could very clearly see why some would want to do such a thing.

Last edited:
But what good reason informs your choice of gods?

What good reason informs your choice of favorite color?

If that were a rational line of thinking, there are many things you should, therefore, believe in since there aren't evidences to discount them. There is no evidence to discount the invisible dragon I could, hypothetically, claim exists in my garage. Yet, I wouldn't expect you to believe in it.

For those that make the weak and feable attempt to claim that the existence of the universe/life/etc is evidence, this is an argument from ignorance.

Not can one not say a god did it, they cannot say which god. Supposing a god did do it, it still doesn't suggest any good reason for accepting the christian god, which is what most theists in this forum do.

In that sense, I, as an atheist, have the better chance of appeasing any creator-god since I'm not pretending I know who or what he is. Surely such a creator-god would favor those that are open-minded (atheists such as myself) over those who are closed minded (theists who are certain they know who/what their god is).

Bold statement:Thus you know the mind of all potential gods?

How is your dragon, anyway? I hear they are a pain to feed.

Nope.
When asked, however, I do tell them that I think it is a silly sport and I do not enjoy it and it is not for me.
I will tell them to go ahead and enjoy themselves, but I'll not play.

However, if they keep trying to coerce me to join their league, and keep harping on me about the benefits of it, and if they say that I will suffer for eternity should I not play, I will either disassocite myself with them or try my best to explain to them why I not only do not enjoy the sport, but why it is silly to beleive that I will suffer for eternity if I do not play.

And if Badminton takes off to the point that non Badminton players are oppressed and children are taught that they are evil and the dominant hegemony screams about how derranged and deluded these twisted non Badminton players are, I will certainly have something to say about it, and I will stand up and loudly declare that I do not play and explain why I do not play and why I will suffer for eternity if I choose not to play, so that others will see that they are not alone.
But I will still not tell people they should not play, nor will I join any non Badminton players club, while I could very clearly see why some would want to do such a thing.

You could of course, stop going to their club.

What does ANY of this have to do with me being a member of their club?

"And if Badminton takes off to the point that non Badminton players are oppressed and children are taught that they are evil and the dominant hegemony screams about how derranged and deluded these twisted non Badminton players are, I will certainly have something to say about it, and I will stand up and loudly declare that I do not play and explain why I do not play and why I will not suffer for eternity if I choose not to play, so that others will see that they are not alone."

This would clearly pervade every aspect of society.

So I as a Badminton player and member of the club should ignore those who stand outside the club chanting that badminton is evil?

side note: badminton IS evil.

That may be a valid point if, in fact, I was a member of their club, which I am not.

I mean, you could stop going to their club, you don't have to always be a member to go to a club, you could simply be a guest. Or if you hold such strong opinions on badminton, you could open your own club where you did not allow badminton players. Would they be within their rights to have their own club rules and not permit non players who had anti-badminton opinions?

I mean, you could stop going to their club, you don't have to always be a member to go to a club, you could simply be a guest. Or if you hold such strong opinions on badminton, you could open your own club where you did not allow badminton players. Would they be within their rights to have their own club rules and not permit non players who had anti-badminton opinions?

It seems you are completely missing the point.

So I as a Badminton player and member of the club should ignore those who stand outside the club chanting that badminton is evil?

side note: badminton IS evil.

Of course, you built teh club, you should even be able to kick out those who oppose its rules.

No.
Why would it be? :bugeye:

If anything, it would be a desire to NOT be compartmentalized by NOT joining a group.

quite a bit of wishful thinking if you believe that you are not in a club. a loose knit club but a club nonetheless.

unless you are an agnostic.

It seems you are completely missing the point.

No, you are. If atheists could ever build a lasting society, perhaps their ignorance might be worth as more than a point of view. As it is, all they do is bitch and moan. Why should any religious person allow them in their society? What gives them any "rights"?

I know this may be a side note, but if you disliked badminton, would you go to a badminton subforum of a board you otherwise enjoyed?

Back