Any atheists here who were once believers?

How many times do I have to say it - they are 100% true.

Sorry, but we are not so gullible as you to believe your stories are valid in any way. You make them up like you make up everything else, it's just a lot of baloney, dude. Just like you claiming to be a scientist. Pure bs.

You do not have truths, you have delusions and lies, and no one wants them shared. Just stop. You do nothing but accomplish conflict.
Conflict, aggression violence are your problems - I said before seek help for your anger. Before someone gets hurt.

Sorry, but we are not so gullible as you to believe your stories are valid in any way. You make them up like you make up everything else, it's just a lot of baloney, dude. Just like you claiming to be a scientist. Pure bs.
No bullshit my science is the science of bull shit but not bullshit. I don't like bullshit, and I don't like bull shit either, but it is my bread and butter.

Last edited:
An addition that was added in my old "poem post" (#1132)but so far back that few saw it so is now here:

"Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest. "

At first glance, I thought you wrote it, but it's by James Henry Leigh Hunt

Ah, very nice!

Robittybob1 this thread moves so fast that I assume you did not see the 2nd paragraph of my post 1178, added as you replied to the first and other more hostile posts, instead of are ignoring the question there - I think you may like to know about Bishop Berkley's POV.

Would you have believed him if it had taken his eye out?
No! But I did say it was feasible, just not something that I had to accept as truth.
Would you have to be there at the time?
No! I accept a story for it's truth value, if it sounds to far fetched, then it is discarded, but remains perhaps a good story.
All the people I write about except my Dad, Ben and Olivia (murder victims), the Mystery Man (died the other week) are alive and maybe able to confirm what I say.
That's great, but as said once the story asks me to suspend belief, I discard it. As do most reasonable critically thinking people.

Seattle,

I gave an example earlier that gave some clarity (i think) to this concern, maybe you missed it.

My point was: I do not believe in eating flesh and blood animals, but I believe that sacrifising them for the pleasure of of our pallete expresses a lack of outstanding human qualities like compassion and empathy. IOW, my atheism (so to speak) of eating flesh and blood animals, is connected to my belief (theism) that to do so for no other reason than for our pleasure, somehow diminishes good qualities that can be used to make the society we live in more humane. Now I'm not interested in the claim I'm making (so please don't digress). The argument that ''atheism'' is nothing more than a lack of belief falls down unless you are okay with being classed as mindless numpties without reason, and I doubt that.

Atheism is just a lack of belief of God due to insufficient evidence. Atheism doesn't describe someone's entire being however any more than not being a football player describes someone's complete personality.

I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of ''Religion'' and ''God'', and what that means to different people. Once you do that, you will be able to see the basis of those religious traditions, because as it stands at this moment, all the talk is aimed at Evangelical Christianity, as if that is the be all end all of religious tradition. What is worse, I find, is that you are not even prepared (like evangelical christians) to venture out into the broader picture. You are completely content with the idea, that a rebuttal of of these views is sufficient to cover all religious tradition (and more importantly the scriptural origins).

Yes, of course in one sentence I can't refer to every religion and every concept of God. That's part of the problem :)

Everyone is sure that they know the supernatural, their views are all very different, and they can't all be right.

I have an open mind but not an empty one. It is open to anything for which there is sufficient evidence. There may be aliens visiting from Mars. I'm open to that. I just haven't seen sufficient evidence for it yet.

Again you appear unappreciative of the broad dynamic range of ''Love'', by simply comparing it to ''apples and oranges''. I think a good measure of it's dynamic range can be likened to the range of colours and shades, and of the harmonic content expressed with intention, within the vibetory aspects of frequency. We know that there exist three primary colours, and seven notes of the harmonic scale, but the variation which can be produced with active intention is infinitesimal.

I think you are missing my point. I'm not discussing the concept of "love" particularly. I'm using that concept as an example of something that some compare to religion as another intangible. In other words, you are getting hung up on "love". It would be like me getting hung up on you not eating meat in the example above. Not eating meat wasn't your ultimate point.

But, if ''Love'' was being quantified as nothing more than a chemical reaction that occurs in the brain, as an evolutionary, survivalistic process (which I believe it is in some circles, or definitely used to be), then to believe in ''Love'' as something other than a materialistic process, is no different than believing in God.

