Which is more important: Secular or Religious education

Which is more important: Secular or Religous education

• Secular education

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Religious education

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
The majority means nothing... I should be allowed to eat pasta also if your religion strictly forbids to eat pasta.

So you are talking about also telling say people in mecca etc that they should not live nder muslim law even if they wnt to?.

Or are you saying your only talking about your country and everyone that lives there cannot live under any religious morals and laws?.

Like are you saying even if you go to saudi arabia you should be allowed to eat pork there no matter if it's illegal?

peace.

SAM said:
When they start talking about eliminating science because of all the bombs it creates, we can discuss it
You think "they" haven't? I've heard that suggested many times.

Secular Humanism is a religion.

At the least, it makes just as many unsupported claims about the nature of the universe as religion does.

LOL. I'm a secular humanist. Care to try again?

It makes quite a few assumptions about the universe, namely:

1) Objective Truth exists
2) Free flow of ideas is the best way to discover this truth
3) Reason Trumps Faith
Finally:
4) A focus on THIS LIFE, as opposed to the next one.

Unfortunately, SH has become quite bastardized of late by atheists who champion it as being the only way to view the universe. People who have forgotten that just because one believes that the Secular world is important and valuable, doesn't mean that the Religious world is not. People who don't remember that the importance Science and Technology and advanced societies in no way diminishes the importance of strong moral values and the possibility of a life after this one.

Balance was always the measure that we needed.

LOL. I'm a secular humanist. Care to try again?

It makes quite a few assumptions about the universe, namely:

1) Objective Truth exists
2) Free flow of ideas is the best way to discover this truth
3) Reason Trumps Faith
Finally:
4) A focus on THIS LIFE, as opposed to the next one.

Unfortunately, SH has become quite bastardized of late by atheists who champion it as being the only way to view the universe. People who have forgotten that just because one believes that the Secular world is important and valuable, doesn't mean that the Religious world is not. People who don't remember that the importance Science and Technology and advanced societies in no way diminishes the importance of strong moral values and the possibility of a life after this one.

Balance was always the measure that we needed.

The religious world is not important or valuable.

The religious world is not important or valuable.

Preface: I hope you realize that by religious, I was referring to the contrast between religious and physical. Poorly phrased, I'm sure, so I'll correct. Metaphysical. Including philosophy, and objective morals, along with the afterlife and suchlike.

If you still wish to continue that line of thought, be my guest.

I will expect more evidence than just your say-so though...

Preface: I hope you realize that by religious, I was referring to the contrast between religious and physical. Poorly phrased, I'm sure, so I'll correct. Metaphysical. Including philosophy, and objective morals, along with the afterlife and suchlike.

If you still wish to continue that line of thought, be my guest.

I will expect more evidence than just your say-so though...

I hope that you will agree with me that philosophy is not a religion and that the afterlife is a theory yet to be proven.

Going back on topic and not at all surprisingly:

Many Americans exhibit declining religiosity during early adulthood. There is no consensus about why this occurs, though longstanding assumptions suggest the secularizing effects of higher education, normative deviance and life course factors. We evaluate these effects on decreasing frequency of religious practice, diminished importance of religion and disaffiliation from religion altogether. Results from analyses of the Add Health study indicate that only religious participation suffers substantial declines in young adulthood. Contrary to expectations, emerging adults that avoid college exhibit the most extensive patterns of religious decline, undermining conventional wisdom about the secularizing effect of higher education. Marriage curbs religious decline, while cohabitation, nonmarital sex, drugs and alcohol use each accelerate diminished religiosity--especially religious participation--during early adulthood.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPorta...&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ769204

Back