Atheism:believe in no God or disbelieve in God

Actually atheism is a godless belief atheos = godless -ism = doctrine

Or the doctrine of a godless universe.
actually youre wrong as always,trying to redefine atheism into something it aint.

its not a doctrine at all,

I think its possible for some kind of god to exist,such as Deistic one,or even spiritual something...
but I dont believe in it and dont worship it,..thats why Im atheist.

Considering that theism is a faith based position and theists often have their own interpretations of scripture, God or gods and even theism itself, what would an atheist consider robust evidentiary support for the postulate of God?
there was a thread on evidence for god done many times already I suggest you look it up!

I'm sorry, you make no sense grammatically or logically.
HaaaaHaaaaHaaaaahahahahaaaaa!

Yes lacking a beleif in a Xenu doen't make sense! AAAhhhhh HAAaaaa Haaaa!

This reminds me so much of those long debates were SAM couldn't "understand" /you make no sense/ that the possibility of her religious beleif being wrong could exist. The whole notion just doesn't make sense... I dunno Michael just dunnit maken any cents.

The definitions are there to promote logical debate. Something Webster was not and not SAM is not at all interested in doing.

What was SAM's state of mind in regards to Xenu before she heard of Scientology? Did she believe in or lack a belief in Xenu? Answer: She lacked a belief in Xenu. She was atheist.

What was SAM's state of mind in regards to Allah before she was taught to beleif in It? Did she believe in or lack a belief in Allah? Answer: She lacked a belief in Allah. She was atheist.

Makes perfectly crystal clear sense.

Any overwhelmingly non-random cosmological-scale signature.

Something in the distribution of galaxies.

Something in the structure of the CMB.

Like that, you know?

Thats the first interesting answer in this thread.

What would be a cosmological scale signature you would recognise as an indication of God ? Do you believe that God would be "natural"?

Whats CMB?

Thats the first interesting answer in this thread.

What would be a cosmological scale signature you would recognise as an indication of God ? Do you believe that God would be "natural"?

Whats CMB?

1) CMB = Cosmic Microwave Background

2) If god were "natural" (whatever that might imply...) then how would you even tell if it was god and not a "natural" process.

3) We understand the univers to be ruled largely by randomness. Local deviations from randomness follow well known physical laws. Something highly non-random or structured in a way that clearly indicated design would be interesting to say the least.

CMB:
wmap_cmb_500.jpg

Galaxy distribution:
410153aa.2.jpg

We understand the univers to be ruled largely by randomness. Local deviations from randomness follow well known physical laws. Something highly non-random or structured in a way that clearly indicated design would be interesting to say the least.

How do you explain the fact that local deviations from randomness follow well known laws?

How do you explain the fact that local deviations from randomness follow well known laws?

The ultimate "why" of physical law? I have no idea. This is metaphysics and fun to speculate about, but not grounds for adopting belief in a god entity. If you insist on a god, then this always begs the question "why god?". You're just substituting one unknown with another, apparently more comfortable one.

So, the presence of a nonrandom event in an apparently random universe is not really sufficient evidence for you then, is it?

You never responded to [post=1821939]my answer[/post].
Just not interesting enough, I guess. :(

Hehe, I missed it.

Examples of evidence that would support the notion that God exists would be:

* Unambiguous and objectively recordable perceptual evidence.
For example, if when people say "Hey God, are you there?", they got an unambiguous and objectively recordable response most of the time, that would qualify.
We see rainbows, we smell farts, we feel heat, and nobody doubts the existence of those things, right?

In my experience, the lack of direct perceptual evidence is trivially (childishly?) dismissed because God apparently chooses to be shy. God never responds unambiguously to prayers because... Well, no one knows. That's just part of God's mystery. I don't buy it, personally. It seems to me like believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden that always hide when you come poking around. The shyness of God is why he gets compared to the flying spaghetti monster, invisible pink unicorns, and Russell's teapot.
* God's good works. A world with God would be a world that has significantly more good in it than could be reasonably attributed to chance. There's enough written about the problem of evil that we don't need to go in depth here, I think.
You seem to believe in a sort of anthropomorphic God with biological manifestations and dare I say it? feelings and good works.

Which does not make sense to me. :shrug:

Sorry.

So, the presence of a nonrandom event in an apparently random universe is not really sufficient evidence for you then, is it?
You missed (or are ignoring) the "Cosmological scale signature" specification.
For example, if the Cosmic microwave background included an unambiguous and detailed picture of a human, or some geometric figures (a circle!), or some prime numbers, that would be evidence of God.

Here's yet another example:
In Carl Sagan's Contact (the book, not the movie), the atheist protagonist finds convincing evidence of God in the digits of Pi... deep inside Pi's base 11 representation, she found a sequence that was an unambiguous pictorial representation of a circle.

You seem to believe in a sort of anthropomorphic God with biological manifestations and dare I say it? feelings and good works.

