Woman throws cat in bin!

Some people are absent minded.
They put the cat in the fridge and give catfood to a bottle of milk.

Semi wild cats are not as bad as semi wild dogs.
Some people let their dogs loose and they hunt in packs,
occasionally badly biting people.

I bet she'd never have got a pit bull into the bin.

I'm beginning to agree with you.
We are so used to seeing cats semi wild that we don't think about it.

Thanks for reading my posts. I can get long winded sometimes :)

I still think back to the neighbor with the obedience trained cat with awe. I consider myself lucky to have been exposed to the idea of cat training at that young of an age.

Bullshit. The blame lies solely with the spiteful old hag that put the cat in the bin.

Not all cats are the same. Some laze around indoors, some are hardly ever in. I have three cats, and their behaviour varies.

You are responsible for the environment your cats behave in. Dont want spiteful old hags dropping your cat in the wheelie bin, keep them away from spiteful old hags walking down the public street.

You are responsible for the environment your cats behave in. Dont want spiteful old hags dropping your cat in the wheelie bin, keep them away from spiteful old hags walking down the public street.

Utter bullshit. Naive too. There are so many things wrong with your attitude. Come back when you grow up.

Originally Posted by milkweed
You are responsible for the environment your cats behave in. Dont want spiteful old hags dropping your cat in the wheelie bin, keep them away from spiteful old hags walking down the public street. ”

Utter bullshit. Naive too. There are so many things wrong with your attitude. Come back when you grow up.

Yes milkweed... how dare you'r childish atitude of suggestin that people be responsible for the enviroment of ther cats :bugeye:

"That said, any moron who lets his cat wander freely deserves to lose it. It is the owners responsibility to keep their pet as safe as possible and to let your pet roam freely is animal neglect."

what if you live out in the country and your cat is trained to come back?

"That said, any moron who lets his cat wander freely deserves to lose it. It is the owners responsibility to keep their pet as safe as possible and to let your pet roam freely is animal neglect."

Is the cat safer roamin in the country than in the city.???

Semi wild cats are not as bad as semi wild dogs.
Some people let their dogs loose and they hunt in packs,
occasionally badly biting people.

and EATING OTHER ANIMALS so yeah packs of dogs in the city and cars on the road i think the cat would be safer in the country

and EATING OTHER ANIMALS so yeah packs of dogs in the city and cars on the road i think the cat would be safer in the country

They get run over in the country, because they don't have road sense.
You don't often see animals run over in the city.
Even hedgehogs, once famed for their ill fated defence of rolling into a ball, have now adjusted their behaviour.

Killing other animals. A point not previously raised.
I don't know how many birds the average cat kills in the UK, but if it was only one each per year that would be 10 million.
The Mammal society estimates 300 Million total animals killed, but a lot of these would be mice and rats and other vermin.

Idea.
If cat binning becomes rife, perhaps bins should be fitted with cat flaps.

Last edited:

# Indoor cats generally live from 12-18 years of age. Many may live to be in their early 20s. The oldest reported cat was 28 years old at the time of death.

# Outdoor cats generally live to be around four to five years of age. Their deaths are typically due to traumas such as being hit by a car or dog attacks. Outdoor cats are also more susceptible to several deadly viruses that are spread by fighting or prolonged intimate contact with an infected cat.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/life-expectancy-in-cats/page1.aspx

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/f/lifespan_cats.htm

http://www.ctaudubon.org/conserv/nature/cats.htm

Letting your cat roam decreases its life expectancy by at least 1/2. If you trained your cat to come home in the morn, why not train it to stay at home.

@Milkweed.

A feral cat, with no owner, will only live a few years in the UK.
They eat unsuitable food, are not treated for injuries, need to constantly fight, are out on freezing cold nights etc etc.

Your figure of 12 to 18 years lifespan would be about what you would expect for normal housecats in the UK which are allowed to come and go as they please.
If they want an easy life, they just stick to the garden or stay indoors.

It may be different in the US.
Perhaps more cats in the US are pedigree cats, or there are other factors.

# Outdoor cats generally live to be around four to five years of age. Their deaths are typically due to traumas such as being hit by a car or dog attacks. Outdoor cats are also more susceptible to several deadly viruses that are spread by fighting or prolonged intimate contact with an infected cat.

What a load of tosh. I have three cats that are allowed to roam as they please outside, one is 12 years old, and the other two 10 years old.

Keeping a cat inside permanently is cruel in my mind. We would accept never walking would be cruel. Cats need to get outside too. It's their nature. Let them live properly, or don't get one.

@Milkweed.

A feral cat, with no owner, will only live a few years in the UK.
They eat unsuitable food, are not treated for injuries, need to constantly fight, are out on freezing cold nights etc etc.

Your figure of 12 to 18 years lifespan would be about what you would expect for normal housecats in the UK which are allowed to come and go as they please.
If they want an easy life, they just stick to the garden or stay indoors.

It may be different in the US.
Perhaps more cats in the US are pedigree cats, or there are other factors.

You are making the claim that somehow cats in the UK have an easier time of it than cats elsewhere. There is no evidence cats in the uk live longer than cats in the US, or Australia or anywhere else when allowed to roam vs being cared for full time.

"Veterinary medicine has made some great advances in recent years, and this is one of the reasons the average life expectancy of domestic cats is increasing. A well cared for cat that is kept indoors and is fed a good nutritional diet, would be expected to live for about 15 years.

