Why aren't christians jewish?

Originally posted by Jenyar
It's an expression, like "the power of positive thinking". Nobody is implying that postive thinking is a power by itself.

You're so full of it. Positive thinking IS powerful! It's proof that God resides within.

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
You're so full of it. Positive thinking IS powerful! It's proof that God resides within.
Is positive thinking powerful per se, or does it just empower the person doing the thinking? That's my (or Paul's) point with the cross.

Is positive thinking powerful per se, or does it just empower the person doing the thinking? That's my (or Paul's) point with the cross.

Positive thinking is powerful BECAUSE it empowers the person who uses it and creates all things good to happen.

There is nothing powerful about the cross. It's a sign of defeat.

Positive thinking is powerful BECAUSE it empowers the person who uses it and creates all things good to happen.

There is nothing powerful about the cross. It's a sign of defeat.
It's a sign of injustice and suffering. The resurrection was a sign of victory over these. The cross represents death, but the man on the cross represents life.

It's a sign of injustice and suffering. The resurrection was a sign of victory over these. The cross represents death, but the man on the cross represents life.

Because the One Spirit of God dwells within us, we too are "resurrected" (reincarnated) into a new body and a new life. The man on the cross was the teacher who tried to teach about the power (energy) of God, but his followers made him into a god and the truth has been lost (or hidden or perverted). OUR LIVES represent the One Spirit of God. Otherwise, why would there be a need to teach us about this?

Because the One Spirit of God dwells within us, we too are "resurrected" (reincarnated) into a new body and a new life. The man on the cross was the teacher who tried to teach about the power (energy) of God, but his followers made him into a god and the truth has been lost (or hidden or perverted). OUR LIVES represent the One Spirit of God. Otherwise, why would there be a need to teach us about this?
No, resurrection and reincarnation are two different things, and have different implications. I still don't know why you prefer secondhand information about Jesus. Why not believe that his followers represented his words truthfully? If not Paul, then John, or the gospels? You cannot wrest Jesus from his connection with the God of Israel, he depended too much on the Jewish Laws and Prophets for his credibility.

No, resurrection and reincarnation are two different things, and have different implications. I still don't know why you prefer secondhand information about Jesus. Why not believe that his followers represented his words truthfully? If not Paul, then John, or the gospels? You cannot wrest Jesus from his connection with the God of Israel, he depended too much on the Jewish Laws and Prophets for his credibility.

Resurrection - a lifeless body regains life without the spirit transcending.
Reincarnation - the one spirit moves into a new body (baby) after transcending out of a lifeless body.
Resuscitation - a lifeless body regains life without the spirit transcending.

Why I prefer to believe "second hand" information about Jesus--the first hand information is simply a created myth. I cannot believe his followers represented his words truthfully. Paul is out of the question. I will give John further consideration. Jesus worshipped the God of Israel. He was a Rabbi. He taught the Jewish Laws and Prophets as it was his 'job'. I've never indicated otherwise about this. Since Jesus's original words were misquoted by Paul and others, the only consideration I give are to the known words of Jesus, and I don't take the interpretation of his words from anyone other than my own consciousness and "gift of" discernment.

Jesus worshipped the God of Israel. He was a Rabbi. He taught the Jewish Laws and Prophets as it was his 'job'. I've never indicated otherwise about this.
But do you believe what He taught? Shouldn't you believe in the Old Testament then?
Since Jesus's original words were misquoted by Paul and others, the only consideration I give are to the known words of Jesus
How do you know? Do you have a source of original original words? What about the words quoted by all the other authors, and the Jewish beliefs He must have agreed with if He was a Rabbi?

But do you believe what He taught? Shouldn't you believe in the Old Testament then?

How do you know? Do you have a source of original original words? What about the words quoted by all the other authors, and the Jewish beliefs He must have agreed with if He was a Rabbi?

Jenyar, as I've said, the specific words attributed to Jesus HIMSELF I believe and understand, assuming that these words were not raped by Paul and others. There is not much I believe about the Bible because it's been so distorted. The two great commandments and possibly the beatitudes, and that's about it. No, I don't know if these are the actual words or not, but I am assuming they are for principle's sake. My understanding of what Jesus taught is not what your understanding is. I see Jesus and his words objectively now, not SUBJECTIVELY as I did as an xian. They may be parts of the OT that I can interpret, such as Isaiah. Nowhere in Isaiah does it mention, allude, foretell or insinuate anything about Jesus. xians believe it does to satisfy their argument.

The only SOURCE of original words I have would have been the Catholic Bible (NAS) with Jesus's words in red. I understand Jesus to be a Jewish Rabbi who taught the laws of and traditions of Judaism. He was not a xian. I personally think Jesus knew the "kingdom of God is within." I understand him through this premise. This was his teaching. I don't believe this to be Paul's teaching since Paul made Jesus the savior. The savior as I see it is within...Just like Jesus said. My disavowing xianity is not to disavow Jesus but to understand the TRUTH about him and not what his followers may have said about him. I guess no one really knows the truth about what he said or didn't say. It's not complicated, really. The kingdom of God (the spirit of God) is within--not out there in some undefinable heaven--but within our own soul. This was what Jesus tried to teach the Jews of his time. He did not form a separate religion. That was his followers who made him the savior. Jesus didn't break any Jewish rules, he just tried to enlighten the Jews about the laws. His teachings aimed to enlighten them not save them. The only focus we need to put upon Jesus are to his teachings. Nothing else is necessary.

Of course, I know you will decry everything I have said, because you've already been programmed to believe the myth. Try to open your heart and mind and get to know the real Jesus, not the myth.

That was his followers who made him the savior. Jesus didn't break any Jewish rules, he just tried to enlighten the Jews about the laws. His teachings aimed to enlighten them not save them. The only focus we need to put upon Jesus are to his teachings. Nothing else is necessary.
This is why he predicted that his followers would be thrown out of the synagogs. Jesus did not break the law though. Healing on the Sabath is what the Law should have meant to the Isrealites.

What do you mean by "should have meant"? Healing on the Sabbath was considered work, and as such, forbidden.

What do you mean by "should have meant"? Healing on the Sabbath was considered work, and as such, forbidden.
No, the Sabath was supposed to be the Lord's day. It was the day that the Isrealites were supposed to come to the Lord and rest within him. Mathew 12

Nowhere in Isaiah does it mention, allude, foretell or insinuate anything about Jesus.
Then how did the Jews come to expect a Messiah, or were they deluded too?

Yeah well Christians are fundamentally Jewish, you're correct there. I think the big difference between Christianity and Judaism is that Christians do not alter the body where Jews do. This could be seen as a sign that Christianity has less faith in an afterlife; it has firm faith in this world, but not so much in an eternal spirit. Apparently 'Jesus Wept' too, but I don't know if this was from his upset in the world, or if it was because of his lack of faith in an afterlife.

The major world religions did all come from the same blood line (if my understanding is correct); i.e. they descended from Abraham.

That's all I have to offer on the matter for now anyway. :)

Originally posted by Circe
Healing on the Sabbath was considered work, and as such, forbidden.
So, you know this for a fact? Can you show me any halakhic authority or midrash that forbids healing on Shabbat?

It's been said that Jesus didn't break any Jewish rules. The Bible says otherwise

John 5:16-18

16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Originally posted by Circe
It's been said that Jesus didn't break any Jewish rules. The Bible says otherwise

John 5:16-18
16 And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
Jesus wanted to force them to redefine what "work" and the Sabbath actually means.

What if God was actually His father. What of helping a person on the Sabbath was actually better in accordance with the Law than doing nothing?

Back