Why is The Religion Catagory Most Popular

As an atheist, I am fascinated by religion. I don't see the contradiction. Religious people wouldn't consider it controversial, just ordinary. From the outside, it seems bizzare.

As an atheist, I am fascinated by religion. I don't see the contradiction. Religious people wouldn't consider it controversial, just ordinary. From the outside, it seems bizzare.

I don't know about being bizarre... lying, exaggerating, believing something when you know it's not true... All rather ordinary I'm afraid.

Oh come on! The majority of theists will know it's not true. You can follow a dogma and not listen to the voice that tells you it's rediculous, but the voice is still there. The only people who don't have this rational voice are genuinely insane.

If you seen 'the most hated family in america', I doubted the sincerity of their beliefs even though they were very strong in voicing them.

Sam: perceptions, lack of education, lack of concept, multiple linguistic translations or too much sex by minor individuals does not in any way or form alter the fact that 1+1=2 in the field of mathematics.

(WOW I was late...)

Isn't it generally always the way regardless to where you are? It is often said that when it comes to having a chat with others that it aways invariably ends up with politics and religion, (which is when things turn violent).

I love a discussion about almost anything, but religion has a major appeal because it's absolutely idiotic and yet has such sway over humans. It's the worlds most rampant mental illness. Why would it not be fascinating?

Sam: perceptions, lack of education, lack of concept, multiple linguistic translations or too much sex by minor individuals does not in any way or form alter the fact that 1+1=2 in the field of mathematics.

(WOW I was late...)

Sure but it helps to remember that its a formula and a concept that you are defending (and that is falsifiable) not a biological reality.:p

e.g. can you, in nature show me a -0.0001^100?

I don't know sam...I still get two humans if I put one to stand next to another. The only way I see that a third human is possible is by the two humans moving from that position to some sort of kama sutra endeavour :shake: and that...loosely speaking...is multiplication, not addition. :D

*cough*
This is of course assuming that I am not speaking about two guys. Or two girls for that matter. :jawdrop:

I don't know sam...I still get two humans if I put one to stand next to the other. The only way I see that a third human is possible is by the two humans moving that position to horizontal and that...loosely speaking...is multiplication, not addition. :D

You've been brainwashed into believing in numbers.:(

Don't you know, they are manmade concepts?

Bet you believe that trees can be exchanged for stones too.

No, I've been educated in the logical field of numbers. Of course they're man made concepts. They were made for us to understand the universe. You've been brainwashed into fighting reality and replacing it with magic and irrelevant claptrap.

And why would I believe trees can be exchanged for stones? Why would anyone want to do that? It seems illogical, unless you come up with one of those odd explanations that you seem to fabricate effortlessly.

No, I've been educated in the logical field of numbers. Of course they're man made concepts. They were made for us to understand the universe. You've been brainwashed into fighting reality and replacing it with magic and irrelevant claptrap.

And why would I believe trees can be exchanged for stones? Why would anyone want to do that? It seems illogical, unless you come up with one of those odd explanations that you seem to fabricate effortlessly.

So you use a man made concept to understand the universe and decry me for fighting reality? :shrug:

Well you'd first have to convert the trees to paper and money and the stones would have to be really really hard.;)

This was fun but statistics awaits. Ta ta.:)

Dang. I was merely stating that mathematics was the only perfect noncorrupt science and look what happens. I can't leave you all alone for five minutes, now can I?:)

sam,
I agree that mathematics is a man made concept and not a biological reality. You can 'falsify' a statement like: 1+1=3, but anyone who has a concept of numbers and math knows that 1 and 1 add up to nothing other than 2.

Dang. I was merely stating that mathematics was the only perfect noncorrupt science and look what happens. I can't leave you all alone for five minutes, now can I?:)

sam,
I agree that mathematics is a man made concept and not a biological reality. You can 'falsify' a statement like: 1+1=3, but anyone who has a concept of numbers and math knows that 1 and 1 add up to nothing other than 2.

*sigh*
please show me how one height plus one height is equal to two heights.

In fact, define one height for me. You're assuming a discrete variable.

*sigh*
please show me how one height plus one height is equal to two heights.

In fact, define one height for me. You're assuming a discrete variable.

What does 'one' height have to do with this?
You're comparing apples and oranges now and you're also throwing in abstract nouns when that wasn't part of my point. I am simply talking numbers in raw form.

