Where Are Huge Fossils Forming?

IAC, You seem to lack fundamental knowledge in the basics which in turn is manifesting into misunderstanding. Lets learn about fossils today..

This it a bit taken from Bill Bryson`s, a short history of nearly everything:

IT ISN’T EASY to become a fossil. The fate of nearly all living organisms—over 99.9 percent of them—is to compost down to nothingness. When your spark is gone, every molecule you own will be nibbled off you or sluiced away to be put to use in some other system. That’s just the way it is. Even if you make it into the small pool of organisms, the less than 0.1 percent, that don’t get devoured, the chances of being fossilized are very small.

In order to become a fossil, several things must happen. First, you must die in the right place. Only about 15 percent of rocks can preserve fossils, so it’s no good keeling over on a future site of granite. In practical terms the deceased must become buried in sediment, where it can leave an impression, like a leaf in wet mud, or decompose without exposure to oxygen, permitting the molecules in its bones and hard parts (and very occasionally softer parts) to be replaced by dissolved minerals, creating a petrified copy of the original. Then as the sediments in which the fossil lies are carelessly pressed and folded and pushed about by Earth’s processes, the fossil must somehow maintain an identifiable shape. Finally, but above all, after tens of millions or perhaps hundreds of millions of years hidden away, it must be found and recognized as something worth keeping.

Only about one bone in a billion, it is thought, ever becomes fossilized. If that is so, it means that the complete fossil legacy of all the Americans alive today—that’s 270 million people with 206 bones each—will only be about fifty bones, one quarter of a complete skeleton. That’s not to say of course that any of these bones will actually be found. Bearing in mind that they can be buried anywhere within an area of slightly over 3.6 million square miles, little of which will ever be turned over, much less examined, it would be something of a miracle if they were. Fossils are in every sense vanishingly rare. Most of what has lived on Earth has left behind no record at all. It has been estimated that less than one species in ten thousand has made it into the fossil record. That in itself is a stunningly infinitesimal proportion. However, if you accept the common estimate that the Earth has produced 30 billion species of creature in its time and Richard Leakey and Roger Lewin’s statement (in The Sixth Extinction ) that there are 250,000 species of creature in the fossil record, that reduces the proportion to just one in 120,000. Either way, what we possess is the merest sampling of all the life that Earth has spawned.

Moreover, the record we do have is hopelessly skewed. Most land animals, of course, don’t die in sediments. They drop in the open and are eaten or left to rot or weather down to nothing. The fossil record consequently is almost absurdly biased in favor of marine creatures. About 95 percent of all the fossils we possess are of animals that once lived under water, mostly in shallow seas...

Let me know if you want a copy of the book.

Huge creatures need to be covered with sediment rapidly, so they aren't completely scavenged and decayed away, so where is this happening today?

So where are huge creatures being covered with sediments to soon thereafter be lithified for retention of the morphological integrity of the fossil?

underneath New Orleans right now...it's on top of a huge sediment pile that is slowly consolidating.

Huge creatures need to be covered with sediment rapidly, so they aren't completely scavenged and decayed away, so where is this happening today?

So where are huge creatures being covered with sediments to soon thereafter be lithified for retention of the morphological integrity of the fossil?

Ja nee. Jy is slim soos n dom vark meneer.

Here's something for you:

A Fossil Map Turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica) from Central Michigan Richard L. Wilson. Copeia, Vol. 1966, No. 2 (Jun. 21, 1966), pp. 368-369

This is a currently extant species, yet was found as a fossilized form. Ergo, recent.

As for the process of fossilization:

http://www.texaspaleo.com/psa/newsletter/2004/2004-06.pdf

The Morrison Formation is not a landslide, and tell me the last news flash about a rancher losing cows to a landslide, or Bedouins having their camels buried in sand, right under their noses, to soon thereafter become a fossil in a vast sandstone layer.

The dinosaur fossils in the Morrision were not just caused by landslides. They were also caused by dinos getting stuck in ol' mudholes.

Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry, Utah: First excavated by Lee Stokes in 1937. In the Jurassic, the quarry was a mudhole where several enormous sauropods got stuck and apparently caused a feeding frenzy that lured and trapped many carnivorous dinosaurs. Most of the allosaurs are from this site, as well as the unique Stokesosaurus and Marshosaurus.

Also, many of the fossils were fossilized on the bottom of lakes:

Fossilization is actually a rare occurrence because most components of formerly-living things tend to decompose relatively quickly following death. In order for an organism to be fossilized, the remains normally need to be covered by sediment as soon as possible. However there are exceptions to this, such as if an organism becomes frozen, desiccated, or comes to rest in an anoxic (oxygen-free) environment such as at the bottom of a lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil

Did you know that 99% of the fossils in the vast sedimentary layers on the continents are marine creatures, hmmmm, I wonder how that happened?

First, I don't know that that's true since I haven't seen your link, and second: simple. I would assume many of them are invertebrates, no? They have shells rather than bones, and there are many, many, many more of them than larger organisms on land or in the sea. Second: as per NDS's post - many of them probably sank into oxygen-deplete depths. Mass dieoffs are far more likely at sea, too, because of red tides and the like.

Where is that happening today to large creatures?

As I've told you millions of times before, fossilization is an extremely rare event. How often do you see elephants getting stuck in mudholes? Not too often. Humans have only been looking at fossils for 200 years. 200.

The earth has been around for billions of years.

You do the math.

So it's not happening today to large creatures, good, we agree, now what were the conditions when vast layers of sediments entombed billions of creatures, 99% of which were marine creatures?

IAC, I find it odd that you keep bringing up the fact that 99% of fossils are marine creatures.

The fact that 99% of fossils are marine creatures clearly proves an old earth, evolutionary model, not a Global Deluge.
(Actually it is 95%, based on your own website - http://www.genesisveracity.com/Articles/Article2.htm. Interesting how you inflated the number to 99% on this forum.)

Now, if the fossil record showed millions of land vertebrate animals mixed together all in one layer with fish, humans, birds, dinosaurs, etc., then that would constitute as good evidence for a Global Deluge.

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah, I know, IAC. You are that big of a joke. :D

So it's not happening today to large creatures, good, we agree

Yes, IAC, it probably isn't happening today (April 28, 2007) , and the next time it happens (an elephant gets stuck in a mudhole, landslide, etc.) may not be until 10,000 years from now (which of course is like the blink of an eye in terms of total earth time).

It's all an odds game, my good friend Ice.

Back