Are there any real atheists

Archie,

When I say "Shit!", I don't think of feces. When I say "Fuck!", I don't think of sexual intercourse. When I call someone a bitch, I don't think of a female dog. When I call someone a motherfucker, I don't think of them having sex with their mom. When I say "God damn it", I don't think of God. All these are simply labels for unfavorable things and unfortunate events.

Wulf, (if I may) you do understand the names of the days of the week have been 'formalized' by custom and practise, don't you? They really are simply labels by which to distinguish the first day from the fifth day, right?
That changes nothing. I've never heard people say "Lunaday" or "Jupiterday", or even "Paulday" or "Matthewday". It just doesn't ring. So then they must believe in the Anglo-Saxon Moon god and thunder god by default, right? Isn't that what you're implying?

The days of the week in English reflect the fact English is a Germanic language.
And "God damn it" reflects that many people who spoke English in the past were Christians who didn't take what their religion told them not to do very seriously.

The eighth month is called "August" in English, but I don't particularly use it commemorate Ceasar Augustus. It does mean that month was named for him, but not by me.
Likewise, I don't particularly say "God damn it" to commemorate God. It does allude to a request directed at God being made, but not by me.

So... applying this theory to cussing, somehow God - not Woden or Zeus or Bob was made the default.
Oh, that's simple. The English language was mostly Christianized when the speakers thereof were Christianized. Therefore, they wouldn't have been thinking of Woden or Zeus.

I think it's worth noting that there's a word in Spanish, ojalá. It is used the same as espero que, "I hope that". But according to your logic, Spanish speakers must believe in the Islamic God by default because they are basically saying "Oh if Allah might want it".

I find it odd, but I hear Asian people swearing by the Christian God when stressed. I never hear Japanese or Vietnamese people for instance saying "Buddha dammit". It just doesn't - ring.
They say "God damn it" because they learned English, and that's an English phrase. "Buddha damn it" doesn't ring because it isn't a string of sounds you ever hear, and because Buddha doesn't damn things.

And let's not forget about ojalá.

By the way; I still don't believe in atheists. They're just a myth.
Then you're an ignorant lout.

Athelwulf said:
When I say "Shit!", I don't think of feces…
So you're saying there's no connection between that word and intestinally processed food? They just happen to have the same string of phonetic values?
Athelwulf said:
I think it's worth noting that there's a word in Spanish, ojalá. It is used the same as espero que, "I hope that". But according to your logic, Spanish speakers must believe in the Islamic God by default because they are basically saying "Oh if Allah might want it".
Spanish has a good deal of Moorish (Arab) influence. For those who don't speak Spanish, the word ' ojalá' is pronounced " oh-ha-LAH ". Listening closely, one might hear 'Allah' in that word somewhere. To my understanding, the word means "may God grant". In Mexico today, most everyone is Roman Catholic and I don't think anyone considers 'Allah' in the usage.

Wulf, dice que esta palabra viene de la lengua Arabica? Si es, no es la unica.
Athelwulf said:
Then you're an ignorant lout.
Oh! Oh! He spoke sharply to me in a mean-spirited fashion! I've got the vapours! Elizabeth! This is the big one! Whatever will I do? I've been vanquished by a stern look!

Build a bridge and get over it, Athelwulf; you and all the rest know God exists and you just won't admit it. Atheists? Bah. Sugar-Plum fairies, perhaps.

snake river rufus said:
I, for one, know that god most certainly does not exist.
Bang!
Trap exposed.
That is precisely the sort of statement that the thread was calling for.

A statement like this, and we find out what sort of atheist you are?

snake river rufus said:
(typing slowly) duendy, the point that I'm vainly trying to make is that you have one of the biggest blind spots of any poster here.
i a trrryin to get you to say what you mean? can you do that?i am not a mind reader. especially with someone as 'superior' as you think yu are.
whe you say i have a blind spot, what you mean....typing, argument?
tere is no point ad homin someone with vague disparaging remarks. if yo got summit to say fukin spit it out

Archie said:
So you're saying there's no connection between that word and intestinally processed food? They just happen to have the same string of phonetic values?Spanish has a good deal of Moorish (Arab) influence. For those who don't speak Spanish, the word ' ojalá' is pronounced " oh-ha-LAH ". Listening closely, one might hear 'Allah' in that word somewhere. To my understanding, the word means "may God grant". In Mexico today, most everyone is Roman Catholic and I don't think anyone considers 'Allah' in the usage.
Archie, you're being utterly ridiculous - and I think you know you are? (Or at least I hope you know you are!)

Using a word or a phrase does NOT mean, nor has ever meant, that one believes in those words - merely in what that phrase expresses!
Some people do - and good for them - but usage does not necessitate, prove, require etc belief!

Archie said:
Some do, not all. I know ordinary, everyday Christians who would not say the equivlent of 'fecal matter' if they were dumped in it headlong. I know a very scholarly pastor and theologian who can strip paint and start small fires by cussing. The point is, theists believe in a God upon whom to call. Atheists supposedly do not. But if they really don't; why call out His name or title in moments of high stress?
I've only heard gods name taken in vain from theists, I've not heard it from atheists. Perhaps that's only coincidence?

I don't think that follows. I don't think atheists say exactly the same thing each time they are hurt or surprized, do they? Why should Christians?

They don't, of course. I was just trying to follow your line of logic.

Have I shed any light?

Somewhat.

I for one am agnostic atheist. I understand that I can not prove a negative but still lack a belief in Gods.

Is there a term for anyone who cannot form a concept of gods and therefore is unable to relate to anyone who has?

(Q) said:
Is there a term for anyone who cannot form a concept of gods and therefore is unable to relate to anyone who has?
how do you mean 'gods'? do you mean someting like entities that appear on the 'astral plane'? or ctually appear to you? or abstract terms like 'God' who people pray to...?
what bout the materialist's 'god' 'profit'. why is that not classed as a god?? manypople 'sacrifice' to it, just like someone might to a clay god, or Allah, etc.

Of course there are real atheists. It's kind of like UFOs or the Loch Ness Monster... there are people who believe without proof, people who think there is proof, people who haven't formed a definite opinion, and people who don't believe at all.

And yes, I am comparing religion to belief in UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster. Religion may be as a general rule considered a little more respectable, but the same system still applies. I don't mean to offend anyone, though.

snake river rufus said:
I, for one, know that god most certainly does not exist.
Okay Rufus, I'll bite; how do you know "...god most certainly does not exist."

Surely you're not going to claim Divine Revelation?

Back