Why Priest Can't Marry?

Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

Originally posted by Raithere
The RCC attitude regarding women seems to stem largely from to Paul's apparent misogyny.

1 Corinthians 14:34
The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

1 Timothy 2:11-12
A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.
But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

http://www.crosscurrents.org/eisenbaum.htm
http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/women.html

This, of course, is not a complete explanation but it does reference the central position of the RCC:

The Vatican's primary reasoning is as follows: "the position of the Catholic Church: "She holds that it is not admissible to ordain women to the priesthood, for very fundamental reasons. These reasons include: the example recorded in the Sacred Scriptures of Christ choosing his Apostles only from among men; the constant practice of the Church, which has imitated Christ in choosing only men; and her living teaching authority which has consistently held that the exclusion of women from the priesthood is in accordance with God's plan for his Church."

Here's the full text right from Pope John Paul himself.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/j...i_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

~Raithere

** I hope this wasn't the excuse or apology for the actions of the R.C.C.

Re: Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

Originally posted by Lady
** I hope this wasn't the excuse or apology for the actions of the R.C.C.
I would have thought my position rather apparent when I called Paul a misogynist.

~Raithere

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

Originally posted by Raithere
I would have thought my position rather apparent when I called Paul a misogynist.

~Raithere

** Yet the R.C.C idolizes Mary, a woman ,however, women at the pulpit and marriage are two different issues. If this was the justification statement for child molestation its twisted. I don't know if Islam or Catholicism is worse

Last edited:
Lady, it is really sad how the world is filled with lies floating around, thats why it is very important to seek God and have personal relationship with him.

Listen Ill give u a basic understanding.
Roman Catholic church.....

It is called "Roman" because it is first founded in Rome Italy, where St. Paul and st. Peter evangelizes, the place where the Roman pagans fed St. Paul to the lions and nailed St. Peter to a cross upside down as he requested, because according to him he is not worthy to be crucified like Jesus...
"Catholic", this is latin for the word "Universal" because Jesus appointed them to preach the gospel throughout the world, gentiles or jews, women or men...
"Church", because it is a "community of believers"...

"Christian", it means "disciples of Christ", in other words "students of Christ", Is st. Peter and st. Paul disciples of Christ? Yes, is Martin Luther a roman catholic, a student of Christ? Yes, R.C.C is a Christian..
LADY, I BET YOU ARE ANOTHER VICTIM OF LIES OUT THERE, I BET YOU ARE TOLD BY YOUR PASTOR OR SOMEBODY THAT WE ARE THE DEVILS, AND WE ARE CHILD MOLESTERS AND WE WORSHIP THE POPE THINKING THE POPE IS GOD, AND WORSHIP MARY AS GOD, AND CATHOLICS ARE ALL GOING TO HELL. LIES ARE WIDESPREAD.....ITS A DISEASE...THE TRUTH IS NOT WELCOME IN THIS WORLD...

1. Listen, we donot worship Mary as God, you heard of the rosary? THE ROSARY IS TAKEN OUT OF THE BIBLE, WHEN THE ANGEL GABRIEL SAID TO MARY "HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE THE LORD IS WITH YOU, BLESSED ARE YOU AMONG WOMEN" did the angel worship Mary as God? That is written in the book of Luke, we follow that and have HUGE RESPECT FOR THE MOTHER OF JESUS, do you respect her? I know I do, and the angels as well, even Jesus respects his mother.

2. St. Peter, have the same authority as Jesus on earth. Jesus handed it over to him. Jesus said "Peter you are my rock upon my rock I will build my church and not the gates of hell shall prevail againstt it, whatever u bound on earth will be bound on heaven, whatever u loose on earth will be loosed in heaven".
jesus also said "Full authority has been given to me by the father, so as the father has sent me so I send you", He even said "For this you can do greater things than I".
St. Peter if he bound something on earth, that inturn also will b bound in heaven, Jesus said it, he dont lie.
St. Peter before he died, he handed over his authority to the future Pope, therefore that inturn is also bound in heaven, so the Pope now have the same authority as st. Peter, again Jesus said it, whatever he bind on earth will b bound in heaven, Jesus is not lying. Thats why till this day, the vatican holds the tomb of St. Peter....

whatsupyall

I am waiting for the list of Religious Texts and scriptures you have researched upon (of religions that you know of).
...without too many pages and the CAPS please

ultitruth, ill get back with u, yur asking a deep question which requires a deep answer, ill get the answer, just hold on

