BTW when you get the bill for your car service it says:

Parts:
x-$50.00
y- $100.00
z-$50.00

Labor- $200.00

GST= $40.00
Total including GST=$440.00

How many of you think that means the labor cost is optional?

Its not any more than any other tradesmens bill which provides the same break down is. Nor are these sort of restraunt bills.

that is different. The labor it took to make food was included in the food cost.

that is different. The labor it took to make food was included in the food cost.

No it isn't any different. Would you pay for labor if they bought the parts and just threw them underneath hood without connecting them to anything? I wouldn't. My boyfriend took his car in for an oil change and they drained the oil and didn't put anymore in. You think we were going to pay for that? No. You don't get paid when you don't do your job. A good manager knows the customer is always right even when their wrong, that car place bought us a new car. That's good PR. Having customers arrested is not.

$8 thats ridiculas, how is anyone surposed to live on that. The reason i know my brother would have been around $16 is because he worked for the same company as me. Not to mention this:

Every industry MUST pay above this or they are in breach of the industrial relations laws. Oh BTW, that wage also comes with Sick leave, super and holiday pay. It DOESNT come with health care because we have UNIVESAL HEALTH CARE:)

As a waitress I made around $100 in tips a day. On top of the ~$300 I made a week. Can't really complain. Like I said I paid my rent, car note and part of my student loans off with that money. I'm sorry, but I think tips should be earned.

Actually, then you are a fool for taking such a job, because you are depending on the charity of strangers to assess your worth and devaluing the worth of your labour.

Every single person who tips a waitress makes it even more likely that waitressing will remain an underpaid, undervalued profession.

Its the same as everyone who tips the peons ensures that corruption remains rampant in administration.

IT IS NOT CHARITY SAM! it's called payment for services rendered! wake up! it's a job, just like your job. if you work for a company, then the company pays you, and if you work for a customer, the customer pays you. this isn't rocket science babe, you're just being intentionally dense to justify your selfishness and greed.

like i said before, if the company paid the servers they would just raise the price of the food to make up for it. the hourly wage that a full service restaurant does pay to servers is NOT for waiting on you. that's not all a server does. servers have to do lots of work just for the restaurant too, like opening and closing it every day, cleaning and stocking before, during, and after their shift. the reason that the restaurants are ALLOWED to pay servers less than minimum wage is because YOU are supposed to pay them for the service they render to you. and if you don't, then you are STEALING IT.

and if you really have a problem with, and want to protest the way these people are paid, then don't frequent these establishments, and accept the service. limit yourself to buffets, fast food, and other self-service establishments. i mean, you may wish that i had a money tree in my back yard and didn't need to get paid for anything at all, but that's just not happening.

what a crock of shit sam! doesn't your religion recommend cutting people's hands off for doing shit like that? if not, then they should. i know you're not this stupid, and i am extremely disappointed in you. :mad:

IT IS NOT CHARITY SAM! it's called payment for services rendered! wake up! it's a job, just like your job. if you work for a company, then the company pays you, and if you work for a customer, the customer pays you.
So a waiter is a self-employed contractor and NOT employed by the restaurant, but each by separate customer?
What utter nonsense.

So a waiter is a self-employed contractor and NOT employed by the restaurant, but each by separate customer?
What utter nonsense.

no, it's not nonsense...that's actually how servers earn a living. :confused:

listen to the cold hard fact that if servers were not expected to be paid for their services by the customer, that it would be illegal to pay them less than minimum wage.

no, it's not nonsense...that's actually how servers earn a living. :confused:
Really?
So customers interview each prospective waiter/ waitress? And the restaurant doesn't?
Staff are employed by the restaurant.

Really?
So customers interview each prospective waiter/ waitress? And the restaurant doesn't?
Staff are employed by the restaurant.

are you fucking serious? have you been living in a cave somewhere? why don't you pay attention to what i'm saying. servers are paid to wait on the customer by the customer. servers are paid to clean and stock the restaurant by the restaurant. is that really too difficult to get your mind around?

are you fucking serious?
Quite serious, and quite rational unlike you.

have you been living in a cave somewhere?
Nope.

why don't you pay attention to what i'm saying.
Because you're talking bollocks.

servers are paid to wait on the customer by the customer. servers are paid to clean and stock the restaurant by the restaurant. is that really too difficult to get your mind around?
Not too difficult, just wrong.
How many customers interview prospective waiters/ waitresses? Where's the contract?
Servers are paid by the restaurant to DO THEIR JOB. If they're employed as a waiter/ waitress/ bar staff then that's their job, for which they are paid by their employer - the restaurant/ bar.
If they're employed as cleaners/ stockers then they don't serve.

Quite serious, and quite rational unlike you.

Nope.

Because you're talking bollocks.

Not too difficult, just wrong.
How many customers interview prospective waiters/ waitresses? Where's the contract?
Servers are paid by the restaurant to DO THEIR JOB. If they're employed as a waiter/ waitress/ bar staff then that's their job, for which they are paid by their employer - the restaurant/ bar.
If they're employed as cleaners/ stockers then they don't serve.

it's called an implied contract. if you accept services, you're supposed to pay for them. and servers do indeed clean and stock. get a clue.

it's called an implied contract. if you accept services, you're supposed to pay for them. and servers do indeed clean and stock. get a clue.
And the "implied contract" is with the restaurant, the same way the implied contract with ANY business is with the business itself, not the immediate staff.

