Arrested for not Tipping

Free market, I mean. If they were worth more than that on the market, they would not accept the poor wages. They imagine the tips reflect their real worth, just as the elevator operator imagines his pay is for real labour.

Free market, I mean. If they were worth more than that on the market, they would not accept the poor wages. They imagine the tips reflect their real worth, just as the elevator operator imagines his pay is for real labour.

They would accept the wages rather than not have any income at all I would wager.

Thats what most employers depend on.

Note however, that we don't tip all people with poor wages, just the ones exposed to our conspicuous consumption.

Note however, that we don't tip all people with poor wages, just the ones exposed to our conspicuous consumption.

Very true. I would say a janitor is more deserving of a tip in some respects than A person who serves drinks or food. :D

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.
mandatory means it is required.
my question is why the restaurant chooses to call it a gratuity.

I only monetarily tip when the service is good I will leave a written tip if the service is bad usually the written tip is in the form of a pointer to the server as to how they may obtain a monetary tip upon my return to the restaurant if I ever do. All so a copy of the same tip is usually placed in the suggestion box as well.

Buyer beware. Parties of x amount will be charged a gratuity. Such is the market.

Indeed, but my professor was Indian, as are the elevator operators. Why do you think waitresses [and other selected sundry professions] in the US believe their labour is worth tips?

And these customers should have read the menu which stated parties of x amount get automatically charged 18% (I assume it was written in the menu as it is in many places I have dined at). They need to realize what they signed up for when they placed an order.

again ill state look up the definition of gratuity... its a tip for good service.. no where does it ever say manditory.. all the buisnesses have to do if they wernt so gdamn cheap is add taht 18% to the price of everything but then they will be getting taxed.. every buisness that has manditory gratuity you could say is commiting fraud because i can almost gaurentee that they dont put the gratuity in there final profit numbers. there for they are commiting fraud, ans the gratuity is manditory its no longer gratituity and should be taxed

not sure where your from but in california waitresses get min wage which is 8+usd i believe

think whats worth? i was saying they waitresses get an hourly 8+ usd along with everyone else.. why should they get a manditory tip on a job that is brainlessly easy when another person does 40x the work and doesnt even have the option "due to society" to get tipped

again ill state look up the definition of gratuity... its a tip for good service.. no where does it ever say manditory.. all the buisnesses have to do if they wernt so gdamn cheap is add taht 18% to the price of everything but then they will be getting taxed.. every buisness that has manditory gratuity you could say is commiting fraud because i can almost gaurentee that they dont put the gratuity in there final profit numbers. there for they are commiting fraud, ans the gratuity is manditory its no longer gratituity and should be taxed

It is taxed. Its right there on the receipt to the establishment and is counted as income. This is why whenever I go out to eat and use plastic, I make sure I have the cash to cover the tip. The receipt shows the waitstaff received -0- and they can pocket it or not. Their choice.

It is common for merchants to add extra charges for custom work. As has been pointed out it this thread parties of more than 6 (or 8) are deemed by some establishments to require an extra charge.

It may be that you have never dined at an establishment which add a gratuity fee for larger parties. I have and its always noted on the menu. It is the buyers responsibility to read the menu.

No foul committed on the part of this establishment as far as I can tell.

think whats worth? i was saying they waitresses get an hourly 8+ usd along with everyone else.. why should they get a manditory tip on a job that is brainlessly easy when another person does 40x the work and doesnt even have the option "due to society" to get tipped

You assume the gratuity goes to the waitstaff.

not sure where your from but in california waitresses get min wage which is 8+usd i believe

Yes, in california it is $8 (according to the link I posted). However, this did not occur in california, it happened in pennsylvania, which allows for a lesser minimum wage for waitstaff as posted.

You have no idea what this waitstaff at this pub/resturant makes as a wage and you have no idea if the gratuity goes to the waitstaff or if it is bundled into the resturants income.

And these customers should have read the menu which stated parties of x amount get automatically charged 18% (I assume it was written in the menu as it is in many places I have dined at). They need to realize what they signed up for when they placed an order.
It depends on how it was worded. The vast majority of menus that I've seen use language like "A 15% gratuity will be added to your bill for parties of 8," or some such. If that was the case, then they are saying that the extra 15% payment is optional, since a gratuity is by definition an optional payment. If they said something like "A 15% fee will be added to your bill," then they would probably be on much better footing in terms of forcing people to pay. But most restaurants don't phrase it like that.

It depends on how it was worded. The vast majority of menus that I've seen use language like "A 15% gratuity will be added to your bill for parties of 8," or some such. If that was the case, then they are saying that the extra 15% payment is optional, since a gratuity is by definition an optional payment. If they said something like "A 15% fee will be added to your bill," then they would probably be on much better footing in terms of forcing people to pay. But most restaurants don't phrase it like that.

Its the 'will be' part that makes it assured.

Back