Are all soldiers like the Nazis?

an argument as fighting for peace? No never heard of that before. I classify an argument as a disagreement over an issue. Conflict resolution through communication. Doesn't seem to work much on a website forum though, sadly.

No, but it passes time. Helps excercise the brain.

It looks like you are taking these things about soldiering on a very individualistic level, as opposed to taking them on a national/state level.

I don't think the same ethical and practical principles can be applied on all the different levels.

care to expand on these distinctions so we can ascertain validity?
at what levels and to what extent do these principles become compromised and why is it necessary?

Change you can believe in? You're a martyr alright, you're just sacrificing the lives of less important people than yourself.

No, you dolt, a martyr sacrifices THEMSELVES. A martyr (Greek: μάρτυς, mártys, "witness"; stem μάρτυρ-, mártyr-) is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief, usually religious.

A little less glorification of violence against the defenseless.

If I seem to sound cold, it is because I believe in karma and reincarnation, not because I would be "glorifying violence against the defenseless".

With such a belief, there comes a certain detachment to worldly evils.

No, you dolt, a martyr sacrifices THEMSELVES. A martyr (Greek: μάρτυς, mártys, "witness"; stem μάρτυρ-, mártyr-) is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief, usually religious.

Ever notice how the ones promoting the ideology are never the ones with boots on the ground? Their lives are too precious to be squandered for the cause they espouse.

Its like those video games where everyone but the hero is dispensable.

Indeed

police_brutality01.jpg

Soldiers must necessarily give up a degree of individual freedom in order to be part of a functioning unit. However, they do not have to follow illegal orders.

It looks like you are taking these things about soldiering on a very individualistic level, as opposed to taking them on a national/state level.

I don't think the same ethical and practical principles can be applied on all the different levels.
care to expand on these distinctions so we can ascertain validity?
at what levels and to what extent do these principles become compromised and why is it necessary?

Compare practical examples: If one person's house gets flooded over, different measures need to be implemented than if a whole region or country goes underwater. The principle may in some aspect be the same - in both cases, help is needed due to flood and there is damage due to flood -, but because the scope of the help needed and of the impact of the flood is so different, quite different measures need to be taken.

If your house gets flooded, you're pretty much left to yourself to deal with it; although some public services may come to help you, but you will probably have to pay for most of it yourself.

If a whole region gets flooded, ideally, the state takes control, and if you live in that region, you better do as the authorities tell you.

You can fill in yourself all the detail differences about insurance issues, housing options, prevention of diseases, infrastructure etc. etc.

Or put another way: States exist as entities, and they function in relation to eachother as entities. Those relations are carried out on the level of interactions between individual people. This is called being a citizen.

Those interactions between individual people are, however, not the same as any other interactions between individual people.

People fulfill different roles in life - spouse, parent, worker, customer, patient, etc., and one of these roles is citizen. Apparently the notion of citizenship isn't felt very strongly among some, hence it is harder to understand soldiering.

Soldiers must necessarily give up a degree of individual freedom in order to be part of a functioning unit. However, they do not have to follow illegal orders.

Fortunately killing people who never did anything is legal in their profession.

True, but as a committed nonvegetarian I am not morally opposed to killing animals.

Fortunately killing people who never did anything is legal in their profession.

Unfortunately, killing people who may have never done anything wrong is a last resort option in human disputes. No nation I know of refuses to have an army or some means of waging war.

Unfortunately, killing people who may have never done anything wrong is a last resort option in human disputes. No nation I know of refuses to have an army or some means of waging war.

Its the poverty of imagination. The nation state is merely a conduit for the continued failed ideology of colonialism.

Its why you have apparently rational people defending imaginary lines.

Back