[

Whasupyall,

St. Peter before he died, he handed over his authority to the future Pope, therefore that inturn is also bound in heaven, so the Pope now have the same authority as st. Peter, again Jesus said it, whatever he bind on earth will b bound in heaven, Jesus is not lying. Thats why till this day, the vatican holds the tomb of St. Peter.... [/B][/QUOTE]

** I heard the Vatican holds many tombs and it cost a heafy amount.;)

"Christian", it means "disciples of Christ", in other words "students of Christ", Is st. Peter and st. Paul disciples of Christ? Yes, is Martin Luther a roman catholic, a student of Christ? Yes, R.C.C is a Christian..
LADY, I BET YOU ARE ANOTHER VICTIM OF LIES OUT THERE, I BET YOU ARE TOLD BY YOUR PASTOR OR SOMEBODY THAT WE ARE THE DEVILS, AND WE ARE CHILD MOLESTERS AND WE WORSHIP THE POPE THINKING THE POPE IS GOD, AND WORSHIP MARY AS GOD, AND CATHOLICS ARE ALL GOING TO HELL. LIES ARE WIDESPREAD.....ITS A DISEASE...THE TRUTH IS NOT WELCOME IN THIS WORLD...

** Technically the Bible or God doesn't speak highly of the R.C.C, furthermore, people tend to believe actions speak louder than words.

. Listen, we donot worship Mary as God, you heard of the rosary? THE ROSARY IS TAKEN OUT OF THE BIBLE, WHEN THE ANGEL GABRIEL SAID TO MARY "HAIL MARY, FULL OF GRACE THE LORD IS WITH YOU, BLESSED ARE YOU AMONG WOMEN" did the angel worship Mary as God? That is written in the book of Luke, we follow that and have HUGE RESPECT FOR THE MOTHER OF JESUS, do you respect her? I know I do, and the angels as well, even Jesus respects his mother.

** I respect Mary, don't pray to her, and she respects me.

** Yet the R.C.C idolizes Mary, a woman ,however, women at the pulpit and marriage are two different issues.
Here is the RCC explanation, again from the "APOSTOLIC LETTER ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS OF JOHN PAUL II TO THE BISHOPS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ON RESERVING PRIESTLY ORDINATION TO MEN ALONE" (emphasis from the original website):

"3. Furthermore, the fact that the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God and Mother of the Church, received neither the mission proper to the Apostles nor the ministerial priesthood clearly shows that the non-admission of women to priestly ordination cannot mean that women are of lesser dignity, nor can it be construed as discrimination against them. Rather, it is to be seen as the faithful observance of a plan to be ascribed to the wisdom of the Lord of the universe."

You should really read it if you are interested in knowing the RCC reasoning.
Here's the link directly from the Vatican's website :
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/j...i_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

If this was the justification statement for child molestation its twisted. I don't know if Islam or Catholicism is worse.
I don't believe that the issues cross paths or that this can be in any way construed as a justification for child molestation. To the best of my knowledge celibacy has never been shown to be causative to deviant sexual behavior such as child molestation (if anyone can show that I am wrong here please demonstrate so).

Granted, the issue of molestation and the RCC response to such behavior has been nothing short of hubris and a rather horrific manifestation of their presumed "authority". However, I do not believe you can correctly connect the two issues.

~Raithere

Originally posted by whatsupyall
... but the COMPLETE TRUTH, the fullness of truth is in the Roman catholic church, unwavering "ROCK".

whatsupyall:
Oh, I get it now: you mean RCC is the Rock because it also stands for Reinforced Cement Concrete? If that is so, I agree.

St. Peter before he died, he handed over his authority to the future Pope, therefore that inturn is also bound in heaven, so the Pope now have the same authority as st. Peter, again Jesus said it, whatever he bind on earth will b bound in heaven, Jesus is not lying. Thats why till this day, the vatican holds the tomb of St. Peter....
Which brings up an interesting observation; the 'heresies' that the RCC tortured and killed people for in the past are now entirely acceptable.
How do you reconcile the reversal of judgment with an infallible papacy?

~Raithere

Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

[

Raithere,

** Celibacy is suppose to be voluntary abstinence, no dogs, no cats, no children. However, marriage is condoned by God scripturally. One passage states, " It is better to marry than to burn" if one can not contain themselves. Now I don't believe celibacy leads to degenerate behavior either exspecially, child molestation & devils

** Concerning the Vatican statement:

* Avoids child molestation issue altogther.
* Raises issues on women at pulpit
* Ignores why priest can't have wives
* Questions if the church practices& accepts homosexuality amongst the priest hood despite its claim to reject such.