Cats that are kept strictly as indoor only cats stand a better chance of living to a ripe old age than cats that are allowed outside. The reasons for this are many. Outdoor cats face danger from traffic, from being attacked by other cats or by other animals. They run increased risk of being accidentally poisoned by pesticides or deliberately poisoned by malicious humans. Outdoor cats are also at risk from catching feline diseases particularly from the feral cat population."

http://www.lapcat.co.uk/healthandbehaviour/how-long-will-my-cat-live.html

I find no supporting documentation of your claim regarding indoor cats vs roaming cats and life expectancy in the UK (note above link is UK). The links I displayed are specific in the 12-18 years is for indoor cats, not roaming cats.

There must be a difference, because an indoor/outdoor British cat lives a lot longer than five years.

They don't really have any predators in the UK.
Except children maybe.

They deal with traffic too, but not on high speed roads.
I am talking about the English moggie, not pedigrees.

The following is a balanced article on the subject.
Read it , and see what you think.
http://www.optimail.com.au/berrime/inoutcats.htm

Last edited:
"Veterinary medicine has made some great advances in recent years, and this is one of the reasons the average life expectancy of domestic cats is increasing. A well cared for cat that is kept indoors and is fed a good nutritional diet, would be expected to live for about 15 years.

Earlier you cited 20 year lifespans for indoor cats, now it's just 15? Make your mind up, and quote consistent sources please.

The RSPCA in the UK have this to say about the matter btw;

"Currently there is no definitive knowledge regarding whether being an indoor-only cat is any better or worse than being one who has access to the outdoors." (http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/cats/environment/indoors)

And you can go suck the lumps from a litter box, noob.

U HAZ BIN PWNED, LOLZ!

Capt K said:
There must be a difference, because an indoor/outdoor British cat lives a lot longer than five years.
Those are average life spans. On a personal level one can see variables.

I have to assume you had as much difficulty finding links regarding the avg life span of indoor vs outdoor UK cats as I did. Because of this, it seems we must use the other countries and their sources, which all are in agreement, the average lifespan of a cat is shortened by being allowed to roam freely.

Note also that I am not saying no cat should be outside, my own cats are out on leads under supervision (IE windows open so I can hear things going on, people at home). I am against letting cats roam freely across property lines, and into the street. Owned cats need to be confined just like any other domestic animal. You want the pet, you take responsibility for it and part of that responsibility is keeping your animal home (on your property) or on a leash/lead when in public.

Capt K said:
The following is a balanced article on the subject.
Read it , and see what you think.
http://www.optimail.com.au/berrime/inoutcats.htm
Focusing on the outdoor argument, first I see wide generalization. Most people who argue that cats must be allowed to roam have never kept indoor only or leash, pen cats. It is assumed the cat is unhappy. When my cat is begging to go out on her lead and the weather is wrong, I do one of two things, let her on the porch to explore or put a paper bag on the floor for her to play in.

It is not natural to confine cats.
- This arguement can be made for each and every domestic animal. A fish tank is not a natural area (no wild fish I am aware of limits its movement to a x-liter sized area when given a larger option and most aquarium fish are wilds bred in captivity). Horses, cattle, chickens, dogs. Doesnt matter what type of animal it is, but confine them we do.

It is cruel to confine cats
Subjective. Define cruel, define confined.
"many cats only truly come alive once out of doors, also they do so love the night." I would offer this counterpoint. Many dogs only truely come alive once out of doors where they do so love to chase cats (or squirrels, bunnies, deer, etc).

Outdoor cats are healthier.
Even the author makes the reader aware of the conditions surrounding this claim. I agree that indoor cats can become obese, but again, that is owner irresponsibility. I know plenty of indoor cats who do not have this issue, but the cats have a scheduled feeding time, with portions measured out rather than food placed out continually. I also know indoor-outdoor cats with weight issues (again, its cats with unlimited food sources and usually older as metabolisms and activity change).

Outdoor cats become streetwise
The ones who survive the dangers may become 'streetwise'. This of course is no guarentee they will not make a mistake and end up street dead.

Outdoor cats don't need litter boxes.
They poop and pee somewhere. Like the neighbors garden. You dont have a right too relieve yourself on the neighbors lawn, nor does your dog, nor does your kid and nor does your cat.

Outdoor cats don’t scratch the furniture.
"Well, not as much anyway, and some never do." the author clairifies. Again, I know indoor cats who have been trained to use their post only for scratching. But the owners took the time to train their cat.

Found a link on the European Animal Welfare Act:

Article 1 – Definitions

1. By pet animal is meant any animal kept or intended to be kept by man in particular in his household for private enjoyment and companionship.
5. By a stray animal is meant a pet animal which either has no home or is outside the bounds of its owner's or keeper's household* and is not under the control or direct supervision of any owner or keeper.

*I read household as property.

Article 4 – Keeping

1. Any person who keeps a pet animal or who has agreed to look after it, shall be responsible for its health and welfare.
2. Any person who is keeping a pet animal or who is looking after it shall provide accommodation, care and attention which take account of the ethological needs of the animal in accordance with its species and breed, in particular:
1. give it suitable and sufficient food and water;
2. provide it with adequate opportunities for exercise;
3. take all reasonable measures to prevent its escape;

http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/Treaties/Html/125.htm

Those are average life spans. On a personal level one can see variables.

Nope, it's unsubstantiated, and easily refuted by personal experience.

When my cat is begging to go out on her lead and the weather is wrong,

When you cat is 'begging' to go out, and you don't want the inconvenience of getting wet, the cat loses out.

You are lazy. You shouldn't own pets.

I have cats and dogs. My cats are allowed free access to the house using a cat flap. I walk my dogs even if it is raining, because they _want_ to go out, despite the rain.

YOU ARE LAZY AND YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS PETS IS GEARED AROUND YOUR CONVENIENCE AND NOT THEIR NEEDS. YOU SUCK.

Back