Are there any real atheists

Crazy people. Questions not answered.
There is no such thing as "atheist", then.
You cannot be an athiest without training your attention to be one.

macabre said:
I am merely interested in who here believes God does not exist and why. From my own personal experience I believe in a higher power.

Thanks

It's really quite simple. As someone who believes in a higher power, it is inconceivable for you to understand a world without gods. Atheists can't comprehend a world with gods.

So, it's not likely you'll get a clear explanation from an atheist as to why they don't believe in gods, simply because they cannot comprehend such things. The explanations therefore MUST come from theists since they are the ones who have created the concept of their gods.

You can go on and on with your description of the higher power that you imagine, but an atheist couldn't tell you why they don't believe in your description, simply because that description only exists in your mind, not theirs.

To answer your question, atheists would have to be mind readers.

I am atheist. I do not believe in any gods or a single God has ever existed.

To further answer the question, requires me questioning why people think a God or gods exist. Throughout the history of humans, "we" have believed in all kinds of gods. Numerous gods. One single God. Ideas changed because proof was made that certain gods never existed.

How come we have so many religions? Because a new idea, concept, or belief was thought up. Notice the word "belief". To have faith in a god is to "believe" that it exists, without any proof of its existence.

Old readings have been translated many times, and more than likely, they have been translated incorrectly. Translating from one language to another makes the message misleading and not exactly what it originally was, like what happens in the "telephone" game (that I remember playing in elementary school).

Often times religious people contradict what they say, because maybe someone has proven them wrong about something. I kind of think people believe in religions as a way of escaping reality. Almost as if they just made up a god because they don't have an explanation for certain things.

More and more science is proving things that make religion more false (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/science...wDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhcmljNmVhBHNlYwNtcm5ld3M-).

I think the only true good thing that comes from religion are good morals. I believe in good moral values. Well I mean, "good" moral values in my own opinion.

I do not hate religion, I just think people are being misguided, and always have been. I don't mind religion being around, but please just don't let it have anything to do with politics, because that's complicated enough.

CielChocobo said:
I think the only true good thing that comes from religion are good morals. I believe in good moral values. Well I mean, "good" moral values in my own opinion.

Morals are not borne from religion, they come from simple human interactions. Theists want to believe morals came from religion, just like they want to believe everything came from their religion.

Now you have one more reason to be an atheist.

I don't believe in atheists.

For one thing, I've never heard an atheist, after banging his thumb with a hammer, yell "Nothing dammit!" See, when the crunch (no pun intended) comes, they believe.

Archie said:

For one thing, I've never heard an atheist, after banging his thumb with a hammer, yell "Nothing dammit!" See, when the crunch (no pun intended) comes, they believe.
That is not proof that there are no atheists. That is only proof that we, sometimes, look to offend.

Archie said:

If we assume that you meant, "God dammit" as the intended phrase, are we also to assume theists never said that phrase?

Are we to further assume that if a theist said "Crap" instead, he doesn't actually believe?

Just trying to see where you're going with that.

Archie said:

Do you say "Nothingday" to say "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", and "Sunday"? If not, you must believe in Mona, Tiw, Woden, Thor, Frige, and Sunna.

(Q) said:
If we assume that you meant, "God dammit" as the intended phrase, are we also to assume theists never said that phrase?
Some do, not all. I know ordinary, everyday Christians who would not say the equivlent of 'fecal matter' if they were dumped in it headlong. I know a very scholarly pastor and theologian who can strip paint and start small fires by cussing. The point is, theists believe in a God upon whom to call. Atheists supposedly do not. But if they really don't; why call out His name or title in moments of high stress?
(Q) said:
Are we to further assume that if a theist said "Crap" instead, he doesn't actually believe?
I don't think that follows. I don't think atheists say exactly the same thing each time they are hurt or surprized, do they? Why should Christians?
(Q) said:
Just trying to see where you're going with that.
Have I shed any light?

Athelwulf said:
Do you say "Nothingday" to say "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", and "Sunday"? If not, you must believe in Mona, Tiw, Woden, Thor, Frige, and Sunna.
Of course I believe in Mona. She works where I work.

