Any atheists here who were once believers?

Then you obviously cannot read. Sadducees, or Jews as they are also known, believed in God, just not in the Christian definition of God and the angels impregnating a teenage girl version of God, for example. The idiocy spouted by some of you is astounding. What part of 'we're atheists' confuses you? What part of 'we don't believe there is a God, let alone Jesus Christ' don't you understand? What part of 'we believe the bible is a fabrication and there is clear evidence that the religious figures so many hold dear and true were actually suffering from psychotic disorders', do you have issues grasping?
Bells,
I will engage you atheists views. Given the absence of a good explanation for the bb/singularity, one has to ask, "where are all the other universes"? Why can't we detect them?

Bells,
I will engage you atheists views. Given the absence of a good explanation for the bb/singularity, one has to ask, "where are all the other universes"? Why can't we detect them?

Where is that facey fellow now? He should be here to see you employing a God of the Gaps argument.

Then you obviously cannot read.

Sadducees, or Jews as they are also known, believed in God, just not in the Christian definition of God and the angels impregnating a teenage girl version of God, for example.

The idiocy spouted by some of you is astounding.

What part of 'we're atheists' confuses you?

What part of 'we don't believe there is a God, let alone Jesus Christ' don't you understand?

What part of 'we believe the bible is a fabrication and there is clear evidence that the religious figures so many hold dear and true were actually suffering from psychotic disorders', do you have issues grasping?
Are you the moderator of the Religion subsection, or the Atheist subsection?

I said "so maybe they didn't believe in God either?" "Maybe" means I'm unsure, for if they didn't believe in Spirits how could they believe in God?
"What part of 'we're atheists' confuses you?" All of it for I don't know who is included in the subset "we". Who are "we"?
"What part of 'we don't believe there is a God, let alone Jesus Christ' don't you understand?" I have not much trouble understanding that provided I know who "we" are. Note: But I don't share that belief.

"What part of 'we believe the bible is a fabrication and there is clear evidence that the religious figures so many hold dear and true were actually suffering from psychotic disorders', do you have issues grasping?" Did I miss this before? Had you stated this before?

Are you the moderator of the Religion subsection, or the Atheist subsection?
Neither.
I said "so maybe they didn't believe in God either?" "Maybe" means I'm unsure, for if they didn't believe in Spirits how could they believe in God?
Jews don't believe in spirits either. Are you going to question whether they believe in God as well?

"What part of 'we're atheists' confuses you?" All of it for I don't know who is included in the subset "we". Who are "we"?
We encompasses all atheists, especially those in this thread.
"What part of 'we don't believe there is a God, let alone Jesus Christ' don't you understand?" I have not much trouble understanding that provided I know who "we" are. Note: But I don't share that belief.
You don't share that belief, yet you demand others believe as you do, or convert to your belief system. Perhaps you believe that is the only way they can be saved?

You understand, I would assume, that atheists do not share or believe in the existence of any god, spirit, afterlife or anything spiritual. We, and by we, I mean atheists, do not believe in religion, nor are we religious, as you seem to believe we are.

"What part of 'we believe the bible is a fabrication and there is clear evidence that the religious figures so many hold dear and true were actually suffering from psychotic disorders', do you have issues grasping?" Did I miss this before? Had you stated this before?
It has been discussed repeatedly in the Religion forum.

Bells,
Do you understand what hypothesis means?

If you are going to bring up multiverse hypothesis as proof that God exists, then you have failed terribly. Unless of course you wish to discuss that the concept of God is a hypothesis, since there is absolutely no evidence that God exists, aside from the rantings of people scientists now recognise were probably suffering from schizophrenia and suffering delusions as a result of their psychotic disorder.

God of the gaps gets the job done.

No it doesn't. It hasn't in a long time. Do you even know where the term "God of the Gaps" comes from? It comes from Christian theologians. They realized that science has a track record of filling in the gaps in our understanding, and used it as a warning against using teleological arguments to attempt to prove the existence of God. Three hundred years ago, deism was about as far as one could get from faith while maintaining their intellectual integrity. Today, God is pushed back to pre-Big Bang conjecture and rendered utterly useless to our understanding of the natural world. Three hundred years from now, who's to say how much further back he'll be. Maybe we'll have disproved his existence by then. What I can tell you is that many of our currently open questions will have been answered, and your arguments will look ancient.

No he isn't. He's making an observation based on a pattern of behavior, one that more than a few people here would agree with.

Why is it that the most vitriolic zealots are the most sensitive? I mean, seriously, Jan. You trash opposing worldviews and the people who hold them on a regular basis, and you're always the first to cry foul any time you see an opportunity.

