Any atheists here who were once believers?

Let me rephrase it..

If you wish to take the Woo to the Woo Woo level, then please post in the appropriate forum (ie not the religion forum or any of the science forum, as you seem to have taken to spreading your Woo in the science subforum as well).
How do you separate "woo" from science? How do you separate "woo" from religion? For this "woo" as you call it is both me as scientist and as a religious person and as a normal everyday person.

If you think I am telling porkies pull me up but everything I say is 100% true.

Yeah, seriously, Bob has gone from standard religious crankery to genuine craziness. I'm sure we'd all appreciate if his lunacy were relegated to the proper subforums.

How do you separate "woo" from science? How do you separate "woo" from religion? For this "woo" as you call it is both me as scientist and as a religious person and as a normal everyday person.

If you think I am telling porkies pull me up but everything I say is 100% true.

Oh I strongly believe that you are hearing voices and that you feel your dreams predict the future or somehow guide your actions. I don't doubt you or that you are telling the truth.

What I do doubt is the origin of these voices and "powers".

Have you contacted anyone in the scientific community and gotten tested, for example? Have you, as Stryder suggested earlier in this thread, seen a doctor?

Heaving voices, having visions, etc, are often connected to those who suffer from some form of a psychotic disorder. Or they take medications or suffer from the excessive consumption of certain substances that can trigger such 'phenomenons'. I am not saying that you are crazy, a stoner, an alcoholic, etc. What I find bizarre is that you have allowed yourself to follow or be led by these voices, so much so that you are devoting years of your life, following these visions in your dreams or your voices about particular subjects. You claim you are waiting to get word to investigate or lend your powers to McCann's disappearance.

Word from whom?

What word?

What vision?

I don't mean any offense when I say this Robbitybob1, it is merely my attempt to reach out to someone who I believe may be in dire need of medical help.

But I think you need to speak to your doctor. And the sooner the better. Before you lose another 10 years of your life.

Oh I strongly believe that you are hearing voices and that you feel your dreams predict the future or somehow guide your actions. I don't doubt you or that you are telling the truth.

What I do doubt is the origin of these voices and "powers".

Have you contacted anyone in the scientific community and gotten tested, for example? Have you, as Stryder suggested earlier in this thread, seen a doctor?

Heaving voices, having visions, etc, are often connected to those who suffer from some form of a psychotic disorder. Or they take medications or suffer from the excessive consumption of certain substances that can trigger such 'phenomenons'. I am not saying that you are crazy, a stoner, an alcoholic, etc. What I find bizarre is that you have allowed yourself to follow or be led by these voices, so much so that you are devoting years of your life, following these visions in your dreams or your voices about particular subjects. You claim you are waiting to get word to investigate or lend your powers to McCann's disappearance.

Word from whom?

What word?

What vision?

I don't mean any offense when I say this Robbitybob1, it is merely my attempt to reach out to someone who I believe may be in dire need of medical help.

But I think you need to speak to your doctor. And the sooner the better. Before you lose another 10 years of your life.

Bells - thank you for such a nice post.

Let's start from the top.

"Have you contacted anyone in the scientific community and gotten tested, for example?" Yes not recently but 3 years ago I was asked to see a psychologist and she ran all the tests and I passed with normal results. The time before - the same results, the time before that the same result - completely normal. OK I have been wound-up over this "love feeling" but I'm getting over that now.
But what really riles me is the way Christians are treated on this forum so I'm going to try and change that.

"What I find bizarre is that you have allowed yourself to follow or be led by these voices, so much so that you are devoting years of your life, following these visions in your dreams or your voices about particular subjects."
Well back in 1990 I decided to follow my dreams as a life experiment, to see what would happen if a person did just that.
It is not easy, for you seem to be directed to do real odd things and basically I didn't do half of what I could have done. Like with Scott there was a two year gap between first being told and finally doing something about it.

I might want to be the hero with M McCann but it will only happen if I dream about it. So I am not waiting as such, but I would be ready.

"I am not saying that you are crazy, a stoner, an alcoholic..." No drugs or drink, and I have an important responsible job.

"Word from whom? What word? What vision?" I am a Christian who has dedicated my life to the Lord Jesus. So I believe they come from him as did the people in the NT days.

"so much so that you are devoting years of your life, following these visions in your dreams or your voices about particular subjects"
It might seem like a waste of time but the Lord has extended my life because of my devotion. I'm ten years younger than my age. No one can believe I'm 60 next week, they'd guess 50.

I've read through the thread since I logged out last night, and thanks to all who have taken the time to post about this topic. Leaving a religion is hard enough, but coming to terms with the fact that maybe you never really believed in a god all along (despite following a religion) is very sobering, to say the least. (thanks, Jan, for getting me to think about that, yesterday) Your question has been swirling in my mind, ever since you posted it. I have a tendency and it is a bad one, to ignore what I don't want to review about myself, life, etc. That question, I can't ignore. For it's not about the Bible, Christianity, and religion, and all the rest. It boils down to...did I ever really believe what I thought I did, all these years? Or was I merely in love with the idea of ''a god?'' That is where I'm at, and to wynn's point...do I feel this way, simply because I have such a bad taste in my mouth over Christianity? So, to use a hackneyed phrase, but one that suits ...'this is where the rubber meets the road' for me, now.

