Why believe in the bible?

If you understood the nature of love, you would see that God does not sanction evil but neither does He seek His own way and so He is patient

Ezekiel 9: 4-6

And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem....let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women...."

Surely c20, you agree that we must emulate God in all things and reject arbitrariness for He is a God "who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:16)

Now why don't you show me the a) patience and b) love and c) failure to "seek His own way" in the said passage.

Provide contextual evidence or admit that you are subject to mere speculations and variableness.

§outh§tar said:

And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem....let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women...."

Surely c20, you agree that we must emulate God in all things and reject arbitrariness for He is a God "who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:16)

Now why don't you show me the a) patience and b) love and c) failure to "seek His own way" in the said passage.

Provide contextual evidence or admit that you are subject to mere speculations and variableness.

I will not be tricked into judging God. Who led you astray when you knew the truth of the Gospel of Christ? The message of Good News?
You know as well as I do that God is sovereign over His creation and that He may destroy and create as He sees fit. How could it be any other way? You on the other hand should accept the grace shown to you because Jesus came to show you God's abundant mercy in offering His Life for yours. The Lamb of God is Life unto you but you know this. Who has tricked you away from the Truth?

love

c20

c20, honestly asking: ARE YOU AN IDIOT?

The question was:

--

----

There was NOTHING in there about judging God and you are obviously too full of yourself to even answer the question directly.

§outh§tar said:
c20, honestly asking: ARE YOU AN IDIOT?

The question was:

--

----

There was NOTHING in there about judging God and you are obviously too full of yourself to even answer the question directly.

honestly answering : Yes I am an idiot

And I am way to afraid to judge God. His ways are His ways. I am a clay pot and he is the potter. Yes I am an idiot. I am nothing. Not fit to wipe His shoes.

you say amoeba-man, that your god does not sanction evil, but the same sentence you say his wrath will be poured out on the wicked ( is'nt that evil)

Thus the word of the LORD came to me: Son of man, prophesy! say: Thus says the LORD: A sword, a sword has been sharpened, a sword, a sword has been burnished: To work slaughter has it been sharpened, to flash lightning has it been burnished. Why should I now withdraw it? You have spurned the rod and every judgment! I have given it over to the burnisher that he might hold it in his hand, A sword sharpened and burnished to be put in the hand of a slayer. Cry out and wail, son of man, for it is destined for my people; It is for all the princes of Israel, victims of the sword with my people. Therefore, slap your thigh, for the sword has been tested; and why should it not be so? says the Lord GOD, since you have spurned the rod. As for you, son of man, prophesy, brushing one hand against the other: While the sword is doubled and tripled, this sword of slaughter, This great sword of slaughter which threatens all around, That every heart may tremble; for many will be the fallen. At all their gates I have appointed the sword for slaughter, Fashioned to flash lightning, burnished for slaughter. Cleave to the right! destroy! to the left! wherever your edge is turned. Then I, too, shall brush one hand against the other and wreak my fury. I, the LORD, have spoken. (Ezekiel 21:13-22 )

The angel of the Lord went forth and struck down one hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. Early the next morning they were there, all the corpses of the dead. (Isaiah 37:36 )

Jesus will send his angels to gather up "all that offend" and they "shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." (matt 13:41-42, 50 )

Jesus says that we should fear God since he has the power to kill us and then torture us forever in hell. (luke 12:5)

I dont think audibles is wrong, and dont how you could think otherwise.

c20H25N3o said:
honestly answering : Yes I am an idiot

And I am way to afraid to judge God. His ways are His ways. I am a clay pot and he is the potter. Yes I am an idiot. I am nothing. Not fit to wipe His shoes.

AGAIN

I am NOT asking you to judge God, I said provide evidence from that verse to show me how me the a) patience and b) love and c) failure to "seek His own way".

NOTHING at all about judging God. Just provide contextual evidence, is that too hard?

§outh§tar said:
AGAIN

I am NOT asking you to judge God, I said provide evidence from that verse to show me how me the a) patience and b) love and c) failure to "seek His own way".