[

** I heard the Vatican holds many tombs and it cost a heafy amount.;)

Oh so were talking about riches now? What about the pastors? What about Benny Hinn? What about Creflo odollar? What about Billy Graham? They are all millionaires.
Listen, the church has been standing for about 2000 years now. The Pope is not rich, the bishops is not rich, and the cardinals are not rich, NONE OF THEM ARE. They live off people's donation, AND PEOPLE DONATE NOT BY FORCE, THEY DONATE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DONATE. When the pope dies, he doesnt grab the gold in Vatican then hands it over to his sons or daughter (lol he dont have any) or gives any to his brothers or sis, THERE IS NOTHING IN VATICAN HE OWNS, but those are donated by people for over 2000 yrs, the only thing the pope takes with him when he die is his ring, thats it....
U might say why is the vatican and the altar made out of Gold? Because we believe that God is present there.
Take the covenant box in the old testament in King David's time. It is made out of the best gold, because God is present in the covenant box, the altar. That is the same with the vatican, we put the best gold BECAUSE GOD DESERVES IT.
When Mary poured the most expensive oil in Jesus feet and wiped it with her hair, apostles said to Jesus "Shouldnt that costly oil be sold and given to the poor instead of wasting it on your feet?" Jesus rebuked them "The poor u will always have with you, etc.".
We r not wasting the gold in Vatican, or King David didnt waste the gold on the covenant box, GOD REQUESTED IT.

[
** Technically the Bible or God doesn't speak highly of the R.C.C, furthermore, people tend to believe actions speak louder than words.

the bible? QUOTE TO ME ONE VERSE IN THE BIBLE WHERE IT SAYS R.C.C. IS EVIL, on top of that your right "Faith w/out works is dead" so why are you protestant considering that Martin Luther teaches "Only in faith alone a man is saved"? What good is it if a woman is cold then you told her "Go Lady, rejoice and be glad" yet meanwhile not give her cloak to keep warm...Thus faith w/out works is dead. ARE U LIKE AN ATHEIST NOW? SAYING THAT CATHOLICS ONLY DO EVIL AND GENERALIZING? U FORGOT, THE PLEDGE OF ALEGIONS ARE STARTED BY CATHOLICS, (THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS), U FORGOT FOREFATHERS SOME ARE CATHOLICS, U FORGOT MOTHER THERESA IN INDIA, U FORGOT THE LAY MISSIONARIES AND NUNS IN SOUTH AMERICA WHO ARE CATHOLIC DOMINANT COUNTRIES...

[
** I respect Mary, don't pray to her, and she respects me.

You dont pray to her but the angel Gabriel did, he said "Blessed are you among women". IN FACT, THE HOLY SPIRIT COMMANDED US TO PRAY TO MARY. In the book of Luke during the annunciation, the Holy Spirit filled Mary, and she says in magnificat "All generations 'SHALL' call me Blessed". Just as when the mother of John the baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit, she exclaimed "But who am I that the MOTHER OF MY LORD should visit me, etc.".
Thats why today, we call her blessed because it is a commandment by the Holy Spirit, a commandment by God, just as thou 'SHALL' not kill.

your right, marriage is taught by God, we are called to be in union with God, TO BE THE BRIDE OF CHRIST, prepared to meet the groom- (see Rev). Marriage is simply in union between God and man, or male and female. St. Peter never gt married, is he then evil? St. Paul never got married, is he then evil? Your prophet, the catholic Martin Luther, the guy who started the reformation, he never got married, is he then evil? Maybe not married in male and female, but married in Christ, as a bride of Christ, having the church as his bride (not literally atheist children).

Oh so were talking about riches now? What about the pastors? What about Benny Hinn? What about Creflo odollar? What about Billy Graham? They are all millionaires.
Listen, the church has been standing for about 2000 years now. The Pope is not rich, the bishops is not rich, and the cardinals are not rich, NONE OF THEM ARE. They live off people's donation, AND PEOPLE DONATE NOT BY FORCE, THEY DONATE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DONATE. When the pope dies, he doesnt grab the gold in Vatican then hands it over to his sons or daughter (lol he dont have any) or gives any to his brothers or sis, THERE IS NOTHING IN VATICAN HE OWNS, but those are donated by people for over 2000 yrs, the only thing the pope takes with him when he die is his ring, thats it....
U might say why is the vatican and the altar made out of Gold? Because we believe that God is present there.
Take the covenant box in the old testament in King David's time. It is made out of the best gold, because God is present in the covenant box, the altar. That is the same with the vatican, we put the best gold BECAUSE GOD DESERVES IT.
When Mary poured the most expensive oil in Jesus feet and wiped it with her hair, apostles said to Jesus "Shouldnt that costly oil be sold and given to the poor instead of wasting it on your feet?" Jesus rebuked them "The poor u will always have with you, etc.".
We r not wasting the gold in Vatican, or King David didnt waste the gold on the covenant box, GOD REQUESTED IT.