I won't belabor this point as it's not really important. It's just a matter of shifting from a scientific discussion of "love" to a philosophic discussion.

One thing to note here is that, saying ''I believe in God'' is not the same as actually believing in God. So again it bolis down to what is God. The explicit atheist is at home with the idea that God is an arbitary concept, one that is concoted for the sole purpose of explaining why the world is the way it is, and how it came to be. This shows what their idea of God is, and within this idea everything beyond it is superfluous. It is just a construct to support that notion. That being said, there is no need to understand anything more about the scripture, the process of invention of such a concept is simply an evolution of earlier, more primitive ideas. It is therefore understandable how one can think one believes in God at some point in their life (before information explosion), but due to modern scientific development have no more need for that pacifier. But this is only successful because of the wilful ignorance of who, and/or what God is, and how we are related to Him.

I was in agreement with you until the last sentence :) It's not hard to "willfully ignore" a concept that is supernatural (or man made) with no evidence for all the reasons that you list.

Are you kidding?

(for clarity this referred to my point that people don't become "unbelievers" in love.)

Again, if you can make this comment you missed my entire point. Either that or you are being insincere as I stated earlier.

Obviously I'm not saying that people don't fall out of love. Since that is obvious why would one think that maybe I was saying that? I was saying that unlike the concept of religion, the concept of love isn't something that people quit believing in.

When some gets a divorce they may quit loving their spouse. They don't become "an atheist" with regards to the concept of love.

Well obviously you are wrong, because there are people who make this comparison, and unless you are exerting some kind of elitism, by implying that these people are lying to themselves and others, and have no understanding of their own experiences at any time of their existence, and are completely devoid of reason and human intelligence, and pitting yourself and other like minds as the opposite, then you have no intelligent basis or right, to make that assumption.

Of course I do. If someone says that believing in God and being an unbeliever are both just belief systems and therefore comparable that's wrong. It doesn't matter how many people say it or how intelligent they are.

Having a hobby of playing chess isn't comparable to having a hobby of not playing chess.

That is nonsense. Of course you're not even taking into account the naturalistic process. From that perspective anything that occurs within nature is factual, but not the entire truth. So God must be factual, mental disorder must be factual, and everybody who is a product of nature, who expresses any opinion must be factual. To say this is wrong, and that is right is factual as long as it resides within the construct of nature.

You are attempting to use something, which you regard as a purely naturalist process, to counteract another purely naturalistic process. But i''m pretty sure that with a little thought you would know that that is not the case. You are using your intelligence, your conscious awareness, to make an observation about something other than your own intelligence. You are counteracting the naturalistic process with intervention, meaning that you see yourself as something other than that which you counteract. Otherwise what is the point of your intervention?

jan.

I'm not sure of your actual point here. What I see is part of the natural process, sure. Is what I think part of the natural process...maybe you're saying "no" ? I'd say "yes". What I think isn't tangible of course. Maybe this isn't where you were going as that would be a bit silly since we all have to interact with the natural world through our brain.

We are talking about the supernatural here though when we speak of God. There is no getting around that. Whether someone gets something else from associating with any God or religion (historical texts, communion with their fellow man, good works, etc) that is beside the point. Doing those things or having certain codes to live by...none of that requires believing in the supernatural which is a delusion. It's a delusion in the clinical sense if it's due to any reason other than religion.

Religion is an exception only because so many people are so deluded. I can make that statement without questioning anyone's intelligence. Religion is a cultural affliction. Human sacrifices were a cultural affliction as was slavery. If you and I were living during those time periods you could very well be making your same arguments to me.."are you saying that everyone else is uncaring, stupid, deluded just because they believe in human sacrifice and you don't...etc"

How many times do I have to say it - they are 100% true.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish? You dream. You see a town in flames and two years later there is a fire.

You go to the fire chief (and he is a Bob believer) and you say "your town will have a fire". So he is on the lookout due to your dream. However, nothing happens for two years.

How is your dream helpful to anyone?

You see planes crashing into buildings. You don't know when or where or what building so every government official in the world is on the lookout for airplanes crashing into buildings.

