Are you an introvert or extrovert?

What's the overlap between introvert and just being socially anxious / self-conscious etc?
They're not the same thing, although it seems they often get used interchangeably.
But I know enough introverts to know the difference: some cringe at anything where they are centre of attention while others seem to suffer no embarrassment at all.

As I understand introverts, they are sensitive to dopamine levels in the brain, so when they go out and dopamine rises they get overloaded, hence the need to find a quiet, calm space to bring things back to an even keel.
This could be several hours into the party or within five minutes, depending upon the sensitivity.
Extroverts have no such sensitivity.

There's another chemical (can't recall the name) that is more of a mellow buzz that is released during things like introspection, daydreaming etc.
Introverts like that more mellow buzz, something they can enjoy while not getting too overloaded, whereas extroverts have no real reaction to it at all, like an alcoholic drinking shandy... just doesn't do it for 'em.
Interesting info. I can relate to those feelings. It can best be described as excitement to be at a fun party, mixed with an overwhelming feeling of angst. (as an example)

Going to look up this other chemical release that you mention.

Just not the ones with a poster in the elevator prohibiting peanuts and perfume.
I'm wondering how well a dog fit into an open-plan office situation - - maybe a really well-trained stapler-sniffing dog, with a coffee flask in his saddle-bag?
Well trained are the only kind that work out in any office environment.

Everybody thinks badly of me. Ever since posted my alien (or terrestrial lab concoctions) experience.
Bw/S, I can't speak for others but I make it a personal forum policy to have an extremely short memory.
That incident is already forgotten in my mind.
All that matters to me is what you do moving forward.

And being at work in a place like that is being "out in public" - which is of course where (according to the guys who want to save a few bucks on office construction) all "responsible adults" go when they need to concentrate on some difficult task, learn new things, think creatively and well.

And the cat comes out of the bag.

After all, the whole point of having a workplace at all is to avoid having to find a den or build a fort just to get something done. That's extra work. That's overhead. Introverts have better things to do. They aren't volunteering for conflict - they're introverts, remember. So why the attitude?

Being treated with hostility for not wanting to be disturbed while working - no matter how politely expressed - is a common experience of introverts from childhood on. Because in point of fact it's always somebody's den - and the introvert is just one person.

The expectation of hostility, mild and polite of course but conflict nonetheless, is what governs their decisionmaking, for example, in this situation:

Ands so the introvert sucks it up and tolerates - just as they do in public, among strangers, on the bus or in a crowded bar. They put the necessary effort into weighing the consequences - every day, several times a day - and then put the necessary effort into tolerating, being reasonable, etc.

But that comes at a price. And the guys with the data have measured that price - what it costs a corporation to lose productivity to increased social tension and pack politics and the mental effort of ignoring distractions and disturbances. And that number turns out to be quite high - a major overhead cost. So what to do?

People thought of simply not hiring these snowflakes who are so "sensitive", who "overreact" to music they can't avoid, or having somebody crunching carrots and jabbering with co-workers clear across the room, say. So they ran the numbers, and found what the gross productivity numbers should have told them: a surprisingly high percentage of people fall into the "sensitive" category, and most will not admit it - they actively hide it on evaluation forms, and have to be tricked into revealing this character flaw.

Any idea why?

OK. Fair enough. You've made a good argument for accommodating personality types.

I guess I'm one of those 'mild' introverts who doesn't mind background noise.

Sounds like you're an "anxious introvert" :)
Yea, that makes sense. It's weird because I have a lot of good friends, but thinking about it, they have to initiate. lol All relationships with me tend to be initiated by others. This isn't to say I'm not a caring friend, but I tend to not initiate. Same with adding people to FB, etc. People sometimes think I'm being aloof, but I'm just an introvert. ;)

Thankfully, people must think I'm worth getting to know, so people initiate a lot with me. ha

Found it!
Acetylcholine.
The drug of choice for introverts! ;)

This is the first neurotransmitter discovered in 1921. :)

What difference does it make?
Having one thing you say doubted as to its reality or veracity and being generally disliked are two separate issues, neither of which amounts to persecution, or justifies lashing out at random people without provocation.
So, you don't believe me either?

I don't even know - and, frankly, my dear, can't bring myself to care - what you're on about.
You have strange ringing in your ears.
I have four thousand crickets playing in mine, pretty much all the time since chemotherapy ten years ago.
It doesn't cause me to go around telling everybody to go fuck themselves.

I feel like this thread has morphed into a confessional. :D

Father forgive me for I have sinned. I had lust in my heart for Beer w/Straw even though she is bonkers for aliens. Shall I say 3 Hail Marys and repent?

Dear diary,

I tried to make a thread that would stay on topic, but it failed again. Someday, I will post a thread, that stays (somewhat) on topic, and it will be a special day, indeed.

Dear diary,

I tried to make a thread that would stay on topic, but it failed again.

Dear Wegs,
Have you ever wondered why staying on topic is important to you?

(If it's any consolation, your threads may wander all over the place, but people stay engaged for pages and pages, while anything i start dies in three posts or less.)

Does that mean you don't believe I'm lying, though?
I have no reason to think you would lie. I have no reason to think you wouldn't lie, either. But, on balance, I'm inclined to think you wouldn't post such a lie - or at least most people wouldn't, though I can think of a few who would and some who might, in certain circumstances; then again, i don't know how badly you crave attention. Well, in fact, really, I don't know you from one of those anonymous pictures of happy people in magazine ads....
OWTH! Yes, I'm sure you're not lying. OK?

Dear Wegs,
Have you ever wondered why staying on topic is important to you?

Dear Jeeves, it doesn't matter.

(If it's any consolation, your threads may wander all over the place, but people stay engaged for pages and pages, while anything i start dies in three posts or less.)
Hmm. What do you make of it?

Back