I don't trash opposing worldviews.

jan.

Neither.

Jews don't believe in spirits either. Are you going to question whether they believe in God as well?

We encompasses all atheists, especially those in this thread.

You don't share that belief, yet you demand others believe as you do, or convert to your belief system. Perhaps you believe that is the only way they can be saved?

You understand, I would assume, that atheists do not share or believe in the existence of any god, spirit, afterlife or anything spiritual. We, and by we, I mean atheists, do not believe in religion, nor are we religious, as you seem to believe we are.

It has been discussed repeatedly in the Religion forum.
You have tried to moderate in this forum and this is the "Religion Subforum" and as far as I know there is no "Atheist subforum". I am wondering how you can be fair if you hold the view there should really be no religions for as an atheist you don't believe in spirits, angels or even some distant God. Can you be fair when you hold such a polarized view?
Where you say about me "yet you demand others believe as you do, or convert to your belief system. Perhaps you believe that is the only way they can be saved?", shows bias for I don't recall saying anything even close to that.

Whether atheists are "religious" is something I'm going to look into. They certainly like preaching, and they are zealous.

I have spent years studying the Early Christian church, so in the process I learned there were the Sadducees, the Pharisees and the Essenes as the three religious groups in Israel at that time. The Sadducees were more like the atheists, and Pharisees like Christians of today and the Essenes were more like me (Gnostic).

If you are going to bring up multiverse hypothesis as proof that God exists, then you have failed terribly. Unless of course you wish to discuss that the concept of God is a hypothesis, since there is absolutely no evidence that God exists, aside from the rantings of people scientists now recognise were probably suffering from schizophrenia and suffering delusions as a result of their psychotic disorder.
I think that is a bit unfair.

You have tried to moderate in this forum and this is the "Religion Subforum" and as far as I know there is no "Atheist subforum". I am wondering how you can be fair if you hold the view there should really be no religions for as an atheist you don't believe in spirits, angels or even some distant God. Can you be fair when you hold such a polarized view?

I am an atheist. That is correct. However you have missed one important thing. I moderate people's actions, not their beliefs.

Where you say about me "yet you demand others believe as you do, or convert to your belief system. Perhaps you believe that is the only way they can be saved?", shows bias for I don't recall saying anything even close to that.
I don't know. How many have you managed to convince or "test" that the virgin Mary had twins? Or do you live in hope that people will just "get it"? Or still trying to fight that battle?
Whether atheists are "religious" is something I'm going to look into. They certainly like preaching, and they are zealous.
Takes all kinds.

Just as their are some theists who like to live their own lives without preaching and aren't zealots, there are some who constantly preach, try to 'save people' and are zealots.

I have spent years studying the Early Christian church, so in the process I learned there were the Sadducees, the Pharisees and the Essenes as the three religious groups in Israel at that time. The Sadducees were more like the atheists, and Pharisees like Christians of today and the Essenes were more like me (Gnostic).
Then you would be wrong.

Religions involve rituals, beliefs in God or an afterlife, and prayers.
Having a disbelief and an aversion to these things does not make you religious.
Having a dislike of all things to do with ballet, and not being able to dance a step, will not make you a ballet dancer.

I think that religious people say this in order to annoy atheists, and it works.

Last edited:
I am an atheist. That is correct. However you have missed one important thing. I moderate people's actions, not their beliefs......
Can you show me what you mean by "actions", for I'm thinking all you can see are "words" really.
What sort of actions are you talking about?

Emoticons do they count? Are they actions or words?

Religions involve rituals, beliefs in God or an afterlife, and prayers.
Having a disbelief and an aversion to these things does not make you religious.

Having a dislike of all things to do with ballet, and not being able to dance a step, will not make you a ballet dancer.
Would you qualify to judge ballet? Or to teach or moderate a ballet forum?

God is my heat shield and your hatred of religion is really not my priority. I am a Spiritualist and I believe that spirits, as well as other invisible/undetectable things, are allowed by nature and the laws of physics to exist. Since you don't know what caused the big bang, I am free to hypothesize the existence of invisible/undetectable mechanisms that caused it. Once again, I ask where are all the other universes that should have been created as well, why can't we detect them? I hypothesize that souls and space-time continuums have some properties in common including "not destroyed by entropy", immortality (they exist forever) and they are both information transmission systems (consciousness). Sure it's a hypothesis, but Spiritualism has no "grandfather paradox", even if efforts to prove it have been frustrated. The idea is that souls are tiny universes that connect to the space-time continuum in a natural process known as "reincarnation". I believe that science can't prove it today, but might be able to prove it some day.

Back