Why does the government hide UFO's?

You may as well ask why the government "hides the facts" on the fake moon landing, or "hides the the facts" that Elvis is still alive, or "hides the facts" that 9/11 was an inside job, or...

The government hides the facts on UFOs because they think that populous can't handle the truth ; but more importantly ; they ; the government ; are arrogant.
The suggestion that any Government could sit on something so big for such a long time is somewhat ridiculous.

Certainly, Government's around the world have their secrets, but the thing with those is that they always inevitably get out. Someone always talks and the news spreads. The suggestion that any Government anywhere in the world has been sitting on something this huge, for such a long time and that it has yet to get out or have been leaked by any Government in all that time (remember, the suggestion is that subsequent Governments have sat on this secret for decades) is not realistic.

I mean, think about it, Governments leak like a sieve.

Even secretive regimes like in North Korea leak information constantly. To believe that any Government could sit on a secret that is that big, for decades, considering that in the West, for example, we have elections, new people coming in to replace the old, etc, people retiring, people being fired and in all that time, no one could actually confirm any of it, even today in the age of digital technology, where military secrets have been revealed in detail in leaks, that the existence of aliens visiting Earth could have been hidden... It is ridiculous to suggest such a thing.

Are there UFO's? Yes. There are a lot of things that we might see in the sky that we cannot explain, as such, they are unidentified flying objects. But there is not enough evidence to suggest that they are of alien origin. There is every evidence that they could be something else, something that is explainable and can easily be tested.

Overall, I'm thinking that there is an implied (or openly stated) correlation here between the existence of UFO's of extra terrestrial origin, and government secrets - which isn't really all that useful. The two things bear little relation to each other.

There is every chance that some reported UFO's might be of alien origin; there is plenty of anecdotal (some otherwise) evidence to suggest that on the part of pilots, radar operators, and peasants working on farms in Ohio.
It is highly unlikely, however, that any government is covering up any proof of their existence for the reasons outlined by Bells above. People love to talk. It's not impossible, of course... but very very unlikely. Particularly not in the USA, where the dollar bill can circumvent all manner of state secrets.

The thing is, though, that that applies both to government cover ups and some previously unknown leap in technology which enables objects captured on radar (or on a smartphone) do some highly unnatural things. It's a little odd to presume that the government isn't capable of covering up the existence of UFO's, and yet be able somehow to keep secret technology like that.
Some things aren't easily explainable, nor can they be "tested". The possibility of alien origin can't be categorically denied... and it's a fun thing to speculate upon.

River, will you please investigate the correct use of a semi-colon. For pity's sake, I'm grinding my teeth here.

The government hides the facts on UFOs because they think that populous can't handle the truth ; but more importantly ; they ; the government ; are arrogant.

Big assertion. But no evidence to support it.

We can't say definitively that the government hides something that we have no evidence of that proves THAT something exists. To do so is not reasonable.

Furthermore, not only can we not prove the above, but to say definitively WHY they are doing something we can't prove they are really doing, with something we can't prove really exists, is even more unreasonable.

I understand people's wariness of government but this is just being ridiculous.

It is highly unlikely, however, that any government is covering up any proof of their existence for the reasons outlined by Bells above. [...]but very very unlikely. Particularly not in the USA, where the dollar bill can circumvent all manner of state secrets.
I simply ask every one who says this, this, " how do you, let alone how would you even know?

Big assertion. But no evidence to support it.

We can't say definitively that the government hides something that we have no evidence of that proves THAT something exists. To do so is not reasonable.

Furthermore, not only can we not prove the above, but to say definitively WHY they are doing something we can't prove they are really doing, with something we can't prove really exists, is even more unreasonable.

I understand people's wariness of government but this is just being ridiculous.
do you even listen to yourself?

If you lack the ability to understand what I just said, in the context in which I said it, then perhaps you need a lesson in critical thinking.
:) (shakes head)-- again, do you even listen to yourself?

" We can't say definitively that the government hides something that we have no evidence of "-- what if there is no evidence of because the government hides the something?

I guess this indicates you need that lesson.
no it simply indicates--
" We can't say definitively that the government hides something that we have no evidence of "-- what if there is no evidence of because the government hides the something?
in my irrelevant opinion, what is actually lacking is your level of thought, while you attempt to play logic police.

no it simply indicates--

Then it is exactly as I said...you can't say definitively that they are hiding it. In fact, it is pretty ignorant to just assume they are.

Lol

ahh, so you are employed by high levels of the government to where you have access to such things?

No I'm not, which is exactly why it can't be said definitively. Because the evidence is not there.

Lolol. For a science forum there is an abundant lack of basic logic and reasoning.

Back