** If the Throne represents God the Pope should kneel before it, not sit in it. Even the cherbiums, holy angels, couldn't look upon the face of God or sit in his throne. Furthermore, the woman annoints Christ in preperation for the crucifixion, however, the marriage issue needs to be explained by the Pope to the world.

the bible? QUOTE TO ME ONE VERSE IN THE BIBLE WHERE IT SAYS R.C.C. IS EVIL, on top of that your right "Faith w/out works is dead" so why are you protestant considering that Martin Luther teaches "Only in faith alone a man is saved"? What good is it if a woman is cold then you told her "Go Lady, rejoice and be glad" yet meanwhile not give her cloak to keep warm...Thus faith w/out works is dead. ARE U LIKE AN ATHEIST NOW? SAYING THAT CATHOLICS ONLY DO EVIL AND GENERALIZING? U FORGOT, THE PLEDGE OF ALEGIONS ARE STARTED BY CATHOLICS, (THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS), U FORGOT FOREFATHERS SOME ARE CATHOLICS, U FORGOT MOTHER THERESA IN INDIA, U FORGOT THE LAY MISSIONARIES AND NUNS IN SOUTH AMERICA WHO ARE CATHOLIC DOMINANT COUNTRIES...

** Given the history of abuse linked to Catholicism people should be giving reparations for inflictions

You dont pray to her but the angel Gabriel did, he said "Blessed are you among women". IN FACT, THE HOLY SPIRIT COMMANDED US TO PRAY TO MARY. In the book of Luke during the annunciation, the Holy Spirit filled Mary, and she says in magnificat "All generations 'SHALL' call me Blessed". Just as when the mother of John the baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit, she exclaimed "But who am I that the MOTHER OF MY LORD should visit me, etc.".
Thats why today, we call her blessed because it is a commandment by the Holy Spirit, a commandment by God, just as thou 'SHALL' not kill.

** Were does God command us to worship Idols and exalted Mary above God. Is this in the Catholic Bible or the Christian Bible? Nevertheless, it doesn't condem marriage.

Re: Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

Celibacy is suppose to be voluntary abstinence, no dogs, no cats, no children. However, marriage is condoned by God scripturally. One passage states, "It is better to marry than to burn" if one can not contain themselves.
The RCC does state that celibacy is voluntary... so is becoming a Priest. The RCC doctrine of celibacy stems from several areas but here is a direct quote "He thereby wishes to affirm that marriage has a specific dignity and sacramental holiness, and that nevertheless there exists another path for the Christian: a path which is not a flight from marriage but rather a conscious choice of celibacy for the sake of the Kingdom of heaven." which is directly derived from Jesus as quoted in Matthew 19:10-12 "His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with [his] wife, it is not good to marry. But he said unto them, All [men] cannot receive this saying, save [they] to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from [their] mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive [it], let him receive [it].". So they see this calling to priesthood as "have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake."

Concerning the Vatican statement:
* Avoids child molestation issue altogther.
* Raises issues on women at pulpit
* Ignores why priest can't have wives
* Questions if the church practices& accepts homosexuality amongst the priest hood despite its claim to reject such.
Well, this particular statement was strictly directed at the issue of the ordination of women. We'd need to look elsewhere for their stance regarding child molestation, celibacy, and homosexuality.

~Raithere

** Were does God command us to worship Idols and exalted Mary above God. Is this in the Catholic Bible or the Christian Bible? Nevertheless, it doesn't condem marriage.

WORSHIP IDOLS? SO ANGEL GABRIEL WORSHIP MARY AS AN IDOL? SO JESUS WORSHIP MARY AS AN IDOL? SO MOTHER OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST IS WORSHIPING AN IDOL? ARE THEY? OR ARENT THEY JUST SHOWING RESPECT...WHO TOLD U I WORSHIP MARY ABOVE GOD? AGAIN YOU ARE A VICTIM OF LIES, LIKE THE ATHEIST...AND WHOEVER SAID WE CONDEMN MARRIAGE? THE MOST BEAUTIFULL MARRIAGE IS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. PRIEST IS VOLUNTARY, AND THIS IS ALSO A "SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE", INSTEAD OF ONE FEMALE, THE PRIEST EMBRACE THE WHOLE COMMUNITY AS HIS BRIDE, THE CHURCH..