1+1=2, anywhere, anyplace
eins + eins = zwei
uno + uno = dos

Your answer is kinda like a DA cross examining a witness where they ask the witness a yes or no question and:
DA: "Were you or were you not at so and so's house....?"
witness: "Yes, but.."
DA: "Just answer yes or no"
witness: "yes"
DA: "That's all I needed to know"

What does 'one' height have to do with this?
You're comparing apples and oranges now and you're also throwing in abstract nouns when that wasn't part of my point. I am simply talking numbers in raw form.

1+1=2, anywhere, anyplace
eins + eins = zwei
uno + uno = dos

Your answer is kinda like a DA cross examining a witness where they ask the witness a yes or no question and:
DA: "Were you or were you not at so and so's house....?"
witness: "Yes, but.."
DA: "Just answer yes or no"
witness: "yes"
DA: "That's all I needed to know"

Thats my point. When you say numbers, you really mean integers, since with real numbers, it would mean

Q: is 1+1=2?

A: I don't know.

because I don't know the whole number. I could give you a probability based on the number of possible combinations of decimals of each, but not a conclusive answer.:)

Mathematics is nothing but using abstraction to reach necessary conclusions using logical reasoning.

Last edited:
YOU sam are adding more "facts" than there are in the premise in the first place! YOU sam are the one assuming variables at all! Honestly sam! Geez!

Let me put it this way: The mathematical integer 1 when combined with a second mathematical integer 1 via a mathematical process called addition, will result in the mathematical integer 2. This concept, process and result will remain constistent and are independent of any other arena of academia or leisure. This is what mikenostic was telling you.

I'm very sure you know this, but are enjoying the game.

Enjoy statistics, maybe you can find the median value of Chief Bulla Bulla's many children. :p

Heh. We're getting way off topic of this thread. It seems we are both right, but just looking at the same thing a whole different way.
But no, I mean numbers. 1+1=2. By looking at the 1s and the 2, we can see that there are no decimals nor are there negative signs. If we want to use decimals, then it would be 1.0+1.0=2.0. That seems pretty straightforward to me. Now, you could add as many zeros behind the decimals as you want. Sure there are plenty of possibilities of decimals of each but they all mean the same thing and the outcome/solution (or sum (2, 2.0, 2.00, 2.000,etc.) in this case considering it's addition) doesn't change, and can't be corruputed (which was my initial point anyway).
And the only way someone would not know that 1+1=2 (in their language), is if they have no concept of numbers or math, as you previously mentioned.
If you have a single car, and you buy another car, how many cars do you have? 2. You don't have 3, you don't have 9, you have two. There is NO probability in the amount of cars you have. There are two. If you buy yet another car, you have three. It doesn't waiver.

Haha...you beat me to it D!!!
I always enjoy a good game of debate too!

YOU sam are adding more "facts" than there are in the premise in the first place! YOU sam are the one assuming variables at all! Honestly sam! Geez!

Let me put it this way: The mathematical integer 1 when combined with a second mathematical integer 1 via a mathematical process called addition, will result in the mathematical integer 2. This concept, process and result will remain constistent and are independent of any other arena of academia or leisure. This is what mikenostic was telling you.

I'm very sure you know this, but are enjoying the game.

Enjoy statistics, maybe you can find the median value of Chief Bulla Bulla's many children. :p

My initial premise was to show that mathematics is a "pure science" because it is divorced from "reality". The assumptions are all part of the abstraction of mathematics.

You need to be able to understand the thought process that the internalisation of that concept has created, to understand what I mean.;)

Heh. We're getting way off topic of this thread. It seems we are both right, but just looking at the same thing a whole different way.
But no, I mean numbers. 1+1=2. By looking at the 1s and the 2, we can see that there are no decimals nor are there negative signs. If we want to use decimals, then it would be 1.0+1.0=2.0. That seems pretty straightforward to me. Now, you could add as many zeros behind the decimals as you want. Sure there are plenty of possibilities of decimals of each but they all mean the same thing and the outcome/solution (or sum (2, 2.0, 2.00, 2.000,etc.) in this case considering it's addition) doesn't change, and can't be corruputed (which was my initial point anyway).
And the only way someone would not know that 1+1=2 (in their language), is if they have no concept of numbers or math, as you previously mentioned.
If you have a single car, and you buy another car, how many cars do you have? 2. You don't have 3, you don't have 9, you have two. There is NO probability in the amount of cars you have. There are two. If you buy yet another car, you have three. It doesn't waiver.

So tell me, is 5 greater than 1?

What if the 5 are bicycles and the one is a Mercedes?;)

Does that make a difference?

Back