@ wynn, you presented some very insightful comments, especially relating to how my view of God and/or religion may have been solely shaped by my experiences in practicing Christianity. You've given me a lot to mull over, and I appreciate not only your candor, but you reaching out to me at all, as you have. Consistently. And I'm going to the bookstore today, to see if they have that book you recommended.

I'm heading out for a bit shortly, but will come back to your comments, and others here who have been just as open and thoughtful, with their ideas, thoughts, and opinions. A lot has been posted, and I need ample time to properly reciprocate.

Thx, everyone. :)

Make it count.

"Have you contacted anyone in the scientific community and gotten tested, for example?" Yes not recently but 3 years ago I was asked to see a psychologist and she ran all the tests and I passed with normal results. The time before - the same results, the time before that the same result - completely normal. OK I have been wound-up over this "love feeling" but I'm getting over that now.
But what really riles me is the way Christians are treated on this forum so I'm going to try and change that.
Please define normal! And while doing so please consider the fact that the world is four fifths religious. I.E. that have belief in things without any proof. Now what do you consider normal the general consensus. I.E. People of a religious persuasion. Or the the small percentage of people who live in the real world. That other fifth. Your normal tag comes from the general consensus. Just because it's common does not make it right, that is an Argumentum ad populum.

... consider the fact that the world is four fifths religious. That other fifth. Your normal tag comes from the general consensus. Just because it's common does not make it right, that is an Argumentum ad populum.
Also you should note that the "religious" hold a very diverse collection of beliefs with considerable contradiction of each other. Probably more believe in earthly re-incarnation than in a heaven, etc. The main point of unity is that socially desirable behavior, (don't steal, kill, cheat, etc.) is rewarded with better living condition in the postulated "next" or only after life you will get. This adds the civil authorities keep their society stronger, so is generally encouraged.

Christians, like Robittybob1 who turn to god and follow his guidance (via signs or heard voices) are surely less than 0.1% of the human population. The vast majoriy of "Christians" are nominally that, not real believers. For example I'm agnostic but when forced to check a box on some government form, I check "Christian."
(I've never have seen a form with agnostic or atheists as an available choice but even if I did, I'd check Christian, to avoid trouble.)*

I'm reminded of this joke:
A rabbi is complaining to a priest about the problem of rats in his Synagogue. Priest says: I had that problem too, but after I baptized them they only show up at Christmas and Easter.

* One Curse, often reported to be Chinese, is: May you come to the attention of the authorities.

Check boxes. Why don't you not tick any of them?
I have not had that problem recently, but if I did it would probably be task of filling in form on a computer, not a paper form. It has been my experience* that if I leave a part of form blank, after hitting the "send" button, I get a red msg telling me to please complete the form.

* Quite commonly there is a pull down list of states and no way to tell "None of the above" or "Brazil" so I just pick one to be able to continue.

Seattle,

I've noticed that in these arguments the religious person (whether they know it or not) is generally insincere with their arguments.

in·sin·cere adjective \ˌin-sin-ˈsir, -sən-\
: not expressing or showing true feelings : not sincere

Okay.

This is because their mind isn't really open to change regardless of how the argument goes so they are just trying to win a debating point.

For example, when they say that believing in God and atheism are both just differing beliefs. They know that not believing in something isn't just a different belief but they make this argument anyway.

I gave an example earlier that gave some clarity (i think) to this concern, maybe you missed it.

My point was: I do not believe in eating flesh and blood animals, but I believe that sacrifising them for the pleasure of of our pallete expresse a lack of outstanding human qualities like compassion and empathy. IOW, my atheism (so to speak) of eating flesh and blood animals, is connected to my belief (theism) that to do so for no other reason than for our pleasure, somehow diminishes good qualities that can be used to make the society we live in more humane. Now I'm not interested in the claim I'm making (so please don't digress). The argument that ''atheism'' is nothing more than a lack of belief falls down unless you are okay with being classed as mindless numpties without reason, and I doubt that.

If they were having a serious argument with their kids (about something important) they wouldn't use such insincere logic. Therefore they don't really believe most of their arguments.

I'd love to hear your version of one of ''their arguments''.

My second point is this. Religious people frequently make the argument that not everything is material, something that we can touch and see and therefore they are implying that religion or God is the same and are just as real.

I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of ''Religion'' and ''God'', and what that means to different people. Once you do that, you will be able to see the basis of those religious traditions, because as it stands at this moment, all the talk is aimed at Evangelical Christianity, as if that is the be all end all of religious tradition. What is worse, I find, is that you are not even prepared (like evangelical christians) to venture out into the broader picture. You are completely content with the idea, that a rebuttal of of these views is sufficient to cover all religious tradition (and more importantly the scriptural origins).

The examples are generally God and love. Everyone knows, believes, feels love. They say they experience God in the same way and therefore God is just as real.

