Why doesn't God just show himself?

Rosa, you are using specific instances when Christians acted unlike Christians to prove that all of Christian doctrines are falsehoods. It's not a good argument against Christianity, especially when I can point to thousands of members acting in accord to Christ's example. And, no, you cannot simply try a religion. I think the advice you've received is merely to look into stuff a bit more.

Some other took a sword and killed everyone who didn't convert.
And the specific time period when this happend was? I know of several cases where if you examine the specific instance further you will see that it is the action of one man outside of any bishop or any church heirachy.

You obvioulsy have an issue of great inconsistency in your own lines. This is not a problem of the non-believers.
I'm not following. Certainly you do not mean non-believers are united. About the only thing non-believers are united in is unbelief.

You don't behave as one unified and equally thinking group of people, yet you all go by the same name.
Christianity today has many different denominations including the Catholic church. We go by the same collective name because we believe in the essential moral teachings of Christ along with a few of the main doctrinal tenets. Christianity is really a family of different faiths.

RosaMagika

I understand now why you are uncertain of the Christian faith. Because you judge a faith by the people who claim to hold that faith. Seems reasonable, but how can you judge a perfect message by the imperfect person who delivers it? You have pointed out what you believe are my faults but irrespective of my faults (and i know i have them) you cannot measure the Message of Jesus by the people who claim to hold it. You must measure the people by the message of The Messiah Jesus. Do i fail Jesus? yes i fail Him everyday and i have made a mess of delivering His message on more than one occasion. But the beauty of the Message of Jesus is we are forgiven our human faults as long as we have the right humble loving spirit.

Rosa please take the time to read the Message of Jesus without thinking of Christians.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar and c20,

Adstar said:
Rosa please take the time to read the Message of Jesus without thinking of Christians

See, THIS is what I have been waiting for a Christian to say to me!

This is all I wanted to hear.

Now you DO have my respect, regardless of what some other Christians have done.

I just wish all Christians would be able to say what you said, Adstar.

c20H25N3o said:
Its probably important to see the 'person' before the 'Christian', accepting people as they are, with their "faults" and "imperfections". I appreciate that this is incredibly hard to do if they are forcing the 'Christian' rather than their 'person'.
I guess I just hate generalisations but I understand your points :)

peace

c20 :m:

Yes, I always wish and try to see first someone's 'person', before seeing their religion. It is far more fair, I think. And more realistic too.
If, say, James, wishes me to see him primarily as a 'Christian', but then I see him cheat on me and being a coward, then I will doubt his Christianity.
But if James wishes me to see him simply as just James, then I have no problem if James's religion is Christianity.

Rosa,

I'm really sorry you feel this way about me. Your distrust of Christians makes you very sensitive to any message that sounds like an attempt to convert you. But I challenge you to go back through my posts and see if that was my intention.

You said once I got you to think about how Christians influenced your perception of religion. I hoped that it meant you could see past the pretences of Christians that wouldn't tolerate you or had hurt you in the past, but now it seems to me that you judge the whole religion by its lowest denominator. Am I right?

You don't have to become a Christian to be a Christian in the true sense of the word. Just like Christians didn't need to become Jews to be part of God's Israel. It's not a competition. But wanting to get to know God is crucial. It was a question about your attituede towards God - not Christians - that's all.

Jenyar,

You said once I got you to think about how Christians influenced your perception of religion. I hoped that it meant you could see past the pretences of Christians that wouldn't tolerate you or had hurt you in the past, but now it seems to me that you judge the whole religion by its lowest denominator. Am I right?

No, I don't judge a religion by its lowest denominator.
I'm saying that Christians, as belivers, present a vast scale of strength of belief and behaviour. Yet they all go by the same name. This is very confusing for an outside observer. I find it hard to trust such a mess, sorry for that word, but it's probably the most correct one.

You don't have to become a Christian to be a Christian in the true sense of the word.

Now, if my lovely Catholics or Mormons would hear you!!
They'd lynch you, you know!

Look, I don't mean to revert everything back to believers.

I just wish people would meet me as people, as persons -- and not as their religion. The way I sketched out in the above post. And this does include you too, to an extent.

But wanting to get to know God is crucial. It was a question about your attituede towards God - not Christians - that's all.

This is something *you* say. Again -- I ask: Which God? In what way?

