Any atheists here who were once believers?

Invictus
By William Ernest Henley 1849–1903 William Ernest Henley (Who was sick much of his life, and never well off, but strong of spirit.)

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
I remember a shorter version of this poem that inspired me so deeply when I was in high school.

what are you doing exactly for us? i'd like to know. it's unclear to me.
It is like saying Jesus died for all of our sins. Yeah really! I wasn't even around; so how could he? Same with me, I am sacrificing my life to find the truth so that all may share the truth I discover.

Normal is within 1 standard deviation of the mean,
I could have gone to wiki myself if I wanted the mathematical answer, But I asked you personally what you thought was meant by normal, in a human context.
Robittybob1 said:
we aren't all the same.
No agreed, some of us are actually not edging on lunacy. Belief in god/gods is delusion as it matches the medical definition exactly, yet it gets a free pass and is considered normal! Go figure. Religious faith can never be considered rational.

I deleted all that. :eek: ;)
Oh well.
Religious freedom is a good thing, I agree. I don't think anyone here wants to take religious freedom away from anyone. It is when religion oversteps its boundaries, that becomes the problem.
Yeah, strangely enough there is this boundary, this neutral zone between religion and atheism, that has to be defended. I can defend the neutral zone, but I can't make in-roads. The faithful and their beliefs are worth defending; they are like merchants carrying spiritual treasure to others of faith.

We are all fighting over you really.
No, they're not. They are just showing support ...and even those who disagree with my views, they too have shown support and encouragement. I've seen the sentiments in a different light over the past few days, and I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of people here. I really am. Isn't it interesting how atheists AND religious/spiritual people are both equally generous in knowledge and advice? What does this show you?

At the end of the day, I think you worry over where many of us may be spending eternity, should we not follow what you do. But, I don't believe in that, anymore. So, just let it go...ok?
Just let it go. :eek:

I could have gone to wiki myself if I wanted the mathematical answer, But I asked you personally what you thought was meant by normal, in a human context.
No agreed, some of us are actually not edging on lunacy. Belief in god/gods is delusion as it matches the medical definition exactly, yet it gets a free pass and is considered normal! Go figure. Religious faith can never be considered rational.
I was surprised when they diagnosed me as being "normal"? I said, "are you sure?" "Yes, you are within the Standard deviation". I feel different but not abnormal. I doubt if there are many who have a story to tell like mine.

Robbitybob, Get your head straightened out. This is a religious-atheist discussion.
See how words trap you. "You" means everyone and also you as a singular person.

"religious-atheist discussion" = Christian verses atheist = Rob verses nemesis! still applies

No, they're not. They are just showing support ...and even those who disagree with my views, they too have shown support and encouragement. I've seen the sentiments in a different light over the past few days, and I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of people here. I really am. Isn't it interesting how atheists AND religious/spiritual people are both equally generous in knowledge and advice? What does this show you?

At the end of the day, I think you worry over where many of us may be spending eternity, should we not follow what you do. But, I don't believe in that, anymore. So, just let it go...ok?
Just let it go. :eek:
Allow the prophecy to come true, and I will.

I was surprised when they diagnosed me as being normal? I said are you sure? Yes you are withing the Standard deviation. I feel different but not abnormal. I doubt if there are many who have a story to tell like mine.
We all have personal tales of fantasy to tell. If your tales have some factual basis or can be proven, then and only then can they be considered. Else they remain just stories.

One thing that fundamentalism has accomplished is that it has forced academics and educators to explain to the confused students the history of the anti-science movement. Over the last 10-20 years the textbooks have had to set aside a page or two to this subject. Quite a few initiatives have been undertaken in teacher's associations, various societies of science professionals and the government organizations such as National Academy of Sciences, in order to try to counter the disinformation spread by Creation Science activists.

Some of this has been construed as anti-religious activism by scientists. It has led to the banning of books containing these explanations, and publishers have been forced to remove the material or lose their market. It effectively produced censorship in some cases. And as you know there have been countless lawsuits in the states controlled by Republican legislatures resulting from laws which, besides the main charges in the complaints, have encouraged the textbook selection committees to toe the party line.

If not for the dirty political tactics of the fundies I don't think any of this controversy would exist. There might still be some fear and loathing of atheism by Christians (as often expressed by Jan Ardena) but I doubt the atheists would have much of an axe to grind against religion, except for the remaining issues of abortion, stem cell research, climate science and gay rights. Beyond that would be those atheists scarred by clerics or indoctrination or for some other reason holding some kind of grudge. But I suspect it wouldn't involve science at that point.

I mention this since I'm guessing that any disparagement of religion by public schools is assumed to be coming from the science classrooms. This is probably not the case. Surveys have shown that some 40% of science teachers are religious, and we can expect that they are going to uphold their beliefs in front of the students should any religion-bashing arise. The remaining 60% are held in check by the somewhat rigid laws enacted to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen (rules anticipating backlash from atheist teachers).

Of course this has been going on for nearly 100 years now and it does seem to be losing steam. It remains to be seen whether the fundies are going to regroup and try some new tack to keep the pressure up. But it's hard to imagine what they are going to use for ammunition since it appears to have petered out.

In word, it's fundamentalism that is giving religion such a bad reputation.
And in the sea of confusion, is this gem of a post about activism, and fundamentalism. :D This is a great post, and I hadn't viewed things quite like this. I think that there's much work to be done, and both sides can learn from another. Our (U.S.) educational system used to be mainly centered around teaching objective truths, and not about pandering to political correctness and special interest groups. How'd we get here? :shrug:

Hi Wegs, about not ever believing in God, I think your case would be like mine where you believed very early on. Possibly, you began as an unbeliever, and believed sometime after toddlerhood when grown-ups told you about God. I recall staring at a crucifix on the wall very early in life with no idea of God. I was too young to even think deeply enough about causes for things that I didn't understand, so my "God center" didn't independently lead me to the idea of an invisible being who could do what basically amounts to magic.