Wulf, (if I may) you do understand the names of the days of the week have been 'formalized' by custom and practise, don't you? They really are simply labels by which to distinguish the first day from the fifth day, right? (By the way, in Hebrew, the days of the week are simply the numbers. Sunday is One or First, and Saturday is Seven or Seventh. I never can remember the details.) The days of the week in English reflect the fact English is a Germanic language. The months of the year of course reflect Julius Ceaser's contruction of the yearly calendar. The eighth month is called "August" in English, but I don't particularly use it commemorate Ceasar Augustus. It does mean that month was named for him, but not by me.

So... applying this theory to cussing, somehow God - not Woden or Zeus or Bob was made the default. I find it odd, but I hear Asian people swearing by the Christian God when stressed. I never hear Japanese or Vietnamese people for instance saying "Buddha dammit". It just doesn't - ring.

By the way; I still don't believe in atheists. They're just a myth.

Archie said:
Wulf, (if I may) you do understand the names of the days of the week have been 'formalized' by custom and practise, don't you?

So has 'god fucking dam' or 'goddammit'.

haha...athelwulf got you.

CielChocobo said:
I am atheist. I do not believe in any gods or a single God has ever existed.

me))but do you believe in a sub-you. ie., that there is a deeper level of you tan your conscious mind thinks there is?
even advertizers use a sneaky trick called subliminal manipulation. this technique involves whoing images so quick your consciousness mind does't see them but your subconsciou mind, which is quicker, does, and tis is supposed to covertly influence you.

To further answer the question, requires me questioning why people think a God or gods exist. Throughout the history of humans, "we" have believed in all kinds of gods. Numerous gods. One single God. Ideas changed because proof was made that certain gods never existed.

me))as i understand it, itis that originally ther was an understanding of spirit immanent in matter. then personalized 'spirits' part human part animal are belieed to be embedded in Nature, places like well, woods, etc. then there is in Greek myth te Olympian 'gods' who denigrate and suppress te more cthonic gods, and create all human 'distant' gods, and soon abstractions are made that divorces 'gods' from Nature. thi is discisive ,omet in myth which creates the psychological schism between Nature and 'spirit' culminating in te Occidental monoteistic 'God' apart from 'his' 'creation,and the Eastern 'One' believed to be the ultimate reality, where diveristy is deemed 'illusion'

How come we have so many religions? Because a new idea, concept, or belief was thought up. Notice the word "belief". To have faith in a god is to "believe" that it exists, without any proof of its existence.

me)))))yes, in patriarchal religions. but originally there was DIRECT particiation. ie., experincing BEING a 'god'--and/or seeing and experincing 'spirit(s)'

Old readings have been translated many times, and more than likely, they have been translated incorrectly. Translating from one language to another makes the message misleading and not exactly what it originally was, like what happens in the "telephone" game (that I remember playing in elementary school).

me)))of course. patriarchal mythology BEGINS with writing as we understand it. abstract symbols/the 'Word of God'?

Often times religious people contradict what they say, because maybe someone has proven them wrong about something. I kind of think people believe in religions as a way of escaping reality. Almost as if they just made up a god because they don't have an explanation for certain things.

me))))i believe patriarchy has manipulated our deeper NEEDS. that the freedom of ecstasy as was once celebrated in Indigenous cultures has been suppressed, and replaced with alienating symbplogy. tis in includes materialistic science!

More and more science is proving things that make religion more false (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/science...wDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhcmljNmVhBHNlYwNtcm5ld3M-).

me))))well, yeah, patriarchal religion. but as for the Old Religion, and its sense of interconnection with Nature it continues to suppress tis via its demand of there only being 'objectivity', measure/denigrating 'subjectivity'/Depth

me)))is wolrdmoral in our opinion. have last 500 years, for example, been moral? how you mean, 'moral'

I do not hate religion, I just think people are being misguided, and always have been. I don't mind religion being around, but please just don't let it have anything to do with politics, because that's complicated enough.

but i feel you are --whenyou say 'religion' automatically think of PATRIARCAHL religion---until you research the Old Religion, of deep reverance for Nature, then you have a major blindspot.

Back