Who believes and who doesn't?

Who believes and who doesn't?

• You hold a firm belief in a supernatural presence or universal structure of some type

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • You hold no beliefs in the supernatural

Votes: 69 55.2%
  • You are unsure of where you stand on these issues

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one somehow magically shows up, I won't be surprised

Oh come on, you would a bit.

I doubt you would just go "ah well..." then carry on reading the weather report...

Obviously I'd have some kind of reaction, I wouldn't just go "ah well", heh. I mean that I wouldn't be surprised of it's existance. I'd say "oh cool" just like I would if I all of a sudden saw an alien appear in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised of it's existance much in the same way. Although at least with aliens, I have more of a belief in them than an omnipotent god.

- N

I don't believe in God or gods anymore, but I do believe that ther is some great purpose in life. The reason that I have for this is an orginism's will to survive and reproduce. Suely there is a reason that this is implated in every living thing that has ever existed.Hovever, many people don't focus on this purpose for people because religion and society have hidden it.

SnakeLord said:
Nothing supernatural whatsoever... other than Lenny the leprechaun, who does exist. You just need faith.. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, middle one for me.

u seen lenny too? :D

Are you joking? The only way to get to Lenny is through me.

Please send your money to my paypal account. Upon doing so, Lenny will know you love and fear him and thus wont strike you down with lightning.

(Q) said:
I still believe in one less god than everyone else.
I think it's safe to assume that I'm part of the everyone else group here and I'm an atheist so does that mean you therefore believe in -1 god(s) :bugeye: :p

SnakeLord said:
Are you joking? The only way to get to Lenny is through me.

Please send your money to my paypal account. Upon doing so, Lenny will know you love and fear him and thus wont strike you down with lightning.

I met Lenny in an Irish Pub about 5 years ago... me and him kicked it off well, he said i didnt need to pay, cause i bought him a drink. Or atleast I think i did... that night is very blurry :m:

If I had to choose between calling myself an atheist or agnostic I would probably choose atheist. But I decided to pick (You are unsure of where you stand on these issues) because I believe that the only absolute truth is the fact that there is no absolute truth.

q0101 said:
If I had to choose between calling myself an atheist or agnostic I would probably choose atheist. But I decided to pick (You are unsure of where you stand on these issues) because I believe that the only absolute truth is the fact that there is no absolute truth.
The question raised is one of "belief" - not on what you think of the level of available knowledge.

I am an agnostic - as there is insufficient evidence either way (i.e. ZERO), and I am of the opinion that any God, should one exist, is unknowable in the absolute sense.

I am also an atheist - as I do not have a belief that God exists.

Does that help you understand where you fit among the options?

Cris said:
So would a deist deity be a natural phenomenon? I.e. Understandable according to the laws of physics?

Probably not. Assuming one day we finally understand how everything works (that is, physics is "done"), the next question would be to explain why it is all this why... I feel we will never know in our current state of existance.

Cris said:
I guess that should read supernatural universal structure...

I guess adding the term spiritual might have helped.

The first item is meant to capture all religious beliefs in all their varied forms.

"Supernatural"?

To one person the Buddhist notion of karma implies a supernatural effect.

To somebody else karma is absolutely natural, as if by definition.

--- Ron.

I believe, mostly because of the experiences that I've had in life. For example, cancer took someone close to me last year, and some of the things that happened around that time really solidified my beliefs.

I don't think you can convince anyone to believe... it's something that they have to find for themselves.

ggazoo said:
I believe, mostly because of the experiences that I've had in life. For example, cancer took someone close to me last year, and some of the things that happened around that time really solidified my beliefs.

So, god kills someone close to you by giving them cancer and that somehow helps solidify your beliefs?

Why aren't you railing at god?

KennyJC said:
Is this evidence for God, or evidence of humans seeking a thumb to suck?

Nice tone. :rolleyes:

(Q) said:
So, god kills someone close to you by giving them cancer and that somehow helps solidify your beliefs?

Why aren't you railing at god?

Typical atheist point of view. God didn't kill anyone, the disease did. I wasn't just talking about the death itself, I was talking about some things that happened around that time, that was all.

ggazoo said:
Typical atheist point of view. God didn't kill anyone, the disease did. I wasn't just talking about the death itself, I was talking about some things that happened around that time, that was all.

Typical theist point of view. God created all things EXCEPT anything determined by theists to be bad.

So, if god didn't create diseases, who did? And if god didn't create diseases, what else didn't he create?

By any logic of a theist, god MUST have created the disease that killed your friend/relative, and god MUST have given the disease to them, thus god killed them.

(Q) said:
Typical theist point of view. God created all things EXCEPT anything determined by theists to be bad.

So, if god didn't create diseases, who did? And if god didn't create diseases, what else didn't he create?

By any logic of a theist, god MUST have created the disease that killed your friend/relative, and god MUST have given the disease to them, thus god killed them.

And you call theists illogical. :rolleyes: Really though, it's all in how you look at things I suppose.

I'd love to know why teists are painted to such a broad brush. Contrary to atheist belief, theists are not illogical, uneduacted people. Some of the most brilliant people in the history of the world have had a strong faith.

And you call theists illogical. Really though, it's all in how you look at things I suppose.

I'd love to know why teists are painted to such a broad brush. Contrary to atheist belief, theists are not illogical, uneduacted people. Some of the most brilliant people in the history of the world have had a strong faith.

Since when does it matter wether individuals who may be religious are intelligent or not. It does not escape the outright stupidity of their religious beliefs.

Typically speaking though, the higher the level of religious belief in a society the higher illiteracy rates as well as low levels of educational attainment.

I can't see the Bible belt acting as a shining example of human intellect :D

ggazoo said:
And you call theists illogical. :rolleyes: Really though, it's all in how you look at things I suppose.

I noticed you didn't answer my questions yet consider me illogical. Is your non-response and indicator that you're baffled?

If theists are not illogical, why do they believe in that which cannot be shown to exist?

(Q) said:
If theists are not illogical, why do they believe in that which cannot be shown to exist?

Ah, and there is my point.

The subject of God and religion is a very personal one to different people. I know it sounds ludicrous, but God showed Himself to me through my own personal experiences in life, one of which was the aforementioned case.

And hey, if surfing these forums for the last few months hasn't shaken my faith, then nothing will. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back