Why do theists associate with non-theists?

One could say those people are not "true" Christians (whatever that means). After all, Jesus hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes.
And how many Christians would respect another who was friends with prostitutes and did not hide it?

Generally, theists consider non-theists (ie. atheists and agnostics of various kinds) to be people who are not worthy to be associated with. ...

I wish. They are always praying for me and trying to convert me. I just nod my head and smile. I don't care enough to argue (after all atheism, isn't my religion)
And eventually they move on.

I hang out with Atheists cause they are fun people . Some are real asses , but hey can't we all be a little assholeish at times. What does that really mean ? Is it necessarily bad to be an ass? You ever think it might be a good trait ?

There is something about people with confidence. It is attractive to me .

Think about it ? An Atheist could just hide the fact in a world predominately religious. It takes a lot of confidence to go against the majority . That is conviction !

I wish. They are always praying for me and trying to convert me. I just nod my head and smile. I don't care enough to argue (after all atheism, isn't my religion)
And eventually they move on.
I'm not sure that contradicts what Signal said. They aren't hanging out with you or working on being friends; they see you are primarily in a state that must be changed.

One could say those people are not "true" Christians (whatever that means). After all, Jesus hung out with tax collectors and prostitutes.

right on baby , All people are part of His creation so we all are equal, and Yashua died for all sinners , of which I am one of them

Which Christians? I've known Christians for whom I was not good enough, on account that I was not a Christian.

I disagree. It is true for many Christians.

Perhaps I should have said those statements (below) don't jive to the teachings of Christ.
Originally Posted by Signal
Generally, theists consider non-theists (ie. atheists and agnostics of various kinds) to be people who are not worthy to be associated with.
In fact, associating with non-theists is considered bad for one's spiritual advancement.

@Cifo --

Sorry, but pretty much anything "jives" with the teachings of Jesus. Anything from slavery to loving your neighbor can be justified by those teachings.

@Cifo --

Sorry, but pretty much anything "jives" with the teachings of Jesus. Anything from slavery to loving your neighbor can be justified by those teachings.
I don't think you can justify slavery on Jesus' teachings - I don't think he says anything. Which leads to a poor justification since he never said anything about pedophilia either. And really you should have a hard time justifying all sorts of things many Christians justify, generally they do this with reference to the OT, however.

I don't think you can justify slavery on Jesus' teachings - I don't think he says anything. Which leads to a poor justification since he never said anything about pedophilia either. And really you should have a hard time justifying all sorts of things many Christians justify, generally they do this with reference to the OT, however.

Jesus came to bring the sword!

And he will judge, he will separate the righteous from the wicked!

Anything can be justified by referring to this.

Sure, but poorly. Unless people think they are justified in having the role of Jesus without his insight and wisdom. He makes specific suggestions to others that go against many interpretations of this section. Here he describes himself, in other places he tells others what they should do and not do or in what state they should be in - sinless, for example - before they have the right to do them.

I am not disputing that followers of Jesus can and do use this section, but one can only hope their children use the same logic to justify their own actions against parental injunctions.

Which Christians?
I've known Christians for whom I was not good enough, on account that I was not a Christian.

Well some people who call themselves christians do avoided relationships with non-believers. Often because they have been instructed that it is a danger to their relationship with Jesus to form relationships with people who do not believe in Jesus.

Then there are other Christians who only avoid the arrogant Jesus/Christian hating atheists simply because they don't like being around arrogant dicks.

But if one wants to fulfil the call of Jesus to share the message to all peoples and if one has love for their fellow man one will associate with non-believers in a positive way.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

And how many Christians would respect another who was friends with prostitutes and did not hide it?

If it was made clear that the friendship was not a statement of support for their friends prostitution practices then other Christians would have no right to look down on another Christian for befriending a prostitute.

If they did then it would be their failing.

Sure, but poorly. Unless people think they are justified in having the role of Jesus without his insight and wisdom. He makes specific suggestions to others that go against many interpretations of this section. Here he describes himself, in other places he tells others what they should do and not do or in what state they should be in - sinless, for example - before they have the right to do them.

I am not disputing that followers of Jesus can and do use this section, but one can only hope their children use the same logic to justify their own actions against parental injunctions.

Well, you don't have the Holy Spirit - so who are you to say?!

:p

Yes He will judge. He will separate the rightious from the wicked. He will

That does not justify anyone else doing it. Jesus is justified to do it. Not His followers.

If it was made clear that the friendship was not a statement of support for their friends prostitution practices then other Christians would have no right to look down on another Christian for befriending a prostitute.
No, that is not Christlike at all. Why is the onus on Jesus or anyone else to explain to potential judgers what his/their friendship means or does not mean? You seem to want a contract or justifications to not judge.

Generally, theists consider non-theists (ie. atheists and agnostics of various kinds) to be people who are not worthy to be associated with.
In fact, associating with non-theists is considered bad for one's spiritual advancement.

In theistic scriptures, we can find instructions such as:

Association with persons who are not spiritually advanced is forbidden. Lord Caitanya advised, asat-sańga-tyāga: one should avoid persons who are attached to the temporary. Asat is one who is too materially attached, who is not a devotee of the Lord and who is too attached to women or enjoyable material things. Such a person, according to Vaiṣṇava philosophy, is a persona non grata.
source

The question is:

How come some theists engage in lengthy discussions - and often, fights - with non-theists?

We could debate whether that counts for "association" or not.

But the simple truth is that hours spent with someone - are hours spent with someone.

Do theists actually believe they won't be adversely affected by all that interaction with non-theists?

Do theists actually believe that not being friendly with the non-theists (if we define "association" as 'being friendly with') will do away with the negative effects of associating with unsuitable people?

Would that not be like thinking "When I am in close breathing space with someone with the flu, I will simply not engage in being friendly with them, while having long ongoing conversations, and this will protect me from getting sick" -?

IDK about where you are but in the US (at least where I am) religion doesn't exactly come up much. In fact I have no clue on the religious orientation of most of my friends. It doesn't effect our relationship unless we were going to go to church together or something. Then again most people that I am willing to hang out with don't define themselves by their religion.

@Pineal --

I don't think you can justify slavery on Jesus' teachings - I don't think he says anything.

Luke 12: 47

“And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes."

Here Jesus explicitly condones the beating of slaves. In order to condone the beating of slaves one must also condone slavery itself.

Back