Again, how is your dream helpful to anyone?

If someone "gave" you this power I think "he" was messing with you.

@ Jan;

Just an observation, I've noticed you don't waver in your faith. I've had exchanges with you elsewhere, and you remain steadfast and constant. I may not agree with your beliefs, or why you believe what you do, but you have unshakeable faith, as they say. Who am I to judge you? It's just...well, interesting to me. And, while you can be dogmatic at times, your message comes across with respect.

FWIW, I just wanted to say that it's neat to see someone of faith like you, still exists. You really believe what you believe.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish? You dream. You see a town in flames and two years later there is a fire.

You go to the fire chief (and he is a Bob believer) and you say "your town will have a fire". So he is on the lookout due to your dream. However, nothing happens for two years.

How is your dream helpful to anyone?

You see planes crashing into buildings. You don't know when or where or what building so every government official in the world is on the lookout for airplanes crashing into buildings.

Again, how is your dream helpful to anyone?

If someone "gave" you this power I think "he" was messing with you.
Well that is a start, you read and understood the problem. No doubt, if it was going to be taken seriously like I think we should, it will be a matter of refining the questions when? and where?

You have to nip them in the bud a bit earlier than that too. If you see them flying toward the buildings is is nearly too late.
Who is training to be pilots that want to fly but are not interested in take off or landings? This was a feature that could have alerted to the WTC and Pentagon attacks

In the fire situation. Prevention: making sure vegetation is removed from close to houses. I wonder if there was lack of prevention in Marysville?

@ Jan;

Just an observation, I've noticed you don't waver in your faith. I've had exchanges with you elsewhere, and you remain steadfast and constant. I may not agree with your beliefs, or why you believe what you do, but you have unshakeable faith, as they say. Who am I to judge you? It's just...well, interesting to me. And, while you can be dogmatic at times, your message comes across with respect.

FWIW, I just wanted to say that it's neat to see someone of faith like you, still exists. You really believe what you believe.

I agree with you Wegs that Jan is one of the few with that point of view who at least appear to be intelligent with their views and ways of expressing themselves.

I'm not as impressed by the idea of "faith" as you are however. "Faith" sounds more noble than "pretending to know something that one doesn't know".

@ Jan;

Is it faith? Is it learned recital. You could recite a poem perfectly but not understand it or be emotionally moved by it.
Faith to me is buying the oil and doing the mileage, then knocking ... that takes faith.

I agree with you Wegs that Jan is one of the few with that point of view who at least appear to be intelligent with their views and ways of expressing themselves.

I'm not as impressed by the idea of "faith" as you are however. "Faith" sounds more noble than "pretending to know something that one doesn't know".

You should check out the thread in this section whereby the topic centers around if one can believe in God and still be a Darwinist. You'll see what I mean. It's a pretty interesting thread.

Re: faith. We all have faith in something. Some have faith in a Deity, some don't. Some have faith in humanity. Some have faith in self. Some have faith in love. Everyone has faith in something....

The neat thing about life is getting to a point where you just take an approach of... live and let live. That's all I really want. :m:
No desire to convince someone to understand why I've taken a different path, now. They can accept me or not.

Is it faith? Is it learned recital. You could recite a poem perfectly but not understand it or be emotionally moved by it.
Faith to me is buying the oil and doing the mileage, then knocking ... that takes faith.

I think if I could say one thing to you..it would be that you don't need to try so hard to get ppl to see your faith in Jesus. If Jesus is who you wish to be like, do it well and people will see it. :eek: You believe and that belief is your own...

You need to just accept that ppl will not think or believe as you do, and they are not "bad" for feeling the way they do.
:)

I think if I could say one thing to you..it would be that you don't need to try so hard to get ppl to see your faith in Jesus. If Jesus is who you wish to be like, do it well and people will see it. :eek: You believe and that belief is your own...

You need to just accept that ppl will not think or believe as you do, and they are not "bad" for feeling the way they do.
:)
I accept that. What I have learned though is that if you want a job done right sometimes you've got to do it yourself. (story on the BCS thread about this later)

I might seem pushy but I am discussing the subject with 5 or more people on different levels. With you, I tend to refer to historical things, which have no meaning to anyone else but you.

Back