Yes, elte... I suppose we all come to our own reconciliation with what we were taught as kids and what we now know and accept as 'truth'.

I was not "poking at Jan" only making an observation, even Jan probably agrees with. I.e. I said in post 1038:
"I see you have no interest in learning more about how the brain may work as well as about the strong EVIDENCE supporting evolution."

I might now add there are fields of knowledge, with strong supporting evidence, I have no interest in.

On evolution we have evidence that a mammal can evolve into a new smaller species (can not breed with original it evolved from) in only 8000 years! But that requires extreme selection pressure conditions for all the 8000 years. - Mainly at least half of all born dying by starvations as not as well adapted to their new environment as slightly smaller and slightly differently formed, (mostly more and longer facial hair / whisker sensors, to run thru space between rocks in the dark while searching for the rare eatable grass.) brothers and sisters. Here is old post (from 2009) found at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...evolution-II&p=2205207&viewfull=1#post2205207

-------
There are approximately 40 little animals, called Preá in Portuguese, living on tiny island called Moleques do Sul, which is about 8 km separated for a much larger Island called Florianopolis that have been studied by Pontifica Universidade Católic under leadership of Sandro Bonatto.

About 8000 years ago, these two islands were one as the sea level was much lower. The tiny island is about the size of a football field and mainly rocks. But has some grass on ~10% of it.

These Preá are so inbreed that DNA tests (type used in Brazil to determine disputed paternity, at least) cannot determine any differences. They are about half the size of the main island animals they evolved from during 8000 years of separation. Smaller size was favored by selection because of the very limited food supply. They are the only mammals on the tiny island and have no predators. - I.e. population is limited only by the lack of food for more than 40 but probably has been slightly increasing as they evolved to be ever smaller each 1000 years. (Probably no more than 20 of them lived after the connection to the main island was cut off 8000 years ago by the melting ice.)

They are now a new species (Cavia Intermedia) but closely related to Cavia Magna of the main island. They are about the size and shape of a small rat, but with a face that looks much like a monkey, or even human, and fur covered (except the feet) with no tail. Head and back fur is brown and belly fur is whitish grey.

Until they were discovered it was not thought by experts that a population of only 40 animals max could survive for thousands of years. They have, no doubt, lived all that time on the edge of extinction and practiced incestual mating with no ill effects, at least for the last 6000 or 7000 years. They are all now genetic identical. The ill effected off springs of inbreeding were selected out long ago as all live hungry on the edge of extinction at least in the mild winters. (Perhaps, like bears, they store fat during the summers - just my guess, not mentioned in the paper.)

Their tiny island is part of a state park, now with special protection - only qualified researchers can legally visit, but some fishing boats do at times. The great fear is that one will leave a cat on the island. - Then this recently evolved new species will go extinct.

There is a photo of one being held, belly up, easily in the palm of a hand on page A14 of the Folio de Paulo of 18 March 2009. It longer uploads, Here are some from a Google search:
images
This guy at left is obviously not on the edge of starvation now, but as I hoped in next 2009 paragraph: well feed and protected in captivity.
prea.jpg
4804824183_dd56587b67_z.jpg

Note the relatively powerful hid legs and "air born" "running." Those strong legs evolved for hoping / jumping over the rocks on 90+% of their tiny island.

These preá are sooo cute, with their little quasi-human quasi-monkey faces* peering out from great spread of surrounding facial hair. I bet they would make great pets. For protection of the species I hope some of the researchers think so also and steal a few for breading on the mainland and eventual sale as pets, before some fisherman's cat eats them all in less than a month.

-----------Note added in Sept 2013: Footnote below was based on the March 2009 newspaper photo. Perhaps some the flat hairless face was more due to lack of food for development than genes.
*The mostly hair free face is about the size of a lady's thumb nail, with no "snout." The eyes are slightly slanted, like an oriental's. If the nose has two opening, they are very close together. In photo the nearly flat nose and mouth look like an inverted T in a pink skin completely hairless area. I cannot be sure from the photo, but they appear to have only three strong toes. They are at the end of a a relatively long foot in the hind legs. - sort of like a rabbit's foot. I bet they do a lot of leaping hops over the rocks more than walking. The forelimbs are only half as large. They must have ears, but they are lost in the facial hair which makes their tiny heads appear to be almost as wide as their bodies. - No neck is visible.

Some of the above is also at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...volution-III&p=2672082&viewfull=1#post2672082 with posts at least to 581 discussions with earlier "anti-evolutionists" worth reading.

**bump**

If anyone missed this, it's pretty interesting. Thanks, Billy. :)

Isn't it interesting how atheists AND religious/spiritual people are both equally generous in knowledge and advice? What does this show you?

That humans have a deep need to be needed and that most men just want in your pants. :D

That humans have a deep need to be needed and that most men just want in your pants. :D

:eek: You're silly, chica!

I posted a south park vid clip in the jokes thread the other day. I thought to myself...Trooper would so love this. :D

:eek: You're silly, chica!

I posted a south park vid clip in the jokes thread the other day. I thought to myself...Trooper would so love this. :D

And who says that South Park isn't educational. My son said that the "Atheist War" clip was a must see for me. He was right. It was funny.

Back