I read the Bible -- and it just didn't speak to me. It is yet another cosmogony to me.
I feel no need for an "eternal life".

I have *not* already made up your mind that God *doesn't* exist -- if anything, I am an agnostic. And for what is worth, there is a simple logical argument that says it is logically impossible to deny God's existence, and I accept that argument. I don't know what the future may bring. What I do have are some very reasonable and very practical guidelines for life.

And when you state the option that whether I should have made up my mind that "it's impossible for Him to love you": I have not made up my mind about that either, because I once more think that this isn't something I could simply make up my mind about. For in order to make up my mind about that, I would first have to believe that God is loving and other things: this, IMO, is giving him characterists.
But, by my definition, I cannot ascribe any characteristics to him. Neither good nor bad. I say God is, and that perfectly says evertyhing for me.

Can you accept that -- or will you once more say

Jenyar said:
you can't blame Christians for not believing in God, you have a responsibility towards yourself. Unless you have already made up your mind that God doesn't exist or it's impossible for Him to love you, using other Christians or other beliefs to justify your doubt is just an excuse.

?

^^

Human beings don't ascribe characteristics to God, God reveals himself to us and that is how and why we know him.

I believe this is reiterated in Calvin's theology but I forget where exactly. About man's thoughts originating from God and all that... NOT that I'm a Calvinist, mind you..

RosaMagika said:
I'm saying that Christians, as belivers, present a vast scale of strength of belief and behaviour. Yet they all go by the same name. This is very confusing for an outside observer. I find it hard to trust such a mess, sorry for that word, but it's probably the most correct one.
We all go by the same name: it's called humanity. You don't have to categorize us either. As you said:
"I just wish people would meet me as people, as persons -- and not as their religion. The way I sketched out in the above post. And this does include you too, to an extent."
Christianity does include you to an extent, too, even though you might resent it. Look at it as a funnel - you can even look at all religion collectively like this. You can get stuck somewhere in the funnel, or you could look for the most honest way through it. In fact, life itself is such a funnel. Most only see a dark hole called death, others see a light. Sometimes it just depends on how comfortable you are in this life.

But that's exactly the question you don't want me to answer! You'll think I'm trying to convert you. But what could I possibly get out of converting someone I don't know, on the other side of the earth, to a Christianity that seems just as foreign to me? But I do know God - it's a relationship that I trust and I will gladly refer you to it. That's the best I can do.

I read the Bible -- and it just didn't speak to me. It is yet another cosmogony to me.
I feel no need for an "eternal life".
I felt no need for a car; I felt no need for an internet connection; I felt no need for a cellphone either - now I don't know how I ever got along without them. They're mundane examples, but life works that way.

When you read the Bible, what were you looking for?

Yo RosaMagika,

I dig the clear way you think. I find god in simplicity. To me, convolusions indicate human interference. Christian apologetics is an example of hardcore convolusion. And, yeah, like you, I know pain too.

Allcare.

God is a coward. If god can allow the torture of innocent lives in prison. ie. if it cant help those in need why will it care to show his evil face. Evil for allowing evil to innocent and luxury to the evil.

Hey god if U have enough guts then stop all the crimes now U son of a motherless goat.

Hey god U dont have any brains it seems so here is a suggestion. Next time when U land on earth Create a shrine. In this shrine create something that defies all laws of nature, eg. a Round sphere that float in mid air. So nextime noone will asks this question.

Last edited:
...Next time when U land on earth Create a shrine. In this shrine create something that defies all laws of nature, eg. a Round sphere that float in mid air. So nextime noone will asks this question.

I would be more impressed by something a bit more impossible. A cubical sphere or a spherical cube perhaps. And the floating part could be accomplished through technology. This is the difficult part of God showing himself to the modern day. There is almost nothing that could be done that couldn't be passed off as technology. Even if it impossible by today's standards, it may not be by tomorrow's.

I am sure that if a being as great as god did exist, he could surely come up with something.

RawThinkTank said:
God is a coward. If god can allow the torture of innocent lives in prison. ie. if it cant help those in need why will it care to show his evil face. Evil for allowing evil to innocent and luxury to the evil.

Hey god if U have enough guts then stop all the crimes now U son of a motherless goat.

Hey god U dont have any brains it seems so here is a suggestion. Next time when U land on earth Create a shrine. In this shrine create something that defies all laws of nature, eg. a Round sphere that float in mid air. So nextime noone will asks this question.