Which does not make sense to me. :shrug:
You asked for examples of evidence for "God" without further specification. I took a common understanding of what people men by "God", and suggested some evidence that would indicate the existence of such.

Now you're changing the target... but that's OK.
If you tell me some characteristics of God that make sense to you, then I can suggest some examples of robust evidentiary support for your idea of God.

If that's what you want.

You asked for examples of evidence for "God" without further specification. I took a common understanding of what people men by "God", and suggested some evidence that would indicate the existence of such.

Now you're changing the target... but that's OK.
If you tell me some characteristics of God that make sense to you, then I can suggest some examples of robust evidentiary support for your idea of God.

If that's what you want.

Well I answered your response regarding your response.

It doesn't actually have to make sense to me, I just wanted to know what kind of God you expected evidence of. :)

You missed (or are ignoring) the "Cosmological scale signature" specification.
For example, if the Cosmic microwave background included an unambiguous and detailed picture of a human, or some geometric figures (a circle!), or some prime numbers, that would be evidence of God.

Why not say, physical laws that govern with exactitude? Something logical and measurable rather than magical and inexplicable?
Here's yet another example:
In Carl Sagan's Contact (the book, not the movie), the atheist protagonist finds convincing evidence of God in the digits of Pi... deep inside Pi's base 11 representation, she found a sequence that was an unambiguous pictorial representation of a circle.

That sounds illogical to me.

I don't see evidence of any kind of God.
Whether I expect evidence or not isn't really relevant, I think.

Why doesn't the kind of God I described make sense to you?
What kind of God does make sense to you?

It's quite simple, since it is both!

Someone who does not believe in God believes that there is no God.

Pardon the late reply lightgigantic.

its not such a complex notion
the changing of the body (which goes from something the size of a football to a fully fledged adult) is due to the presence of life - and this presence of life is characterized by the same sense of self - IOW your mother still knows of you as her son, even though you are no longer football sized, etc etc - the only thing that is constant with the changes from being football sized to the the present is the symptom of life - specifically the sense of self that goes with it. Regardless of where hair is growing on your body, you don't doubt that it is due to your life .... its not like your next door neighbor grows his hair on your body

Yes, but my sense of self changes as time goes on as well. I may have the "same" personal identity, it still has changed. But even so, this doesn't change the fact that so far nothing demonstrates that this "life" you refer to isn't completely tethered and inseparable from the body. When the body fails, life as we know it fails. Nothing in your example of growth indicates that life, my sense of self, would go on post-mortem.

basically the "something" is god.
Developing a concept of life that isn't based on the bodily designation rests 100% on positively affirming the nature of god (although there is the argument that one can arrive at some sort of default position by logically seeing how one is not the body .... but it doesn't make for a very jolly life)

If one is thinking that life ends because the body ends, one is thinking that one is the body. IOW one doesn't know who one is (am I the football sized thing? am I the adult? am I the child of my parents?) - you cannot indicate the body in any solid singular sense since it is always in a state of flux. This tends to collide with our notion of self, since it remains constant (while issues of the ego may change, "I don't like mickey mouse anymore", the ego, per see, doesn't)

Just because we can't fully identify upon what our personal identity rests does not mean that we can assume it rests on God. And there is no reason why you could not indicate the body. Take a flowing river. At different points in time, it will have different water molecules flowing through it. The water in it at one point in time is not the same as the water at a different point. But the river is still the river. And so, though my body may change, it is still my body. It is not suddenly a new body, thus "constant". Similarly, my personal identity, my sense of self, is changing with every second, but it is still the same personal identity. Like the river, and like the body, it changes but remains constant. I don't need the sort of concept of a constant notion of self that you're implying.

Basically you cannot separate issues of god from issues of life. Kind of like when the sun rises you can see not only the sun but everything else too. to try and indicate things separately, without the presence of the sun is not possible.

This is only if you believe your sense of self is dependent on god and thus circular. We need to drop this for now and first establish that this god is even necessary.

In material life we have a sense of "I" in connection to the body - which is kind of like existing in an ocean of need without any shores - This struggle for material identity is characterized by vice. If we are still dealing with issues of vice, we have not dealt with the problem (Popular new age ways of dealing with the vice is to pretend it doesn't exist .... needless to say, they are not very effective at getting free from the bodily concept of life)

What is the problem? Why is it a problem for me to get away from the bodily concept of life when I have no other credible concepts to go to? While the body concept has its faults, so does every other concept. Would it not make more sense to claim ignorance than to claim a fact you can't verify as truth?

that is introduced by the fact you cannot indicate your life in any singular sense by referring to the body, despite your sense of self remaining essentially singular. It tends to indicate that the body is maintained by your sense of self, as opposed to your sense of self arising from some sort of physical complexity.

Again, simply because we cannot confirm personal identity is tied to the body does not mean that we can assume it is dependent on something else, like god.

Back