NOTHING at all about judging God. Just provide contextual evidence, is that too hard?

But you are asking me to define things for you in terms that you understand.
You are looking for me to say "Sorry m8. I guess you are right. Sheesh. Damn I have been so stupid all along :("
But it is not like that. I know the heart of God. It lives in my heart. It reveals itself to me even as I type. It is living words. All I know is that with my whole heart and body and mind I live to serve this God whom I will call God Almighty.
He is revealed to me by the Holy Spirit. I am not permitted to answer your question because I do not know the answer. This does not cause me to doubt what is inside of me though. The truth is plain to see. Obvious to me. You are asking me to justify your unbelief by agreeing with you that the Bible looks hokey. I am not permitted to do that. Please understand that. I am not permitted to. It is not in my nature to curse the Word of God for your sake, for the scriptures contain not just words but power unto you. One is not supposed to question either it's authenticity or it's power. I for one am convinced that Jesus came as a human being. I need say no more than that. I cannot give you the contextual evidence you are looking for. Sorry.

c20 :eek:

c20 amoeba-man if you cant provide any source material, why are you debating in the religious forum.

everybody else has somesort of reference material, but you, one of the most staunch advocates for religion have none. as you would say, sheesh m8.
and just a querie, if you dont question how do you learn.

Goodness gracious c20

The verse has NOTHING to do with having faith in Jesus. I am sure your spiel is very moving but it really has nothing to do with whether Jesus came as a human being or not or whether to have faith or not. I am neither asking you to judge God, condemn the Bible, not admit you are wrong.

I said provide evidence from that verse to show me how me the a) patience and b) love and c) failure to "seek His own way".

the preacher said:
c20 amoeba-man if you cant provide any source material, why are you debating in the religious forum.

everybody else has somesort of reference material, but you, one of the most staunch advocates for religion have none. as you would say, sheesh m8.
and just a querie, if you dont question how do you learn.

That is my question. You see, without the Bible, c20 would not know what Holy Spirit is or what the Trinity is or who Jesus is (or was alledged to be). Therefore to say he is incapable of providing any source material and is just claiming "faith", then he really has no justification for calling anyone a "snake" or "brood of vipers" because that is simply unsound and obviously ad hominem.

§outh§tar said:
That is my question. You see, without the Bible, c20 would not know what Holy Spirit is or what the Trinity is or who Jesus is (or was alledged to be). Therefore to say he is incapable of providing any source material and is just claiming "faith", then he really has no justification for calling anyone a "snake" or "brood of vipers" because that is simply unsound and obviously ad hominem.

Actually I had never really shown any interest at all in the bible before my conversion, and I am probably the most ill-read Christian on the face of the earth still today.
The fact is I am a religous man who has faith in the Christian God. I like to discuss religion in forums created for such a purpose. I admit first it was like walking into the lions den here in atheist world and I remember Katazia really stripping me down to size. It taught me a lesson. Katazia had really wanted to tell me about her beliefs in gene modification and science and progress and I don't really think I actually listened to her. Well not until the end of the thread anyway. At the end of that thread I understood where she was at. Simple as that. I think at the end we were sort of friendly to eachother and had an unspoken agreement just to agree that we couldn't find common ground as far as our differing faiths and beliefs went. It was a great debate in hindsight. No outcome but debates are not commities as such where people are expected to decide on an outcome.
I do not decide to end up with an outcome here.
I will defend my faith though. I am a defender of my faith. When a man comes and purposefully craps on your lawn, you want to shout at that man, call him a dirty snake. You know. You don't blame me for defending my faith do you? I am sure you would do the same. Hell, this is just a debating forum after all, and a religous one at that. Respect is not something that should be cancelled out because someone has a differnt faith to you. That's just plain old disrespectful. Bet your daddy didn't teach ya to be rude to strangers now did he? I am a stranger. A stranger in a strange land who carries a sword called faith. I will fight with it to protect it because 'faith' is a holy attribute whether you like it or not. Just plain old common sense should tell you that faith is a good thing. I will not use it to disgrace God's name. That is not 'good'. I read the bible and find much of it written in fantastical terms. This does not mean that I know better than it. I take my life as I find it much as you. I personally see a bright beautiful flower in the middle of the book. It speaks of love and opens up to me. I love it. I see God's hand in it and I love Him. He is alive. You once knew this. You do know this.

c20

however c20: in all forums, here or on the web, if you make a claim, you must be able to back it up.

