Why do people believe?

the nature of having a self is equal across the board, although the expression of that self is filtered through the mind and body - hence we draw up distinctions not only of species but also gender, age, nationality etc

I agree, but are animals fundamentally different than humans ? I can only guess from your answer, my guess would be that you say they aren't.

I agree, but are animals fundamentally different than humans ? I can only guess from your answer, my guess would be that you say they aren't.
depends whether issues of the mind and body are viewed as fundamental.
I however don't view them as such (at least in my saner moments)

depends whether issues of the mind and body are viewed as fundamental.
I however don't view them as such (at least in my saner moments)

So the answer is no.

Next question: How come animals don't need to believe in God ?

So the answer is no.

Next question: How come animals don't need to believe in God ?

Let me introduce you to a word in the Quran which defines religious opinion

zanna — self-indulgent guesswork about matters that nobody can be certain of one way or the other but which makes people quarrelsome and stupidly sectarian

from the verse:

Most of them only follow conjecture. While conjecture does not avail against the truth in anything. [10:36]

Let me introduce you to a word in the Quran which defines religious opinion

zanna — self-indulgent guesswork about matters that nobody can be certain of one way or the other but which makes people quarrelsome and stupidly sectarian

from the verse:

Most of them only follow conjecture. While conjecture does not avail against the truth in anything. [10:36]

Well, that surely includes God himself.

Is that last bit from the verses about animals ?

because they are perfectly satisfied in their activities of sleeping, eating, mating and defending

But there is no fundamental difference between humans and animals, you said so yourself. It's no a real shocker though, since humans are animals.
I am perfectly satisfied not believing in God. Why should I believe in God ?

Back