Lady, what do you mean christian bible or catholic bible? THERE IS ONLY ONE BIBLE, AND IT CAME FROM THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, MARTIN LUTHER, A CATHOLIC MONK STOLE OUR BIBLE, COPIED IT AND PRINTED IT WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE VATICAN, AND HE TOOK OUT 7 BOOKS, THATS WHY YOUR BIBLE IS LACKING AND NOT C0MPLETE. If Martin Luther was alive right now, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN SUED FOR STEALING IT WITHOUT THE COMMUNITY'S PERMISSION. And the only reason why there is "Protestant" today is because KING HENRY PROTEST AGAINST THE CHURCH BECAUSE HE WANT TO BREAK HIS PROMISE HE MADE TO GOD AND DIVORCE HIS WIFE, HE WANT THE CHURCH TO GIVE HIM PERMISSION TO BE PERVERTED, AND HE BRIBED MARTIN LUTHER INTO HELPING HIM OUT, THE 2 OF THEM TOGETHER MADE A TAG TEAM, THE OTHER ONE IS A PERVERT, AND THE OTHER IS A THIEF.
The book of revelation, who placed that there out of scrolls? THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, WHO PLACED THE BOOK OF TESTAMENT THERE? THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. They all at one point came from scrolls, but everytime they celebrate mass, there were so many scrolls, hundreds if you will to choose from, AND SO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DECIDED TO MAKE A BIBLE, THE SAME BIBLE MARTIN LUTHER STOLE..
SO U ACCEPT AND BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE? THEN U ACCEPT AND BELIEVE IN THE AUTHORITY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH BECAUSE IT IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THAT COMPILED THE BIBLE. IN FACT THERE ARE OTHEWR SCROLLS WRITTEN BY THE SAINTS THAT ARE NOT IN THE BIBLE. THERE ARE MUCH MORE PSALMS OF DAVID THAT U DONOT KNOW OF BUT IS IN VATICAN, THERE ARE MUCH MUCH MORE SCROLLS, HUNDREDS, BUT THEY ALL WONT FIT IN ONE BOOK, SO THOSE ARE THE SELCTED BOOKS THANKS TO THE COMPILATION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

IN FACT U DONT BELIEVE IN PRAYING FOR THE DEAD BECAUSE YOUR BIBLE DOESNT HAVE IT, MARTIN LUTHER TOOK OUT THE PART WHERE GOD SAYS "IT IS GOOD AND WHOLESOME TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Priest Can't Marry?

~Raithere

So they see this calling to priesthood as "have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake."

** Fortunately God ordains genuine saints.

whasupyall,

..AND WHOEVER SAID WE CONDEMN MARRIAGE? THE MOST BEAUTIFULL MARRIAGE IS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. PRIEST IS VOLUNTARY, AND THIS IS ALSO A "SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE", INSTEAD OF ONE FEMALE, THE PRIEST EMBRACE THE WHOLE COMMUNITY AS HIS BRIDE, THE CHURCH..

** Except the children..... get a wife.

SO U ACCEPT AND BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE? THEN U ACCEPT AND BELIEVE IN THE AUTHORITY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH BECAUSE IT IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THAT COMPILED THE BIBLE.

** I don't care if the Catholic Church compiled the Bible.I'm sure it has many relics including the bones of the saints it murder. However I do accept the scriptures and do believe the R.C.C has no authority over me.

FACT U DONT BELIEVE IN PRAYING FOR THE DEAD BECAUSE YOUR BIBLE DOESNT HAVE IT, MARTIN LUTHER TOOK OUT THE PART WHERE GOD SAYS "IT IS GOOD AND WHOLESOME TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD". [/B][/QUOTE]

** Praying for the dead won't change thier outcome.

ING HENRY PROTEST AGAINST THE CHURCH BECAUSE HE WANT TO BREAK HIS PROMISE HE MADE TO GOD AND DIVORCE HIS WIFE, HE WANT THE CHURCH TO GIVE HIM PERMISSION TO BE PERVERTED, AND HE BRIBED MARTIN LUTHER INTO HELPING HIM OUT, THE 2 OF THEM TOGETHER MADE A TAG TEAM, THE OTHER ONE IS A PERVERT,

** King Henry wasn't in a religious postion, however, priest who claim to follow Christ ,and commit child molestation amongst other abominations in the sight of the Lord is perveted beyond words. It's not only unacceptable by God but punishable by our laws as well. The R.C.C. needs to realize that saints are called and created by God alone and if history has taught us anything than the R.C.C. should realize it is far from Holiness

Last edited:
Back