Yo c20 dude,

In this unpredictable world, whatever you find to give yourself strength...go for it. And dude, you`re kinda cool in an endearing way. I am glad for you.

Hey, hey, my, my...

pavlosmarcos said:
however c20: in all forums, here or on the web, if you make a claim, you must be able to back it up.

I cannot give you the proof you seek because faith does not require proof.
Faith just believes and hopes and lives in love until those hopes are fulfilled.
The Christian holds dear to these words "I am coming soon!" after hearing these words "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

This is why Christians are told to "Be ready" and to love one another.

peace

c20

never ask if faith required proof, but we do. but are you a true xian, you can prove that cant you. you could be false.

Jesus says "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves." Matt 7:15

and "Then if any man shall say to you Lo, here is the Christ, or, Here, believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs and false prophets and shall show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the very elect." Matt. 24:23-24

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." 1st John 4:1

you see how can we trust that you are what you say you are

"Therefore by their fruits shall you know them. Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by your name and by your name cast out demons, and by your name do many mighty works? And I will profess to them, I never knew you. Go away from me you who work evil." Matt 7:22-23

you could be one of them for all we know.

pavlosmarcos said:
never ask if faith required proof, but we do. but are you a true xian, you can prove that cant you. you could be false.

Jesus says "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves." Matt 7:15

and "Then if any man shall say to you Lo, here is the Christ, or, Here, believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs and false prophets and shall show great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the very elect." Matt. 24:23-24

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." 1st John 4:1

you see how can we trust that you are what you say you are

"Therefore by their fruits shall you know them. Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by your name and by your name cast out demons, and by your name do many mighty works? And I will profess to them, I never knew you. Go away from me you who work evil." Matt 7:22-23

you could be one of them for all we know.

Let not your heart be troubled pavlosmarcos. You do well to test the spirits.

1 John 4:1-3,

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; and this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world." (1 John 4:1-3)

Response from c20 - Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.

Satisfied? Perhaps you will believe me now?

peace
c20

c20H25N3o: I cannot give you the proof you seek because faith does not require proof.
M*W: Again, no one on sciforums gives a rat's ass about your faith. We want answers. We want proof of the existence of God and Jesus, and you have failed to prove they exist. Your faith cannot be documented scientifically, but only delusionally.
c20: Faith just believes and hopes and lives in love until those hopes are fulfilled.
M*W: More delusion. Faith is a non-entity. Faith has no IQ. Faith has no documentable evidence. Faith lives in delusion.
c20: The Christian holds dear to these words "I am coming soon!" after hearing these words "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"
M*W: How long have you been waiting?
c20: This is why Christians are told to "Be ready" and to love one another.
M*W: Paul said this -- not Jesus. When will you ever learn?

M*W: How long have you been waiting?
---
He has been away for 2000 years. My body has lived 19 years but I've not waited for him, not even for a day. But remember that one day for the Lord is 1000 earth years. Do "you" miss him already? After two days? 2200 we have moved to a new time, maybe he will come then. How long did it take between Moses and Jesus? But why would he come here to let us "crucify" him again? He has already suffered the eternal crucifixion for us, maybe he will instead come back to every human heart, individually.

Medicine Woman said:
c20H25N3o: I cannot give you the proof you seek because faith does not require proof.
M*W: Again, no one on sciforums gives a rat's ass about your faith.

You look after your flock. I'll look after mine.

Thanks

c20

Back