Again, this is just a gimmick however. Comparing God and love is comparing apples and oranges. There is no connection.

Again you appear inapreciative of the broad dynamic range of ''Love'', by simply comparing it to ''apples and oranges''. I think a good measure of it's dynamic range can be likened to the range of colours and shades, and of the harmonic content expressed with intention, within the vibetory aspects of frequency. We know that threre exist three primary colours, and seven notes of the harmonic scale, but the variation which can be produced with active intention is infinitesimal.

People believe in God and then sometimes later in life they no longer believe in God. At one point they may claim to see him and talk to him and say that he is just as real (to them) as love.

Later they may no longer be a believer. They still believe in love however. No one becomes a non-believer in love.

But, if ''Love'' was being quanified as nothing more than a chemical reaction that occurs in the brain, as an evolutionary, survivalistic process (which I believe it is in some circles, or definately used to be), then to believe in ''Love'' as something other than a materialistic process, is no different than believing in God.

One thing to note here is that, saying ''I believe in God'' is not the same as actually believing in God. So again it bolis down to what is God. The explicit atheist is at home with the idea that God is an arbitary concept, one that is concoted for the sole purpose of explaining why the world is the way it is, and how it came to be. This shows what their idea of God is, and within this idea everything beyond it is superfluous. It is just a construct to support that notion. That being said, there is no need to understand anything more about the scripture, the process of invention of such a concept is simply an evolution of earlier, more primitive ideas. It is therefore understandable how one can think one believes in God at some point in their life (before information explosion), but due to modern scientific development have no more need for that pacifier. But this is only successful because of the wilful ignorance of who, and/or what God is, and how we are related to Him.

Even among fairly hard core believers they say that they have doubts and that it's even healthy to have doubts. They say they want "thinking" believers and it only makes them stronger.

However, there are no people who sometimes "have doubts" regarding love.

Are you kidding?

It's just not an honest comparison and that's my point. They aren't really being open and they aren't trying to be intellectually honest in these debates.

Well obviously you are wrong, because there are people who make this comparison, and unless you are exerting some kind of elitism, by implying that these people are lying to themselves and others, and have no understanding of their own experiences at any time of their existence, and are completely devoid of reason and human intelligence, and pitting yourself and other like minds as the opposite, then you have no intelligent basis or right, to make that assumption.

The only people who would do that are people who actually aren't sure and are having some cognitive dissonance regarding religion (as most anyone would have to have on such a subject unless they were totally delusional).

That is nonsense. Of course you're not even taking into account the naturalistic process. From that perspective anything that occurs within nature is factual, but not the entire truth. So God must be factual, mental disorder must be factual, and everbody who is a product of nature, who expresses any opinion must be factual. To say this is wrong, and that is right is factual as long as it resides within the constuct of nature.

You are attempting to use something, which you regard as a purely naturalist process, to counteract another purealy naturalistic process. But i''m pretty sure that with a little thought you would know that that is not the case. You are using your intelligence, your conscious awareness, to make an observation about something other than your own intelligence. You are counteracting the naturalisitic process with intervention, meaning that you see yourself as something other than that which you counteract. Otherwise what is the point of your intervention?

jan.

I was asked to see a psychologist and she ran all the tests and I passed with normal results.

But, you obviously didn't inform the psychologist you hear voices in your head telling you to go out and do things, that is not normal, that is a mental disorder. So, you are either not telling the truth here, or that psychologist got their degree from an online mill.

The time before - the same results, the time before that the same result - completely normal.

I seriously doubt you're telling the truth about this.

How Christians are treated? Is that supposed to be a joke? You mean the atrocious way Christianity treats mankind, societies and individuals?

I am a Christian who has dedicated my life to the Lord Jesus. So I believe they come from him as did the people in the NT days.

The people in the NT days obviously have mental disorders, as well. They just weren't recognized as such back then. Seek professional help and tell them the truth about your psychosis.

Robbitybob1,
This is not a healthy environment to spend your time. Most of the people here intellectually defective, emotionally defective and spiritually defective; and when they leave this world someday, they will find themselves in the spirit world facing an uncertain eternity.

Robbitybob1,
This is not a healthy environment to spend your time. Most of the people here intellectually defective, emotionally defective and spiritually defective; and when they leave this world someday, they will find themselves in the spirit world facing an uncertain eternity.

Your ridiculous religious threats are a joke, they are as laughable as they are childish. You can prop yourself up by calling us defective if you wish, but it only serves to show just how desperate you are for attention.

Please define normal! And while doing so please consider the fact that the world is four fifths religious. I.E. that have belief in things without any proof. Now what do you consider normal the general consensus. I.E. People of a religious persuasion. Or the the small percentage of people who live in the real world. That other fifth. Your normal tag comes from the general consensus. Just because it's common does not make it right, that is an Argumentum ad populum.
Normal is within 1 standard deviation of the mean, we aren't all the same.

It looks like the folks on the WoodenBoat Forum are telling you exactly the same thing as everyone else here, ie. confirmation bias, cherry picking, probability statistics, etc. You just never learn.
What is the the probability of impossible?

Back