Why are humans afraid of death?

Why do they fear not existing? There's nothing to it to fear.
You can't fathom some perks that existence offers over non-existence?

At the very least, if you didn't exist you wouldn't have the opportunity to inform us that there is nothing to fear about non-existence.

(Basically non-existence appears palatable only if one is having a dreadful time)

At the very least, if you didn't exist you wouldn't have the opportunity to inform us that there is nothing to fear about non-existence.

(Basically non-existence appears palatable only if one is having a dreadful time)

Yes, there are some perks in existence verses non-existence for sure, but because we are not in constant contact with those that have died, some posit the thought of non-existence, not knowing any better basicly. there is no such thing as non-existence after the fact. to me it is non-sense in itself.

Total lie? I must have hit upon something really scary to you. The universe is far from perfect, I know, and everytime I converse on this topic, I recieve the same responses, so I am used to this sort of reply. You are speaking of the fear of death, which is, lets see; DUH! If you think it all stops when you quit breathing, just wait.

hmmmm..... Let's see the responses to this.

It's not about whether there are perks or whether nonexistence is palatable.

You're being silly.

Yes, I am a very silly person!! I love to be silly. It is so fun. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong. Afterall, my post compared with light gigantics post, as a form of on topic posting, suggests that we are both discussing the similar issue and that everyone fears death, there is no non fear of death. You can't erase fear of death can you?

That hardly applies to quite a few of us. "Fear" isn't the correct word at all for some - it's the anticipated loss of contact with those that we care for. And for others, it's also not being to accomplish things that they wanted to do.

Loss of contact hurts only if 1 exists. There is no pain in nonexistence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are some perks in existence verses non-existence for sure, but because we are not in constant contact with those that have died, some posit the thought of non-existence, not knowing any better basicly. there is no such thing as non-existence after the fact. to me it is non-sense in itself.

Trying to justify it makes you sound scared.

I agree with these, And I would like to add a couple of others: There is no concrete evidence to assume fear is absent following Death. Personally, it makes no sense that all perception in any form will evaporate after the Death experience. In a way it defies logic to ponder it as so. Hope Springs Eternal, so to speak. Those who do not have a definite belief had better hope so, at least. Also, considering the time we "exist" within a Human life span, it would appear that this is anything but reality. Reality begins after this. So what is this? Anything you care to describe it to be. I think the mistake many make and have made throughout History is the assumption that all is nothingness forever after Death. Simply, no one knows that as fact.

Total lie? I must have hit upon something really scary to you. The universe is far from perfect, I know, and everytime I converse on this topic, I recieve the same responses, so I am used to this sort of reply. You are speaking of the fear of death, which is, lets see; DUH! If you think it all stops when you quit breathing, just wait.

This is off topic.

Yes, I am a very silly person!! I love to be silly. It is so fun. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong. Afterall, my post compared with light gigantics post, as a form of on topic posting, suggests that we are both discussing the similar issue and that everyone fears death, there is no non fear of death. You can't erase fear of death can you?

It is off topic to claim to know something you can't possibly know.

You and Exeter should get together and discuss your fear of death. Maybe both of you can invent some other dimensions or planes of existence just to help mollify the situation.

That hardly applies to quite a few of us. "Fear" isn't the correct word at all for some - it's the anticipated loss of contact with those that we care for. And for others, it's also not being to accomplish things that they wanted to do.
This is what I think. Life has so much to offer and we to offer too...

If science continues to make rapid advancements, there may be immortals walking among us even now. Maybe some of us?

Loss of contact hurts only if 1 exists. There is no pain in nonexistence.

I see you managed to somehow totally miss the point. :shrug: We're not discussing after you die but when contemplating what it's approach would mean to you. Any reasonable person would surely admit that they would rather live longer (if healthy!) and spend more time with those people that have meaning for them.

Why do they fear not existing? There's nothing to it to fear.

Later Addition : This is intended to be about humans' views, emotions, etc concerning nonexistence. Not the act of dying or the pain of it or whatever. Not whether there is an afterlife or what it might be like.

I thought if I didn't mention death, it would be misunderstood yet thought it should be understood by the Title & OP together.

I fear "not existing" (at the present time) because I have children under 18 and who are not on their own and independent. Even though my parents are alive and I have a sister and brother, who love my kids, I feel it would be a burden for them to raise my children.
I think as my kids get older, and more independent, I will feel less fearful about "not existing". Right now I feel my job is not finished.

Back