And the "implied contract" is with the restaurant, the same way the implied contract with ANY business is with the business itself, not the immediate staff.

listen...it's nobody's problem but yours...if you can't understand that you are supposed to pay a server for their service, you're obviously mentally challenged. and if you do understand that, and don't do it anyway, then you're a thief.

those are your only two options.

listen...it's nobody's problem but yours...if you can't understand that you are supposed to pay a server for their service, you're obviously mentally challenged. and if you do understand that, and don't do it anyway, then you're a thief.
Wrong.
The restaurant employs the staff, the restaurant pays their wages.
Any gratuity is just that - a gratuity: freely given or withheld according to personal choice.

those are your only two options.
Or I could go with your option: lunacy.

are you fucking serious? have you been living in a cave somewhere? why don't you pay attention to what i'm saying. servers are paid to wait on the customer by the customer. servers are paid to clean and stock the restaurant by the restaurant. is that really too difficult to get your mind around?

As far as I know waiters and waitresses are paid minimum wages and the tips are extra gratitudes by customers . How many other people in other jobs with minimum wages get tips ?. I can name : some security guards, some stores workers, some factory workers.....etc .

California -
"Gratuity" is defined in the Labor Code as a tip, gratuity, or money that has been paid or given to or left for an employee by a patron of a business over and above the actual amount due for services rendered or for goods, food, drink, articles sold or served to patrons.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_tipsandgratutities.htm
Note the words "over and above" i.e. it's extra, not actually part of the wage.
a tip is a voluntary amount left by a patron for an employee.
(Same link).
Voluntary. I.e. if you don't pay it you aren't a thief.

UK -
A customer usually gives a tip to a waiter or waitress that they feel has done a particularly good job – somehow added to the enjoyment of their dining experience with their extra attentive service.
http://www.runarestaurant.co.uk/rules-for-staff-tips-gratuities.html
If they have done a particularly good job... in other words if they "just do their job" the gratuity isn't warranted (and since we all have differing expectations of what constitutes a "particularly good" job then , once again, it isn't theft if not given.

Philadelphia(?) -
The word "gratuity" means that it is over and above what is legally required. It implies conclusively that there is no intention to create any such legal compulsion, and it is voluntary. That's what the English word means.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091119184356AA4EB4V
"Over and above" again. No intention to create a legal compulsion (such as, say, as there would be if it were theft to not give it?). "it is voluntary".

Dictionary -
Money, also known as a tip, given to one who provides services and added to the cost of the service provided, generally as a reward for the service provided and as a supplement to the service provider's income.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/gratuity
A reward, a supplement...
Also from the same link -
Gratuity is customarily designed to ensure that patrons receive the best service possible. The custom allows service providers to be rewarded for providing good service and lets patrons penalize those who provide poor service.
To ensure the best service possible i.e. not payment for service itself.
"Reward for good service, penalty for poor service".

How simple can it be?

As far as I know waiters and waitresses are paid minimum wages and the tips are extra gratitudes by customers . How many other people in other jobs with minimum wages get tips ?. I can name : some security guards, some stores workers, some factory workers.....etc .

where i live and in many other places, servers are paid about half of minimum wage. how simple is that?

California -

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_tipsandgratutities.htm
Note the words "over and above" i.e. it's extra, not actually part of the wage.

(Same link).
Voluntary. I.e. if you don't pay it you aren't a thief.

You are misreading your own source.

"Gratuity" is defined in the Labor Code as a tip, gratuity, or money that has been paid or given to or left for an employee by a patron of a business over and above the actual amount due for services rendered or for goods, food, drink, articles sold or served to patrons.

Further down, if you had read #6:

...An example of a mandatory service charge that is a contractual agreement would be a 10 or 15 percent charge added to the cost of a banquet...

When the menu says a 18% gratuity will be added, it is a service charge. It is part of the bill when you have x amount of people (seems to vary by establishment of over six or eight or more).

And to support my position even further, here a snippet dealing with Pennsylvania (where this actually happened):

"One last possibility involves the practice of charging a "gratuity" or "service charge" collected in lieu of tips. In that case, the money is not even viewed as "tip" for minimum wage law purposes. As a result, no use of the tip credit is allowed and, as you might expect from the above discussion, the gratuity money can be divided up however the restaurant owner desires. The restaurant owner can cut in or out classes of employees as he sees fits -- provided that his decisions do not amount to discrimination under Federal and State anti-discrimination laws, which is a topic unto itself."

http://www.buteralaw.com/newsletters.asp?c=88&id=597

Other readings indicate a gratuity charge on a bill in florida are part of the bill and not just 'helpful advice'.

Buyer beware.

So it depends on where you live then . Here all workers must have minimum wages or above and it is the law .

well it's not here and in many other places. and it's common knowledge that standard gratuity for food service is 15-20%. and the irs accepts a conservative estimate of 10% of your food sales, which the restaurant typically keeps track of for you and reports on your W-2. so if someone doesn't tip you at least that much, you actually have to pay (the irs) to wait on them.

and just for shits and giggles...how much would YOU charge the average family or group of friends/associates to serve them dinner? i guarantee you MOST people's answer would be hell of a lot more than the tips they leave.

You are misreading your own source.
I see, so you think highlighting what I've already pointed out somehow makes YOUR point?
OVER AND ABOVE the actual amount DUE. In other words - extras.

Further down, if you had read #6:
...An example of a mandatory service charge that is a contractual agreement would be a 10 or 15 percent charge added to the cost of a banquet...
I did read that part.
A "service charge" is NOT a gratuity. It's that simple.

Back