Would you prefer God removed free will from 'people'. :confused:

I would rather be in prison for something I was innocent of than have my free will removed. :m:

I would rather be in prison for something I was innocent of than have my free will removed.
I didnt think we would have free will anyways, whatever happened to 'god has a plan for everyone' if we really had free will we could mess up his plans, surely this doesnt work?

Jenyar,

Jenyar said:
RosaMagika said:

But that's exactly the question you don't want me to answer! You'll think I'm trying to convert you. But what could I possibly get out of converting someone I don't know, on the other side of the earth, to a Christianity that seems just as foreign to me? But I do know God - it's a relationship that I trust and I will gladly refer you to it. That's the best I can do.

Do you think that I don't know God?
Please elaborate on this one.

I half-dreamt this tonight: My belief is not tailored by Christian measurements, my God doesn't have a name. But that doesn't make my belief in God any less real or any less worth than your belief. There are more ways to know God, not just the Christian or Muslim etc. way.

All you can do is refer me to *your* way of relating to God. But your idea of relating to God is by no means the only one, neither is it the only real one.

Jenyar said:
I felt no need for a car; I felt no need for an internet connection; I felt no need for a cellphone either - now I don't know how I ever got along without them. They're mundane examples, but life works that way.

Oh, you know that this is not a proper argument.
I bet there's something else you're trying to say.

I think how "life works" is thus: We get/buy/receive something, either because we need it, or because it is fashionable, or because it is a part of the culture we are living in, or because we got it by a felicitious coincidence, ...

We establish a relationship with this thing or person: it can in some cases be addictive, forced on, or indeed a mere survival need, or a loving relationship -- it is this relationship that then binds us to something.

Some things, we learn to *love*. Some thigns become really special and important to us. That plush chimp I got for my B-day: it's just a plush chimp for you, but it means a lot to me.
Similar happens with God. We establish some sort of relationship with God.
Afterwards, most is a matter of what and how we invest into this relationship.

When you read the Bible, what were you looking for?

I was torn, manifold:
1. The excitement of something new.

2. Self-punishment and enjoying see people/characters in the Bible suffer. Job was my man. Yes, you know God is there, but he don't want you. Not really. Not now. I loved the Apocalypse. The end of everything.

3. Seek, and I shall find. It all seemed too simple. Too easy. Too Oprah. My idea of finding God was, and probably still is very Job-like. And indeed, I got a bad bad flu at around that time, I haven't slept for 42 hours due to headaches, general nausea and a stuffed nose, and several days before that I couldn't sleep either, as the flu was approaching. Meds didn't help. I was screaming because I was exhausted and I couldn't sleep. I was grinding my teeth and I ground away about 2 square milimeters of my first upper left front tooth. It took some to fix it. (Don't worry, I do not look like a monster.)
And what is worst, and most, in that more than a week of my sickness, my oh so loving friends didn't bother to call me or to see me, even though they knew I was sick. Later on, I set new standards of what I consider love.
Anyway, that flu was ended by some really really strong meds, and me finding a way to sleep but still being consciouos (I couldn't breath through my nose because it was stuffed, and my throat was sore -- I breathed once or twice, and then had to swallow to wet my throat. You can do that only if you are awake.)

4. I've then decided that the Bible is not the thing for me. At least not until some further notice.

RosaMagika said:
I've then decided that the Bible is not the thing for me. At least not until some further notice.
Then I'm curious what you thought about Jesus' faith and suffering. Was it like Job's, or something else?

Jenyar said:
Then I'm curious what you thought about Jesus' faith and suffering. Was it like Job's, or something else?

Jesus made the least impression on me.

Too sterile, too clean, too unreal. Too much words. Too abstract.

Yes: too ABSTRACT.
I hate abstractions.

RosaMagika said:
Jesus made the least impression on me.

Too sterile, too clean, too unreal. Too much words. Too abstract.

Yes: too ABSTRACT.
I hate abstractions.
More abstract than Job, more abstract than the apocalypse? Come on, Job was a stereotype hero - stylized and simplified. Jesus is much more real, he shows almost constant frustration and exhibits a very tangible patience. This is what struck M Scott Peck, and he used to think the gospels were artificial and unbelievable, too. If you can sympathize with the struggle to endure a life of suffering, why not with the struggle of a life worth suffering?

Back